Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I’m kind of stunned at how this show has been tossed out to die in the UK (compare to AMC’s Preacher, which made it onto Prime and was heavily marketed as a result).

Whereas The Terror is appearing on the AMC channel, available only to BT customers...and Episode 1 is just sort of there on the BT YouTube channel, apparently having been uploaded by someone who has no idea what genre the show is supposed to be. What happened there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh wow! I thought this would have been huge in the U.K., it's your history*!

*Historocity up for debate.

I know, right? It’s as if post-Brexit Britain doesn’t want to embrace a show about our nation’s heroes setting out to put our mark on the world and ending up a bunch of directionless, shivering, starving lunatics in a desolate wilderness, vying to eat each other before the polar bear monster gets us

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Ok, I’m now five episodes in after recently reading the book and I have some thoughts:

- The characterisation is fleshed out really well all around. BookCrozier was portrayed as capable and stable in spite of his drinking. The more obviously compromised portrayal here surprised me at first, but it ensured Sir John’s death didn’t seem like such a dead cert, and I suspect it’ll give him a better arc in the long run. Hickey, too, is sympathetically egotistical and wounded where his novel counterpart was mostly just a preening schemer.

- I’m glad they’ve bothered to give Lady Silence emotions, conversational ability, and humanity beyond ‘inscrutable magic foreigner’. It’s easily, gracefully sidestepping the book’s one-dimensional portrayal while keeping to the plot.

- The use of background atmospheric cues to hammer home how bad things are getting is great; just seeing how the snowline has crept closer and closer up towards the deck between scenes did a lot for me.

- Something is off about the attack scenes, unfortunately. The CGI has been mentioned, but I think it’s a combination of creative decisions that just don’t mesh well together. The way the attacks start naturalistically, without violent explosions of noise or musical cues, and with almost comical flailing panic from the human characters. The eerie, offbeat music that does kick in during Blanky’s flight, after a delay. The tendency for characters to be bisected or dismembered neatly by a vague paw swipe. The choice for some of the early, silent stealth attacks to take place on clear days, where we can see the limitations of the set and we *know* there’s nothing hiding in the ice.

I’m keen to see how they build on the horror, but I do agree that strangely, the monster bear isn’t quite pulling its weight here.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-terror-renewed-amc-1202854102/

It’s coming back!

The S2 concept sounds great to me - I’m very excited about this as the Globetrotting Horror Folklore + Man’s Long History Of Inhumanity To Man Show, as opposed to them tackling another expedition, or another disappearance.