Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Having never read the book I'll be sad if Goodsir dies. Who am I kidding he's definitely either going to go crazy or bites it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Octy posted:

Bugger me, I find this show to be unbearable to watch. It's not so much the violence, but the implied, always unexpected threat and the creeping claustrophobia of being trapped by the ice. But then, I've spoken to others about this show and none of them find it remotely scary.

The scene of Sir John waking due to the ships stillness and then looking fore and aft and seeing only a solid white featureless expanse in either direction sent a shiver down my spine.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

May I also add this show makes me want to find out more of the sailor terminology and tech of the era. For example, double steering wheels with one guy in-between them, covered entrances to get below deck, and the whole discussion about what the dog's rank was was tops when I saw a chart somewhere that shows what a mess rankings was back then.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Ague Proof posted:

He knows they're all going to die and wants to give them a mercy kill.

My problem with that idea, is throughout the show he was a doctor without bedside manner, cold and uncaring. He seemed the type to follow the clinical procedures to the book. The opposite of Goodsir, who comforted the man suffering what seems like PTSD.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Also Icemaster Blanky is top tier.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Question on my mind recently, why would artic explorers need Marines on the ship? Did they really think the natives were that much of a danger?

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Fartbox posted:

So I finished the show. It was really good but really weird in how it mixed exploration, the dread of isolation and cold, betrayal from within and a Bear God Monster

One thing I think went over my head was at the very end when Crozier is finding the last remnants of his crew dead and there's a guy with gold chains strapped to his face and beard who says "Close" before dying. What was that all about?

I want to say the chains was just the lead poisoning finally getting to them and I want to say the "Close" line was a call back to Crozier telling Jopson in the first episode, "be careful using that word in our line of work, close is nothing, its worse than nothing"

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Love that painting, its a disturbing Memento Mori not just to man but to nations.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

etalian posted:

The creature feature aspect of the show was somewhat week but the whole atmosphere of dread/downward spiral really makes up for it.

It makes me think AMC picked it up in spite of it, like they thought the voyage was made up for the story. Would have been just as cool if the creature was just the result of lead poisoning and cabin fever

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

The same kind of idiot who doesn’t even bother to do a single test run of the balloon he’s supposed to fly all the way to the North Pole, presumably.

That expedition was such a dumb shitshow that if they ever do a TV adaptation of it, it should just have an endless loop of Yakety Sax as the soundtrack.

Just read the wiki on it and i would have canceled the expedition mere seconds after take off and realizing that I'm having to drop more than a thousand pounds of sand and supplies immediately to not crash.

Also it seems all failed expeditions have the common theme of overpacking when the expedition inevitably fails and then have to hightail it to safety.

Ialso now want a lost city of Z mini series with supernatural elements, but I'm afraid I'd be like that failed abc show from I think the producers of Lost about a documentary in the amazon.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I'm now on a lookout for both Blanky's sweater and also the officers' double breasted sweaters.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Talk about chekhov's congreve! What were they even doing on the ship anyway, standard issue or Fitzjames' personal stash?

Also I just realized the Marine is brain dead due to having his soul munched on and not due having a cracked skull.
whynotboth.gif

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

The arctic really seems like a different sort of hell compared to say the Amazon basin, sub-saharan africa, or even Antarctica.

Gimmie a miniseries that features literal bees licking the sweat and tears off your eyeballs.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

etalian posted:

A good spin off would be to do the "Man who ate his boots" story for Franklin's earlier disaster expedition on mainland Canada.

Many scenes of Sir John giving merry speeches to the crew then smash cut scene of crew plotting to eat him alive.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

RCMP did an experiment and their dudes were burning >15k/day hauling sledges. :stare:

I'm trying to imagine how many cans that would be for the entire crew to go along that trip and how many calories could be contained in each individual can.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

When I listened to the dollop podcast on it I couldn't stop believing it kept getting worse.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

I was confused with Jopson's final scene, he looked angry but a part of me wants to say he just wanted to just get back to his captains side, pushing aside food that would nourish him and seeing an illusion of him at his best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

LadyPictureShow posted:

Scurvy can be an explanation for all of that. Heck, even now there’s some doctors stressing that if a patient shows up with new, unexplained emotional/mental problems, doctors should run a blood panel to look at vitamin c levels and see if there’s a deficiency. That part can show up before you hit full-blown scurvy.

And since scurvy and high lead concentration teamed up on these guys, along with starvation diet, no wonder they all went weird.

As for the high officer death count, could have just been coincidence, lousy weather, etc.

I read somewhere that the lead line water tanks might have hit the officers harder since, as officers you'd demand fresh baked bread and not hardtack.