Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsec
Apr 17, 2007
Did anyone else notice the film swapped around both the historical personality and physical appearances of Beria and Krushchev? I mean, Krushchev was historically the kind of jolly, bullying fat guy that Beria was portrayed as. Beria was the kind of creep Buscemi just looks like and sometimes plays for other roles.

I mean, just look at these-

Or was that the joke? That these guys are basically interchangeable when under the pressures of power and/or the threat of state execution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I know little of the actual happenings in Moscow in '53, outside what a Soviet Historian mate ran me through after watching DoS, but I'm pretty sure that Beria photo is pre-fat bastard. Finding ones around 1950 is hard since he was apparently exceptionally zealous in making sure only his WW2 era pictures like what you posted were publicly available.

Best I can find-
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...ure-id104406575
https://goo.gl/WzQD21

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Corsec posted:

Did anyone else notice the film swapped around both the historical personality and physical appearances of Beria and Krushchev? I mean, Krushchev was historically the kind of jolly, bullying fat guy that Beria was portrayed as. Beria was the kind of creep Buscemi just looks like and sometimes plays for other roles.

Or was that the joke? That these guys are basically interchangeable when under the pressures of power and/or the threat of state execution?

Beria looks a lot like Armando Iannucci in that picture.

I saw the movie this weekend and i loved it. It was exactly what I expected.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Corsec posted:

I like to think that they modelled Beria after Dick Cheney.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Paingod556 posted:

I know little of the actual happenings in Moscow in '53, outside what a Soviet Historian mate ran me through after watching DoS, but I'm pretty sure that Beria photo is pre-fat bastard. Finding ones around 1950 is hard since he was apparently exceptionally zealous in making sure only his WW2 era pictures like what you posted were publicly available.

Best I can find-
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detai...ure-id104406575
https://goo.gl/WzQD21

yeah, none of these guys were exactly the picture of health

(although Molotov lived until the late 80s and loving Kaganovich missed outliving the USSR itself by a few months)

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
Oh also, Buscemi yelling "I will bury you" at Beria's burning corpse was cringe-worthy. Yeah! We know! Khruschev said that! In an entirely different context!

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

Oh also, Buscemi yelling "I will bury you" at Beria's burning corpse was cringe-worthy. Yeah! We know! Khruschev said that! In an entirely different context!
It was a little shoehorned in but I think Buscemi saved it with his delivery. And it’s a pretty cathartic moment in the movie considering how horrible Beria was.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Corsec posted:

Those photos are a bit cherrypicked age-wise. Krushchev was not a fat old man when Beria there was photographed.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
Uh I've seen the extremely accurate documentary Enemy at the Gates and Khrushchev was fat and old in that, checkmate atheists.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Was the part about everyone taking part in the cleanup at stalins dacha being executed at all accurate

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

Was the part about everyone taking part in the cleanup at stalins dacha being executed at all accurate

No, pretty sure it was just a bit. If everyone had been executed, we probably wouldn't know about it anyway.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I was extremely amused by this movie until the point where I felt bad for laughing.

It felt like everyone else in the theatre had a similar reaction.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I loving loved this movie, and laughed several times. People probably will leave it feeling like they know more about Soviet history than they really do, because there are definitely some inaccuracies and things that are exaggerated or underplayed, but as a dark comedic movie using the Soviet Union as a backdrop, it was tremendous. Jason Isaacs did steal the show, but the surprise for me was how good I thought Tambor was as Malenkov.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I loving loved this movie, and laughed several times. People probably will leave it feeling like they know more about Soviet history than they really do, because there are definitely some inaccuracies and things that are exaggerated or underplayed, but as a dark comedic movie using the Soviet Union as a backdrop, it was tremendous. Jason Isaacs did steal the show, but the surprise for me was how good I thought Tambor was as Malenkov.

Tambor is pretty consistently amazing, it's a real pity he's such a piece of poo poo.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Looks like this is for rent on Amazon now! I know what I'm watching this weekend!

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

Does anybody know if the Home Video release in the US has a commentary track?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

HannibalBarca posted:

Does anybody know if the Home Video release in the US has a commentary track?

The DVD version doesn't. Don't know about the Blu Ray

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The "sneeze in the wrong place and get shot" punishments shown in the film weren't historically accurate, but without those scenes you can't really get across just how hosed and paranoid everything was in Stalin's Russian in a way an audience of people unfamiliar with that era will comprehend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Finally got around to watching this. It owns.

• Locked thread