Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I love this game. It took me surprisingly little time to get something functional (if short) running.

https://i.imgur.com/bNnPWQM.gifv

homeless snail posted:

I don't understand the grid snaps in this at all. I sculpt a cube, its perfectly aligned with the grid, I clone and rotate that cube and because I have snapping turned on it turns in 45 degree increments, but then when I try to put those cubes next to each other they don't line up? What am I missing here

e: maybe I just need to be more careful to set the grid origin

The difference between the world grid and the object grid was killing me until someone told me there was a difference but it's a game changer when aligning things.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

lunar detritus posted:

I love this game. It took me surprisingly little time to get something functional (if short) running.

https://i.imgur.com/bNnPWQM.gifv
This was cool. I got to the end but only managed a tie of 86 which put me at 10/11 on the leaderboard. I struggled a bit with the slippery controls and with the platforms being as small as they are I had to jump very carefully to survive.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I think my control problems are probably due to camera placement. I have my cam way up high for VR purposes and I've got this constant forward and back sway to my imps that makes precise control very difficult. I feel like I should get a second camera that I can put down low and then switch between them, because moving it back and forth and recalibrating every time is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
My camera situation means I can use it for tracking only when the VR support gets patched in :v:

Homespace Editor. What's the use? Anybody made their apartment or something in it?

e: trying to make Solaire and modelling with just sixaxis is passing a stone, and I wish I understood the painting, or if it's just hell with only sixaxis for tracking. Monitor is too small and far away to use with the camera the way it's all set up.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 20, 2019

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I've just made the discovery that I can play this through Remote Play, meaning that it uses my laptop camera for tracking! I don't have to move my camera after all!

Hmmm... but that'd mean no wands.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Only the Moves need the camera, the DS4 doesn’t.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Has anybody dicked around with more complicated stuff? I spent the better part of last night setting up a level for a mystery game where you have to find clues and I think I've got the mechanics set up so if you pick one up it plays a stinger and then will play some voiced lines (still have to record those) but I can't figure out how to get the puppet to actually pick it up. And where/how do you add text like subtitles?

Also making music kicks rear end.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I gotta say I am not impressed with the controls in this game so far. The moves feel really clunky and the DS4 feels even worse. Maybe I'm just not used to it, or my setup is bad but I've tried moving the camera multiple times. Really with I could just plug a M&K in tbh because thus far I wouldn't say this is something I'd extensively want to use as a creative space, just due to the controls. Hopefully that changes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The controls were bad for me until I just turned on the grid for everything

It's much easier to make things than LBP and yeah the music making kicks rear end. I need to import my own songs tho

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a really hard time reaching the lower parts of the screen regardless of where I place my PS camera or where I aim it.

I think being able to do stuff in VR is going to be a big deal because the added sense of spatial awareness would feel huge.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

veni veni veni posted:

I gotta say I am not impressed with the controls in this game so far. The moves feel really clunky and the DS4 feels even worse. Maybe I'm just not used to it, or my setup is bad but I've tried moving the camera multiple times. Really with I could just plug a M&K in tbh because thus far I wouldn't say this is something I'd extensively want to use as a creative space, just due to the controls. Hopefully that changes.
The moves are great once you get used to them. What's awkward at first becomes second nature. I don't think MKB would work very well since it's only 2d. VR will probably make things much easier though.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I wish there were more ways to set an object properties. I have been trying to set an sculpt's rotation but the only way I've discovered is to send a speed value to an advanced rotator and check when it has reached it to disable the signal with a rotation sensor. But the output value is not precise enough so it can easily overshoot it and miss the "equal" check without some rounding. :negative:

veni veni veni posted:

I have a really hard time reaching the lower parts of the screen regardless of where I place my PS camera or where I aim it.

I had the same problem until I realized I had to raise my arms a bit before centering the moves, that way it gives you enough leeway to reach the bottom without any problem.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 20, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lunar detritus posted:

I had the same problem until I realized I had to raise my arms a bit before centering the moves, that way it gives you enough leeway to reach the bottom without any problem.

Noted. thanks.

DrHub
Jun 21, 2012
My 3 years old just tried the game and was having a blast. He was laughing so much. :3: Well that's my Dreams story!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SubponticatePoster posted:

Has anybody dicked around with more complicated stuff? I spent the better part of last night setting up a level for a mystery game where you have to find clues and I think I've got the mechanics set up so if you pick one up it plays a stinger and then will play some voiced lines (still have to record those) but I can't figure out how to get the puppet to actually pick it up. And where/how do you add text like subtitles?

Also making music kicks rear end.
I think the right way to do that is with a tag childed to your puppet's hand and a teleporter on the prop to teleport it there. Probably plus some movers or something to make it look nice and animated instead of just popping into your hand, maybe

I threw something together real quick to see how it worked, idk if its the best way to do it or not. I also don't know how to download stuff from indreams
https://indreams.me/scene/dkNQxuPyKke

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Saw a good hint on reddit about weapons that may help, render them invisible on the player until getting pulled out, when they get (timeline) placed in the hand? I should bookmark the useful things I read.

Thing i'm investigating right now is getting a Shin Godzilla atomic breath kind of thing going, slicing geometry up, leaving burned scars, parts sliding off. May become a fun showcase project but it's starting to suck working with just DS4 sixaxis.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I wonder how many hours it’s going to take me to learn how to control the camera with these Moves. Trying to get a straight, side-on view of anything is impossible and moving around takes a dozen tries where I wind up upside down and facing the wrong way. Moving objects is a lot easier, though, and once I wrapped my head around using the X button instead of the trigger to navigate menus that’s become a bit quicker.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/2Z1SjPi.gifv

Making anything rotate with any kind of precision is pretty much impossible. :negative:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You guys tried this? Pretty nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvO3R9JvJMo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah that's a great one, my absolute favorite of the beta stuff I've played though is A Little Place in Outer Space. Check that one out if you haven't

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

It's pretty fun and quick to make maps even with a ds4. It's going to be a little tricky to get the strafe jumping right but I think it's possible.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i'm doing the tutorials and it's going well, you can do some neat stuff. However on my Homespace I flew off into space and not I have no idea where I am or how to get back. Everything is just dark purple and blinking lights in any direction. Please tell me I'm missing something.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Finnaly I cave in. Did most of the tutorials, and I guess I know how to build stuff. Controlling the controls is a different thing. I sometimes miss some "step by step" granular movement, the controls are so digital that when you need finne control you may send the object you want to control to outer space, instead of correctly rotating.

But is cool. They have made a thing where is easy to submerge into it. Is the one creation kit that is more like a ...dream... the hole of the rabit, the adventure of alice in wonderland.

---

The game don't use code. Instead uses circuits. So you have to wire everything like is 1940, it does support logic gates and to put things inside "chips". But oh well.

It does support powerful animation tools, like timelines, and keypoints and that stuff. If people made these awesome Flash games, they can do the same thing here.

..in theory. In practice I really miss using a keyboard and a mouse. The move controls and the control pad are hard to control for a 3D space.

Tei fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 23, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you share a project with only select people? Like, can you get a game jam going with some friends without sharing it to the general public?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Can you share a project with only select people? Like, can you get a game jam going with some friends without sharing it to the general public?
There's supposed to be a way to publish privately, but I'm not sure where the button is. You can also go public but unlisted and use the send button to mail it to people, or maybe set up an unlisted collection and make everyone collaborators on that idk

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wonder what the absolute limits of this are? It's hard to suss out from just messing with it, but like, would it be "technically possible" to, I dunno, recreate God of War or a lengthy RPG?

I played some RPGs that were done with Little Big Planet and they worked surprisingly well

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

precision posted:

I wonder what the absolute limits of this are? It's hard to suss out from just messing with it, but like, would it be "technically possible" to, I dunno, recreate God of War or a lengthy RPG?

I played some RPGs that were done with Little Big Planet and they worked surprisingly well

If you can break it down into "levels" they make it seem pretty absurd with how far you can go.

There's a limit of 100 levels in a scene, but each level is a scene, and you can stack that logic something like four levels deep. (Or whatever the actual terminology is.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfM38g4Z8ns&t=81s

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I keep trying to make Dreams to do my bidding.

https://i.imgur.com/05IlJn2.gifv

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IDK how nested dreams work, but I don't think variables persist into nested dreams, pretty sure at that point you're basically making a launcher. That's something I want to mess with though

Its real easy to fill up the graphics thermo in a scene though, especially if you're not being too frugal with sculpts. That seems like what would be the limiting factor for most dreams, idk what fills up gameplay thermo other than emitters, and sound is mostly just a measure of how many samples you have. So there's a real practical ceiling on how much poo poo you can cram into a single dream, but I don't think too many people are gonna make things of that scale. Like if you want to make stuff For Real instead of just gently caress around you should probably be using Unity or something instead of Dreams.

As far as mechanical stuff yeah you could totally do GOW or an RPG in it, but there are lots of things that are harder to express in dreams logic than if you were writing them in a programming language. For one storing and accessing a lot of data like an RPG might want to do is a huge pain in the rear end, each variable has to be declared separately and theres no dynamism, so something like an inventory system would require a lot of multiplexing logic to get working. Its totally doable though, people have already

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
From what I've seen it seems like inventory would be pretty easy to do but things like skill trees would be pretty annoying

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I dont think skill trees would be that hard. With a counter, and some “less than”, “more than” logic choosing where inputs go.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
I get where you’re coming from Tei, but using nodes is a lot more intuitive for the average non-computer science fluent person to use, I can’t think of another system that would be more useful and still as easy to comprehend, since im just starting the logic stuff and I can’t wrap my head around a lot of it as quickly as I thought I would be able to even with my experience using Max/MSP (visual programming language where you wire together ‘objects’, like, you can create a saw~ object, route it into an amplitude envelope, a low pass filter at 5000hz with [onepole~ 5000] and then stereo meters for volume control into an object like DAC~ which is the ‘speaker’ or output ). So yeah, i get where you’re coming from, Tei, because I guess I wish there was sort of options for both more complex stuff that you’re familiar with as well as stuff like max/msp, but that’s not really the point of the game. Apparently you can make an MMO when multiplayer becomes available..

Surprisingly, I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around the audio stuff, or specifically, samples. How do you upload audio samples to make instruments? I thought I saw something a while ago mentioning using the PS mobile app? That’s better than a Bluetooth mic, but I wish I could just stick a USB drive in the PS4 with samples I’ve made/chosen. There’s more than enough stuff to make what you want if you just look through the Mm instruments with the the search function, and the user made stuff too, but it’s usually not as complex as the sounds the devs have made. I just have shitloads of synth presets, drum samples and crazy max/msp patches I’ve programmed and saved as patches in Ableton live and I’d rather not spend time tweaking some wobble bass sound into something more interesting, and just use one of my own sounds. The keyboard does seem super useful (idk how it works exactly but it’s supposedly integrated into the music making tools, so I’m assuming it’s for inputting notes into the piano roll, which is wayyy better than trying to input notes w motion controls and tiny notes in the piano roll), and I’ve read you can use other ‘instruments’ as well, but I’m unsure what that entails. It surprisingly can receive OSC messages which is bonkers, and I’d like to try that out but I have no idea how I’d do it, unless i could like use the USB audio interface that came with that PS3 guitar hero type game that’s also for PS4, which is simply a 1/4” TRS/guitar cable with USB 2.0 on the other end, and I’ve heard the PS4 supports some audio interfaces so I guess I’ll experiment with all of that and report back.

But yeah I think I simply just need to figure out how to get samples uploaded and then I can really bonker down with the music poo poo. Can anyone recommend a good tutorial on importing audio samples, and I guess using the slice/performance tool? Or just any good, in depth tutorial, because the two audio tutorials in the game arent that helpful, like I figured all of that out simply looking at the audio tools, it doesn’t go into anything like sound design, it just tells you what a piano roll is and what a timeline is and how to combine the two, I think I’ve got everything else, simply because I’ve been using Ableton Live for like 8 years and I’m competent in a few others like Pro Tools and Renoise (which is a tracker, which would be interesting to see if it’s possible to make one, especially like a simple old school tracker which were very common in the 90s for composing music for PC games and probably consoles too, or rather, just like making a Renoise type interface using the audio tools already in Dreams, cause depending on how the keyboard functions, tracker users would love using it, and I might even prefer it even though I only use Renoise for quick like Dance Mania/Jersey club /Baltimore club/grime/and ‘ghetto’ house style drums and because it’s got great native effects, and the appeal of trackers is that you can basically just use a keyboard which makes your workflow really fast.

So uh yeah if anyone needs any music, like covers of songs, or originals, id love to contribute to a project by a Dream-goon. I’m up for whatever, and personally I find that I benefit from getting out of my comfort zone, since I know, or have used Ableton for so long that I tend to resort to the same methods and stuff like this helps me approach things differently after using a very different method of sequencing when I go back to using Ableton.

imhotep fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 24, 2019

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Imhotep posted:

I get where you’re coming from Tei, but using nodes is a lot more intuitive for the average non-computer science fluent person to use, I can’t think of another system that would be more useful and still as easy to comprehend,

I believe the same type of "widgets" are available in many sandbox. Here in dreams theres more power, and with more power comes more ways to screw up.

I have a idea about making a tile system, I will try to make it today.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Post the crap you've made in Dreams

https://twitter.com/LawfulWaffle/status/1120732686245683201

After I made this I realized that there's probably a sensor that can be tied to music cues so I didn't have to go and line up keyframes on a music timeline, but I'm happy that I was able to put little things I saw elsewhere into practice with only a bit of work.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Tei posted:

I have a idea about making a tile system, I will try to make it today.

Is starting to take shape.

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1121106922420219907

https://twitter.com/Teiman/status/1121107034043289603

Based on a variable, the tile show state A or state B.

The idea is for the tile to be able to show 5 states: road, desert, house, house2. Then fill the map with this tile, configuring each tile to a different state.

Heres the idea in a prototype state... and it works!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul2k_fi66M8

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 24, 2019

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

LawfulWaffle posted:

Post the crap you've made in Dreams

https://twitter.com/LawfulWaffle/status/1120732686245683201

After I made this I realized that there's probably a sensor that can be tied to music cues so I didn't have to go and line up keyframes on a music timeline, but I'm happy that I was able to put little things I saw elsewhere into practice with only a bit of work.
Well that's gonna give me nightmares.

I believe there is a sensor for it, though I can't remember what it's called. I really hope they get a more comprehensive help guide soon. The tutorials help with the basics, but there's so much that just isn't covered.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh3_OKq1F9M found a good way to import audio, this is ideal for me, as I'd like to make stuff with Dreams only (but with my own samples), but certain levels I want I have tracks I've made, or in one case, a cover of an old weird electronic song that's the soundtrack to a short animation from like the 70s that's really dope, and contains mostly like simple geometry.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Am I missing it or is there really no way to retarget animations from one puppet to another? I've been poking at a puppet for the past couple days for the spring element jam, and at some point half of my keyframes on this guy got hosed up and I thought I could go back and grab a previous version of the animation but you just can't I guess

In principle the animation system is really cool, being able to animate and tween any value in the system from object transforms to individual values on gadgets is amazingly powerful, but man in practice its kind of a pain in the rear end. If you have multiple animations running they blend great at runtime, but in the keyframe editor they interact in weird ways.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Release this for the PC you cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Songbearer posted:

Release this for the PC you cowards