Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Watched it all, and it turned out to be a much better adaptation than I'd anticipated.

The only things they left out from the book as far as I can tell was Crozier shacking up with Silna in the end and cutting out his tongue to become a shaman, as well as the long-rear end fictional mythic backstory of the Tuunbaq detailing its place in Inuit mythology. Also, the Tuunbaq didn't die in the book, did it?

Maybe I missed something, but I never understood why Dr. Stanley decided to kill himself and everyone else by burning the carnival tent. In the book the carnival ends when the Tuunbaq tears into the tent and kills a bunch of guys.

I liked the little revelation when you find out Hickey isn't really Hickey, he's some criminal who murdered the real Cornelius Hickey and stole his papers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

He knows they're all going to die and wants to give them a mercy kill.

Figured it was something like that, but wasn't sure because he really didn't seem to think the whole lead poisoning thing was a big deal when he was told about it.

Ague Proof posted:

I think this might be a nod to how show and book used the character of Hickey. They looked at a list, picked out the most villainous sounding name and made this person who died a brutal death into a monster. It's a way of saying "this character isn't the guy on the ship, no disrespect meant"

Huh. I hadn't thought of it that way, but that's actually pretty nice. :unsmith:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I liked how the book explains this: the two skeletons are Hickey and Manson, who are the last two survivors of Hickeys party after he kills the rest one by one as he descends into madness and has delusions of godhood. The boat is pointed back towards the ship because that’s where the group were heading once they split off from the main party. The reason one skeleton is in disorder while the other is intact is that the Tuunbaq shows up and eats parts of Manson’s corpse, but refuses to touch the dying Hickey after sensing the corruption on him.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

alf_pogs posted:

edit: i just watched the first ten minutes of episode 1 again with my partner's parents and realised - the first thing Little says to Francis is that "we're close". Francis tells him to be careful how he uses that word. ten episodes later, strung up in gold, it's the last word Little breathes into Francis' shoulder. fantastic. i think this show will reward repeat watchings.

The guy who tells Crozier "we're close" in episode 1 is Jopson, not Lt. Little.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

a lovely king posted:

There are four medical personnel on the ships. Dr. Stanley is the nasty one that burns himself up, Dr. McDonald is the pleasant Scottish one Hickey shivs. Mr. Goodsir (not a doctor, an anatomist) supports Stanley. There's also Bridgens, the older dark haired guy with the beard who was lending books to the other crewman/his lover. He's not specified as a doctor but he seems to be like Goodsir in that he has training but no formal qualifications.

I believe it's Goodsir and Bridgens at the end of this episode. But this show does suffer a little, especially early on, from identical uniformed white dude syndrome.

There was also a Dr. Peddie, who died in the fire. Bridgens has no medical training (I think he was the captains steward on Erebus?) but volunteers to assist Goodsir.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

a lovely king posted:

Ah missed that! Thanks! As far as I'm aware that Dr. never appeared prominently? Not like Stanley and McDonald

Yeah, the only scene I can remember him appearing in is in one of the early episodes where all four doctors are gathered in the sick bay.

As someone said already, the reason he’s even mentioned by name is probably that he was the historical surgeon on Erebus.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Was looking up some details about the historical expedition and found this old blog post which features some interesting photographs (well, daguerrotypes) of some of the officers.

Of course, the real-life Harry Goodsir looked like a neckbearded proto-goon:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

E: I think it’d be cool if they dramatized other lost expeditions either with or without ‘wooooooo mythical monsters’ like the ‘Arctic Balloon Expedition of 1897’
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._A._Andr%E9e's_Arctic_Balloon_Expedition_of_1897

It’d sure be a nice change to have a series about the Arctic expedition where the recovered remains of one member show signs of them being...attacked by a polar bear. :v:

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also, who thinks it’s a good idea to try and fly a hot air balloon to the arctic?!

The same kind of idiot who doesn’t even bother to do a single test run of the balloon he’s supposed to fly all the way to the North Pole, presumably.

That expedition was such a dumb shitshow that if they ever do a TV adaptation of it, it should just have an endless loop of Yakety Sax as the soundtrack.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

If they wanted to keep it as similar as possible, a failed Everest or K2 expedition with yetis would fit the bill

This is literally the plot of The Abominable, another novel by Dan Simmons.

It's...not very good.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Hopefully the ratings are good and they continue to adapt Dan Simmons novels.

Man, I hope they do The Abominable at least, I desperately want to see the whole world react to the insanely dumbshit “twist” at the end.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Caufman posted:

In episode seven, Graham and Crozier are talking. Graham says, "If we make it out of this, the men deserve medals in gold." Crozier replies, "If we make it out of this, the men deserve every gold thing there is."

Graham really liked gold.

That’s James Little. Graham Gore dies in episode 2.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

The cool thing about the book death is that it offers an explanation for why later searchers found an abandoned boat with two skeletons, one of them scattered/damaged and the other one in good condition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Were they def an item or was it just speculation?

I like how they left it ambiguous, they could have been lovers or just very close and affectionate friends.