Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Watched the first two episodes. Show looks really good.

marxismftw posted:

Looks cold as gently caress.

Except for this. It's really not selling me on the cold. Everything on the ships looks great but outside not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

The land doesn't look super cold at times. That water/ice though.

Oh yeah, the water and ice look great. Snow looks pretty fake at times though and you can't see anyone's breath. The latter is one of those things that immediately stick out in any show/movie taking place in a supposedly cold place.

Don't want to to nitpick too much though. So far everything else has been great

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Zartosht posted:

Might be missing an obvious joke here, but the actor's name is Jared Harris. Anderson Dawes is his space anarchist character from The Expanse.

You spotted that one but not Julius Caesar?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
He got busted by the christian dude last episode. He had a whole conversation about it with the dude he was banging in this one. Maybe put down your phones while watching or something idk.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Victorian Hubris Level: 10/10

I like how they've had previous contact with the eskimo, but apparently no one has gone "you know these people live up here, maybe they got the right idea in wearing tons of furs". Like yeah those peacoats are pimpin' but come on dudes.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Ninja bear is getting a bit ridiculous though.

The way it attacked the hunting blind made no sense to me. The thing seemed to be built up against a pretty tall cliff.

Maybe it's an eskimo ghost bear.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fartbox posted:

Well, it appears to be a bear. Just a very angry, agile bear with a clear mission to kill people. Possibly fueled by demonic angst. They also shot it with a cannon and it survived

Spoilers for legitimately obtained episodes released ahead of schedule: I'm no bear-ologist but I'm pretty sure the head doesn't look right. Then again the CGI for it is pretty bad so I can't be sure what the intention is. Not having read the book, my guess is some kinda spirit bear that's out of control because Lady Silence couldn't go through with cutting out her own tongue.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Fartbox posted:

He will return

as GHOST SIR JOHN

10 years later a british ship is sailing along the coast and see Sir John hitchhiking on the shore. Instead of going back to Britain, he retires from the navy and becomes a lumberjack.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm not sure about the scene of captain Brutus going through the theater masks in episode 6. It's well shot, but they ramped up the sense of dread to the point where it felt ridiculous considering that nothing actually happens.

e: ep6 spoilers i guess?

bloom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 11, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Quixotic1 posted:

My problem with that idea, is throughout the show he was a doctor without bedside manner, cold and uncaring. He seemed the type to follow the clinical procedures to the book. The opposite of Goodsir, who comforted the man suffering what seems like PTSD.

He really seemed more like the reserved gentlemanly suicide type than public self-and-also-others-immolation.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Binary Badger posted:

Yup.

Being badass as tying forty forks to his exterior because he knows it's going to make him super painful to eat. That might be part of why Tuunbaq's dead at the end.. also dead from eating the sailors who were freshly poisoned a short while before..

Once again the glorious british empire defeats savage natives through the power of industry and a stiff upper lip. :britain: And by giving their own dudes lead poisoning because that was the cheapest way, but let's not talk about that.

Having finished the series, it was overall a good watch. Some things didn't work(cheap cgi, never really selling the cold, the whole supernatural angle being kinda unnecessary) but the show did a great show of showing what a descent into hell something like that must have been.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

R. Mute posted:

I guess I do still have a question about the final ep:

What was up with the Edward Little face-piercing thing?

Lead poisoning combined with a high stress situation will gently caress people up I guess? I had a bit of a "wait what" moment at that, but then it had been established that they had a pile of women's clothing aboard and that people were packing unnecessary poo poo for the trek so maybe Little was just acting out some deep buried fantasy about facial jewelry. A supposedly stoic british officer doing something like that goes well with the whole hell angle.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Ague Proof posted:

The large quantities of uneaten chocolate are the puzzling part. They resorted to cannibalism before they finished it.

Just how nasty was 19th century navy standard issue chocolate if a dude's leg seems more appetizing?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
What was up with giving ships super ominous names? Just saying that if they were on HMS Gay Viking none of this poo poo would have happened.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

They were both warships

So was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Viking :colbert:

I guess 100 years can make a big difference in warship naming conventions.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Quixotic1 posted:

Question on my mind recently, why would artic explorers need Marines on the ship? Did they really think the natives were that much of a danger?

I'd assume a part of it at least was to discourage mutiny. Just pulling that out of my rear end though.

Apparently marines were considered more loyal than your average sailor since they were all volunteers though idk if that would have still been relevant in the 1840s.

bloom fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Apr 12, 2018

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
There's definitely something weird about the audio mix. I'm not a native english speaker but almost never need subtitles when watching things. Not generally bothered by accents unless they get seriously thick(think Deadwood or The Wire) and this show comes nowhere near those levels. I was still forced to look up subtitles 15 minutes into the first episode.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Hickey was the top though and he doesn't really seem like the reciprocating type to me. Probably didn't even give the dude a reacharound.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Everything I hear about this show's distribution suggests that AMC hates making money.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I watched the series on a 10-year old cheapo 720p flatscreen and even on that I wouldn't describe the bear cgi as "fine". Rewatching it on my monitor in a real resolution was just goddamn hideous.

imho the show would have worked better if they just dropped the supernatural angle entirely. There's plenty of horrific things to draw from in this story without resorting to ghost bears.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Phi230 posted:

The supernatural is the best part you loser

Actually it's the worst, you nerd. cretin. moron.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

LadyPictureShow posted:

She did it to herself, saying something about Tuunbaq not having a master anymore (or something along those lines).

I was a little confused about the doctor pulling a 180 myself. He seemed pretty ho-hum about the lead poisoning when Goodsir brought it up, then the one patient (the guy with the headaches) asked about his daughter. So I wasn’t sure if he’d gone deranged from lead poisoning/realizing the futility of their situation, or if he just decided euthanasia was the quickest was out and he’d help everyone else whether they wanted it or not.

Looking at pictures of loved ones is like the most obvious way to say "this dude is about to die" in film.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I could totally see a season dealing with the Roanoke colony. Or Dyatlov pass. Hell, there's a whole lot of mysteries in history that have never seen a competently done film/tv adaptation.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Basebf555 posted:

American Horror Story did Roanoke recently and it was a completely wasted opportunity. I was extremely disappointed.

So I take it that's not worth watching? I gave up on AHS when I hit the witch season.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

lmao

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

etalian posted:

Also Tuunbaq gets rejected by Lady Silence despite bringing gifts.

Tuunbaq is on LS's eskimo ghost phone as "free dinner"

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Like a true incel failson, Tuunbaq reacts to being turned down by binging on unhealthy fast food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Professor Shark posted:

a smug self proclaimed god that very quickly learned the wrath of a real god

Enough with the virgin Tuunbaq vs chad Blanky memes already.