Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

DrPossum posted:

I am very excited for baseball except the part where half the games are illegitimate travesties because the DH hasn't been abolished

Go Cubs Go

This but go Braves I hope they dont lose EVERY game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The Yankees are the greatest team in baseball because nothing brings me more joy than seeing them not make the playoffs despite spending $texas to buy out everybody else's farms

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also the DH is terrible, but without it we'd have far fewer clips of old fat guys huffing and puffing as they waddle run to first

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Roflex posted:

Is anyone else having trouble with gameday audio? In the app it just says no feeds available (for any game). Website works but that doesn't help me in the car.

did something like that for me earlier but I just had to authorize stuff in NoScript. Have you tried hitting it and yelling at it?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm extremely happy to have baseball back.

My wife doesn't care, my kids aren't really into it (why can't I force them to like what I like?) and so I tend to just have the game on the radio or follow the play by play on my phone. No cable so there are few games I can actually watch. I typically go to one game a season, usually the home game closest to my birthday.

Every year at the blessed start of the season I think to myself "I bet this would be more fun if I read/posted in the gameday threads while listening to the games" because it always seems like it's fun way to be part of community and share the thrills/agonies of the game. I'm really a casual fan who only vaguely follows news about my own team (Giants) and I honestly am not extremely baseball literate, even though I have been through 7 seasons as a fan. I usually feel like too much of an interloper who doesn't belong in gameday threads. You're a pretty tight group of people who all know each other's rooting interests and I feel like I need to have at least a good enough knowledge of every team's lineup to piece together which game the dinger happened in. Someone make a matrix of forums user names and avatars indexed to their team affiliation please.

I guess I should be posting in the newbie thread, but I really don't want to ask a bunch of questions, I just want to share the experience of real time simulposting as the games unfold.

TLDR: This is me

hey don't worry, if you see me posting in a GDT you'll at least not be the dumbest person there. I don't know nothin about nothin and am dumb and crazy to boot yet I'll never stop posting :justpost:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Atlanta's Ryan Schrimpf to the Angels for Carlos Perez, might not mean Suzuki is missing significant time, just that they don't have any fourth option in the organization

well when you're losing an average of 0.75 catchers per game...

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What the gently caress is this Dr. Seuss bullshit they are using in the Red Sox dugout?

Anal bead holster

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Braves this year seem to promise to be both boomier and bustier than any year past, and quite frankly I welcome it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ohtani was a Ham Fighter so it makes sense that he's the best

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Intruder posted:

In the context of Texas it's even more fun, since the revolution was started largely because Mexico outlawed slavery

The only state with the honor of having seceded from two nations just to keep slaves

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Spoeank posted:

It rules that the Texas Rangers, a team literally named for cops, needs to be more... coppier

They're still owned or part-owned or whatever by a right wing war criminal right?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Please tell me there's some enormously fat guy on the team whose belly will be jiggling as he runs somewhere, creating the illusion that the boat is being rowed on actual waves

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lol Braves with the most runs and highest avg with RISP? Get ur get together MLB lmao

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

will_colorado posted:

N: 27 degrees

V: gently caress the goddamn Braves

tbh I was expecting to get loving crushed because we're like 2-14 at Coors Field

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I refuse to say anything even like the Braves are good yet, okay yeah they look red hot right now and are - god help me - somehow making it work, but it's gotta fall apart soon right?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

TheFlyingLlama posted:

I mean, it isn't likely that Ryan Flaherty and Preston Tucker continue to hit at MVP levels

Preston Tucker has heard the siren song of The Doctrine, and is now dedicated wholly to truckin' and fuckin'

Flaherty, yeah naw he'll regress soon, but by then that one guy that Joe was talking about tonight in AAA who is rehabbing will be able to slot in

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

A Marlins pitcher has already given up two grand slams in this game against the Phillies, and they are losing 17-1.......in the fourth

jesus

imagine

getting dumpstered by the phillies

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Marlins are going to unseat the Braves as the highest scoring team in baseball by giving up 35 runs an inning

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

jesus loving christ Marlins what the gently caress

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think we should probably give the Braves a chance to burn out embarrassingly and lose 10 games in a row before we declare the Mets the only competitive team in the NL East

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bawfuls posted:

stop giving Ted Cruz gifts

It really is uncanny

lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rand alPaul posted:

All pitchers must be forced to play a position for the number of games the position player is suspended.

That position? Stadium organist

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Man, gently caress april.

RIP polar vortex lamo

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Now nothing stands in the way of my hatching maximum pokemon for community day

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Broke: We should have baseball in PR
Woke: We can't have baseball in PR because we won't pay to fix anything and it's going to be getting pounded by hypercanes for years

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It was 65 degrees in Chicago last year on this date, 75 degrees in 2016, and 60 degrees in 2015. The upper midwest has just been getting some absolute poo poo weather this April :(

Polar vortex is collapsing, upper midwest is being reclaimed by perfidious Canadian frozen wastes

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

They're not private stadiums, at least here they're owned by the county and the teams pay rent and a cut of concessions and the ticket take.

Whether or not that's an equitable arrangement for the taxpayer at $215m to build a stadium is debatable, but it certainly isn't at $600m+ when teams expect a new stadium every twenty years.

Come to beautiful SunTrust Field!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Welp

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh god he's out for like 6 weeks isn't he

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

NL East has 4 of the top 5 offenses in baseball right now, wut in tarnation

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

By what math?

Edit: I'm assuming you meant in the National league???

National league ya, and by RBIs on accident. By runs it's 4 of the top 6

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

He got looked at by training staff on the field. He was definitely shaken up and he left the game.

That's the 7th time already he's been beaned this year, which puts him on pace to get plunked 60 times this season, which would destroy the record of 51 in a season by some guy in 1896.

the legacy of good old Johnny Wifeof Pitcherfucker is in very serious danger

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

IMO bat flips aren't enough. I want signature touchdown dances in baseball for home runs.

done on the pitcher's mound

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

"The Californians" was the most accurate skit that SNL ever did

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

As a Hoosier, it's definitely "I-69" for me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Sure is. Idaho is full of people that can't loving pronounce poo poo.

I mean, so is every other state, but Idaho has that ridiculous Sarah Palin accent on top of it.

ninja edit: And I say this as someone born and raised in the Fargo, ND area.

When I was working in Noblesville, Indiana many moons ago, a distressing amount of the populace pronounced chipotle as "chi-poh-tull"

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Ein cooler Typ posted:

watching replays from other teams, and I notice more and more broadcasts have the strike zone rectangle superimposed over the catcher all the time. I first noticed it only on ESPN but now it seems more common.

I hate this and it makes me angry as heck. I like having the pitch trax graphic over to the side, but when you put something over the catcher it is annoying and distracting. Millennials are ruining baseball by not knowing where the strike zone is

Average age of a baseball viewer is 53 so I've got my doubts that changes like this are for the comfort of the young people who don't watch it

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I don't really mind the strike zone thing

I do think they should have a retro night where all broadcasts use the same layout and graphic styles they did in the early 90's tho

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I'd tune in for Twitch Plays Phillies Manager

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Braves promoted Max Fried

Max Fried also describes my lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

For those that missed it, it only took Acuna until his second game to start murdering baseballs

https://twitter.com/CBSSports/status/989551563898347521?s=20

Shoutout to the Braves fan who caught the ball then immediately started running for the exit

https://i.imgur.com/bkluZ83.mp4

• Locked thread