Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
This show is extremely my poo poo. Just incredible all around, from the writing to the editing to the casting to the effects to the pacing to the cinematography. And I love me some stuffy British folk doing Important Things. And I love ships. And exploration. And whatever is happening with that bear.

Also, seeing Caesar and Brutus together on screen again warms my heart to no end.

e: I don't know how the AMC streaming site works. I watched the first 2 episodes there, but don't have cable. Are they going to keep releasing episodes on their site for free in the same way like CW or does it go behind the "enter your cable provider" wall after using the first 2 as a tease?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I know it's likely apocryphal, but the alleged Shackelton newspaper ad captures the spirit of those expeditions so well:

quote:

MEN WANTED
for hazardous journey, small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful, honor and recognition in case of success
Ernest Shackelton

I kept thinking of that quote while watching the first two episodes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Oh awesome, thanks! I've referenced that in conversation a few times but could never find the link. Was thinking about it while watching the show the other day. It's a fantastic read.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Finished the show tonight. It was incredible and could not have been more tailor made to be my poo poo.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Apr 17, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I don't mind the occasional mediocre CGI or poor compositing, it makes sense given the budget and I never found it too distracting. But what the gently caress was up with the bear's design? The face is laughable and intimidating in no way. I imagine they wanted something that looked like a cross between a bear and a man? It just looked kinda like, well, :downs:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Actually I think you'll find that the meeting of the historical and the supernatural is the best part. NITWITS

e: seriously. I love stuffy historical dramas with British folks speaking very tersely to each other, and I love spooky supernatural poo poo. Together? HEAVEN

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 25, 2018

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd be fine if it were just an anthology series where each season is a different mashup of history and monsters. If they wanted to keep it as similar as possible, a failed Everest or K2 expedition with yetis would fit the bill, where they could explore then Nepalese mythology behind the yeti rather than our modern conception of it. Or just adapt At the Mountains of Madness.

And I'd be fine if they didn't go snowy with another season, just new mashups of history and monsters. Any number of ill-fated expeditions would work.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
All of these, please.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Care to spoil it?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is, indeed, very dumb and squanders every decent possibility.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, if the bear's face had been all hosed up like that I would've loved the creature design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lemme know if you find them, those sweaters were 🔥