Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hell yeah, looking forward to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
I just finished S1 - I enjoyed it a lot, going to get the book from the library today.

I'm racking my brains and maybe I'm just not remembering, but did anyone actually shoot at tuunbaq besides with the cannon? I remember a lot of shooting wildly into the fog and a lot of having the shot but running away instead.

The time jumps were kind of jarring - not so much the ones that were months at a time but the smaller ones - "oh no there's a giant cliff of ice in the way. oh good now we are on the other side."

I've always loved tales & histories of expeditions that were lost because of hubris, I hadn't come across the Inuit oral histories before and the bit in the story from https://www.ric.edu/faculty/rpotter/woodman/inuittales_terror.pdf which recounted one of the sailors telling the Inuit of the ship(s) breaking up really stood out to me -

"...As [he] pointed to the N., drawing his hand & arm from that direction he slowly moved his body in a falling direction and all at once dropped his head side ways into his hand, at the same time making a kind of combination of whirring, buzzing & wind blowing noise. This the pantomimic representation of ships being crushed in the ice."

It almost sounds like pantomiming falling asleep and snoring - just the fact that this detail survived is mind blowing. The ol' campfire story of a dude making explosion sound effects. Man ship hand sink boat ice. So cool.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is S1 streaming anywhere? I couldn't find it on Hulu a few weeks ago.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

moths posted:

Is S1 streaming anywhere? I couldn't find it on Hulu a few weeks ago.

I just finished watching it on Hulu yesterday, I'm in the US.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Yep it's on Hulu as we speak

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well now I feel dumb. They must have put it back up to hype S2.

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
And it’s on Amazon Prime in Canada, if other people are looking for it 👍

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That video isn't available for me but this one is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTP0E1itFVA

:wtc:

I get that S1 had the magical bear but... this looks like it'll be utter trash. It'd be great if I'm wrong and it's actually good, but if not, we always have Chernobyl.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just finished George Takei's graphic novel about his experience in an internment camp and it was really good. As a kid he was told by the older kids that the barbed wire and guards were to keep dinosaurs out, but the book never mentioned anything about ghosts. Different camp, I guess.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hasselblad posted:

I want nothing less than a mummified leg in a stocking and shoe.

That was the funniest loving thing when I first saw it

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010
I just rewatched S1 and liked it even better.

I love how devastating everyones' character arcs are. Crozier goes from drowning himself in drink to someone with incredible inner strength but loses those who value it most, Fitzjames goes from hiding behind vanity to choosing to fully reveal himself because he knows that otherwise the choice will be taken from him, Goodsir's barely contained enthusiasm to the complete death of his hope, Hickey's early manipulations to keep his own vanity & ego satisfied then to his amusement at how people fall over themselves to justify following him - everyone finds out who they truly are but it's all for nothing. Love it!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Libandano Urfam posted:

I just rewatched S1 and liked it even better.

I love how devastating everyones' character arcs are. Crozier goes from drowning himself in drink to someone with incredible inner strength but loses those who value it most, Fitzjames goes from hiding behind vanity to choosing to fully reveal himself because he knows that otherwise the choice will be taken from him, Goodsir's barely contained enthusiasm to the complete death of his hope, Hickey's early manipulations to keep his own vanity & ego satisfied then to his amusement at how people fall over themselves to justify following him - everyone finds out who they truly are but it's all for nothing. Love it!

If anything the show really captured what the downward spiral of the expedition felt felt for the actual history.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I finally saw the whole of S1 and I'm still processing eveything, but 1) was the Tuunbaq's face meant to look like Crozier and 2) was it always the same spirit we saw earlier in the medical area?

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

moths posted:

I finally saw the whole of S1 and I'm still processing eveything, but 1) was the Tuunbaq's face meant to look like Crozier and 2) was it always the same spirit we saw earlier in the medical area?

I don't remember enough to know what your second question refers to, but I never saw anyone's face in Tuunbaq, just a slightly more humanoid bear.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Thanks, I couldn't tell if it was my imagination or face-blindness kicking in.

In the medical bay there's a dying man who sees a spirit, and I can't remember enough about that scene to be helpful. (I think it was from the first or second episode.) It might have been the shaman astral projecting?

Something in the new trailer reminded me of it though and I'm failing Google.

E: this guy!

moths fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Aug 12, 2019

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I think the spirit we see in the medical bay was the Tunnbaq’s shaman handler, warning the sailors to stay away. Of course the shaman is shot later and the Tunnbaq goes on the rampage.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Did anyone catch the first episode of S2 last night? I have it on the DVR for this evening.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Did anyone catch the first episode of S2 last night? I have it on the DVR for this evening.

I did! Pretty neat. I guess the entire series is available for AMC Premiere subscribers, but I'm not one of them.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Kinda weird that nobody's posted about it yet! Looking forward to watching, but I have a busy week.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh poo poo I’ll have to start watching tonight.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Is good?

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Took awhile for them to start with the supernatural stuff in season 1, but they aren't wasting any time here. From a guy being compelled to stare in the sun to an insufferable yank getting what he deserves from some demon to an undead ghost lady sewing her rotting face up at the end there.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zzulu posted:

Is good?

Seems good so far, but leaning much harder into the supernatural elements this season.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Seems good so far, but leaning much harder into the supernatural elements this season.

Yeah, if you wanted them to tease you with it, you're not getting that. They're leaning hard into full-on The Grudge territory.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
I enjoyed the first ep. The characters so far are a little bit caricatured, but I think that's just the writers trying to be economical. The production value so far is great, definitely living up to the standard set by the team in the first season. It's creepy and deliberate. Looking forward to the next ep.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

One thing I liked about the first season was how it could have easily stood alone without supernatural elements. Disappointing to hear this season leans into that side more but I'll still give it a chance.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
They're going full blown Under the Skin aren't they?

The season is good so far. The unique (and very much topical) setting is coming into it's own and just like season 1, a full horror story is emerging.

My only critique is that the cast isn't nearly as star studded as the first season was. Good performances, I guess Jarred Harris can't physically be in everything.

Libandano Urfam
Apr 23, 2010

Libandano Urfam fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 21, 2019

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Maybe it's just me, but I thought it was a disappointing second ep compared with a good first ep. It was just...boring. Oh no, a creepy Japanese girl staring at people. Yawn. I hope it gets better as we go along, but I was so bored.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
This season so far is just more sad and depressing than anything.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Anyone taking bets on what the core group of Terminal Islanders did to that girl back in Japan?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Watched the first episode and didn't like it.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

They're going full blown Under the Skin aren't they?

The season is good so far. The unique (and very much topical) setting is coming into it's own and just like season 1, a full horror story is emerging.

My only critique is that the cast isn't nearly as star studded as the first season was. Good performances, I guess Jarred Harris can't physically be in everything.

Its garbage and holy poo poo is it boring

Makes me embarrassed for liking the first season

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
Makes me smug as hell though

mobby_6kl posted:

That video isn't available for me but this one is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTP0E1itFVA

:wtc:

I get that S1 had the magical bear but... this looks like it'll be utter trash. It'd be great if I'm wrong and it's actually good, but if not, we always have Chernobyl.

:smug:

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The supernatural stuff is dumb in both seasons, but really dumb in this one. I like the rest though, they could have a great story just with that, but I know, not the point for a "horror" show. :classiclol:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Keyser_Soze posted:

The supernatural stuff is dumb in both seasons, but really dumb in this one. I like the rest though, they could have a great story just with that, but I know, not the point for a "horror" show. :classiclol:

I would have loved the first season without the magic. The show could have still been scary if it was just a normal polar bear in addition to people going crazy with lead poisoning. The magic bear with the human face being real and not a hallucination ruined it and took me out of the show.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The supernatural stuff is basically there to explain away unknowns and avoid making everyone act like idiots as a way to explain failure. We don't know what happened to HMS Terror (not exactly), and if you go back I think articles were posted saying the lead shouldn't have been a primary problem. Ghost Bear adds a way for the writers to fend off Tactical Decision complaints.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Counterpoint: Inuit mythology is dope as poo poo, and the Tuunbaq added a sense of mystique, antagonism, and colour to a show that would otherwise have just been a depressing slog about a bunch of white men dying horribly. A few bad CG shots aside, the horror was very effective, and it legitimately heightened the overall feeling that they were treading in a place they had no right being in.

I have no opinion about the season 2 stuff yet, I've only seen the first episode, but Tuunbaq fuckin owned.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
In case anyone was wondering, I think I'm gong to give Season 2 one more episode before bailing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
In related news, this article came out yesterday and it's pretty neat

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/science/arctic-shipwreck-frozen-in-time-astounds-archaeologists/ar-AAGs8oD?li=AAeKimm