Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just got back from seeing this. The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch is in it and the main character throws it, but they don't count to three before he did. Oh and the new Micheal Bay TMNT are in this movie about 80's and 90's nostalgia for some reason.

Also a character is straight up shown words as part of a dispel magic phrase and the first word to it is ANAL but she pronounces it "AH NAL".

And kid next to me asked his mom, "What's a loving Chucky?" during the climactic end sequence.

Anyways, I give the movie a solid 4 pandering call backs out of 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

How well did Spielberg adapt this part?:

I think the love interest for constructing the couple maps well to this, to poorly answer the question.

Media losing its efficacy to self-insertion seems pretty truthful of this film to posit. I also deduct points for the film having Toshiro(?) using the RX-78 when it should have been Ultraman. But the fact he was wearing an MK pin and the Chinese kid was a ninja seemed appropriate for the High-Five tech start up.

Corrosion fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 30, 2018

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The Cameo posted:

It's a lesser Spielberg movie, but it's definitely an entertaining picture that uses the referential stuff as a texture for the most part; stuff like Halliday using The Shining as a wrapper for his feelings of inadequacies on connecting with the woman he loved, who ended up marrying his best friend because Halliday's deep-set social anxiety

When Wade said that Halliday's big fear was kissing a girl I just burst out laughing.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

2/5. That rating means it's not completely unwatchable garbage, but it's only above that and has some okay moments. Worst Spielberg movie I've seen. I didn't really get much of an emotional investment in the movie, I disliked the action, I really disliked the resolution, and there's a lot of "hey you remember this lol?" cringe moments.

The things I liked most are the future dystopia parts. These are mostly handled in a cute-ified satirical Spielberg way. The movie doesn't explore why the world is such a hellhole, just that it is a hellhole.

The resolution is the worst part of the movie. The movie makes a big deal of the character not immediately taking control of the corporation at the first opportunity by signing a contract to own a bunch of shares to become a mega-billionaire, but then he does it almost immediately after that. This was absolutely baffling. The way the film tries to show the main character is selfless is he does it...with a few other people instead of just himself. This is practically not much different.

The protagonist is ultimately just a 'benevolent' version of the antagonist who wants effectively dictatorial control of the corporation. But really by what right does the protagonist have over owning such a large part of society? The movie could kind of justify the creator majorly owning the institution, because it doesn't show anyone else having a major role in creating it. But the protagonist? He just inherited it by fiat from the creator in an absurd way because he's such a groveling sniveling fan of the creator. He had no role in creating the system. He is just given dictator powers over the current employees and consumers of the institution he now owns. This would be similar to being an employee creating and maintaining an MMO in the bowels of a corporation, and then you are eventually rewarded by the owner of your company dying and he decides to let his rear end in a top hat kid son who is 15 years your junior who thinks he knows better inherit it and tell you what to do while having had no part in creating it.

Who is also to say that some of the new owners don't sell all their shares and a malevolent entity hostilely takes over with a majority? Even the 'benevolent' dictator decree at the end that consumers shouldn't be able to use the system 2 days out of the week is being an rear end in a top hat. How about if that presents scheduling conflicts for some people?

An alternative resolution would be various forms of democratic ownership of the enterprise by consumers, employees, or citizens.

Unexplored is the incongruity of the extreme poverty the protagonist starts at, the protagonist essentially winning an absurd lottery ticket, and then the rest of society still slumming in the extreme poverty. The movie portrays a happy ending, but is it really so happy when a tiny group of people have such absolutely fabulous wealth and power while everyone else suffers in such a dystopia?

A scene in the movie shows the main antagonist trying to show he's "hip" to the protagonist by being fed cringy pop culture trivia over an earpiece by a team of nerds. I wonder if this was meta-commentary for the cringe pop culture moments throughout the movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Archer666 posted:

When Wade said that Halliday's big fear was kissing a girl I just burst out laughing.

These are Halliday’s biggest fears

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMHIIRrCz1w

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Even in this made-up alternate reality world, Japanese people apparently still resort to harakiri at the slightest occurrence of sub-optimal performance.

Synopsis of this movie (sorry for the big black box): Hey kids! Don't be on your phone all the time because reality is cooool and we're adults who don't like not understanding technology mkay? Also, loving forget about you get to know about a person, the most important thing is what they really look like and what their IRL first name is and you better loving hope this person isn't a 300 pound man named Chuck because being fat is gross. Google in the future, IoI (eye-oh-eye, which looks a lot like lol) has a Terms of Service reminiscent of Apple in the Human CentiPad episode of South Park where the company gets to literally enslave you.... because. The police never help with any mass hysteria or anything in the real world except at the end when they magically wrap everything up so this pile of trash could finally end.

I wish I would have gone to see it in Atmos and 3D and left after the Shining part. I would have enjoyed myself much more.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I was going to see this movie but was told the book was a trashfire and probably best to skip it.

Got a call this past afternoon and my 60 something year old mom wants to go see it because she loves Steven's movies. I have no idea what to say to that but it's got me morbidly curious again.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Archer666 posted:

But then again, at the end of the movie, Wade has figured out that it wasn't so much her, but that Halliday pushed away the only friend he ever had and dunked himself completely into his fake world.

Which, of course, his best friend took an important role in and Halliday gave him an extra life coin to give to the right person, which is incredibly contrived, but at least it wasn't something they revealed until the coda to the whole thing.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie and I had a good time. The go outside nerds message was heavy handed, especially that last couple of lines in the film.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bold move of them to rename this movie right before release

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HardKase posted:

I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie and I had a good time. The go outside nerds message was heavy handed, especially that last couple of lines in the film.

In the book it’s literally just the last line and nothing else seems to set that idea up. The book is about how good and cool pop culture is and how bad realty is. Cline probably chucked that in to try and give the book some kind of moral other than “if you consume enough pop culture, you’ll be awesome forever” or “if you stalk and wear down a girl, she will fall in love with you, full stop!”

The point of every challenge in the book is to know a lot about pop culture. It isn’t about morals or lessons. This actually tried to make it something other than that.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Just came back from this, the movie is a 6/10, a 7 would be pushing it. Also it's the last time you'll ever see iron giant and bttf part 4.

It hits the notes of a typical spielberg film and that's about it, the moral of the story is just "go outside, make real friends and get a real gf, and stop playing video games you loving nerd".

Edit: forgot to add RPO is the reason why VR is trash and will put the world in a goddamn dystopia.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Mar 30, 2018

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Junior Jr. posted:

Just came back from this, the movie is a 6/10, a 7 would be pushing it.

It hits the notes of a typical spielberg film and that's about it, the moral of the story is just "go outside, make real friends and get a real gf, and stop playing video games you loving nerd".

No..it's not saying that at all.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also I don’t need to see The Iron Giant again. Especially not him killing everyone.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Outside of the murder thing I find Sorrento quite admirable. As someone in their mid-twenties who finds it difficult to find work after college I find it heartwarming to see a guy go from doing a nerd's coffee order to becoming a corporate big-shot. I found the scene where he bullshits 80's trivia very humanising because no person in his position would waste time watching every episode of Family Matters just to entice a potential employee.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I agree the movie was just okay but the paragraphs about dictatorial control and democratic ownership don't make any sense

It's a "keys to the kingdom" fairytale.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Penpal posted:

In the days of peak internet narcissism and a US president who seems to act like he has the keys to the kingdom, is this the type of fantasy we really need?

If you're a poor, broke loser, just buy expensive peripherals and use your obsessive knowledge of the 80's to enhance your online presence. Soon, you'll get the hot chick and become ruler of Instagram. Just make sure you give yourself non-consecutive, mandatory days off or else you'll become like that nerd Halliday who was too gay to kiss girls.

What the hell is this movie trying to say?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Really a pretty pessimistic ending- Wade has the chance to destroy the tool that's largely responsible for the current dystopia, but instead decides that sensible regulation by a multi-cultural group of clansmen (and clanswomen!) is the best course of action. I don't think the movie is unaware of what it's saying; I think it's just coming from a place of profound hopelessness.

The image of every IP in existence being destroyed and reduced to piles of money was pretty great though.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Also kudos to SMG on his cameo

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Also kudos to SMG on his cameo

I think you mean Knack

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, interesting that there's a shot of Wade looking at people living in tents, having just lost what little they owned thanks to joining his army, and his sole reaction to that is to ban them from the service two days a week.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

General Dog posted:

Really a pretty pessimistic ending- Wade has the chance to destroy the tool that's largely responsible for the current dystopia, but instead decides that sensible regulation by a multi-cultural group of clansmen (and clanswomen!) is the best course of action. I don't think the movie is unaware of what it's saying; I think it's just coming from a place of profound hopelessness.

The image of every IP in existence being destroyed and reduced to piles of money was pretty great though.

The Oasis isnt responsible for the dystopia; its just escapism from the horrible place the world ended up.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, interesting that there's a shot of Wade looking at people living in tents, having just lost what little they owned thanks to joining his army, and his sole reaction to that is to ban them from the service two days a week.

This reminds me of the Simpsons episode Marge Gets A Job, when Marge makes suggestions to improve employee morale at the power plant, and everyone is still miserable but now they get to wear silly hats and Tom Jones songs play over the intercom.

(Hey, I made a reference fuckos, give me a multi-million dollar book and movie deal)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Darko posted:

The Oasis isnt responsible for the dystopia; its just escapism from the horrible place the world ended up.

Right but no one is doing anything about the lovely world. Just escaping it and never facing it.

It’s why the story kind of sucks. They just keep playing and nothing gets solved.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

Right but no one is doing anything about the lovely world. Just escaping it and never facing it.

It’s why the story kind of sucks. They just keep playing and nothing gets solved.

This is also literally in the opening narration of the movie. Its just so depressing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can’t do a video game tribute story and have it end with people not playing video games.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Do they even feature Tomb of Horror I remember that being kind of cool

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No they thankfully changed everything. I don’t even remember what was interesting about that. He just goes in and plays Joist.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Ah, but you see he outwits his opponent by... switching sides on the arcade machine!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

CelticPredator posted:

neoliberalism.mov

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Darko posted:

I guess it's more accurate to say it perpetuates it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

neoliberalism.mov

I'm sure he'll zig where we expect him to zag, but this is maybe the SMGest movie ever made I've ever heard of.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 30, 2018

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

ShoogaSlim posted:

..or else you'll become like that nerd Halliday who was too gay to kiss girls.

What the hell is this movie trying to say?

Not whatever you're saying that's for sure

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I seriously enjoyed it. The CGI was well done and it worked much better as a film. I like that Spielberg largely side stepped a good amount of the issues I had with the book . It didn't feel like it went on too long even at 2.5 hours but the first half was definitely stronger than the second. The Kubrick stuff was great. The TJ Miller villain was not.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I feel like there’s a massive, Disney-shaped hole in this film.

The ghostly ballroom in the Shining bit was obviously supposed to be from The Haunted Masion (and a bit of a fun comment of The Shining being effectively a high-brow haunted house). And I’m fairly sure that the entire final planet was originally going to be Star Wars themed - when Artemis hides behind a column while some guards walk by it seems a pretty clear reference to Obi Wan in the Death Star.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
when the Firefly ship showed up a guy in the theater yelled “yeah, Firefly!” and well I think that sums up my experience with this movie pretty good

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hey guys can someone c/d this post one of my facebook friends made:

quote:

Ready player one was amazing. It's not just for nerds and gamers. It's a story about going from a nobody to stabbing up for what you believe in and doing what's right not what makes you rich. Go see this movie!!

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I found watching this movie a little hard due to how ugly it is. It's amazing how good special effects can be, yet still look horrifically awful. Everything had a gross wet waxy look to it. The main girls avatar might give me nightmares.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Penpal posted:

Yeah I agree the movie was just okay but the paragraphs about dictatorial control and democratic ownership don't make any sense

the movie setting was a near-future american dystopia where there's high density vertical trailer parks

it wasn't set in a fantasy arabia monarchy happyland

a literal major plot point of the movie was about dictatorial control over other peoples' lives

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Mar 31, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

he's wrong b/c the movie was about winning a lottery ticket to get rich because that's what the protagonist ended up doing even though the movie makes a weird big deal about him not doing it immediately and delaying getting his mega-billionaire winnings for like 10 minutes

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

Confirmed. The hero learns that he shouldn't just be fighting to get rich, but to prevent a MMO from adding pay-to-win items and in-game advertising.

• Locked thread