Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Baseball! :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

Cardinals are getting Greg Holland on a 1 year deal sounds like. :snoop:

https://twitter.com/markasaxon/status/979378799061159942

Please keep Jordan Hicks’ awesome FASTBALL on the 25-man.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
First, a moment of unifying and peace: gently caress Ryan Braun.

Second: I will straight-up fight you if you try to tell me the DH isn’t hot garbage. gently caress the DH. Come at me, you wimp-rear end AL fans. :colbert:

I’m only a little sorry about that. My team just got thrashed by the Mets. :negative:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

IcePhoenix posted:

If Stl. had a DH Jose Martinez could play every day without any weird lineup shuffling

If St. Louis had a DH we’d be paying Albert $30M a year right now.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Albert hit an opening day home run, now at 615 career HR, 2970 career hits, 1919 career RBI.

V: :allears:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Luigi Thirty posted:

:unsmith: 600/3000/2000 would be nice.

That'd be what, Hank Aaron and A-Rod as the other two?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Paul Zuvella posted:

Giancarlo is on pace to hit 324 home runs!

:smug: - Matt Davidson

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

rump buttman posted:

Barrold. I don’t care that he’s slightly under hits/rbi, he was mashing and blackballed

Solo shots are weak. Barrold’s fault for not hitting behind Mike Trout. :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Hermsgervørden posted:

I'm extremely happy to have baseball back.

My wife doesn't care, my kids aren't really into it (why can't I force them to like what I like?) and so I tend to just have the game on the radio or follow the play by play on my phone. No cable so there are few games I can actually watch. I typically go to one game a season, usually the home game closest to my birthday.

Every year at the blessed start of the season I think to myself "I bet this would be more fun if I read/posted in the gameday threads while listening to the games" because it always seems like it's fun way to be part of community and share the thrills/agonies of the game. I'm really a casual fan who only vaguely follows news about my own team (Giants) and I honestly am not extremely baseball literate, even though I have been through 7 seasons as a fan. I usually feel like too much of an interloper who doesn't belong in gameday threads. You're a pretty tight group of people who all know each other's rooting interests and I feel like I need to have at least a good enough knowledge of every team's lineup to piece together which game the dinger happened in. Someone make a matrix of forums user names and avatars indexed to their team affiliation please.

I guess I should be posting in the newbie thread, but I really don't want to ask a bunch of questions, I just want to share the experience of real time simulposting as the games unfold.

TLDR: This is me

Welcome friend. Hate on the DH like any good person should and we’ll get along just peachy.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Artix posted:

Without the DH where would we put all of our old fat guys who can still hit dingers? There's only so many 1B's you can carry on a roster. Have a heart, you monsters.

gently caress the DH, including and especially David Ortiz. :colbert:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Salvor_Hardin posted:

What the gently caress is this Dr. Seuss bullshit they are using in the Red Sox dugout?

Common forearm massager. Lots of rock climbers use them.

E: Here. I have one too. I'm just like David Price!

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 1, 2018

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: 8 of Paul DeJong’s 27 career home runs are against the Mets, despite playing in a different division.

V: He hates these cans Mets!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Ripken winning the MVP in 83 and 91 the furthest apart someone has ever won two MVP's in MLB?

Mays in 54 and then 65.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

:siren: pitcher dingers in milwaukee :siren:

Eating lizards and javelining dogs: The Miles Mikolas Experience.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

iospace posted:

By the wrong team :argh:

(gently caress the DH though)

First career hit for him, it was pretty cool seeing his reception in the dugout.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

My friend started heckling frank thomas at an a's angels game by yelling "Little hurt Little hurt!" and he actually got frank to turn around. My friend felt really bad afterwards because everyone knows frank is a good guy.

My girlfriend's dad, a lifelong White a Sox fan but consummate pessimist, once yelled at Frank enough to get him to turn and glare at him in the front row. Frank Thomas was literally 3 times his size. Extremely poor decision-making.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Currently on my own team I'd heckle Matheny. Maybe Brett Cecil. That's probably it. I will boo Braun and Cueto until either they fight me or security removes me from the premises.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Koruthaiolos posted:

The only player I've ever booed is Pete Kozma. It's entirely deserved.

I don't think there's an umpire I haven't booed.

I had to check your post history because this could legitimately be from a Cards fan or a Nats fan.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

What did I miss that makes Cueto not cool and worthy of heckling?

I'm a Cardinals fan who holds a grudge regarding him kicking Jason LaRue in the head repeatedly during a brawl, resulting a concussion and LaRue having to retire (and suffering from symptoms for years afterwards).

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

bawfuls posted:

I almost never sit close enough to the field to heckle players, but the most I've ever boo'd anyone was Gurriel at game 6 of the World Series. Thank you Rich Hill for your service: :patriot:

I highly recommend talking to Adam Wainwright if you're near enough to the dugout and it's a day he's not pitching. Dude seems to love talking to fans mid-game, regardless of which team they root for.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Dex was in a big of a slump to start the season.

https://twitter.com/DexterFowler/status/980812018990112768

It worked!

V: Dex. :allears:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Cross-post from C-SPAM:

When rooting for the Cardinals is the moral high ground.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I would literally root for the Cardinals in a Cards/Brewers nlcs without thinking twice

*Looks at 1982 WS and 2011 NLCS*

Good news, everyone!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
:negative:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Go back and watch some vintage era Albert footage of you’re bored sometime. For a guy his size he was scary fast.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Popete posted:

Alright St. Louis, balls in your court.

Hey man, I’m busy sending Piss Tape is Real hats to reporters.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

You got a mention over in the Trump thread in D&D for those hats.

Well yeah, C-SPAM gimmick hat ends up on Chris Hayes’ instagram is pretty funny.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

curried lamb of God posted:

outside of the Astros and Marlins, I just root for Venezuelan players to do well because it's not like my poo poo birth-country has anything else going for it

Learn to love Jose Martinez and his gangly awesomeness, friend.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I’m helping a friend move on Saturday. Before I post it in LAN, anyone want my ticket to Saturday’s Tigers/White Sox game?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

I mean he doesn't have much (any?) realistic competition between here and there.

The player with the closest proximity before now to Ruth in hitting and pitching over a career was probably Ankiel.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

Has there ever been a team that lost 100+ games?

I remember the final series of the season in 2012 when both the Cubs and Astros had lost over 100 and it was the first time in history that two 100-loss teams had played one another. The last game was a day game on a Wednesday and it was drizzling; BBRef still claims attendance was at 27,606.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

patonthebach posted:

Its funny how quick we can forget how terrible the Astros were for years and years because they have had continued success lately. I couldn't even think of this example even though I was following baseball closely for the past 10-15 years. Has 'the tank' every worked as well as it has for the Astros? I know the Penguins had a few terrible years there.

Cubs and Royals had some pretty lean years before winning, but I don't know if they count as tanks at the level that Houston did.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
I'm trying to stay out of this discussion because we all know I'm not objective when it comes to Yadi. That being said, if Yadi went for the guy and he bumped into the ump in the process I think a suspension would be obvious. That's not what it looked like to me on re-watching it. I'm obviously biased but it looks like the ump actively initiates the contact, putting his hand on Yadi's chest protector to try to hold him back before Yadi makes any aggressive move. As I said, though, I'm extremely biased. I may just be seeing what I want to. I'll go back to shutting up now.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TMMadman posted:

What great weather for the Cubs home opener.

I wonder if a game can be called on account of snow.

Stupid Smarch baseball.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Craptacular! posted:

In front of almost nobody. Serious question: At what point does MLB adjust the season for climate change and reduce the number of dead empty games in the cold? I get the Sox are rebuilding, but this seems a bit much.

Edit: There’s a clown in the front row wearing a whole Cubs gift shop.

It was already a night game that got rescheduled to a day game on, like, 48 hours’ notice. Now add snow. I’m surprised if any of the rotation showed up other than the starter. Also, it was COLD yesterday.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Craptacular! posted:

Ahhh, this makes sense. Especially if the original game was supposed to be on a weekend.

I’ve seen some dead Wrigley games before too, but it was similar conditions with a double header.

It was always a Monday game, just got moved up by 6 hours. I was off on the notice, I got my email about it at 4:46 PM on Friday.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Bird in a Blender posted:

^^^Edit: That is lovely, did they offer a refund or anything? Day games are usually cheaper than night games for a reason.

Redeemable at any future Sox game other than the Cubs series. Don’t know how that works if our tickets for that game are already in use.

Also:

https://twitter.com/dgoold/status/983108489550721024

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Mike_V posted:

Torey Lovullo is like 10 years older than old man Molina

Forget it Mike_V, it’s Wrigleyville.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Matheny will be using Hicks as the closer before May 20th and Hicks will have TJS before he ever gets to start an MLB game. Book it. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Albert's currently at 2,984 hits. It's possible he hits his 3,000th in Houston. If he does that I vote that they just replay That One Home Run in a loop for the rest of the game.

E: 2,985.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 13, 2018

• Locked thread