Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i binged this on the weekend; i don't normally smash through an entire season like that but i couldn't stop. this is kind of a masterclass of horror television. best show i've watched in years.

the whole cast is terrific too. Ian Hart and Jared Harris are great, but honestly Paul Ready's Mister Doctor Goodsir takes the cake for best onscreen. every line he has he radiates goodness. the only other thing i know him from is the BBC show 'Utopia' and that character couldn't be more different. the guy has chops.

pretty heavy plot spoilers so don't read unless you want to: the depiction of cannibalism in the last few episodes left me stunned. the imagery is so stark and plain, against the sheer barren landscape, that it's hard to shake. the feeling of total isolation and that these men are absolutely doomed is pretty intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Fartbox posted:

I liked the ending shot of Crozier chilling on the ice next to a kid. Had he finally found peace

the soundtrack in that part and goodsir's death scene is amazing

edit: i just watched the first ten minutes of episode 1 again with my partner's parents and realised - the first thing Little says to Francis is that "we're close". Francis tells him to be careful how he uses that word. ten episodes later, strung up in gold, it's the last word Little breathes into Francis' shoulder. fantastic. i think this show will reward repeat watchings.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at Apr 23, 2018 around 10:22

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hey those who've read the book, can you fill me in a bit on the mythology around the tunbaaq? i enjoy how ambiguous the show keeps it, but i'm still curious what lady silence and her father are up to. and what the tongues are all about

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

give me the conquistadors searching the jungles for gold

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

wormil posted:

I watch it with my daughter and she let me tell her a "spoiler" that they only relatively recently identified Mr Goodsir's remains. I found it humorous that she was disappointed. She said he is her favorite character. I don't think she understood the significance of the first episodes.

we are gone! dead and gone

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh, huh. Good thought there...yeah, I imagine they had to make some concessions like that. Need to rewatch this one, for some reason I thought they just used another actor for "young Hickey," but [insert Goons are bad at watching TV comment here].

spoilers but he has big rant in the last episode that makes it explicit: he killed or otherwise duped the real hickey, and took his place on the boat because he thought he'd get to sip exotic drinks on a beautiful beach. cruelly ironic.

everyone has mentioned the confusion, a lot of reviewers too. i think it's a deliberate choice - by showing a younger, fresh-faced actor all gussied up and excited, in a completely different environment, they're able to trick people into thinking they're nearly the same person. having the officers treat the crew like the audience does - a tough-to-identify group of similarly-dressed white brits - is a good way of leaning into it.

alf_pogs fucked around with this message at May 2, 2018 around 23:00

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

JayMax posted:

the weird-rear end score

in a show firing mostly on all cylinders, the score has been terrific from beginning to end. RIP marcus

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know how far along the show is, I've seen up until around the middle of episode 10. I really enjoyed it until it went off the deep end and completely fell apart around episode 8. I really like the 1800s aesthetic but the mystical bear or whatever really pisses me off because nothing they do seems to even affect it.

you are halfway through the last episode

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bitchymcjones posted:

That one was there before the show. There’s a lot of interesting interpretations on there based on the book’s descriptions. I haven’t looked in a few weeks so it could be more deviant art like on there by now.

Ao3 now has fanfic from the show. I was surprised that the most popular pairing was Crozier/Fitzjames.

stiff upper lip attitudes go a long way with some people

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bitchymcjones posted:

This is my favorite under the Tuunbaq tag.

this would be a good ready player one leg

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Octy posted:

Episode 10: Was there meant to be any significance behind the officer who had pierced his face with his chains or was it just simply to highlight how mad they had all gone? I know I'm probably overthinking it, but that scene really stuck out to me in the otherwise very depressing montage.

i think it's because they've all just gone deranged by being cold and lead-poisoned. from memory, though, it's based a bit in reality - the inuits that encountered the groups of dying british men said they found a corpse decorated as such.

i like the ambiguity a lot - it gives it more power than a deliberate set-up. just this shocking image that comes out of a place between "nowhere" and "insanity".

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

can we start just throwing awards at Tobias Menzies and Jared Harrid for their scene at the start of the episode alone?

"Are we brothers, Francis? I would like that very much." god drat

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Iodised QQ posted:

So Tunbaaq was straight up eating that last guy's soul or something right before the episode ended, right

That's the only thing I can think of that the weird face distortion that was going on would represent

my assumption during the first watch was that it visually represented the massive amounts of drugs he had taken finally wearing off, as he's being devoured. but it does seem like Sgt Tozer sees it happening as well.

back on the Fitzjames "I'm a fraud, Francis" scene. i quite like that the experiences of the men (and the show more explicitly) start to strip away what they think they are, versus who they actually are. Sir John's real feelings towards Francis, Francis' alcoholism, Fitzjames's vanity and self-doubt regarding his upbringing. these characters are contrasted in Hickey: everything we know about him is revealed to be a lie, right down to his name. we never learn anything real about who he really is.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I much preferred Jopson's death in the show than the book. while both made me very sad, Crozier reversing things by caring for Jopson was much nicer than a dying Jopson thinking that Crozier had abandoned him despite his loyal service, and then was left to die by the men on his 31st birthday

there's still an episode to go...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Erotic Adventures Of Tunbaaq And Blanky ... Coming Soon

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I finished the last half of the last episode. This show went from really cool to bad and dumb.

different strokes for different folks, i guess. i felt like the last episode was one of the best in the whole run, but will ramble more about it next week when the series is finished.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Iodised QQ posted:

One thing I learned last night, my man Goodsir was played by an actor named Paul Ready, who was perfect for the role both in talent and already being named after an adjective.

Also this show was good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, cheap cgi and all

Paul Ready is great in whatever he shows up in. check out bbc's Utopia, and the few episodes of The Tunnel that he has a role in

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i think the show does a good job of basically portraying them as totally hosed from episode 3 onwards. as soon as they lose franklin, and crozier's still a drunk, they're doomed.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

I thought that scene was a great expression of how Jopson was feeling over his abandonment: that Crozier at his best was an illusion, hence he's pompously overdressed, detached, literally going through the empty motions of leadership. A great detail it's easy to miss is how grotesque and unappetising the mirage-banquet actually looks; it's a weird stylised mess of jellies, feathers, and chicken legs. The series did a fantastic job with the counterintuitive idea that if all these men are doomed from the start, how they choose to face it down matters a lot.

yet again we return to Mr Blanky being a god drat badass

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

LadyPictureShow posted:

The anger (and boy does Liam Garrigan emote well) was him deliriously believing Crozier and the rest had abandoned him whereas previously they’d dragged the sick and weak in the sledges.

That for all Crozier had said and done before, he didn’t actually give a poo poo about his men, only himself and his position.

the avclub's review of the final episode put it well - jopson's death is so painful because "he dies wrong"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So what was up with the jewelry/piercings on the dude (lieutenant?) who was dying at the end? I feel like I missed a scene or something.

it's left unexplained in the show. in real life, i think it's from a story one of the indigenous people told the explorers who came looking for franklin? he said that they found a british corpse all dressed up as such. by and large i think i am happy to put it down to "horrifying insanity from fatigue, starvation and lead"