Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«5 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Twiler
Oct 23, 2010


A
B
C XX
D

Miramie lets her spirit return to her body.

"Okay...dragons. Tell me who you are and why you're here. I won't hear any lies."

They stare at her.

Do they have ears? All right then.

--Dragons, tell me who you are and why you're here.--

Is this telepathy, this thing that I am doing?

The dragons eye her.

--We are who we are, and we have always been here.--

Miramie frowns. --Surely this place hasn't lasted forever.--

--It has not. But we were here before this place, swimming through the sea.--

Okay... The Glass Labyrinth is inside Chuubo, isn't it? So... Chuubo is as a sea to them? And they've always been inside him?

(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Discovery'!)
(Miramie Mesmer gains a second point of 'Mystery'!)

Chuubo is getting bored. He pokes his head around the entrance to the mirrored room and pauses. He can suddenly see a masked girl in the opposite mirror, staring over his shoulder. He checks behind him, but she clearly isn't there. She only seems to exist in the image shown by that one mirror.

She sort of looks like Miramie's older sister.

"Hello Wishing Boy."

Chuubo looks around at the other two, but they don't seem to have heard anything.

"Tell me, have you ever thought about how unfair it is that hypothetical people don't have the same rights as the 'real' people?"

"Well, no."

"That's selfish isn't it? But don't worry, but I've got a way for you to make it up to me. Get one of those dragons to guide you back home, then use that Wish-Granting Engine to wish that Melanie Malakh be set free from the Glass Labyrinth."

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Haunted'!)

"Um, who's Melanie Malakh?"

"I am. In a way."

"Well, I should tell the others where I'm-"

"No, do it right now. Don't waste any time."

"Why should I-"

"NOW, NOW! You owe me, don't ask questions!"

A: Chuubo should get one of the dragons to guide him back home, walk to the engine, then wish that Melanie Malakh should be set free from the Glass Labyrinth. (Wishing, once per chapter)
B: Chuubo should get one of the dragons to guide him back home, walk to the engine, then wish to know who Melanie Malakh really is. (Wishing, once per chapter)
C: Chuubo should ask her lots of questions about who she is, and why she's there.
D: Chuubo should go tell Miramie and Edric about what's happening.


Meanwhile...

After a long discussion, Jasper manages to convey to Leonardo what she's seen inside him.

"Okay, I get it. It must be that thing that I got at the Bleak Academy."

"Well, it doesn't look healthy."

"Pff. I can use it against the place it originated from."

"Are you sure? Isn't it like an infiltrator inside you?"

"Hmm..."

Perhaps I should take action of some kind.

Z: Leonardo should go to his lab in Fortitude and remove all his blood. That'll fix the problem. Presumably. (Spend 4 Will)
Y: Leonardo should have another look for the Occult section of the Archive. (Perseverance 2)
X: Leonardo should go to his lab in Fortitude and construct the Inner Nightmare Analyser, a device to faciliate the investigation of the nightmares trapped inside him! (Spend 4 Will with Nightmare Science 2)
W: Leonardo should go to his lab in Fortitude and construct the Inner Nightmare Expeller, a device to release the nightmares trapped inside him! (Spend 4 Will with Nightmare Science 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No need to sign, we'll take care of that.


Lipstick Apathy

C - Make her suffer question time!
W

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!


C,D

Y

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




1 C > D
2 X > W

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011


C > D
X > Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010


A
B
C XXXX
D

Z
Y X
X XX
W X

"Who are you? Why are you here? What is this place really? Why do you want me to-"

She gives a colossal howl of rage and grabs hold of Chuubo. Confused at being assailed by something he can only see in a mirror, he stumbles around-

And blunders into the storm.

A discharge of energy lances from the storm into Chuubo-

Into the shard suspended inside him-

Into the Glass Labyrinth-

Into the storm at its heart-

Abruptly, the reality around them breaks down. Blobby sections of space drift away and dissipate, taking the labyrinth, the dragons and the storm with them.

Chuubo blinks a few times, and realises that they seem to be back in the Sosunov shrine, with the magicians staring at them in shock.

"Ah, hmm."

He checks himself over. He's normally pretty resilient, but he's still relieved to find himself unharmed.

One of the magicians steps forward.

"What happened? The spell just fell to pieces!"

Chuubo's got no idea how to explain.


Chapter 3
Scene 3



A few days later, Chuubo is clearing the Outside Dust from his house. Miramie is off with an investigation into one thing or another. He hopes she discovers something useful. He would have followed, but he felt that he deserved a break. Of course, the problem with that idea is that the dust is still collecting in his home, and its rate of appearance just keeps increasing.

Perhaps I shouldn't have gotten side-tracked trying to help Miramie and Leonardo. I don't really want to shake the world, I just want a clean house.

He puts down his broom and walks out to the Wish-Granting Engine. It's been fully charged and ready for some time.

How about I use this... Or maybe...

Miramie seemed a bit fed up with him after that incident at the shrine, perhaps it's a good idea to impress her with his own capacities by using the engine to help unravel the mysteries of this glass shard.

Or perhaps he should just try and cheer himself up a bit.

A: Chuubo wishes for an icecream to eat. (Wishing, once per chapter)
B: Chuubo wishes for a new friend to help with the shard of glass. (Wishing, once per chapter)
C: Chuubo wishes that the Outside Dust couldn't get inside his house. (Wishing, once per chapter)
D: Chuubo wishes for something else. (Wishing, once per chapter)
E: Chuubo leaves the engine for the moment, and goes back into Fortitude. Perhaps one of the shrine families can help.

Wishes granted by the engine have a tendency to go wrong. The more closely they're tied to the PCs' feelings about Chuubo (as depicted on the Wishing Map in the opening post, now updated), the more likely it is that they'll turn out as intended.


Meanwhile...

Leonardo De Montreal finishes assembling the Inner Nightmare Analyser, with a little help from Jasper Irinka.

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)

It's a squat black device with a series of needles attached to it by thin wires. Leonardo places himself on a chair and starts shoving the needles into his skull one by one. Noticing Jasper gaping at him, he scowls.

"I'll need to concentrate for this. Please go away."

Jasper tries to think of something to say, and fails.

Okay, I guess I'll have to leave him alone for the moment.

I suppose I should carry on trying to learn something about mortals.


Fortitude offers many opportunities.

Z: Jasper should try and go catch some fish from the shores of the lake. Fishing is a multi-faceted activity.
Y: Jasper should return to the Archive and find some books that explain the phenomenon of 'sneezing'.
X: Jasper should go to the Pumpkin Soup restaurant, and get something to eat. She doesn't completely understand food yet.
W: It's currently the season known as 'Spring'. Jasper should find somewhere to buy a calendar so she can remind herself of what comes next.
V: Jasper should try and get one of those 'part-time jobs'.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!


E
V

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010


A
B
C
D
E X

Z
Y
X
W
V X

Chuubo walks down the street into Fortitude, thinking. The many different families who watch over the shrines are known for their great knowledge and power. Chuubo's heard a little about each of them.

Hmm. Perhaps I should go see the Sosunov family again. Or maybe-

A: Chuubo heads off to see the Sosunovs again. He never asked them about his own problems, perhaps they know some way to deal with Outside Dust.
B: The Kichi family know how to process the dust, plus they have sacred pools that can be used to perform purifications. Surely they can help?
C: The Titov family is said to be dangerous. Sounds intriguing!
D: The Vasili family can command the elements. Perhaps they can turn back the winds and send the dust away.
E: The Yatskaya family can speak to cats, shape dreams, and know some tricks regarding the sea. Interesting.
F: The Hayashi family melt Outside Dust into glass. That's certainly relevant here.
G: The Watanabe family makes sweets out of Outside Dust . Chuubo is absolutely certain that he needs to visit them.


Meanwhile...

Jasper Irinka sits down on the ground, and takes up a meditation position.

I am the Sun. Through my rays, my perceptions stretch.

Through a mote of light, Jasper inspects Fortitude, looking for job postings.

Signs in windows... Pinned on noticeboards...

After some time, she is able to compose a list of possible opportunities to pursue.

Yes! This is how I begin. I bring aid to those in need as I walk among them. I can get some of that 'money' stuff as well. I'll probably need that unless I return to Celestia soon. And I doubt that that's likely.

She gets up and stretches.

Bye for the moment Monty. I hope you get yourself sorted out.

Now which one should I choose?

Z: Down at the Noisy Harbour there's a job that involves moving crates around.
Y: There's a Tenko (aka a 'Shop Fox') who wants help running their pipe shop.
X: There's a shop specialised in serving the needs of the Jotun people. They need someone to man a till.
W: The veterinarian, Doctor Kiyomizu, is looking for an assistant.
V: There's a job about 'delivering newspapers' whatever that means.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

No need to sign, we'll take care of that.


Lipstick Apathy

F
Y

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!


F
Z, Y

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




E > F
X > Y

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011


E > F
V > Y

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010


A
B
C
D
E XX
F XX
G

Applying secondary votes:

A
B
C
D
E XX
F XXXX
G

Z X
Y X
X X
W
V X

Applying secondary votes:

Z X
Y XXXX
X X
W
V X

Jasper Irinka walks through the streets of Fortitude. As she moves, she can see Outside Dust swirling in the sky. With her newly augmented eyes, she can see unreal shades of colour inside the cloud, and complex, hidden patterns.

She arrives at the shop in question, and steps through the door, a little nervous. Behind the counter, the Tenko smiles in a welcoming manner. He looks mostly human, but his ears and tail indicate his heritage.

"Hello! Can I help you?"

"Ah, yes. I was here about the job? You sell plumbing, correct?"

"...Plumbing?"

"Yes, pipes."

"No, the sort of pipes that you smoke."

"Furnace pipes?"

"No, not those either." The fox picks up a thing made of wood from a nearby rack. "You put one of the ends of this pipe in your mouth, and you inhale the smoke from burning material at the other end."

Jasper is aghast.

"You sell torture devices??"

The fox looks a little affronted. "No, these are for the purpose of relaxation."

"Oh, sorry, sorry. So, what is it that I would have to do?"

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'A Mortal Life'!)

A little later, Jasper is set up at the shop counter. Her new employer (Piros Sūn) is in the back room, and she's manning the till.

Okay, time for honest labour!

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Slice of Life'!)


Meanwhile...

Chuubo arrives at the House of Crystal, the home of the Hayashi family. It's a huge building, three floors high, with the walls filled with windows.

He peers through into the ground floor. There are people everywhere, making, shaping, and decorating glass. As has been said, their raw material is Outside Dust. Their finished products are incredible works of beauty, often filled with magical enchantments. He's heard about this place, but actually seeing it takes him aback.

A: Chuubo should show someone the Glass Splinter he acquired earlier, see what they think about it.
B: Chuubo should see if he can buy a useful sample of Glass Magic. Perhaps something to repel the dust?
C: Chuubo should see if someone can teach him something about the glass working process.
D: Chuubo should simply ask someone 'Do you know how to get rid of Outside Dust?'

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars




A > C but ideally both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!


dont be mean to me posted:

A > C but ideally both

Agreed

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«5 »