Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Haven't read the book, but how many seasons do you think they could squeeze out? I would be shocked if they didn't conclude judging by the episode titles...

Not to say that I wouldn't be stoked for multiple seasons: I'm down for pretty much anything set on a 19th-century sailing ship! :heysexy:

They're calling it a limited series now, but when I first heard about the show they were touting it as an anthology series.

So even if it's not renewed, the expectation is that it finishes whatever story it's telling this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The actors certainly don't seem to realize they are in a horror series, yet. I loved the beat after Sir John berates Crozier, and you can see Crozier struggle to come up with better words, or maybe even a retaliatory insult. That was an amazingly well-performed scene with two phenomenal actors!

Wait, what? You're not arguing that once an actor realises they're in a horror series they'll just start phoning it in?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bloom posted:

Tuunbaq is on LS's eskimo ghost phone as "free dinner"

Funnily enough, that's what Tuunbaq has the Terror's crew down as too.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
If they make this an anthology, I think they should really push the envelope in the second season. Not Antarctica or Everest or Polynesia or the Amazon (though I'd totally be down with an Amazon season tbh).

Go to Mars.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They've said there's a monster.

“an uncanny specter that menaces a Japanese-American community from its home in Southern California to the internment camps to the war in the Pacific,”

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 27, 2018

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hasselblad posted:

Wasn't Fortitude brought up in this here thread? At what point does it get good?

I like the show a lot, so it was probably me who recommended it. It shifts genres around a few times, which I think people found off-putting, it initially presents as Nordic noir, but shifts into sci-fi, and then slasher horror, with hints of cosmic horror all the way through. Which is presumably where it's going in its final season. So if it isn't initially working for you, and I'm guessing from your post that it isn't, it might work for you by the time you get to later episodes.

Or not; I know other goons have reported that they enjoyed the first season but found the second season wanting, but personally I found it to be the other way around. The second season is better paced, with more of the hosed up imagery that the first season occasionally played with. I enjoy how unsentimental and hosed up the show can get, and I enjoy that it largely earns its fuckedupedness by grounding itself in a lot of its earlier episodes. (That's something I liked a lot about The Terror as well. The Terror's first three episodes are largely low incident affairs that slowly move things forward, and it has long periods of solely quotidian nastiness throughout most of its second act. It's only with the fire and the carnival that things really start to get absurd and spectacular).

Fortitude's also not the kind of show that does a lot of explaining, which I occasionally found annoying -- though less so in it's second season, which I think goes with the shift in genre. e.g. the pig in the first episode. There's an explanation for what the gently caress it's doing in hospital (they're using it to help deal with frostbite) but it's not anywhere in the show. I found it in an interview on Vox, of all places.

But if the end of episode six doesn't get your attention, I don't think anything will.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Was there ever any resolution to that one cliffhanger, or is the show better for pretending it never happened?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think I'd have stuck around beyond the third episode if the monster hadn't shown up.

Show has a lot of other things going for it, but those early episodes are achingly slow. Also monsters are cool as gently caress, though I think Tuuny could have afforded to be cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the sound capture was pretty dodgy in both seasons, I thought. Lots of weird crunchy echoes everywhere.