Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Snuffman posted:

Oh thank goodness that thanks to tonight’s developments they theoretically drop the stupid circus night storyline from the book.

Book spoiler joke rant:
Terrifying Eskimo god avatar ice monster I can believe but starving frozen sailors setting up a circus night with tents and festivities is just too rediculous!:v:

That was hands-down the worst part of the book. I got what Simmons was trying to do there, and there were records of really elaborate Christmas festivities on Polar expeditions to keep up morale, but he dialed that poo poo up to 11 immediately and veered it into silly.

The relationship between Hickey (the dude getting the Christian lecture about gayness) and Manson (the dude he was caught being gay with) seems to have been changed (for the better, imo) as well. In the series Manson is an equal of Hickey's intellectually and emotionally, this seems a lot more complex and authentic than the previous gay rapist/simpleminded victim trope in the book.

bloom posted:

I like how they've had previous contact with the eskimo, but apparently no one has gone "you know these people live up here, maybe they got the right idea in wearing tons of furs". Like yeah those peacoats are pimpin' but come on dudes.

That would take Dr John Rae. He was shown as a character in the first few minutes of the first episode of the series, he's the man who shows the Inuit hunter the three photos of the expedition command, when the hunter picks out Crozier as Aglooka. The real Rae was an exploring machine who got sent to the area by the Hudson Bay company and who spent all of his time trekking around the Arctic solo on skis and snowshoes, living off the land the way the Inuit taught him. He's also the only one of the Franklin searchers who thought to ask the Inuit what the hell had happened to them. He got the first solid evidence of the expedition's fate that way, and the oral histories he took down and preserved were a large part of what led to the eventual finding of the ships. Read his books on Project Gutenberg for free, Rae was a badass and a good writer too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Rae_(explorer)

Jikes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's one of my favorite characters

Goodsir in the series is a big improvement on Goodsir in the book, imo, he's less of a cardboard cutout. So far it seems like most of the changes from the book to the screen have been improvements.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I just watched Ep 7 and holy poo poo, talk about a slow burn. This show has a huge cast even after six episodes of picking people off, but everyone brought their A game to this one. I read the novel on vacation a couple of years ago and thought it was entertaining if nothing special, but transmuted to film with these performances (and a bunch of well-judged narrative adjustments) it's so much better than the source material. Goodsir, Hickey, Crozier and Fitzjames were standouts but what a chilling, moving ensemble performance from everyone. I kept rewinding to rewatch scenes and catch all the subtleties.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Hasselblad posted:

My only criticism beyond not understanding much of the dialogue, is that they are increasingly acting like it is a mild spring day compared to the literal -170 to -100 degrees in the book. Haven't gotten to Hicky sunbathing and getting all stabby in the book yet, but unless it suddenly became warm (which would make me personally haul rear end back to the ships) then the show is being silly.

They're currently in the brief Arctic summer, so the temperatures would be in the mid-fifties Farenheit (about 10C I think?), and in the middle of a bare rock plain a lot of that heat would be reflected, raising the ambient temperature during the daytime. It wouldn't be swimsuit weather, but it would be a far cry from the winter temperatures in the same spot. That part didn't seem unbelievable to me.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
it's not full-on sex, so I appreciate the unusual-for-DA restraint of it :cry:

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Octy posted:

I had a hard time telling most of the officers apart, especially once they all started cultivating grizzly beards.

same, and I’m a bearded white guy

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Hasselblad posted:

Uh, you mean Hickey?

whoosh

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

HorrificExistence posted:

This scene wasn't in the book at all, I really think it should've been though.

A lot of changes were made between the book and series, almost always for the better. The screenwriters did an outstanding job of adapting the book and I think they improved on the source material, which is pretty rare.

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

Free Market Mambo posted:

British lionization of polar disasters is what they did best, look at Scott.

Of African exploration debacles too. It's interesting to read contemporary accounts of Stanley's expeditions and then contrast them to modern accounts that use multiple primary sources. If there's a hell, Stanley's likely burning in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean

LadyPictureShow posted:

Like a blowfish or porcupine. So when Tuunbaq ate Blanky, it’d cut up his insides something fierce.

He decided ‘Welp, I’m gonna die, but I’m gonna gently caress up that Bear when I do.’

If you can go back and watch, look for the moment that Blanky turns around, sees the tuunbaq, and then tugs on the rope to make all the forks stand up on end like porcupine quills

the chad Blanky