Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The 1993 film with Thomas Kretschman is absolutely fantastic. Obviously not an easy watch, but great. It's from the German side, and it's got this unique sense of doom running through it, as if the characters know they're on the wrong side of history, but also know they can't stop. It manifests early on, even when they're on leave in Italy.

It also has a tank assault that's one of the best battle scenes ever filmed.

On a completely unrelated topic, there was some possibly german film, possibly pre war, that showed a full scale tank battle using hundreds of real tanks. I know that's an impossibly vague description, but does anyone know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

I'm pretty sure there was a russian film that did that.

I have a feeling it's 'The Battle of Neretva' but I'm hoping there's another, as I'm a sucker for those old style epic films.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Sinteres posted:

I loving loved this movie, and laughed several times. People probably will leave it feeling like they know more about Soviet history than they really do, because there are definitely some inaccuracies and things that are exaggerated or underplayed, but as a dark comedic movie using the Soviet Union as a backdrop, it was tremendous. Jason Isaacs did steal the show, but the surprise for me was how good I thought Tambor was as Malenkov.

Tambor is pretty consistently amazing, it's a real pity he's such a piece of poo poo.

• Locked thread