Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Syrio Blanky lives, and will be the main character in season 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I really enjoyed the season but would have preferred the monster be ambiguous. Like it was never clear whether it was a mean rear end polar bear or an evil spirit and maybe it was their desperation and superstition that made it seem supernatural. Most of the time it could have looked like a polar bear from a distance but maybe toward the end there could have been a POV shot of the monster face as it's about to eat the victim. It would have given the story another level of depth. But I hope they find some excuse to make more exploration series. More arctic stories would be great as many of those expeditions suffered.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'll not have Mrs. Chippy and the sled dogs be put down on camera

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The Chad Icemaster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg49TFHC-qo

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

wormil posted:

I really enjoyed the season but would have preferred the monster be ambiguous. Like it was never clear whether it was a mean rear end polar bear or an evil spirit and maybe it was their desperation and superstition that made it seem supernatural. Most of the time it could have looked like a polar bear from a distance but maybe toward the end there could have been a POV shot of the monster face as it's about to eat the victim. It would have given the story another level of depth. But I hope they find some excuse to make more exploration series. More arctic stories would be great as many of those expeditions suffered.

In the book they sometimes see in the distance what could be a polar bear, only for it to get up on two legs and bumble walk like a man, an image I found very amusing.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
It's been a long time since I've hated any TV character like I hated Hickey. Just his smug face on screen made my blood pressure rise. Adam Nagaitis is fantastic

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He was trouble the moment he started trying to undermine the ship's dog in the pilot.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just finished the last episode. My only quibble with the series was Hickey. you saw him coming from a mile away. And who would follow this guy, anyway? Most of those low level guys had never been on an arctic voyage, so there's no way in hell they'll survive alone.

I thought the rest was stellar. Watching this with headphones on was the best. I need to find recording of ships creaking and popping for my white noise at night.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Hasselblad posted:

Syrio Blanky lives, and will be the main character in season 2.

He should have crawled out of Tuunbaq's mouth, covered in utensils, and murdered Hickey.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I figured you're supposed to be aware of how manipulative and creepy Hickey is from his very first appearances, I never got the feeling it was supposed to be a surprise. He stands out from the rest of the crew with how he behaves, and the more perceptive crew members (Goodsir, Crozier) pick up on it immediately.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just finished the last episode. My only quibble with the series was Hickey. you saw him coming from a mile away. And who would follow this guy, anyway? Most of those low level guys had never been on an arctic voyage, so there's no way in hell they'll survive alone.

I thought the rest was stellar. Watching this with headphones on was the best. I need to find recording of ships creaking and popping for my white noise at night.

There’s an album called ‘Salt Marie Celeste’ that is spooky atmospheric boat music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3xC4DK6G0do

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Make a request to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCvVWCrxq_aZr7fN_KpaGGTA

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

I figured you're supposed to be aware of how manipulative and creepy Hickey is from his very first appearances, I never got the feeling it was supposed to be a surprise. He stands out from the rest of the crew with how he behaves, and the more perceptive crew members (Goodsir, Crozier) pick up on it immediately.

Oh, for sure. It just seemed shoehorned in. Show still would've been specatacular without having A Guy With An Agenda. Just the survival stuff, and the interaction with Silence and her people, would've been plenty of moody tension to keep it going. Add internal strife after they've been stuck in the ice for a while when it would naturally happen - don't have a guy who stole another guy's identity jump on the boat and start jacking up stuff before anything interesting happens.

I did like how Tuunbaq had human-like ears, though. I thought it added a nice creepy detail that I hadn't noticed before.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I think Hickey saw the writing on the wall and was proactive in making plans for when things went to hell. He lacked the blind faith and optimism many had in the captains, especially after learning Crozier was going to leave. It's not so different than how many of us build networks inside and outside our workplace but Hickey was twisted + scurvy + lead + hopelessness, and his plans became insane. Although given the situation there is another way of looking at it .. he understood they were going to die and the only possible way out was joining with this powerful spirit. If your choices are die or insane plan, why not try the insane plan?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I have to do a rewatch. Wasn't Crozier just stepping down from his position? I never read it as a "leaving" thing. Of course (IIRC) That whole thing through to the gallows thing wasn't even in the book.

Think I may do a re-read as well.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hasselblad posted:

I have to do a rewatch. Wasn't Crozier just stepping down from his position? I never read it as a "leaving" thing. Of course (IIRC) That whole thing through to the gallows thing wasn't even in the book.

Think I may do a re-read as well.

No, he was gonna lead the party searching for help so the men who went with him could say they were forced to.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

I'm clicking like mad and only get blank youtube page!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I adore this book and the series lived up to it! The unending dread and the battle to remain human were so well filmed.

I once had an ICU visit that was almost a month long, during which I was not allowed to eat of drink anything. I assure you, lack of food will literally make you insane. I was hallucinating and trying to plot how to rip open and drink my fluid bag. At another point, I ripped a tube out of my gut and started trying to eat it, thinking it was a Twizzler.

I'll say this - if anything, the starvation was portrayed far less harsh than it could have been.

Does anyone have any links to articles talking about continuing the series in a different setting?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If they make this an anthology, I think they should really push the envelope in the second season. Not Antarctica or Everest or Polynesia or the Amazon (though I'd totally be down with an Amazon season tbh).

Go to Mars.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

The guy Hickey was based on was a loving pharmacist and accrued about 40 followers to do far more evil things than the book.

Rardge Rardge
Jan 20, 2017

Despera posted:

The guy Hickey was based on was a loving pharmacist and accrued about 40 followers to do far more evil things than the book.

Yeah, after reading Batavia's Graveyard I gotta say Hickey's mutiny seemed pretty tame. In terms of heretical sea weasels, Jeronimus Cornelisz is unsurpassed.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I'm clicking like mad and only get blank youtube page!

Odd.
Try this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCvVWCrxq_aZr7fN_KpaGGTA

OK, looks like SA has an issue linking to youtube channels, thinking they are actual videos. So anyhoo, here's a video you can click on to get to the group that creates them. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sL0omwElxw

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Rardge Rardge posted:

Yeah, after reading Batavia's Graveyard I gotta say Hickey's mutiny seemed pretty tame. In terms of heretical sea weasels, Jeronimus Cornelisz is unsurpassed.

That would make a awesome series

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeronimus_Cornelisz

Apparently Russel Crowe's production company secured rights to make a film based on the book Island of Angry Ghosts but the film is still in development hell.

etalian fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 26, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
An historically-accurate Donner Party show made by the same people who made this would be cool.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

An historically-accurate Donner Party show made by the same people who made this would be cool.

well Ravenous was really good.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

American Experience: Donner Party conveys a surprisingly large amount of dread for something on pbs.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Despera posted:

Really! I had no idea. I'm assuming he's based on the Batavia guy? I think I found some new reading to do!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Really! I had no idea. I'm assuming he's based on the Batavia guy? I think I found some new reading to do!

The book owns:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1GTC/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1

It was pretty much the closest think you had to a real work Hickey getting away with succesful mutiny and also setting up
his own personal murderous kingdom.

The book also goes into modern research archeology which collected evident to support all the various primary sources from the Batavia horror story.

etalian fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 27, 2018

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

When I listened to the dollop podcast on it I couldn't stop believing it kept getting worse.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Author Pete Fitzjames has a nice one hour summary of the story:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaVqEVXLPk4

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Been awhile since anything on the HMS Bounty which is a fascinating story.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Polar (wahey) opposite of Franklin's lost expedition: Burke and Wills.

One was too cold, the other was too hot. :v:

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Hickeys first name was Cornelisz lest we forget.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Despera posted:

:wow:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Despera posted:

:psyboom:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Finally got the wife to watch the first episode last night. loving chills in the first scene when the native guy relays the expedition's last message to the search party... "We are gone."

Goddamn.

She's shuffling the kid off to bed so she can watch more :getin:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Finally got the wife to watch the first episode last night. loving chills in the first scene when the native guy relays the expedition's last message to the search party... "We are gone."

Goddamn.

She's shuffling the kid off to bed so she can watch more :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYg8rEDT1RU

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

This scene wasn't in the book at all, I really think it should've been though.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

HorrificExistence posted:

This scene wasn't in the book at all, I really think it should've been though.

A lot of changes were made between the book and series, almost always for the better. The screenwriters did an outstanding job of adapting the book and I think they improved on the source material, which is pretty rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jikes posted:

A lot of changes were made between the book and series, almost always for the better. The screenwriters did an outstanding job of adapting the book and I think they improved on the source material, which is pretty rare.

Well lots of more recent series like The Expanse had the authors said they enjoyed being involved in a TV adaption since it allowed them to tweak or correct weaker
aspects of the source material.