Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Professor Shark posted:

I enjoyed the book version in that he was a smug self proclaimed god that very quickly learned the wrath of a real god, but I also like my head-canon for his death in the show.

The whole "not comfortable with him staring at me, I'll just cut his eyes out. I can always fix him later" thing was pretty spooky.

It just occurred to me that they never again mentioned the small handful of guys who remained with the ships after they left them behind (in the show version).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Binary Badger posted:

Presumably they just went crazy-go-nuts like everyone else did.

Guess they didn't have the time or budget to just show another scene where the ship guys tell the Eskimos to buzz off.

Why even have them stay at the ships? They all went in the book. :shrug:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

quote:

she as a second-in-command shaman who loses her Tunnbaq

Uh, I don't think these guys read the book very closely toward it's end. It was not "her Tuunbaq". It was a literal god (there was only one) that the shamans kept at bay with offerings so it would not come and devour their peoples souls. They did not control it and it wasn't their pet. The reason it was not nice with the white sailors is that the Shaman's agreement was that Tuunbaq could have the entire arctic for itself and only the Shaman would venture there.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 24, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Syrio Blanky lives, and will be the main character in season 2.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

a mysterious cloak posted:

Just finished the last episode. My only quibble with the series was Hickey. you saw him coming from a mile away. And who would follow this guy, anyway? Most of those low level guys had never been on an arctic voyage, so there's no way in hell they'll survive alone.

I thought the rest was stellar. Watching this with headphones on was the best. I need to find recording of ships creaking and popping for my white noise at night.

Make a request to this guy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCvVWCrxq_aZr7fN_KpaGGTA

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I have to do a rewatch. Wasn't Crozier just stepping down from his position? I never read it as a "leaving" thing. Of course (IIRC) That whole thing through to the gallows thing wasn't even in the book.

Think I may do a re-read as well.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I'm clicking like mad and only get blank youtube page!

Odd.
Try this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCvVWCrxq_aZr7fN_KpaGGTA

OK, looks like SA has an issue linking to youtube channels, thinking they are actual videos. So anyhoo, here's a video you can click on to get to the group that creates them. :shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sL0omwElxw

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Jikes posted:

A lot of changes were made between the book and series, almost always for the better. The screenwriters did an outstanding job of adapting the book and I think they improved on the source material, which is pretty rare.

Quite honestly I do not view one or the other version as better. They are both solid.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Just ordered the Frozen in Time book to further my obsession with the expedition. Wife just saw Sir John's perfect, stockinged leg last night. I told her I would hang it on my wall, with pride.

Actually, I might make it my av... maybe use his "greatest argonauts of our time" speech for text :getin:

They should sell Franklin Leg Lamps.
(Or use them as major awards)

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I hereby call dibs on the trademark/patent/rights

A Christmas Story 3: A Very Blanky Christmas

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I kind of dislike the end of the show due to them pretty much tossing out all of the (holy poo poo the amount of) research that Simmons did for the book. Handwaving Silence's leaving because ~made-up eskimo reason~ was so not what the end of the book was about. Kind of reminds me of the end of Dune the book compared to Dune the movie.

"It Rains" :psyduck:

I guess the show producers realized that to finish as the book did it would take a couple more episodes.
So we got "we kicked her out. It's our way" :shrug:

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I thought the show declined in quality from one episode to the next and the ending was pretty bad. The book ending is much better, in my opinion.

That said, the show was good when it was good. I paid for the whole season, despite saying I would wait, after watching the first couple episodes for free on the AMC website.

If I had not read the book as I watched I may feel differently. The show ending was just jarring compared to the book. Having read the book I can understand Crozier's POV at the end when he keeps his identity secret. But the show alone just goes from "we booted Silence" to him sitting on the ice with a harpoon and some other eskimo woman/kids and doesn't actually explain it, like at all.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Silence can never return to her people after losing Tunnbaaq.

But see, this is precisely the gobbledygook that veered away from what Tuunbaq actually was. If anything, the death of book Tuunbaq would have been celebrated by the eskimos. Again, had I not read the book, the show ending would have been a decent ending. But the way the show ended pretty much seems like the show producers really did not understand what (book) Tuunbaq actually was to the eskimo people and just wanted a quick ending to the series.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 2, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Caufman posted:

British men hoard metals in their bodies towards the end of their lives. Blankly liked silverware, Lt. Little liked gold.

They all too stocked up on the lead.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

On my 2nd read-through. Even though I know what will happen it is still excellent.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

I forgot how far along in the book it is before Hickey makes an appearance.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Wasn't Fortitude brought up in this here thread? At what point does it get good?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Open Source Idiom posted:

I like the show a lot, so it was probably me who recommended it. It shifts genres around a few times, which I think people found off-putting, it initially presents as Nordic noir, but shifts into sci-fi, and then slasher horror, with hints of cosmic horror all the way through. Which is presumably where it's going in its final season. So if it isn't initially working for you, and I'm guessing from your post that it isn't, it might work for you by the time you get to later episodes.

I finished S1 and I think the thing that stuck in my craw was the constant odd dumb things the characters did. A prime example being when PHD dude was in the hospital room with the infected woman, knowing that there was a possible contagious thing going on, standing there open mouthed calmly watching for several minutes as wasps hatched from her body, never once cluing the woman outside the room what was happening, waiting until a literal swarm came out of the sick lady's mouth and started stinging him before even backing away. Then there is the sheriff who's character seems to not make a move to do anything before a long time of oddly grinning and staring off into space Then there is the spanish woman who is all around annoying as everliving gently caress. It just added up to such non-human-like nonsense overall. The only character enjoyable to watch was Eugene Morton, and he ended up killed off prior to the season end.

As someone who lives in a place where it gets down to negative double digits, I also took issue with people talking about -30 but walking around with faces and hands exposed. Never once did I get the impression that any of the characters were ever actually cold. A kid walking around for an extended period with only pajama bottoms on is going to have a bit more to worry about than his feet.

Started watching S2 last night and kind of lost much motivation to continue it.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

nooneofconsequence posted:

The monster is even more op in the book.

I find myself liking the book a lot more in regard to what the bear is and how the story goes.
(Even stuff like how in the book it is kind of realized that the bear seems to target officers from Caesar's boat.)

To this day I am not at all certain how the bear was killed in the TV version.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 4, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Iodised QQ posted:

I'm pretty sure it was consuming hickey's nasty rear end soul that made it sick after already taking in a bunch of less lovely, but still bad, white guy souls

It's been a while obviously but I feel like there was an extra to the finale with cast and crew that pretty much said it was like that.

Not sure how I feel about that, but it makes as much sense as anything with a magical polar bear monster

So basically akin to Goldblum giving the aliens a virus in Independence Day?
Bleh.

Well the book mentions the prophecy that the coming of the white men will destroy the world of the Inuits in time. The ice will melt, the animals will die, etc.

Tupac caused ice to grow increasingly southward so it could travel there to eat all of the animals and men (in the book). The shaman made a deal with the bear to stop doing that. I don't think it targeted white men specifically, but rather non-shaman and those not protected by them. It was free to eat whatever walked into the territory set aside for it.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 5, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

He may not be targeting white people but the coming of the white people signal the end of their world.

I found the text:

More or less what I remembered, except it does explicitly say this will follow the Tuunbaq's death.

It should have been strengthened by the chad Blanky soul. :colbert:
Maybe what truly bothers me is that Blanky couldn't kill it, but Hickey's soul could. poo poo just aint right.

(Makes me glad that tuunbaq doesn't die in the book.)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 7, 2018

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

So what's the ETA on the new season?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Anti-Hero posted:

My local museum is hosting an artifact exhibition from the John Franklin expedition. Really fortuitous timing as I watched Season 1 after becoming aware of it via Chernobyl. Looking forward to visiting it soon!

I want nothing less than a mummified leg in a stocking and shoe.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

quote:

The only area below decks the team was unable to access was the captain’s sleeping quarters. Apparently the last person to leave closed the door. “Intriguingly, it was the only closed door on the ship,” says Harris. “I’d love to know what’s in there.”

Terror season 3 right there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Pick posted:

I watched The Terror season 1, and I have to say, it was okay, but was clearly inspired by Ravenous and Hannibal and isn't quite as good as either (and this from someone who isn't that fond of Hannibal, but the cinematography is stellar, and the coherency is a little better). There's a lot of Colonel Ives energy in Hartley and how he's played, and it doesn't quite match up to Robert Carlisle's performance of a similar character type. Still, I'd gladly lump it in with them for a number of reasons, and it's a narrow genre I'm very fond of.

The timeline needed to be represented in a more integrated way, and the sound mixing is rough (I needed closed captions), and by the end there's a tremendous amount of moon logic.

The "Tuunbaq" (turn back! :imunfunny: ) desperately needed to be re-named, or better yet, not pointlessly be in the series.

I agree that actual Eskimo deity should have been renamed or removed for your viewing pleasure of this story about an Eskimo deity tearing apart Englishmen.

Pretty much the only thing you are right about is the sound/dialogue.