Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Quixotic1 posted:

May I also add this show makes me want to find out more of the sailor terminology and tech of the era. For example, double steering wheels with one guy in-between them, covered entrances to get below deck, and the whole discussion about what the dog's rank was was tops when I saw a chart somewhere that shows what a mess rankings was back then.

I can answer those questions. The reason for the double wheels are two fold. Steering is basically ropes wrapped around a barrel between the wheels, down to pulleys and on to the rudder. If you have a big loving wheel on one side of the barrel and tension from ropes away from the center, it creates torsion and the the deely is horribly unbalanced. The bigger the wheel, the bigger the barrel and the more wraps around it, creates a lot of fine adjustment.
Secondary it gives a boat two helmsman in bad weather or in an emergency, holding course in a storm with following seas or a crashing up and down big swell and your helmsman ends up banjaxed, you have a backup. Going beam on to the waves is pretty much game over. Hence why the rudders and steering systems where overbuilt like motherfuckers.

The hatch/companionway is to keep water out.

Naval ranks were a clusterfuck. I can't help. If you didn't have a stateroom, you didn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I bet there was a lot of sodomy in the navy

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Episodes 6, 7 and 8 are out. Looks like 9 and 10 are as well.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
On Amazon? Because I just checked (in the US) and it says only the first 4 episodes are out.

Source4Leko fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 10, 2018

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
On Prime video the first 8 episodes are out.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Is there any reason why there arent any sub titles on Ep 5? Is that a creative decision so that we dont actually know what the Silent Woman is talking about and we can only guess how hosed the crew is?

Gaj fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 10, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Not seeing anything past Ep4 on Prime, but the whole season supposedly leaked in Japan and AMC Premium has all episodes available.

If it ends up on Prime I will totally binge the rest tonight. If anyone else decides to forge ahead, too, please spoiler tag anything from the unaired episodes for appointment viewers!

Gaj posted:

Is there any reason why there arent any sub titles on Ep 5? Is that a creative decision so that we dont actually know what the Silent Woman is talking about and we can only guess how hosed the crew is?

In the first two episodes, they sometimes used subtitles and occasionally let the actors translate for us. If there are no subs, I would assume it to be an artistic choice.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If there is one thing nautical shows are good at it’s showing how awful punishments can be. Keelhauling in Black Sails and like a boy in this. Yikes.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

George H.W. oval office posted:

If there is one thing nautical shows are good at it’s showing how awful punishments can be. Keelhauling in Black Sails and like a boy in this. Yikes.

"Men were flogged on the Terror, tonight..." I never realized how horrid that must have been to even just watch. The officer constantly looking back at Crozier for permission to stop early, and then finally just stopping after 23 was hard to watch.

Black Sails and this have done an amazing job of showing why these public punishments were so horrifying to witness.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006

Gaj posted:

:filez: There were subs for the inuktitut in ep 5. Anyone else binging the rest of the season?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Grandma Panic! posted:

:filez: There were subs for the inuktitut in ep 5. Anyone else binging the rest of the season?

Yea. Episode 6. :stare:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I've done watched it. I'm not sure I like the way the show decided to end things. But then I read how the book ended things and I'm not sure I liked how that went either. I guess I was never that keen on how the story used the Inuit - and I never thought the supernatural aspect of it was necessary to drive the plot forward. I felt like the elements, hunger, sickness and conflict in the group itself were more than enough to get you some drive and some antagonists. I think those are far more interesting than the fantasy elements as well.

Them changing the end from "I'm one of your chosen people now and also we're having sex" to "I killed one of your gods and now I'll become one of you" felt like kind of a lateral move in terms of how gross it ended up being. I mean people keep saying that Dan Simmons went off the deep end at some point, but I feel like it was always there in some form.

Show was really well made though. I enjoyed it mostly.

Grandma Panic!
Nov 4, 2006
"We reconfigure, we reinvent, we rearrange."

Who did the music for the show? It's really well done.

Grandma Panic! fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 11, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm not sure about the scene of captain Brutus going through the theater masks in episode 6. It's well shot, but they ramped up the sense of dread to the point where it felt ridiculous considering that nothing actually happens.

e: ep6 spoilers i guess?

bloom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 11, 2018

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I always wondered why everyone but Crozier turns into a skeleton in the credits..

About Tuunbaq.. He sure looks he has almost a human face at the end.

As for the end (I peeked too!) I kinda wish they'd had just one more episode to explain what happened to the crew that was left behind in the ships, unless I missed something. Was hoping they might provide an explanation (or even something made up) about the story the Esquimaux mentioned when they boarded the Terror after everyone left IRL.. they claimed there was the corpse of a 'huge man with teeth the length of their fingers' below decks that they decided to leave alone.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 11, 2018

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Watched it all, and it turned out to be a much better adaptation than I'd anticipated.

The only things they left out from the book as far as I can tell was Crozier shacking up with Silna in the end and cutting out his tongue to become a shaman, as well as the long-rear end fictional mythic backstory of the Tuunbaq detailing its place in Inuit mythology. Also, the Tuunbaq didn't die in the book, did it?

Maybe I missed something, but I never understood why Dr. Stanley decided to kill himself and everyone else by burning the carnival tent. In the book the carnival ends when the Tuunbaq tears into the tent and kills a bunch of guys.

I liked the little revelation when you find out Hickey isn't really Hickey, he's some criminal who murdered the real Cornelius Hickey and stole his papers.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

bloom posted:

I'm not sure about the scene of captain Brutus going through the theater masks in episode 6. It's well shot, but they ramped up the sense of dread to the point where it felt ridiculous considering that nothing actually happens.

Do you mind putting stuff like this in spoilers?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

R. Mute posted:

I've done watched it. I'm not sure I like the way the show decided to end things. But then I read how the book ended things and I'm not sure I liked how that went either. I guess I was never that keen on how the story used the Inuit - and I never thought the supernatural aspect of it was necessary to drive the plot forward. I felt like the elements, hunger, sickness and conflict in the group itself were more than enough to get you some drive and some antagonists. I think those are far more interesting than the fantasy elements as well.

Too many book to show adaptations of books (Check out "The City and The City", it is also good!) I read a long time ago...but the show seems to have less of a supernatural element than what I recall from the book.

Tuunbaq is still there but he's way less of a force than he was in the book. Mid-book he's an omni-present threat picking off the crew. In the show they cut back his role so much, I'd say the show would have been better to have him be removed entirely.

I'm on episode 8, so I'm not sure how the show will differ its ending but it seems pretty clear its going to diverge somewhat.

Probably for the best because the book ending was stupid.

Also, despite my earlier supposition Carnival Night still ended up being a thing, but I liked it moreso in how the show did it. In the book the carnival is almost an otherworldly labyrinth to the point that Crozier can't even figure out how the crew made it. Then Franklin gets eviscerated in half by Tuunbaq. . In the show, I think they had a much better idea of viewing the weirdness of the Carnivale through the eyes of Crozier and his alcohol withdrawl/recovery.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Snuffman posted:

In the book the carnival is almost an otherworldly labyrinth to the point that Crozier can't even figure out how the crew made it. Then Franklin gets eviscerated in half by Tuunbaq. .

Having not read the book, that actually sounds kinda awesome if it was written well

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

bloom posted:

e: ep6 spoilers i guess?

His blood drips on the mask.

Comrade Koba posted:

Maybe I missed something, but I never understood why Dr. Stanley decided to kill himself and everyone else by burning the carnival tent. In the book the carnival ends when the Tuunbaq tears into the tent and kills a bunch of guys.

He knows they're all going to die and wants to give them a mercy kill.

quote:

I liked the little revelation when you find out [spoiler]Hickey isn't really Hickey, he's some criminal who murdered the real Cornelius Hickey and stole his papers.

I think this might be a nod to how show and book used the character of Hickey. They looked at a list, picked out the most villainous sounding name and made this person who died a brutal death into a monster. It's a way of saying "this character isn't the guy on the ship, no disrespect meant"

Milo and POTUS posted:

Having not read the book, that actually sounds kinda awesome if it was written well

It's based a little too much on the Masque of the Red Death. One of the characters is inspired to do it by having read that short story. There's a ticking clock and lots of different colored rooms

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

Figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure because he really didn't seem to think the whole lead poisoning thing was a big deal when he was told about it.

Ague Proof posted:

I think this might be a nod to how show and book used the character of Hickey. They looked at a list, picked out the most villainous sounding name and made this person who died a brutal death into a monster. It's a way of saying "this character isn't the guy on the ship, no disrespect meant"

Huh. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's actually pretty nice. :unsmith:

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Comrade Koba posted:

Huh. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's actually pretty nice. :unsmith:

I think he might be the only character on both ships who is just bad from the start. Magnus is too simple. The others are scared or starving or they feel betrayed or their brains are full of lead.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

My problem with that idea, is throughout the show he was a doctor without bedside manner, cold and uncaring. He seemed the type to follow the clinical procedures to the book. The opposite of Goodsir, who comforted the man suffering what seems like PTSD.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Quixotic1 posted:

My problem with that idea, is throughout the show he was a doctor without bedside manner, cold and uncaring. He seemed the type to follow the clinical procedures to the book. The opposite of Goodsir, who comforted the man suffering what seems like PTSD.

He really seemed more like the reserved gentlemanly suicide type than public self-and-also-others-immolation.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Also Icemaster Blanky is top tier.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Not much point in those of us not binging ahead to bother with this thread anymore it seems.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hasselblad posted:

Not much point in those of us not binging ahead to bother with this thread anymore it seems.

I'll still be live-posting the new episodes and peeps are doing a good job of spoilering. :shrug:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Binary Badger posted:

Was hoping they might provide an explanation (or even something made up) about the story the Esquimaux mentioned when they boarded the Terror after everyone left IRL.. they claimed there was the corpse of a 'huge man with teeth the length of their fingers' below decks that they decided to leave alone.

Maybe gumline receded so far back on a guy with already big chompers?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Binary Badger posted:

As for the end (I peeked too!) I kinda wish they'd had just one more episode to explain what happened to the crew that was left behind in the ships, unless I missed something. Was hoping they might provide an explanation (or even something made up) about the story the Esquimaux mentioned when they boarded the Terror after everyone left IRL.. they claimed there was the corpse of a 'huge man with teeth the length of their fingers' below decks that they decided to leave alone.

Have you read the book? Because that's in there.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Its just ends up feeling out of place because up until that point, terrifying arctic monster excluded, the book had been pretty grounded.

Franklin's death on the otherhand is way more brutal. He gets ripped in half by Tuunbaq, thrown into the ice water and as he dies he thinks to himself "How can I dance with Lady Jane? I have no legs. A man with no legs can't dance. :smith:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Quixotic1 posted:

I thought it fit rather well with his character. He's not necessarily uncaring, he cares about the welfare of the men - and that's just the thing that led him to mercy killing. When Goodsir brings it to his attention, he immediately grasps the severity of the situation. What lay ahead for the men was a long and painful struggle towards death. Goodsir's reaction to this is thinking that there has to be something they can do, that they have to act and that there's surely still hope. And even if there isn't, he cares too much about the men to admit defeat. By the time Goodsir has explained the situation to him, Dr. Stanley has done the mental math in his usual cold and calculated style. He says he'll think of a plan and makes clear that he'll be the one taking responsibility for what's about to happen - "I will do. You will not." He spares Goodsir a decision he knows Goodsir won't be able to make or handle, which fits perfectly into the whole nobless oblige vibe he's got going on.

Compare Goodsir to the tv doctor who'll slam his fists into the chest of a dying patient, giving CPR and yelling 'Live, drat you, live!' while the rest of the room has already given up. Stanley's the type to solemnly flick the switch on the respirator.

I haven't read the book, but if the whole Carnivale scene was based on the Masque of the Red Death, this might be the thing that made it to the TV adaptation. The Masque of the Red Death's about a group of nobles hiding out in an abbey while a mysterious plague called the Red Death ravages the outside world. Short story even shorter, the Red Death does end up inside and the story ends with "And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all." It's about fatality and the futility of trying to stave off death.

I do think it's poorly set up in the adaptation, though. It feels kinda out of left field. I think that's the problem with having so many side characters each with their own tiny plotlines - you can work that stuff out in a book, but they just don't fit into a tv show. Happened with a bunch of characters, really. Even Fitzjames - to the point where in ep 8, when they start by fleshing out his character some more, I was already thinking: 'That doesn't bode well.'

And to have something that isn't in spoilers: Jared Harris looks a lot like Charlie Brooker.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quixotic1 posted:

Also Icemaster Blanky is top tier.

Yup.

Being badass as tying forty forks to his exterior because he knows it's going to make him super painful to eat. That might be part of why Tuunbaq's dead at the end.. also dead from eating the sailors who were freshly poisoned a short while before..

Ague Proof posted:

Have you read the book? Because that's in there.

Guess I gotta go read it again.

Ague Proof posted:

I also took it that he (Dr. Stanley) may have been suffering from the lead poisoning himself that made him cuckoo for cocoa puffs that much that he'd want to kill everybody so no one survives to tell some court tribunal what a poo poo doctor he was.

Also don't like how Lady Silence disappears with no other explanation so suddenly.. and how it seems ambiguous as to whether the kid he's posing with at the end of the story is his and LS's kid or not. Maybe she had another miniseries to film? But everything else was fine..

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Binary Badger posted:

Yup.

Being badass as tying forty forks to his exterior because he knows it's going to make him super painful to eat. That might be part of why Tuunbaq's dead at the end.. also dead from eating the sailors who were freshly poisoned a short while before..

Once again the glorious british empire defeats savage natives through the power of industry and a stiff upper lip. :britain: And by giving their own dudes lead poisoning because that was the cheapest way, but let's not talk about that.

Having finished the series, it was overall a good watch. Some things didn't work(cheap cgi, never really selling the cold, the whole supernatural angle being kinda unnecessary) but the show did a great show of showing what a descent into hell something like that must have been.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

I guess I do still have a question about the final ep:

What was up with the Edward Little face-piercing thing?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

R. Mute posted:

I guess I do still have a question about the final ep:

What was up with the Edward Little face-piercing thing?

Lead poisoning combined with a high stress situation will gently caress people up I guess? I had a bit of a "wait what" moment at that, but then it had been established that they had a pile of women's clothing aboard and that people were packing unnecessary poo poo for the trek so maybe Little was just acting out some deep buried fantasy about facial jewelry. A supposedly stoic british officer doing something like that goes well with the whole hell angle.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It was a little odd that they were still hauling around a ton of junk toward the end.

Also, Goodsir poisoning himself felt like an odd thing, especially since that it in terms of story didn't really make any difference.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Oasx posted:

It was a little odd that they were still hauling around a ton of junk toward the end.

Real world history spoiler: What they found in the boat.

The large quantities of uneaten chocolate are the puzzling part. They resorted to cannibalism before they ran out of every piece of safe food they had. Sure, it's not nutritious but it's better than that.

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 11, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Ague Proof posted:

The large quantities of uneaten chocolate are the puzzling part. They resorted to cannibalism before they finished it.

Just how nasty was 19th century navy standard issue chocolate if a dude's leg seems more appetizing?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

On the whole a drat good show that started amazing and ended pretty good. The first half was definitely stronger than the latter and the last few episodes kinda fit the definition of petering out. Even when things went bananas in the end nothing really crept me out like the diving scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Ague Proof posted:

Real world history spoiler: What they found in the boat.

The large quantities of uneaten chocolate are the puzzling part. They resorted to cannibalism before they ran out of every piece of safe food they had. Sure, it's not nutritious but it's better than that.
AFAIK, chocolate doesn't have the necessary amount of protein to allow you to survive in general and especially not in conditions like that. The "Boat Place" was also far from the end point of the expedition - it'd make sense if they dumped everything but the bare necessities at some point. If you consider that they might've at that point still believed they'd run into more game and hadn't considered cannibalism as a possibility, leaving behind the chocolate isn't necessarily that much of a mystery.