Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Just watched the first 2. AMC really has something here. I'm really enjoying the time period and all the old-timey naval stuff, when they were just on the cusp of what you might consider a "modern" vessel, but still very rudimentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Caesar is a fool to trust Brutus AGAIN. :colbert:

One thing that later expeditions learned was to follow Eskimo technology and clothing--dog sleds, furs. Guys like Peary knew fur was the only thing available at the time to keep you warm. Those wool uniforms were woefully inadequate. But hey, we gotta follow naval regs! :downs:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So this is just one season? Cause I've read the book and I'm not sure more that one season of "Misery on Ice" will work.

Also, where's my Hyperion Cantos mini-series? :argh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Snuffman posted:

So this is just one season? Cause I've read the book and I'm not sure more that one season of "Misery on Ice" will work.

Also, where's my Hyperion Cantos mini-series? :argh:

Scuttlebutt says anthology series, with a new focus each season, ala American Horror/Crime Story.

No word on the Hyperion adaptation, but Amazon just greenlit a $1B adaptation of the Three Body Problem. :shrug:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Scuttlebutt says anthology series, with a new focus each season, ala American Horror/Crime Story.

Never watched American Horror Story, so same actors different story? How odd.

quote:

No word on the Hyperion adaptation,

Aww. :(

On the bright side, most of the adaptations mentioned in that article are done and aired (or ongoing in the Expanse's case) so...soon?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Victorian Hubris Level: 10/10

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I hate that there's a cute monkey. :(

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

tweet my meat posted:

I hate that there's a cute monkey. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYFzTMyEbA

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
HOLY poo poo!

edit: haha, drat there is still 15 minutes left! :tviv:

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 3, 2018

Tugboat Willy
Jun 9, 2004

That was something. :stare:

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
RIP Sir John.

Also that guy who was being given the Christian temptation lecture by the Bible-thumper, I missed the whole deal with that. Was he having a gay relationship with someone else and got found out?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Shitenshi posted:

RIP Sir John.

Also that guy who was being given the Christian temptation lecture by the Bible-thumper, I missed the whole deal with that. Was he having a gay relationship with someone else and got found out?

Its a Royal Navy boat during Victorian times, if its not gay its full of dandys.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh thank goodness that thanks to tonight’s developments they theoretically drop the stupid circus night storyline from the book.

Book spoiler joke rant:
Terrifying Eskimo god avatar ice monster I can believe but starving frozen sailors setting up a circus night with tents and festivities is just too rediculous!:v:

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Shitenshi posted:

RIP Sir John.

Yeah I think I missed something here as well.

Crazy poo poo though, was not expecting that to happen so early on in the season, was hoping for more tension and conflict between the two captains.

And did all the men in the tent die? They glossed over that whole bit.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
He got busted by the christian dude last episode. He had a whole conversation about it with the dude he was banging in this one. Maybe put down your phones while watching or something idk.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Anyone else digging the dialog? It's not Deadwood but it's probably best of the TV shows I'm currently watching

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007
This book is super good and made me feel so drat cold reading it. So far the show is nailing it. Great stuff. Love the Inuit stuff we get in the story and makes me wonder how human beings can live in temperatures like that their whole drat lives. People are friggin survivors man.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

You can't freeze a stiff upper lip.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The AMC stream loving sucks. They like sped up the FPS to 48 and brightened everything in post. It looks like a soap opera.

Stick to Amazon's version

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

I like how they've had previous contact with the eskimo, but apparently no one has gone "you know these people live up here, maybe they got the right idea in wearing tons of furs". Like yeah those peacoats are pimpin' but come on dudes.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Snuffman posted:

Oh thank goodness that thanks to tonight’s developments they theoretically drop the stupid circus night storyline from the book.

Book spoiler joke rant:
Terrifying Eskimo god avatar ice monster I can believe but starving frozen sailors setting up a circus night with tents and festivities is just too rediculous!:v:

That was hands-down the worst part of the book. I got what Simmons was trying to do there, and there were records of really elaborate Christmas festivities on Polar expeditions to keep up morale, but he dialed that poo poo up to 11 immediately and veered it into silly.

The relationship between Hickey (the dude getting the Christian lecture about gayness) and Manson (the dude he was caught being gay with) seems to have been changed (for the better, imo) as well. In the series Manson is an equal of Hickey's intellectually and emotionally, this seems a lot more complex and authentic than the previous gay rapist/simpleminded victim trope in the book.

bloom posted:

I like how they've had previous contact with the eskimo, but apparently no one has gone "you know these people live up here, maybe they got the right idea in wearing tons of furs". Like yeah those peacoats are pimpin' but come on dudes.

That would take Dr John Rae. He was shown as a character in the first few minutes of the first episode of the series, he's the man who shows the Inuit hunter the three photos of the expedition command, when the hunter picks out Crozier as Aglooka. The real Rae was an exploring machine who got sent to the area by the Hudson Bay company and who spent all of his time trekking around the Arctic solo on skis and snowshoes, living off the land the way the Inuit taught him. He's also the only one of the Franklin searchers who thought to ask the Inuit what the hell had happened to them. He got the first solid evidence of the expedition's fate that way, and the oral histories he took down and preserved were a large part of what led to the eventual finding of the ships. Read his books on Project Gutenberg for free, Rae was a badass and a good writer too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rae_(explorer)

Jikes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 3, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I have decided that the monster attacking the ship is a Wampa

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

You haven't seen the size of a pre settler Polar bear.

They'd eat Wampas for brunch.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

11 -12 foot tall easy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It bears repeating.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

11 -12 foot tall easy.

I feel like Joe Rogan.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jikes posted:

That would take Dr John Rae. He was shown as a character in the first few minutes of the first episode of the series, he's the man who shows the Inuit hunter the three photos of the expedition command, when the hunter picks out Crozier as Aglooka. The real Rae was an exploring machine who got sent to the area by the Hudson Bay company and who spent all of his time trekking around the Arctic solo on skis and snowshoes, living off the land the way the Inuit taught him. He's also the only one of the Franklin searchers who thought to ask the Inuit what the hell had happened to them. He got the first solid evidence of the expedition's fate that way, and the oral histories he took down and preserved were a large part of what led to the eventual finding of the ships. Read his books on Project Gutenberg for free, Rae was a badass and a good writer too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rae_(explorer)

Rae's story was a bit of a shame. He collected what information he could find and accurately confirmed the fate of the expedition, including the very strong prospect that the survivors had probably resorted to cannibalism to keep going, but when he returned to Britain and reported his findings he was attacked by Lady Franklin (who was very popular both in London society and with the population at large), her celebrity supporters (one of whom was Charles Dickens, who wrote extensively on the topic) and the government.

It was variously because the search for Franklin and his men had been a cause célèbre at every level of British society for years at that point and the saddest outcome wasn't because anyone wanted to hear, because it demonstrated that Royal Navy discipline collapsed far more quickly than either the Admiralty or the public were willing to acknowledge, because the information came from the Inuit and people were racially prejudiced against them, etc.

No doubt that's why it was never "Sir John".

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Okay I doubt this was the director's intent but I laughed really, really hard at the severed leg burial. I know it's all they had to bury but still. Just the leg all gussied up in a coffin with fake handles painted on the sides. Majestic.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I also thought it was hilarious

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
It's pretty decent so far, not as great as I'd hoped. Overall still a treat,

Ninja bear is getting a bit ridiculous though.

Atarask
Mar 8, 2008

Lord of Rigel Developer
Don't worry it's Ridley Scott so in the end despite this being good we'll get two prequels about the bear heavily laden with religious imagery to ruin it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The way it attacked the hunting blind made no sense to me. The thing seemed to be built up against a pretty tall cliff.

Maybe it's an eskimo ghost bear.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Labes for days posted:

Okay I doubt this was the director's intent but I laughed really, really hard at the severed leg burial. I know it's all they had to bury but still. Just the leg all gussied up in a coffin with fake handles painted on the sides. Majestic.

I had the exact same thoughts. The goofy stocking they put it in didn't help (not that it was bad at all, I think some very dark sort of humor might have been the intent of that scene).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

It's pretty decent so far, not as great as I'd hoped. Overall still a treat,

Well, I mean, for the bear (book spoilers) it's not a bear and it's explicitly a supernatural killing machine in the books so I think it's fine. Also I'm curious to see that long rear end neck and if it looks goofy like it did in my head when that detail is revealed in the book

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Episodes 4 and 5 are apparently out in :filez:-land so watch out for spoilers I guess

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I won't blame anyone for peeking at their christmas gifts but don't spoil it for people who refuse to lol

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I haven't read the book, but I've been aware of it for a long time and did most people go into this not realising there were going to be heavy supernatural elements? People think that's just a bear?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

I wasn't too sure how heavy they were going to go with the supernatural elements and if it was just going to be a bear attacking them or some sort of monster.

By episode 3 it's clearly not just a bear, shouldn't need to spoiler that...

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The very first scene of the show overtly establishes that we are not dealing with just any fuckin bear here

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

The very first scene of the show overtly establishes that we are not dealing with just any fuckin bear here

It's an upperty Spirit Bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Well, it appears to be a bear. Just a very angry, agile bear with a clear mission to kill people. Possibly fueled by demonic angst. They also shot it with a cannon and it survived