Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
changing from F to E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!
Playing a "slow" character might be an interesting change of pace. Since F is doomed, I'll switch my vote from F to E too.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Mar 31, 2018

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

E

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Vote change: C to E.

Absum
May 28, 2013

D

technically too late but w/e

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Also probably technically too late but

A for Meowses

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Bask in the Eternal Suns glorious light!

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Voting doesn't appear to be closed so E.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

E

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Voting is closed. Expect the next post in the morning.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Mar 31, 2018

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Your name is Sheta and you are one of the Scaled Ones. This is what others call you. Among your own kind, you are just, The Folk. Life is simple, easy and blisfully uncomplicated for the Folk. That they live two and a half stone-throws away form an oppressive and tyrannical cat-ocracy is of no concern to them. Your people spend their days, their very, very long days sunning themselves upon rocks on the side of the River. Sometimes you get hungry so you slide into the river and find a fish to eat or maybe some yummy plants.

Fish taste better but plants don't flee away. Either are fine, you don't get too choosy. It is all just water falling off your shell. Very little bothers your people at all. The sun rises, the sun sets and there is always another day. Whatever minor, inconsequential thing might trouble you today is quickly a distant memory as the gentle lapping of the river washes all away.

Your people Go with the Flow.

You don't know who your parents are but that does not bother you at all. Well, they are SOMEWHERE of course, you just don't know who they are. Hatchlings, those that survive, are raised communally. Nothing in the river is big enough or strong enough to hurt one of your kind and on the rare occasion, the truly rare occasion that something might actually threaten you from the land, you can just slide into the loving embrace of the River. There are legends of dangers which sometimes come from the Endless Forest, cautionary tales spoken by the Elders, the oldest of your kind, but you have never seen such terrors. They once told you a story of a strange giant things with enormous claws and tremendous fearsome teeth, but even they cannot find your kind hidden among the waters.

Your kind believe in two gods, their... creative naming reflects the feelings and beliefs of your people.

There is the River. Long ago the River polished some rocks into the first eggs of your kind for some unknown reason. No one really knows or cares why. It just you know, happened? Not a big deal. The other god believed in by your people is Sky-Light-And-Warm-Glowy-Thing-Which-Makes-You-Feel-Good. Neither deity demands any appeasement whatsoever, nor are there really any ways you can upset them either. They just are. And always will be.

Just like your people.

You are a bit of an oddity among your kind however. While others are content to blissfully spend their endless days sunning themselves on rocks(and you do that rather a lot as well), you wanted to see... more of life. Perhaps you thought life should be lived at a quicker pace, despite your endless days? The Elders warned you many times not to go to The-Filthy-Nest-of-Trash-and-Bad-Stuff, but you didn't listen. At first you watched from the other shore of the River and things there were so... so different.

Everything is moving there all the time, in stark contrast to Home. Oh, that is where your people live. The cluster of rocks best to sun yourself upon is Home. But the Filthy-Nest-of-Trash-and-Bad-Stuff is pretty different from Home! There are lots and lots of animals there and they move and run around all the time! At first you only watched from the far shore but eventually you worked up the courage to get on the same side of the River as them and sometimes you talked to them. From them, you learned a lot. The place is called the Middle Kingdom. The most numerous of the animals that live there are the Rabbits and they are not very happy. They grow almost all the plants and cut rocks and build things and do all of the hard work. It took a while for you to understand what "work" is but you have a pretty good idea now. "Work" is... doing something you don't want to, but have to anyway. Sort of like eating when you are hungry, but much worse. Because if you decide you don't want to eat YOU can just wait until you find easier, slower food but they can't, they have to work EVERY day! That sounds... that just sounds exhausting! You feel tired just thinking about it! Your best friend is a rabbit but more on them later. The Rabbits are sad because they don't get enough food and have to work hard all the time and don't ever get to just... be. Below the Rabbits are Mice and Rats. They have it worst of all. The Rabbits live in burrows they dig underground but they also dig big pits and line the sides with rocks so the Mice and Rats can't get out. The Rabbits throw food down into the pits to keep the Mice and Rats alive, until they become food for the Gods.

That was confusing too because there are only two gods, River and Sky-Light-And-Warm-Glowy-Thing-Which-Makes-You-Feel-Good. And you can't talk to them. Well you could but that would be silly, why would you talk to a god? And they don't walk around and do stuff. But your rabbit friend said that they were gods and also not gods. And that they were liars. He said they were called Cats and that they are lazy and bad. They have sharp claws and long teeth and eat everything and everyone else and if the Rabbits and everyone else don't do what they say, the Cats eat them. The Cat in charge of everyone else is the Pharoah, his name is Ramsses the poo poo. The idea of "being in charge" is still kind of weird to you. Why would someone... do what someone else tells them to do if they don't want to? You sort of get the idea that they will kill and eat you if you don't but somewhere deep inside of you the idea just... fails to resonate, it feels weird.

The Cats live in the Pharoah's Palace, a big building made of rocks that the Rabbits cut. And when they die, they get put in other big places made of rocks. Your rabbit friend does not know why, but he says that he and his family have been building one for a very, very long time. Sometimes you watch and there... there are a lot of them, just dragging rocks to the top of it all day long.

There are other folk in the Middle Kingdom too. There are the Ducks. Sometimes the cats eat them but usually not, your rabbit friend says they do special work so they don't usually get eat, but that the Cats hurt their wings so they can't fly. That makes you sad. When he told you about it, you imagined not being able to swim and that... that would just be awful. Hedgehogs and the Moles live in the Middle Kingdom too and they mostly dig up rocks.

The Middle Kingdom is a sad place but at least stuff happens there. Nothing ever changes at home. You are barley an adult according to your own folk, but you spend most of your time now a days down the River by the Middle Kingdom. Sometimes you talk with the Rabbits or play games with them. Your best friend there is a Rabbit named Azarel.

You've known Azarel since he was only a tiny kit. One day when you were swimming in the river you saw something about mouth-sized struggling and you were hungry so you went to bite it. But it did not taste very good. So instead you carried it onto the side river to look at it. That was Azarel, he fell into the River. That was almost eight months ago. You are glad you didn't eat Azarel because he is your best friend in the whole world, instead you carried him back to the Middle Kingdom. You went back to Home but when you came back a few days later you saw Azarel in the River again and so you rescued him again. When you asked him why he was in the River if he can't swim he said "It was the only way I could find and thank you!" He gave you a big hug on your snout. Well a tiny hug. Because Azarel was very tiny. But it was as big as he could give you anyway. Azarel used to come to the side of the river almost every day but he can't anymore. He would tell you stories or tell you about the Middle Kingdom. Sometimes you would play games and once he even grabbed onto your shell real tight and you swam him around under water! Some of the other Rabbits don't really like you much. You told the they don't need to be afraid, they taste bad, but this did not seem to do much to re-assure them. Others eventually got used to your presence, sometimes you bring them small fish or tiny pieces of tasty plants. Not because you have to, because you want to. That makes them happy. Azarel does not come to play much anymore though, he says he has to Work and that makes him sad and because he is sad, you are sad too. When he can come and visit is sad also because he is so tired all the time and can't play.

1. How do you not be sad anymore, Sheta?
A. I... I just don't be. The sun will rise and it will set and anything bothering me will just stop eventually. Try to forget about Azarel.
B. The Elders don't like that I spend so much time away from Home, they warn me that The-Filthy-Nest-of-Trash-and-Bad-Stuff is dangerous and that I might get hurt! But that is silly, nothing in the whole world can hurt me as long as I am near the edge of the river, I can just slide back in! But still, they are very old and they know a LOT! I try to get advise from the Elders on what to do.
C. The next time Azarel comes to visit, I try to convince him to run away! He can come to Home with me! The... others probably won't eat him, he tastes bad anyway.
D. I... I actually do Work. Crazy, but I do it! I spend time hunting for more fish than I need and I bring it to Azarel. Then he won't be hungry anymore and maybe he won't be sad? Then maybe we can play more!
E. I look for new things to eat. Maybe if I find something new and interesting and tasty that will make me feel better! There are lots of things I have not tried eating before.
F. I try to make a new friend. There are lots of folk living at the edge of the river in the Middle Kingdom and if I can find a new one who is not sad, maybe I won't be sad either!
G. I tell one of the folk in the Middle Kingdom I want to talk to a Cat! Things are so... weird there and maybe if I talk to a Cat things won't be so weird anymore? Or maybe I can convince them to let Azarle come play!
H. Something else. Fill in.

[...]

If there are questions you would like to know about Sheta's world, as Sheta knows it, ask away. Questions will be limited to Sheta's knowledge only.

[...]

If you want to, feel free to join us on irc #madgod on synirc.net. The channel tends to always have some people in it and is especially active when updates go up.

If you do not know what IRC is, here is a web based chat version which will not require you to register or download anything: http://chat.mibbit.com/

Diogines fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Mar 31, 2018

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
this "work" business is just obviously ridiculous, and these cats need some education. G

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
F is for Friendship!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

B

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
E

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
G

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
D. Friendship solves all problems.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B, ask Fishamal for advice.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

C

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
H. Eat Azarel the next time he visits us, so that he can be part of the Folk permanently.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

E

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
d

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
D

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

TEam hunger!

I would also be ok making friends with a duck, they seem cool and also like water so they are clearly smarter than most of the other things in the middle kingdom.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question: do ducks eat fish and if we have extra fish that the rabbits don't want should we try befriending a duck?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
G

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
D let's give Az food to be happy!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Try to find a cat near the river. Talk to it. Gain its trust. When no one is looking drag it into the river and consume it

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

G

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

E

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JosephWongKS posted:

H. Eat Azarel the next time he visits us, so that he can be part of the Folk permanently.

I can get behind this vote, E.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 31, 2018

Bob Tuskins
Jul 27, 2007

I couldn't imagine life without the beautiful sight of the green horde
G

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A

This whole middle kingdom poo poo sounds complicated and dumb. gently caress that, let's go sun ourselves on some chill-rear end rocks and avoid the whole mess.

Cornuto fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 31, 2018

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Find a duck, they seem interesting.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

D

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

G Maybe cats taste good?

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

A

• Locked thread