Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XX
B
C

Natalia moves as close as she can and starts to memorise the motions that she sees.

Surely nothing can defeat rational analysis?

She takes a glance at Chuubo and Miramie.

I wonder if they're seeing the same things as I?

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Reaction'!)

Chapter 17
Scene 7

Entropy leisurely strolls down the street towards Leonardo's laboratory.

It's time to check in on my favourite pupil! And also see what trouble De Montreal is involved with.

As he approaches, he suddenly hears someone yelling.

"-him go! Let him go! You can't have him!"

Moving more quickly (but still being careful to maintain his dignity), Entropy steps inside.

In the main room, Jasper is struggling to pull Leonardo loose from a spinning vortex hanging in mid-air. Strange shadows are being cast around the area.

Before Entropy can gather his wits, there's a sharp snapping noise, and both Leonardo and the vortex vanish.

Jasper looks at Entropy with a shocked expression.

"It just appeared from nowhere! Where has it taken him?"

Entropy looks about the room. There's no-one else there.

"Who would want him?"

Jasper punches Entropy in the midriff.

"Ah, possibly I misphrased that question? Rather, I should say, who could be responsible for this most dastardly abduction?"

"I don't know, but I'm going to get him back."

A: Jasper draws on her connection to Leonardo and senses his location. (Sight of the Hopeful Heart, spend 1 MP)
B: Entropy uses the earth of Fortitude to make a Nightmare's Angel Tracking Bird. (Guide, one free use per chapter)
C: Entropy makes some calls to arrange for a search for Leonardo. (Spend 4 Will with I Know Somebody 0)
D: Jasper extends her senses through the Sun's light, looking for Leonardo. (The Heart of the Sun)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

A > B

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XX
B
C
D

Jasper remembers feeling Leonardo's hopes soaking into her body, feeling them motivating her cells into alteration. From that time, she's held tiny pieces of him inside herself. She looks inside them, and finds them to be full of images, like kaleidoscopes. She can see Leonardo in a room, arguing with someone. His surroundings look to have a familiar theme.

"The Nightmare World! That's where he's been taken!"

Entropy nods. "You should seek out Chuubo. I think he has some tricks that might help." He quickly gives her directions.

Jasper nods back. "Thank you sir." She rushes out.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Decisive Action'!)

A: Entropy decides to accompany Jasper on her trip to the Nightmare World.
B: Entropy decides to go and see if Rinley's finished with the dragon yet.
C: Entropy decides to go and explore Seizhi's new universe further.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C X

Entropy walks back into the Outside. He's in no particular hurry, and he spends some time speculating about the result of Seizhi's actions. With his Dirt-Detecting Gaze he can see the filth of the place being peeled away. The strength of the effect keeps growing.

I made Fortitude as pure as I could, but perhaps this place will become even more fertile.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Discovery'!)
(Entropy II gains a point of 'Calling'!)

Rinley has been struggling for some time now. The Glass Dragon is refusing to change completely, and the life is starting to face from the mural. The parts of it that she's already changed are starting to change back. Finally, she has to give up.

"Whose idea was this, anyway?"

"Um, can't remember..." replies Chuubo.

Miramie starts to quietly clear her things up.

Natalia stares into the mural as it settles into an inanimate state.

Rinley flexes her hands, frustrated. "I was sure I had it there for a while, but it slipped away from me!"

At home, Natalia lies on her bed and stares at the ceiling.

I certainly seem to have gotten used to a lot of things.

(Natalia Koutolika spends 14 Bonus XP to complete 'Your Social Burdens'!)

A: Natalia works out to call up (but not control) destructive forces. (Natalia gains the World-Breaking power with one free use per chapter)
B: Natalia grasps some of the nature of the Outside. (Natalia gains the Outside Comprehension power with one free use per chapter!)
C: Natalia finds that Miramie's left some power trapped in her paintbrush. (Natalia gains Accessory: Miraculous Paintbrush!)
D: Natalia has come to an understanding with the Headmaster of the Bleak Academy. (Natalia gains Connection: Headmaster 4!)

Seizhi has melted into the background of Fortitude.

This feels familiar. I think I started out like this.

At the same time, he's out in the universe he called up. He carries the strength of Fortitude with him, and he can feel the Outside being forced back.

With this action, will I lose my life? I think I'm willing to give it up. I think that this is where I'm meant to be.

Many things are clear to him now.

(Seizhi Schwan spends 13 Bonus XP to complete 'Atonement'!)

Z: Seizhi feels a sense of great support from the world around him. (Seizhi gains the 'Lighter Heart' perk, allowing him to restore all his Will and MP once per book!)
Y: Seizhi feels more robust. (Seizhi gains a Tough Health Level!)
X: Seizhi learns how to pour his essence into inanimate objects. (Seizhi gains the 'Find the Heart' perk, extending the scope of his 'Touch the Heart' power!)
W: Seizhi feels his mind extend across reality. (Seizhi gains Know Stuff +1!)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B X
C
D

Z X
Y
X
W

I'm from Earth. Earth was drowned in the Outside. Perhaps I'm actually stranger than many of the people here. When I was at the Bleak Academy, I didn't feel as though I didn't belong.

(Natalia has two perks that have never seen use, so I'll have her lose the first of these to clear a slot for the new perk.)
(Natalia Koutolika starts a new quest, 'Action!')

Seizhi feels at peace. Here, he has drawn enough strength from Fortitude, and now he holds it inside himself. There, in the Outside, he can extend his essence in every direction. There's nothing to interrupt him. Gradually, he lets go of the part of his self that still rests in Fortitude, shifting his consciousness out, and letting it disperse among the blooming universe.

But one thing still pulls at him. Long ago, Chuubo wished for a friend. And that wish is still written into reality as an immutable specification.

I need to be here... But I can also be there.

Seizhi listens to the original wish. He looks back through his life, examining the details.

Improvements can be made.

Seizhi pulls each piece of himself from where it rests in Fortitude, reconstructs it, and returns it. When he's finished, it's no longer part of him, but it still resembles him.

Now, take my memories.

Seizhi has one thing left to give.

Now, take my name.

He who was once Seizhi lets go, and resumes his expansion.

He who now is Seizhi Schwan wakes, sitting against a wall. He gets to his feet. He can still feel some sense of connection to the thing in the Outside, but it's no longer his responsibility.

So. Back to square one? No, more like passing GO.

(Seizhi Schwans's 'Become Somebody' ability increases to 4!)
('Touch the Heart' is now free!)
('Reject' now only costs 1 MP!)
('Touchstone' now only costs 2 MP!)
('Reject [powered up]' is now available for 4 MP!)
(Having completed his arc, he fades a little into the background, and no longer has two mandatory XP actions per chapter.)

(As the chapter ends, all characters regain their Will!)
(Jasper Irinka regains 1 MP!)
(Seizhi Schwan regains 1 MP!)
(Rinley Yatskaya regains 1 MP!)
(Natalia Koutolika regains 1 MP!)

Book 2
Chapter 18
Scene 1

Jasper stands with Chuubo, Rinley and Miramie in the temple.

"You can't do it?" she asks.

"No, I don't think I can just make a doorway appear at just the right place like that. But, I mean, you know, this isn't the first time that bunch has taken him, maybe I should open a door to that place they had him before? I bet I can do that!"

"Do we really need him back anyway?" asks Rinley. "YOW! Jasper, I was just kidding!"

Miramie has her eyes closed, trying to sense Leonardo through their connection.

A: Chuubo goes to the engine and makes a wish for them to be where Leonardo is. (Wishing, one use per chapter)
B: Miramie sends her spirit out to Leonardo. (A Waking Dream, spend 1 MP)
C: Jasper gives Chuubo a detailed description of Leonardo and the state he's in to make it possible for him to open a door to Leonardo directly. (Spend 2 Will with Connection:Nightmare's Angel 2)
D: Chuubo opens a doorway to the place where Leonardo was imprisoned before.

Updated character sheets.

Twiler fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 4, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C X
D

Jasper strains her memory to recall every detail that she can about Leonardo. She tells Chuubo of Leonardo's appearance, of what he must have been feeling, of where he was, of what she saw when he was taken.

It takes Chuubo some pondering, but he eventually manages to get a fix on the correct place, and opens up a doorway. Inside, they can see Leonardo sitting amidst a set of instruments, peering into a microscope.

"Monty-" Jasper steps forward, but freezes in shock as some sort of force makes itself known in the temple. Shadows stretch across the floor, and the air grows cold.

"Monty!" He doesn't seem to hear. He is being obscured by a strange smog that's spreading through the area.

Miramie can see the face of Melanie Malakh, endlessly repeated in strange patterns of light and darkness that dance around her.

(Miramie Mesmer is now Innocent and Twitching. Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Under Siege'!)

Jasper can see her father, and herself, grown wicked.

"Hey, it's a mass of nightmares!" says Rinley, spying with her special sight. "They're coming through the door!"

A: Chuubo triggers a Peace-Splosion. (Peace-Splosion, one free use per book)
B: Jasper repels the nightmares. (Rebuke, one free use per chapter)
C: Miramie unmakes the nightmares. (The World-Breaker's Hand, one free use per chapter)
D: Rinley gives Jasper the strength to reach Leonardo. (There's No Turning Back Now!, one free use per chapter)
E: Rinley pulls the nightmares apart. (Spend 2 Will with Superior Dreamer 2)
F: Jasper gradually eats up all the nightmares with her Misery-Eating Arm.

Natalia has been spending some time letting her thoughts grow calm.

Gradually, a thought has become prominent. The Glass Dragon is a problem that needs to be solved permanently, and she may well be the person who is most qualified to accomplish this.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Peaceful Moments'!)

Z: Natalia suddenly knows something vital about the Glass Dragon. (Outside Comprehension, one free use per chapter)
Y: Natalia writes down everything she knows about the Glass Dragon and tries to deduce what weakness it might have. (The Prodigy)
W: Natalia returns to the Bleak Academy to see if she can infiltrate the operation.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

E

Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C
D
E X
F

Z X
Y
W

Rinley starts drawing lines in the air with her fingers. The lines cut through the shadows, splitting them into fragments that are rapidly eroded away by the light.

After obliterating the nightmares attacking her, Rinley turns her attention to Miramie. Stripping away the shadows, she finds her curled up in a ball, shivering.

(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Comfort'!)

Chuubo and Jasper seems to have fared better. Chuubo emerges wearing a bright smile. Jasper looks pensive, but not because of the experience.

"What happened to the door?" she asks.

"Oh, I closed it." replied Chuubo. "Clever, eh? I stopped more of those things coming through."

"Open it up again! We need to rescue Monty!"

"Oh, okay."

(Chuubo gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Face-Palming'!)

Rinley look concerned. "Er, maybe you shouldn't-"

Chuubo opens the door once more, and darkness starts to pour in again. But this time, there's something else as well.

Ill-Made enters the room, a hooded figure with glowing eyes. As she steps inside, all eyes are drawn to her.

"Fools." she utters.

Rinley tries to raise her hands against the nightmares closing in, but she finds herself stricken with a strange sort of paralysis. She can't turn her attention away from Ill-Made.

Jasper struggles against the feelings that bind her. This is what I am fighting. This despair. This battle is what my duty leads to.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'The Trials of the Sun'!)

A: Jasper triggers a Hope-Splosion. (Hope-Splosion, one free use per book)
B: Miramie sends her spirit out to Leonardo, calling for him to realise their plight. (A Waking Dream, spend 1 MP)
C: Chuubo calls for Seizhi.

The Glass Dragon is an aberration, but one which is occupying a vital place within reality. It cannot be removed except by making a major change to reality. Such a change has to be a major undertaking, something comparable to a 'wish'. Chuubo once occupied this place, but he has not yet reclaimed it fully. Some decision must be made as to how the conflict between them is to be resolved.

Z: Natalia resolves to find a way to turn the Glass Dragon into Chuubo.
Y: Natalia resolves to find a way to turn Chuubo into the Glass Dragon.
X: Natalia resolves to give the Glass Dragon a different role to fill.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

X

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B
C

Z
Y
X X

A new role, but what should it be? I need to perform research.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Decisive Action'!)
(Natalia Koutolika gains a point of Calling!)

Jasper calls upon hope. A warm feeling spreads through the room, and the nightmares immediately burn away to nothing. Miramie uncovers her face and looks around.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Gratitude'!)

Rinley feels hope sweep through her. She's assured that she's going to get through this, and see Sessily once more.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Quest XP for 'Climbing the Sacred Mountain'!)

Ill-Made snarls. All their eyes are being drawn to her. They can't look away.

But they can hear something else entering the room. There's a low hiss, followed by many more hisses.

"TO BATTLE!" yells Rinley.

"ER, YEAH!" yells Chuubo.

A: Chuubo triggers a Peace-Splosion. (Peace-Splosion, one use per book)
B: Chuubo overcomes Ill-Made's power. (Immortality, spend 1 MP)
C: Chuubo waits for a moment to act.

G: Miramie unmakes Ill-Made's image so that they can't be compelled to look at her. (The World-Breaker's Hand, one free use per chapter)
H: Miramie waits for a moment to act.

M: Jasper strikes at Ill-Made with holy power. (Rebuke, one free use per chapter)
N: Jasper raises a shield to protect herself. (Soul-Preserving Shield, one free use per chapter)
O: Jasper waits for a moment to act.

Z: Rinley launches her yo-yo at Ill-Made. (Spend 2 Will, Deadly Yo-Yo)
Y: Rinley waits for a moment to act.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

H

M

z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B
C

G
H X

M X
N
O

Z X
Y

Rinley flings her arm out, and the yo-yo shoots forward with an inexplicable amount of force. It disappears beneath Ill-Made's hood and vanishes. She screams and staggers back. The yo-yo falls to the ground.

Jasper raises her hand and a tiny sun flares inside it. Light streams out, burning into Ill-Made's eyes. She howls.

Before she can retaliate, Chuubo waves a hand, and peace spreads through the area. Ill-Made hesitates, and then gestures to the door. Suddenly, they are all free to look around.

Rinley snaps her head around to discover what else is in the temple. To her amazement, she discovers Simon Brambles, the Prince of Thorns, surrounded by suddenly docile snakes.

"What are you doing here?" she demands.

He scowls. "You shunned my friendship-" Ill-Made gestures more furiously, and the two of them flee from the temple.

"Close it!" Ill-Made shouts, indicating Chuubo's door.

"...How?" Simon responds.

Before they can do anything else, Chuubo, Miramie, Jasper and Rinley all pursue them. Ill-Made curses.

"MONTY!"

Hearing Jasper's voice, Leonardo finally looks up. "Ah, greetings! What seems to be the problem?"

"Quick, order these two to not attack us, and to answer all our questions!"

"Oh yes, okay, don't attack, answer all the questions." Leonardo returns to his microscope.

(Jasper Irinka gains 5 Quest XP for 'Trials of the Sun' for bending an enemy to her will!)

The Prince of Thorns sighs. "Fine. I'll explain. We need him to act as our ruler, and to apply his expertise to the problems of our realm. The Blasphemy must be pushed back, and our identities must be rediscovered. No-one else can do these things, and we were able to present him with subjects that were sufficiently fascinating to make him forget you."

"Forget her?" says Leonardo, suddenly paying attention again. "Never! I'm leaving right now!"

Jasper hesitates. "Perhaps... You shouldn't."

"Huh?"

"I think... I need some time to complete my own change. If they need you for a while, it'd be best for it to be now. I think we need to be apart for a while."

I never thought I'd say anything like that, and I never thought I could say anything like that until now. I never understood why anyone would or could, but I suppose that's just what happens in the end.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'A Mortal Life'!)

Wow! thinks Rinley. I never thought I'd see that happen!

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Quest XP for 'The World is Changing'!)

I mean, I never thought I'd hear that happen!

"But... But..." Leonardo is baffled. "I can't just..."

"A few moments ago you didn't have any problem staying here. It won't be forever." Jasper steps back through the door, and indicates that the others should follow. "Chuubo, when we're through, close the door. Monty won't be able to think of anything else to say for a few minutes."

"N- I- Yo- Hey- Wait- Hold-"

Chuubo closes the door.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Decisive Action'!)

Chapter 18
Scene 2

Jasper sits in the temple, thinking.

Rinley has scooped up some wish-matter (or possibly dream-matter) from the floor and is trying to reshape it. Chuubo and Miramie are doing their best to help.

"Perhaps you need to squeeze it a little more tightly?" suggests Chuubo.

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Precious Memories'!)

"Or perhaps you need a tool? Even a stick might help!" Miramie adds.

(Miramie Mesmer is now Innocent and Calm. Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Under Siege'!)

Rinley stares at the thing in her hand. It isn't anything in particular, but it has the potential to bloom in many different directions.

I've done this many times without really thinking about it, but now I need to understand it properly.

A: Rinley asks Jasper to raise some more hope for her.
B: Rinley decides to go and examine the Wish-Granting Engine.
C: Rinley asks Chuubo to open a door back to the land of the Fey.

Natalia sits in the quiet of the Archive, reading through a pile of books.

Here, I put one thing on top of another, I step forward, in serenity, controlling, considering-

The door bangs open.

"Hello, dear student!"

Natalia groans inwardly.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Wincing'!)

Immediately realising that she's not going to get rid of him easily, Natalia succinctly describes her project.

"Very interesting. I will assist you."

Z: Entropy awakens Natalia's memories of Typhon in the hope that remembering one dragon will help her develop a plan to deal with another. (Open the Vault, one free use per chapter)
Y: Entropy phones up an expert on dragons. (Spend 4 Will with I Know Somebody 0)
X: Entropy decides to help Natalia with her research.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Seizhi is walking down a street in Fortitude. It's much easier now for him to release his essence from his self. Everything seems to be shining brightly. He smiles up at the sky.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

X

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B X
C

Z
Y
X X

Outside, Chuubo starts trying to explain the steps he went through during the creation of the engine.

"...so I started out with the standard 'Cardboard Box' design, but then I had to move on to a better model, so I set up a fresh foundation with some new parts and then I kept adding new stuff to squeeze the material into different shapes and also to make it all taller."

(Chuubo gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Face-Palming'!)

"Perhaps this is more of an art than a science?" Miramie suggests.

Rinley pokes around inside the machine's innards, trying to imagine what happens when the parts are in motion.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

Entropy starts going through the books looking for suitable subjects for research.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

Chapter 18
Scene 3

"You're sure this is necessary?" Entropy asks Natalia.

They're at the Bleak Academy, cautiously peering around a corner, looking towards one of the workshops. From what Natalia has heard, this is where the new iteration of the Glass Dragon is being assembled.

"Yes. I need a sample of its material to subject to examination before I can make any more progress."

"I hope that we know what we're doing."

(Entropy II gains 1 Quest XP for 'Mentor Syndrome'!)

No-one seems to be paying any particular attention to what's happening in this area. Cautiously, Natalia and Entropy approach the front door. The building seems strangely silent, even though it's somewhat ricketty looking.

A: Natalia smashs the door down with one punch. (Push Yourself, spend 1 MP)
B: Natalia transports both herself and Entropy through the door. (Spend 2 Will with Spatial Martial Arts 2)
C: Natalia transports just herself through the door (Spend 1 Will with Spatial Martial Arts 2)
D: Natalia goes around the back to look for another way in.
E: Natalia knocks on the door.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Rinley continues to fiddle with the insides of the engine, while Chuubo tries to explain the purposes of the parts.

"...and that's the bit that makes everything squishy, and that's the part that rolls it out, and that bit turns things green, and that part makes them fidgetty..."

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B X
C
D
E

Natalia takes Entropy's arm and twists the two of them through some carefully considered angles. They reappear on the other side of the door.

Entropy finds himself momentarily blinded by the massive amounts of dirt floating around the room. He has to make a mental adjustment to see only that which is physically there, and not that which is picked up by his Dirt-Detecting Gaze.

A enormous number of pieces of glass are laid out on a set of long tables. Academy students are working at different positions on a partially formed Glass Dragon. One of them finishs attaching a piece and picks up another from one of the tables.

Natalia's eyes are drawn to a large mirror, off to one side. Inside, the image of Melanie Malakh regards the rest of the room.

Natalia has to take a deep breath at seeing her again, but manages to do it silently. She looks at the glass pieces.

One of those... One of those...

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Wincing'!)

A: Entropy forces everyone to pay attention to him so that Natalia has the opportunity to grab a sample. (Transfix, one free use per book)
B: Natalia hits the partially complete Glass Dragon with her special move. (Outside-Neutralising Punch, spend 1 MP)
C: Natalia performs a flying kick towards the mirror. (The Prodigy)
D: Natalia pulls a piece of glass into her hand through an aperture in space. (Spatial Martial Arts 2)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Last option B said 2 will but you deducted 2 m-will is that correct?

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Yes, M-Will is just Will that recharges more easily.

(Edit: And in some cases is restricted in its use.)

Twiler fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 17, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Twiler posted:

Yes, M-Will is just Will that recharges more easily.

(Edit: And in some cases is restricted in its use.)

Thanks!

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B
C
D

Entropy draws himself up to his full height. "Look unto me! I, who stand here, stand in judgement of your sins! Look at what your hands have wrought! Repeating the mistakes of the past! Not just a crime, but a blunder!"

All work stops and Melanie Malakh turns in the mirror, glaring at him.

"You have no place here, prince of a dead world. Leave."

"No, I do not think that I shall. I-"

While the two of them sneer at each other, Natalia quietly sidles up to one of the tables and pockets a piece of glass. She creeps away.

"-and you shall see that my father's name remains as potent as ever! At the end of all things, Entropy shall reign supreme!" He pauses to check Natalia's position. "But why do I waste my words on those such as you? Surely my time is more valuable than that would imply!"

He turns and strides away.

Chapter 18
Scene 4

In Leonardo's laboratory, Natalia digs through equipment until she finds the Outside-Measuring Caliper.

I think that this should come in handy... It seems to hold together better than most of the other things here.

"Might I say-" says Entropy. "-how much I applaud your requisition of this facility. What is he going to do with it anyway?"

Peering at the glass through a microscope, Natalia tries to concentrate, but finds herself brooding on the results she's already acquired.

I can see it. The Outside was here before us, and it will be here after us. The Glass Dragon is not so easily redirected. But perhaps it can be... 'Kicked upstairs'? Is there something it aspires to be but which can't bother us?

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Discovery'!)
(Natalia Koutolika gains a point of Calling! For gaining her third point of Calling, she regains 1 MP!)
(Natalia's Miraculous Will refreshes!)

Rinley is trying to assemble a map from bits of leaves and branches in Chuubo's garden.

"I've got it worked out! A wish has to begin with a journey, or it won't end properly! I have to go on a journey, and the world of the Fey is the only place!"

"I never thought of that!" comments Chuubo.

"But even if you've got this map, what route are you going to follow?" asks Miramie.

A: Travel around the world of the Fey in a spiral and end on the Glass Castle.
B: Visit all the places they've previously visited in the world of the Fey, in order.
C: Wander around the world of the Fey at random.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B
C

Back inside the temple, Chuubo opens a doorway. "Everyone through!"

Rinley eagerly scampers inside.

Miramie pauses. Is there something or someone I'm forgetting? Well, never mind.

They walk through into the land of the Fey and begin their journey.

Jasper wanders away from the temple. She can feel the conclusion of her transformation approaching.

What should she be doing?

A: Finding somewhere high in order to step into the sky.
B: Performing a ceremony with the Jotun.
C: Drawing a sketch of the future.

Entropy is checking his diary.

What should he be doing?

Z: Helping Jasper with her transformation.
Y: Helping Natalia with her research.
X: Resting at the academy.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B X
C

Z X
Y
X

Entropy employs his management skills to gather all the Jotun together, and supplies them with all the paraphernalia required for a Summer ceremony.

"And remember, I'll be making note of your names if I feel you're not pulling your weight!"

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

Her worshippers surround her, singing. They dance in circles, holding long ribbons attached to branches. She can feel herself connected to the sky through every ray of light. As she begins to move her body to the rhythm, she feels herself start to shine brightly. The jewels on her bracelet separate away from it and revolve around her, catching the light.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

Sorry, Monty. I have to leave you behind for a while. I have to be here, not sitting indoors having my dreams analysed.

(Jasper Irinka spends 16 Bonus XP to complete 'The Trials of the Sun!)

A: Jasper becomes more resilient! (Jasper Irinka gains 1 Divine Health Level)
B: Jasper discovers her potential to wield the power of the Sun's nuclear fusion! (Jasper Irinka gains the 'Avatar of the Sun' power, with one free use per book)
C: Jasper feels a new source of power inside her! (Jasper Irinka gains the 'Lighter Heart' power, allowing her to restore all her Will and MP once per book)
D: Jasper starts to radiate holiness, acting as a bane to the wicked! (Jasper Irinka gains the 'Holy Presence' power)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

B

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B X
C
D

(Okay, because I need to wind things together into a decent ending and the future of these forums is in question, these last chapters will proceed with less interactivity but more haste.)

As Jasper's transformation completes, she begins to reflexively shape the light cascading down from the sky. She momentarily takes on a halo and wings.

No, that's more of the way that mother would do it.

Jasper reshapes the light into a massive collection of tangled limbs, and lets them extend across the area.

Behold!

(Jasper's Primordial ability increases to 3!)

('Sun Lights the Path [Powered Up]' becomes easier to use!)
(Jasper gains the 'Tokens of Your Power' ability!)

(As the chapter ends all character regain their Will!)

Book 2
Chapter 19
Scene 1

Chuubo, Miramie and Rinley walk across the land of the Fey. At regular intervals Rinley stops to construct increasingly elaborate dolls. She starts by binding twigs together, but then moves on to rapidly assembling them from cloth and packing.

(Rinley Yatskaya uses 'Work of Fable', spending 1 MP!)

Natalia has filled up reams of paper in Leonardo's laboratory with notes on her research and speculation.

The Glass Dragon listens for wishes. But in the Outside, there's such a multitude of wishes waiting that it couldn't possibly deal with them. If it can be overwhelmed in that manner, then it will be incapable of displacing Chuubo. What's necessary is a trap of some kind.

I think it's time to receive feedback. I need consideration of this idea from a fresh perspective.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Discovery'!)
(Natalia Koutolika gains a point of Calling!)

Chapter 19
Scene 2

In Fortitude, by the fountain, Natalia is showing Entropy her notes, when the sound level suddenly drops. As they look about themselves, people are being engulfed by clusters of transculent material. They wear expressions of surprise as they're trapped like flies in amber. The clouds clear away to reveal a uniform, white sky.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 5 Quest XP for 'Action!' for the world freezing over!)

Entropy taps one of the clusters, making a ringing noise.

Glass! Natalia realises.

Entropy snarls. Who's doing this to my garden? These people are owed my protection! He casts his gaze about him angrily.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Shivers'!)

"Principal, I-" Natalia begins.

They look up-

-to see the completed Glass Dragon in the sky, shining brightly in the light of the sun.

(Updated character sheets. To be continued tomorrow.)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Oh poo poo!

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

Natalia shifts into a stance for combat and starts tracking the dragon's movements with her eyes.

"Now-" Entropy begins. "-I understand that this must be a concerning situation, but you have to bear in mind that we have many resources at our disposal, such as our capacity to observe our foe, and of course the most important resource of all, which is time-"

Natalia propels herself up into the air, grabs hold of the side of a nearby building and starts scaling.

The Glass Dragon takes notice, and shifts its orientation. It starts to spill downwards, flying down towards Natalia.

Reaching the roof, Natalia resumes her stance. As the dragon reaches her, she lashes out.

(Natalia Koutolika uses Outside-Neutralising Punch, spending 1 MP!)

The dragon's surfaces flare with light-

-but then the light dies away, and images of Melanie Malakh form over it.

"It will not fall so easily this time. Rather than simply construct it, I have amalgamated myself into its body! And I am more than a match for your tricks!"

And yet, I now know something I didn't before. Natalia thinks. Hardly a waste of effort.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 5 Quest XP for 'Action!' for dragging an enemy out of the shadows!)

"You up there!" Entropy calls. "I demand-"

Quite suddenly, a cluster of glass blooms around him, encasing him in an unexpected prison.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Being in Trouble'!)

Ah. Presumably it requires close proximity to employ its abilities, so-

Natalia leaps backwards off the roof, and grabs hold of a window sill as she plummets. She scrambles down the wall and reaches the ground-

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Being in Trouble'!)

Chapter 19
Scene 3

Entropy and Natalia awaken in... a void? Seizhi Schwan is sitting in front of them, looking quizzical. While they've just woken, they're not recumbent. Rather, they are both standing, feeling dazed.

"Sei-" Natalia stops and coughs. "Seizhi?"

"The two of you were both encased in what looked like glass, much like many other people! I brought you with me here, into Nowhere."

Natalia looks around, trying to focus on something, but there's an absence of anything to observe.

"I tried doing something to get rid of it, but when that didn't work, I pulled you here instead, and it just all melted away. I think something bad is happening in Fortitude!"

Entropy shakes himself. "EDUCATION ENDURES! With my enterprising pupils, this crisis shall be defeated!"

(Entropy II gains 1 Quest XP for 'Surreal Environments'!)

"Seizhi!" he continues. "Take us back!"

"Ah... I can't do it that easily, and surely you'd both be trapped again? I'm not entirely sure why I wasn't affected myself."

"Are you suggesting that we... do nothing?"

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Shivers'!)

"Huh? No! I just think we can't go straight back!"

"We need to do something more intelligent than that." Natalia interjects.

There's a pause.

"I have a responsibility to protect Fortitude." Entropy says finally. "I have to go back!"

"You're something like a general, and a general can't just rush into enemy lines and get himself eliminated." Natalia suggests.

Entropy wrings in hands in frustration.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Foreshadowing'!)
(Entropy II gains a point of Calling!)

They've reached the Glass Castle and Rinley has a collection of materials from all over the land, having been stuffing them into her pockets the whole way.

Rinley is putting together something much more elaborate than before, a life-sized model of Sessily. As Miramie watches, she gets glimpses of bones and organs inside, despite the fact that she's just working with leaves, grass and pieces of wood.

She stops for a moment. "Chuubo, I think I need your help to finish this."

He nods and steps forward.

Chapter 19
Scene 4

Sessily wakes up. She gets up from the floor of the Glass Castle, and looks around in confusion.

Rinley fist-pumps. "Yesss!"

I finished the journey! I got Sessily back! And with what I know now, I'm not going to lose her again!

(Rinley Yatskaya spends 13 Bonus XP to complete 'Climbing the Sacred Mountain'!)

A: Rinley learns how to call up some Fey power to protect herself from mortal harm. (Rinley Yatskaya gains Fey Protection, with one free use per chapter)
B: Rinley holds on to one of the dolls she made earlier. (Rinley Yatskaya gains 'Accessory:Living Doll')
C: Rinley finds herself more resilient after enduring her labours! (Rinley Yatskaya gains one Tough Health Level)
D: Rinley can now inspire people to greatness! (Rinley Yatskaya gains Shine 2)

Twiler fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 27, 2020

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C
D X

Sessily blinks a few times. "Rinley? ...Look at you! You have our dust on you! You have become as we!"

Rinley looks at herself. There's a strange, glimmmering effect on her clothes. She reflexively fiddles with her yo-yo, and feels a dangerous power dwelling inside it.

(Rinley Yatskaya's Creature of Fable ability increases to 1!)
(Rinley Yatskaya gains Superior Hunter 1!)
(Rinley Yatskaya gains the Soul-Carving Yo-Yo power!)

Book 2
Chapter 20
Scene 1

Chuubo, Rinley, Sessily and Miramie have arrived back at the temple. Natalia is explaining the situation.

"-and so after that, we had the Guardian Bird eject us in this vicinity. We knew that we'd need as many people as possible."

Miramie takes a few deep breaths. "All right, I knew that this was probably going to happen one day. That creature must be dealt with, now and forever! This last mistake needs to be cleared up, and Melanie Malakh needs to be thrown into the darkest pit!"

(Natalia Koutolika gains 5 Quest XP for 'Action!' for listening to a rant from someone she cares about!)

Entropy snaps his fingers to get Chuubo's attention. "Dear pupil, please open a large door through to Fortitude so that we can at least take a look at what's going on."

"...Oh yeah, I get it!" Chuubo pulls open a door in the side of a building atop a hill. They gather around, looking down on Fortitude. It's filled with clusters of glass structures with people trapped inside. No-one is moving.

"Please close it." says Entropy, after a while.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Shock'!)

"Chuubo-" Natalia begins. "-can you please open a door to just outside this building?"

"Sure!"

A door swings open, and Natalia examines the scene. She can see the strange white sky spreading out from Fortitude.

I don't think we've got all that long to fix this...

(Natalia Koutolika gains 5 Quest XP for 'Action!' for when there's nowhere to run!)

"Everyone listen. I have a plan, but I need all of you to help me consider the details. And also, there are two other people who'll we need..."

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

Updated character sheets. To be continued tomorrow.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

Chapter 20
Scene 2

A door swings open in Fortitude and Chuubo flies his body through it.

Good thing I learnt that trick to change my size!

As he expands back to his full volume, he looks up at the Glass Dragon hovering next to him. He can feel its power starting to take hold on him.

Okay, go time!

As Natalia suggested, he can feel the wishes of Fortitude around him. Through these wishes the hearts of the people are being laid open to the Glass Dragon. And through the corruption of their hearts, their bodies are being trapped in glass.

(Chuubo uses 'Wish-Healer'!)

Chuubo starts to heal the wishes.

All over Fortitude, the clusters of glass start to shake and creak. People start to shift and twitch.

Chuubo brings more force to bear, but he can feel the Glass Dragon start to retaliate. He starts to tense up-

-but he knows that he doesn't need to win.

Below, Seizhi hurries through the streets, checking the glass clusters. His heart is content, closed to the Glass Dragon. He finally finds who he's been looking for.

This didn't work last time, but I know the right thing to try now!

(Seizhi uses 'Touch the Heart[powered up]' spending 4 MP!)

"Hey Jasper, I know that you're all about hope and so forth, but you don't need to have any sort of wild dream or anything. You can just be Jasper Irinka, just that. Besides, you're at the top of the world, being the Sun, right?"

Seizhi's words cut through the glass, and drive themselves into Jasper's heart. She moves one of her arms, and cracks spread through the glass rapidly. She shrugs her shoulders, and the whole structure breaks into pieces.

"Ah... Ah! What happened? I was just talking to the Jotun, and then- Um..."

Seizhi points up at the sky, and her eyes follow his finger up to the dragon.

"AH!" She waves her hand.

(Jasper uses Hope-Splosion, spending 4MP!)

The Glass Dragon shakes and writhes-

-but doesn't break.

Huh?

"I think it's more resilent than the first time it showed up-" suggests Seizhi. "-keep up the pressure, but here's what we're going to do next-"

Chuubo reaches back with his tail, and opens up a couple of extra doors in the temple. One opens up into the land of the Fey, and one leads to another door in Fortitude.

Sessily gives a signal to her team of slingers. A hail of stones shoot out with great force-

-fly through the door into the temple-

-and out through the other door into Fortitude. They smash into the Glass Dragon's body, chipping and cracking it. It twists around in confusion.

Entropy climbs the side of a building, reshaping the stone into a set of holds. He has a little piece of Seizhi's essence inside him, keeping himself secure against the Glass Dragon's power. As he reaches the roof, he has the dragon clearly in his sights.

"Look this way!"

(Entropy II uses 'Open the Vault'!)

There's a flash of light from his hands.

"Melanie, I know you're in there. Do you remember dying?"

The dragon snaps its head back.

Seizhi nods. "Okay, Jasper, NOW!"

Jasper extends her Misery-Eating Arm with a whoosh, and attaches it to the dragon's side. She can feel the dragon's pain as it re-lives Melanie's suffering. She starts to draw that pain towards herself.

Watching from the temple, Natalia nods. She points the Spirit Replacement Projector that she and Leonardo built. Miramie stands on the connected pedestal a few feet away. Natalia presses a button on the side, and a beam of light shoots out and connects to the dragon's body. Miramie braces herself and casts her Changeling spell, taking on Melanie's appearance.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Action!')

Leonardo checks all the dials.

Can't stay away from my throne too long, but can't miss this opportunity either.

Miramie dissolves into motes and flows along the connection, and then through the light into the dragon's body.

Confused, the dragon feels one Melanie inside, struggling in pain, and another, outside, trying to break in.

Jasper hauls on Melanie Malakh, inhaling her pain.

Melanie manages to stay inside the dragon for a few moments longer, then loses her grip. Jasper forces her down into the nuclear furnace within her body. Miramie pours the whole of herself into the Glass Dragon, seizing control.

Entropy fist-pumps, then looks around to make sure that no-one saw.

(Entropy II resolves his Calling! Entropy II gains 4 Bonus XP!)

Natalia mentally ticks the last box on her mental list.

(Natalia Koutolika resolves her Calling! Natalia Koutolika gains 4 Bonus XP! Natalia Koutolika gains 1 MP!)

Chapter 20
Scene 3

The eight of them group together in Fortitude. Miramie and Chuubo, in dragon forms, swirl around the sky, looking at the other six.

Entropy is smiling and it doesn't seem menacing for once.

He looks up at Miramie. "How are you? Still in control?"

--Yes. I think I can take it into the Outside.--

"Yes!" says Leonardo. "And if Natalia's theories are correct, if it's taken to the right place, it will never consider returning!"

"Excellent." Entropy turns back to Jasper. "Has she melted yet?"

Abruptly, Jasper groans. Tiny ruptures open over her body, and a black mist begins to pour out-

-forming into a ghostly image of Melanie Malakh, hovering in mid-air.

"You will not defeat me. I will tear Miramie loose, and-"

"EDUCATION ENDURES!" Entropy shouts. He waves his arms. "ATTACK!"

(Entropy II gains 1 Quest XP for 'Surreal Environments'!)

(To be continued tomorrow.)

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Yesss final battle!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010

Natalia quickly snaps into a stance and starts to throw a punch.

(Natalia uses 'Outside-Neutralising Punch', spending 1 MP.)

Melanie manages to form an arm and a hand, and points. Natalia, in mid-motion, feels the beginnings of an unmaking.

A yo-yo shoots into view and slices through Melanie's arm, dividing it into two vertical pieces.

(Rinley uses 'Soul-Carving Yo-Yo', spending 1 MP.)

Melanie's shriek of pain is cut off by Natalia's fist smashing her form apart. Unable to hold herself together, Melanie breaks up into a swirl of black smoke.

"Don't let her get away!" calls Natalia, desperately looking around for help.

Entropy waves his hand.

(Entropy uses 'The World, Like Clay'.)

A ball of water rises out of the nearby fountain. Melanie's form expands into a thin cloud-

-but Entropy can easily follow her movements. He points, and the ball stretches out into a bubble. It quickly envelops Melanie, leaving her trapped. The surface shivers, filling with hundreds of tiny images of her screaming face.

"Hey Leonardo-" asks Rinley. "-how long do bubbles last?"

Leonardo thinks for a moment. "Not long enough. Chuubo, please use that tail of yours to open another door-"

In the Nightmare World, the Blasphemy is roaring and flailing. A silvery observation tower has been set up next to it. Some of Leonardo's recently recruited soldiers stand on a platform and peer down.

Suddenly, a door opens in the wall of the tower below them, and as they watch, a bubble floats out. It falls down in a spiral towards the Blasphemy, and disappears. For a moment, they think they hear a distant scream.

And then a voice.

"Ha!" yells Leonardo "Get out of that, if you can!"

Entropy II is supervising the clear-up operation. He's trying to take a moment to speak to each individual person who's been involved in the catastrophe and make sure that they're all right.

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Slice of Life'!)

Miramie is preparing to leave. The surfaces of the Glass Dragon now hold her image.

--I'll return as soon as I'm sure that the dragon won't.--

"Do you know how to extract yourself?" Seizhi asks.

--Not at present, but I'll have time to learn how.--

--I might come and visit!-- suggests Chuubo.

"Please do and try and come back soon!" says Jasper.

Natalia tries to speak, but she finds herself overcome with sudden emotion. She finally just waves.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Slice of Life'!)

Chapter 20
Scene 4

(We're at the end now, but for the sake of completeness:)

In his study, Entropy is writing up a set of school reports for his pupils.

Although I don't think they all have guardians for me to deliver these to...

(Entropy II spends 30 Bonus XP to complete 'Surreal Environments'!)

(Unless he gains a new perk slot, Entropy needs to clear one.)

A: Entropy loses his motorcycle! (Entropy II loses 'Accessory: Jenkins, Motorcycle')
B: Entropy's heart grows heavy! (Entropy II loses 'Lighter Heart')
C: Entropy forgets about Jasper a little! (Entropy II loses 'Connection: The Child of the Sun 1')
D: Entropy loses his connection to Horizon Academy! (Entropy II loses 'Garden: School')
E: Entropy loses his connection to The Evil World! (Entropy II loses 'Garden: The Evil World')
F: Entropy loses his connection to Fortitude! (Entropy II loses 'Garden: The Streets of Fortitude')
G: Entropy's eyes become dull! (Entropy II loses Dirt-Detecting Gaze)
H: Entropy loses some sense of direction! (Entropy II loses '+1 to A Map in Your Head')

M: Entropy learns how to restore dead gods! (Entropy II gains 'God Restoration' with one free use per book)
N: Entropy gains the power to protect his allies! (Entropy II gains 'Aura of Protection')
O: Entropy's mind expands! (Entropy II gains a ninth perk slot)
P: Entropy's powers expand! (Entropy II gains 1 extra MP capacity)

Natalia is eating dinner with her family, and considering the events of the last few months.

(Natalia Koutolika spends 19 Bonus XP to complete 'Action!')

Z: Natalia becomes more resilient! (Natalia Koutolika gains one Divine Health Level)
Y: Natalia becomes the great hero of Fortitude! (Natalia Koutolika gains 'Bond: Fortitude Hero 4')
X: Natalia becomes so good at planning that she can see five minutes into the future! (Natalia Koutolika gains 'Five Minute Sight')
W: Natalia works out how to avoid getting trapped! (Natalia Koutolika gains 'Affliction: Immune to Imprisonment')