Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So this is just one season? Cause I've read the book and I'm not sure more that one season of "Misery on Ice" will work.

Also, where's my Hyperion Cantos mini-series? :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Scuttlebutt says anthology series, with a new focus each season, ala American Horror/Crime Story.

Never watched American Horror Story, so same actors different story? How odd.

quote:

No word on the Hyperion adaptation,

Aww. :(

On the bright side, most of the adaptations mentioned in that article are done and aired (or ongoing in the Expanse's case) so...soon?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oh thank goodness that thanks to tonight’s developments they theoretically drop the stupid circus night storyline from the book.

Book spoiler joke rant:
Terrifying Eskimo god avatar ice monster I can believe but starving frozen sailors setting up a circus night with tents and festivities is just too rediculous!:v:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

R. Mute posted:

I've done watched it. I'm not sure I like the way the show decided to end things. But then I read how the book ended things and I'm not sure I liked how that went either. I guess I was never that keen on how the story used the Inuit - and I never thought the supernatural aspect of it was necessary to drive the plot forward. I felt like the elements, hunger, sickness and conflict in the group itself were more than enough to get you some drive and some antagonists. I think those are far more interesting than the fantasy elements as well.

Too many book to show adaptations of books (Check out "The City and The City", it is also good!) I read a long time ago...but the show seems to have less of a supernatural element than what I recall from the book.

Tuunbaq is still there but he's way less of a force than he was in the book. Mid-book he's an omni-present threat picking off the crew. In the show they cut back his role so much, I'd say the show would have been better to have him be removed entirely.

I'm on episode 8, so I'm not sure how the show will differ its ending but it seems pretty clear its going to diverge somewhat.

Probably for the best because the book ending was stupid.

Also, despite my earlier supposition Carnival Night still ended up being a thing, but I liked it moreso in how the show did it. In the book the carnival is almost an otherworldly labyrinth to the point that Crozier can't even figure out how the crew made it. Then Franklin gets eviscerated in half by Tuunbaq. . In the show, I think they had a much better idea of viewing the weirdness of the Carnivale through the eyes of Crozier and his alcohol withdrawl/recovery.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 11, 2018

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

Having not read the book, that actually sounds kinda awesome if it was written well

Its just ends up feeling out of place because up until that point, terrifying arctic monster excluded, the book had been pretty grounded.

Franklin's death on the otherhand is way more brutal. He gets ripped in half by Tuunbaq, thrown into the ice water and as he dies he thinks to himself "How can I dance with Lady Jane? I have no legs. A man with no legs can't dance. :smith: