Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Where are you guys binging? Is the whole season up if you buy it on Amazon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I liked how the book explains this: the two skeletons are Hickey and Manson, who are the last two survivors of Hickeys party after he kills the rest one by one as he descends into madness and has delusions of godhood. The boat is pointed back towards the ship because that’s where the group were heading once they split off from the main party. The reason one skeleton is in disorder while the other is intact is that the Tuunbaq shows up and eats parts of Manson’s corpse, but refuses to touch the dying Hickey after sensing the corruption on him.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
What was up with giving ships super ominous names? Just saying that if they were on HMS Gay Viking none of this poo poo would have happened.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

bloom posted:

What was up with giving ships super ominous names? Just saying that if they were on HMS Gay Viking none of this poo poo would have happened.

They were both warships, specifically bomb ships, before being refitted to exploration

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

They were both warships

So was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Viking :colbert:

I guess 100 years can make a big difference in warship naming conventions.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Christ ep 9 was hard to watch

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

bloom posted:

You would never be able to get away with this or characters named Mr Goodsir and Magnus Manson in fiction.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Milo and POTUS posted:

Even when things went bananas in the end nothing really crept me out like the diving scene.

Evidently the diving suit was historically accurate, as diving suits of that type existed as of 1830 (Expedition was in 1848) and could have been part of the equipment.

It's interesting as that guy in the diving suit literally brings Tuunbaq to the camp to kill everyone later. He definitely seemed to be going more and more nuts ever since he saw the flailing spectre. What I don't really like is that the spectre doesn't ever come up again and you just know that guy had to tell somebody.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
The ending of the show sort of went off the rails for me (though I've never been able to make it through more than the first few chapters of the book, so it may have been even more ridiculous), but overall I enjoyed this series quite a bit. It was very atmospheric, if nothing else.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Evidently the diving suit was historically accurate, as diving suits of that type existed as of 1830 (Expedition was in 1848) and could have been part of the equipment.

It's interesting as that guy in the diving suit literally brings Tuunbaq to the camp to kill everyone later. He definitely seemed to be going more and more nuts ever since he saw the flailing spectre. What I don't really like is that the spectre doesn't ever come up again and you just know that guy had to tell somebody.

There's one shot of Collins looking at the flaming doctor in episode 6 that called back to it I felt. But yeah the drowned sailor/avatar of death was the scariest bit in the show. I didn't like how demystified Tuunbaq became in the last two/three episodes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread became G14 Classified real quick.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Question on my mind recently, why would artic explorers need Marines on the ship? Did they really think the natives were that much of a danger?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Quixotic1 posted:

Question on my mind recently, why would artic explorers need Marines on the ship? Did they really think the natives were that much of a danger?

I'd assume a part of it at least was to discourage mutiny. Just pulling that out of my rear end though.

Apparently marines were considered more loyal than your average sailor since they were all volunteers though idk if that would have still been relevant in the 1840s.

bloom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 12, 2018

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

To kill any dangerous 'savages' and animals and to ensure that the 100+ dudes on these ships behaved properly once things got rough

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The English have never shied away from stabbing the underclass to maintain order (source; am English).

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
no spoilers -- however these are my thoughts upon finishing the show

It was amazing, fun, terrifying, disgusting, moody, well acted, well scored, everything. I could nitpick if I wanted to, but I don't want to. Just watch the show. It is worth the watch, and I highly recommend it. Even more so if you have any interest in the idea of exploration, especially of the arctic variety. Sure there are books that you can read that do this better (and I have read them), but as far as a TV depictions, this is one of the best. The supernatural poo poo is also minimal and tastefully done.

I also appreciate that it is a one series and done. For a show this good, part of me wishes there would be more, but the better part of me appreciates that it was done well, and is over.

Just watch it, it makes most poo poo on TV right now look downright embarrassing.

Seriously, watch this show.

Damo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 12, 2018

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Yeah this show was great and made me afraid of the snow, and I just spent 6 months alone in a frozen hell hole. It was very much "Jaws on Ice".

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

this show was very good. the weakest part was definitely the monster though, was thinking it'd almost be cooler if it was an actual polar bear that the lead brained crew freaked themselves out into thinking it was a supernatural monster, and if it was seen a lot less.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Late show spoilers: theres a lot of promise for a man faced giant bear god. Even so, it's rarely as creepy as it should be

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

So I finished the show. It was really good but really weird in how it mixed exploration, the dread of isolation and cold, betrayal from within and a Bear God Monster

One thing I think went over my head was at the very end when Crozier is finding the last remnants of his crew dead and there's a guy with gold chains strapped to his face and beard who says "Close" before dying. What was that all about?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Fartbox posted:

So I finished the show. It was really good but really weird in how it mixed exploration, the dread of isolation and cold, betrayal from within and a Bear God Monster

One thing I think went over my head was at the very end when Crozier is finding the last remnants of his crew dead and there's a guy with gold chains strapped to his face and beard who says "Close" before dying. What was that all about?

I want to say the chains was just the lead poisoning finally getting to them and I want to say the "Close" line was a call back to Crozier telling Jopson in the first episode, "be careful using that word in our line of work, close is nothing, its worse than nothing"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Love that painting, its a disturbing Memento Mori not just to man but to nations.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Finished this up. Incredible limited series. The only thing that bothered me about the ending Crozier says all of his men are dead, but he knows that he left men at the ships with enough provisions to survive for quite a long time. Sure, one could assume that lead poisoning or scurvy would eventually take them, but he could have mentioned them in that moment and tried to check on them later. Would have liked a line or something about this at the end.

Just a small nit to pick, and I really enjoyed this quite a lot.

I can't even believe that there are settlements North of King William Island settled almost contemporaneously to the series. This show (the Inuit) is truly a remarkable example of what humans are capable of.

Also, holy poo poo about the Canadian resettlement of Inuit in the 50s/60s. Very trail-of-tears-esque. Would not have known about this without this show.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Christ ep 9 was hard to watch

The creature feature aspect of the show was somewhat weak but the whole atmosphere of dread/downward spiral really makes up for it.

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 15, 2018

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

etalian posted:

The creature feature aspect of the show was somewhat week but the whole atmosphere of dread/downward spiral really makes up for it.

It makes me think AMC picked it up in spite of it, like they thought the voyage was made up for the story. Would have been just as cool if the creature was just the result of lead poisoning and cabin fever

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Here's a interesting articles on ice mummies from Franklin's doomed expedition

http://www.macleans.ca/society/face-to-face-with-a-franklin-crew-member-140-years-later/

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Quixotic1 posted:

It makes me think AMC picked it up in spite of it, like they thought the voyage was made up for the story. Would have been just as cool if the creature was just the result of lead poisoning and cabin fever

That would've been really cool. I think the lead poisoning angle was a little wonky, some people seemed completely fine, others just completely lose it early on. Maybe that's how it works though?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I just started the book, so will go looking in TBB now

etalian posted:

Here's a interesting articles on ice mummies from Franklin's doomed expedition

http://www.macleans.ca/society/face-to-face-with-a-franklin-crew-member-140-years-later/

“He wanted me to go because he’d have a living breathing descendant and an academic at the same time who was going to restore some of the respectability.”
*restores respectability to ancestor by digging up the corpse*

You know, I have always wondered what my great great great grandfather was like.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 15, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hasselblad posted:

I just started the book, so will go looking in TBB now

“He wanted me to go because he’d have a living breathing descendant and an academic at the same time who was going to restore some of the respectability.”
*restores respectability to ancestor by digging up the corpse*

You know, I have always wondered what my great great great grandfather was like.

If he waited long enough on the franklin expedition, full of seamen.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's a pretty painting, but my eyes go straight for and stay on those chillin' puffins.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

appreciated that the subject and style of the series allowed for great monlogues by by harris and hinds.

is tuunbaq something like a sin-eater to the inuit? he never quite comes across as revered but they don't see him as mindless terror or a demon. just something that felt like a theme with goodsir's pleas to lady silence on how they are good men, kind souls and how desperate he is to have her, but mostly himself, believe that. puking up someone as wicked as hickey felt a little on the nose in the end, but still cool. too much manbearpig though, darkness, fog and dread would have been a little creepier. the souls bit was cool.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I still think the dialogue/monologue and the delivery of it was the standout of the show. Again, it's not deadwood good and there were pacing issues (especially towards the end) and occasionally obscure poo poo happening about the midway point but man the writing was so drat solid at a ton of places. My biggest fault with the show was the sound.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Milo and POTUS posted:

My biggest fault with the show was the sound.

Really glad it's not just me. I literally cannot make out what they are saying a good 50% of the time.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

I was about to post how much I like the background sounds of the ships creaking and groaning.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Glad to see Fitzjames stepping up but Crozier has fallen hard! :smith:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finished the show tonight. It was incredible and could not have been more tailor made to be my poo poo.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 17, 2018

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh man the rope holding the captain's table up is such a good touch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:tviv:

drat that escalated quickly.