Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

dont be mean to me posted:

B > C
P > O
Y > Z

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

B
O
X

Never not talk to cats.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B XXXX
C
D

M X
N
O X
P XX

Z
Y XXX
X X

Yes, yes, it all makes sense!

Leonardo finishes writing out his equations on several sheets of paper.

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Quest XP for 'Natural Scientist'!)

These demonstrate the antithesis of the principle of the Outside! I suppose I need to find something else to work on now though, Entropy said that fighting the Outside is Chuubo's job... At least I proved that I could do it, the Headmaster couldn't stop me from trying... Didn't Jasper want to talk to me about something?

(Leonardo De Montreal gains a new quest 'Someone's In Trouble'!)

Rinley has to think for a bit to work out quite how to express her questions in terms that cats can understand.

The cats seem evasive at first, but she insists, and she's eventually redirected to the Fortitude 'Cat Elder', who's apparently the best one to explain the facts of the matter. His eyes are bright green, and his fur is red, with patches of grey. He bears the scars of many battles. They arrange a meeting in an alleyway.

**What you have described sounds like the work of the Fey, the dark spirits of nature. They toy with people in the way that we sometimes toy with mice. I say you've been the victim of a prank.**

**A prank?** asks Rinley.

**Yes. She caught your interest, and then vanished. If you want to resolve the matter, you should set up a trap. Otherwise, move on and hope she doesn't return.**

A prank? She wouldn't do that would she?

What should Rinley do?

A: Agree to try setting a trap for Sessily.
B: Try to come up with a way to invite Sessily to play (another?) trick on her.
C: Start trying to learn all she can about the Fey.

Miramie grits her teeth.

I have to know! I have to know!

After a sustained effort, she pulls herself into the light-

"AARK!" She springs back to life in her own bed. She pants for breath, feeling her blood surge wildly inside her.

(Miramie Mesmer resolves her Sickness, gaining 4 Bonus XP and regaining 1 MP!)
(Miramie Mesmer is now Suspicious and OK. Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Under Siege'!)

"Ah." says Natalia, still at her bedside. "You're awake. I am glad."

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Thaw Your Heart'!)

"Oww..." Despite pains in her limbs, Miramie feels a sense of relief comparable to that felt by one who has just thrown up. She manages to clamber out of bed. She halts in surprise when she sees a line of paper figures lying on her bedside table, wriggling. She looks closer, and realises that they've been pinned to a piece of cardboard.

"I did that." explains Natalia. "I found them hiding in your room. I suspect that they've been influencing the thought of people within these confines."

Miramie tenses up. They've been here all the time, haven't they? And I've been sleeping here. All right, this stops now.

(Miramie gains 5 Quest XP for 'The Hidden Room' for discovering a reason that it hurts her!)

Miramie picks up the dolls, and methodically tears them to pieces as Natalia nods with approval. She seems to feel a weight fall away from her.

(Miramie Mesmer spends 18 Bonus XP to complete 'The Hidden Room'!)

Z: Miramie becomes more resistant to trouble! (Miramie Mesmer gains the skill Cool 1)
Y: Miramie becomes more robust! (Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Normal Health Level)
X: Miramie gains a power to resist injuries! (Miramie Mesmer gains the Weathered power (one free use per chapter))
W: Miramie gains a power to infect other people with her own problems! (Miramie Mesmer gains the Curse Projection power (spend 1 MP))
V: Miramie gains a power to conceal her intentions! (Miramie Mesmer gains the Mislead power (one free use per chapter))

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

B > A
W > Z

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

B > A
W > X

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A
X

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A X
B XX
C

Z
Y
X X
W XX
V

Chuubo has, after some time, uncovered a book titled 'The Words of Lord Entropy'.

That's the school principal, isn't it? He looks at the front illustration. Doesn't look like the same person... The person depicted on the front of the book seems to be glaring out of the picture with overpowering malice and fury. His hair is white, but he has a nose. Some connection maybe?

He opens it up and flicks through the pages. There's mention of 'Excrucians' and 'The Not'. Ah, those are the Third Age names for Riders and the Outside! Oh, a speech?

'...we will not grasp for the stars, we will not seek new worlds, we will not consider hypothetical situations. We are all who we must be, and we will not attempt to be more. Every little hope, every shred of imagination lends strength to The Not. In days past we were ruled by genies who offered wishes. In this time, this is forbidden. Each wish that is made is an invitation to the Excrucians. You will not wish, for a wish is a demand that the world be other than it is...'

Chuubo freezes. He thinks about his house, the Wish-Granting Engine in his garden, and the Outside Dust that gathers there.

Oh, bother.

(Chuubo gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Foreshadowing'!)
(Chuubo gains 1 point of 'Something to Deal With'!)
(For gaining his first point of 'Something to Deal With', Chuubo regains 1 MP!)

"Okay, I've got a better idea. My main concern is seeing Sessily again, and from what you've just told me, she wants to play pranks. So, I'll give her an opportunity to get what she wants! I'll arrange matters so that she has a golden opportunity to play a trick on me!"

The cat elder looks at her skeptically.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Decisive Action'!)

For a moment, Miramie Mesmer feels perfectly content. The dryness in her mouth seems to have receded, the light isn't painful, and she has no headache or pains in her limbs. She smiles at Natalia and feels no sense of awkwardness.

But then she starts to feel a tiny suggestion of the curse starting to return.

And I even tried unmaking it and that didn't work! Isn't it part of the room? Shouldn't rejecting the room do the trick? Out, out!

(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Comfort'!)

She feels the curse bubbling inside her, as if it wants to escape-

"Oh!" says Natalia quickly. "Miramie, did you want to know where the 'cornerstone' was?"

"Yes- Why are you calling me Miramie? I thought you thought I was Melanie?"

"Ah, during the time period when you were walking with us to the shrine, you began mumbling about 'being Melanie and not Miramie', so I drew the conclusion that in your current state you identified as Miramie."

"Oh... Please tell me exactly what happened."

One careful explanation later, Miramie is sitting stunned.

"But- If the cornerstone is inside Chuubo, what does that imply?"

(Miramie Mesmer gains a new quest, 'Fascination'!)

"Can you please explain the problem to me? I may be able to help."

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Shared Action'!)
(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Bonus XP for sharing the moment!)

(As the chapter ends, all characters regain Will!)
(Chuubo regains 1 MP!)
(Jasper Irinka regains 1 MP!)
(Seizhi Schwan regains 1 MP!)
(Rinley Yatskaya regains 1 MP!)
(Natalia Koutolika regains 1 MP!)

Chapter 7
Scene 1

Has Jasper Irinka decided to switch back to her mortal form?

A: Yes. (Mortal Form, one free (only between chapters) use per book)
B: No.

Seizhi is looking up at the sun. It's falling from the sky, its light flickering. It's known that the Headmaster shot it down with his black bow, and killed Jade Irinka she who embodied it. But Seizhi sees a new sun being born, a few moments later.

Surely it took longer than that for it all to happen?

He looks down at the ground. Jade Irinka lies there dying. She turns to look at him, and her eyes are filling up with stars. She tries to speak.

And then he wakes up. He shakes his head and climbs out of bed. He can hear his parents moving around the house, talking to each other.

What should Seizhi do?

M: Return to New York, duty awaits!
N: Go check on Chuubo.
O: These nightmares need investigating, go see the present embodiment of the sun to see if she knows anything.

Entropy is tapping his fingers together in front of his face. He is staring into the fire in his study, watching the gradual destruction of the pile of logs, savouring their endings.

Which of them, which of them... Whom should receive the focus of my ire? This boy who only seems to appear in some of my records? That brat of a scientist? That girl with the flowers? Or do I tend to some of my other responsibilities?

What should Entropy do?

Z: Go track down Seizhi Schwan.
Y: Hound Leonardo De Montreal.
X: Hound Rinley Yatskaya.
W: Transplant something from the Evil World into Fortitude in order to demonstrate the principles of redemption.
V: Walk through Fortitude wiping spiritual taints from the buildings.

Updated and fixed up character sheets. In particular, I misunderstood the 'The Angel of Fortitude' quest initially, and I missed out some passive abilities.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A
O > M
Z > Y

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A
O > M
W > V

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A
O
X

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XXX
B

M
N
O XXX

Z X
Y
X X
W X
V

Applying secondary votes:

Z X
Y X
X X
W X
V X

Paralysed with indecision, Entropy sits and stares fixedly at the burning logs.

Does not the gardener attend his cares with a gentle hand? By what does he know that his presence is required? Why, by experience and observation. But how may one learn in such a manner without action? And as such, the concerns of today must inevitably become sacrifices for the sake of the cares of tomorrow, suffering under a foolish hand so that the hand may one day become a wise hand.

Jasper has had to spend some time folding up all the components of her body and compacting them into a mortal form. Her Misery-Eating Arm shrinks down to a more managable size, but it remains as a fairly large tentacle protruding from the size of her body. Fortunately, she's able to reshape her dress to accommodate it. Conversely, the extra tongue she's now got in her mouth doesn't cause any problems.

The Jotun of Fortitude are holding a traditional celebration, depicting an old conflict between Jade Irinka and the 'God of Nightmares'. Jasper sits on the grass, watches, and wonders at what ancient events might have inspired them. She keeps getting a nagging feeling that she should know already.

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'The Miracle'!)

"You wanted to see me?"

She turns to see Leonardo De Montreal suddenly standing by her.

"Oh yes." She stands up. "I-" She notices someone else approaching. "Oh, hello! Monty, this is Chuubo's friend, Seizhi."

Leonardo glares suspicously at Seizhi who slows his approach nervously. "A friend of Chuubo's? I'm not familiar with you."

A: Seizhi truthfully explains his origins.
B: Seizhi makes out that his existence has deliberately been kept a secret from Leonardo.
C: Seizhi refuses to explain anything.
D: Seizhi pretends that he's Chuubo's pen-pal.

Miramie Mesmer and Natalia Koutolika have been trying to understand what happened regarding the Headmaster, the Glass Dragon, and the cornerstone. With a wastepaper bin filled with rejected ideas, Miramie has finally decided that they just need to come up with a working theory and stick with it until further information becomes available.

What's the working theory?

F: The Headmaster wanted to have the Glass Dragon shatter and the cornerstone end up inside Jasper Irinka, thus ensuring that his daughter, born of both a goddess and one of the Outside, would hold the centre of the universe within herself.
G: The Headmaster wanted Melanie Malakh to successfully release the Glass Dragon on Town and gave her the cornerstone to facilitate her mission. The presence of his daughter was an unforeseen complication that led to the dragon's destruction.
H: Out of his mind on Outside Dust, the Headmaster gave Melanie Malakh the cornerstone while giggling, and then promptly forgot about it.
I: The Headmaster wanted to have the Glass Dragon shatter and the cornerstone end up inside Chuubo, which would then result in the creation of the Wish-Granting Engine.
J: Something else?

Rinley sits by the side of the river where she first met Sessily, wearing a blindfold, with a bucket of water, a bowl of spiders, and a custard pie sitting in front of her. "Goodness me, I can't see a thing! What awful things might happen to me!"

(Rinley Yatskays gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Groaning'!)

She hears footsteps approaching. Aha! "Oh, I wonder who that might be?" Quite suddenly, she finds herself being picked up and carried away. Huh, I didn't expect this. Hang on, isn't this person too big to be Sessily? Before she can do anything, someone touches her wrists and they're fixed in place as if they're bound. "Hey!" Someone touches her mouth as well and she suddenly can't open it.

After some distance, she's laid down gently on a damp floor, and the sound of footsteps recedes. After some desperate rolling around, she manages to get the blindfold off, and finds herself in a small chamber formed from black thorny vines. Beyond the confines, there's a thick forest in all directions. There's no sign of whoever brought her here.

She manages to twist her wrists into view and finds them bound by some type of dark mist. She can just make out something similar on the lower half of her face.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 5 Quest XP for 'The Straw-Haired Kid' for experiencing trouble starting!)

What should Rinley do?

M: Summon a wish spirit and send it to get help. (Wish Spirit, spend 1 MP)
N: Work out a way to get this stuff off her mouth and then start yelling for help. (Spend 4 Will)
O: Wait for someone to appear.

Chuubo is standing in his garden, staring at the Wish-Granting Engine thoughtfully.

Is it really this that's drawing down the dust? Can I use it to fight the Outside even if it is? If I'm supposed to be fighting the Outside can I keep it?

Is it even possible to fight the Outside at all?

What should Chuubo do?

Z: Dismantle the Wish-Granting Engine.
Y: Make a wish to free New York from the Outside. (Wishing, one use per chapter)
X: Wish for something else. (Wishing, one use per chapter)
W: Make a list of all the wishes he's made and try to assess their consequences.

I was going to update the Wishing Map with Entropy and Natalia's contributions, but then I realised that they don't really have established relationships with Chuubo yet. As previously stated, the stronger the connections between a wish and the items on the Wishing Map, the better the chances of it turning out as intended.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

D > C
F > G
N > O
W > Y

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D
H
N
Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C
D XX

M
N XX
O

See below concerning the other options.

"I'm, er, Chuubo's pen-pal. So I know him very well, but we haven't met before... Oh, except last week, I was explaining the whole situation with New York. You remember?"

(Seizhi Schwan gains 1 Quest XP for 'Hide The Evidence'!)

"...Oh yes. What are-"

"BLARK!" The two of them turn to see Jasper spitting out some type of small golden snake, which rapidly slithers away. "Oh... oh dear. Pardon me!" She turns bright red (the sun above seems to shine more brightly) and presses her hand to her mouth.

"I, er..." says Leonardo, baffled. "That's not normal is it?"

"Something I 'ate' I think."

"You eat snakes?" asks Seizhi. Is that usual for a goddess?

"Not exactly. But, Seizhi, did you want something?"

I guess she doesn't want to talk about it. "Oh yes. I've been having these, ah, nightmares about Jade Irinka. I think you've taken over her duties, so I thought you might be able to tell me what they mean?"

"Oh. Mother." Jasper looks a little melancholy (the sun dims). "I'm afraid I was very young when we were separated, but I'll help if I can."

"Well, what happens is that I see the sun falling. And after that, the new sun is born. And then, I see her lying on the ground, looking at me. I think she's asking for my help, but I don't know why she's asking me in particular, and I don't know what I can do. "

(Seizhi Schwan gains 1 Quest XP for 'Why Are You Here?'!)

"Oh... I've been thinking about her recently. I've been trying to learn more about myself, and- And- No, I'm sorry, I can't describe it." Jasper throws a look at Leonardo. "I really want to tell you too Monty, but it's just too difficult." She pauses. "It's like- No. That's not it either." She looks at her HUD for help, but to her frustration it's just filled with gibberish.

Leonardo frowns. "That's what you wanted to tell me?"

"No, that was something else. One of the things I did was to eat this thing I found inside someone. It helped me see more clearly, but I think that there's something stuck inside my innards now. I think it's some sort of Nightmare Seed, and I think it's sprouting."

"Ah. You wanted me to excise it?"

"No, no, I wanted you to study it! You see, I think it's similar to that thing inside you, so I thought looking at it might help you."

Seizhi looks baffled. "You're willing to let an alien organism grow inside you, just because it might help someone?"

"Well, to me, Monty's not just anyone."

"ANYWAY!" shouts Leonardo, frantically waving for silence. "Follow me back to my laboratory, where the solution awaits!"

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Quest XP for 'Someone's in Trouble'!)

"I don't believe it!" Leonardo strikes the oozing Inner Nightmare Analyser with a savage kick. "The perfect device for this, and it's already given out!"

'Given out' isn't quite the correct term. The materials are rotting away, and some of the delicate pieces have fallen out and broken on the floor.

A: Leonardo quickly repairs the Inner Nightmare Analyser with some help from Seizhi. (Leonardo spends 4 Will with Nightmare Science 2, Seizhi uses 'Is this my Destiny'?)
B: Leonardo gets Seizhi to talk about what he's seen and then pulls out some of his nightmares for examination. (The Stuff of Nightmares)
C: Leonardo makes his heart beat inside the Abhorrent Sun-Sustaining Superconductor, strengthing his connection to Jasper Irinka, helping him understand what she's trying to tell him. (The Wayward Heart, one free use per book)
D: Seizhi picks up one of Leonardo's scalpels and is immediately a qualified surgeon who can remove the Nightmare Seed from Jasper. (Is this my Destiny?)
E: Jasper induces the Sun to guide Leonardo to a way to proceed. (Sun Lights the Path, one free use per chapter)

Rinley eventually manages to catch the material on some thorny protusions, and discovers that it can gradually be worn away. With some desperate contortions, she's gradually able to get rid of it all and frees her mouth.

(Rinley Yatskya regains 1 Will for completing the task!)

"HEEEELP! HEEEEEEEEEEELLPP!"

After around twenty seconds of this, a figure emerges from the darkness and effortlessly opens up the enclosure with his hands, pulling the vines into a different alignment. He seems to be a young man with elaborate clothes and dark hair.

"Dear me, you are making a racket! I think I'll have to restrain you more carefully!"

M: Rinley grabs a couple of sticks, strikes them together to make a fire and brandishes a pair of flaming torches menacingly! (Work of Fable, spend 1 MP, spend 2 Will)
N: Rinley tricks this guy into thinking his shoelaces are undone, then runs for it. (There'a a Tree in the Way, spend 2 Will)
O: Rinley attempts to engage him in conversation.

I'm going to leave the F-J and Z-W options open, and count up votes again for them next time. Anyone who's already voted on them can still clarify their position by adding secondary votes.

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Backstory!

It's a crisp Russian morning. Natalia Koutolika is staring out of her bedroom window, resting her arms on the sill. She's just had breakfast, and she's wondering what she's going to do for the rest of the day. Downstairs, her parents are going through the household bills, checking all the numbers. There's a van driving down the street, its noise like the sound of a wave rolling out of the sea.

There's a thump from somewhere in the distance. Natalia briefly wonders what caused it.

There's a popping noise, and the sky breaks open, blue patches drifting away into a void of blackness. Natalia starts, but before she can do anything, the buildings start to sway, and are cast away from each other as the ground loses its structure. As the house shakes, Natalia hears shouts from below.

Looking up, Natalia can see a figure riding down from above, standing on a detached door like a surfboard, arms folded. It seems be a woman wearing a mask.

Scroll up for options.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

C > D
N > O

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
Okay, I'm just going to present new choices for Chuubo, Miramie and Natalia instead.

A
B
C X
D
E

M
N X
O

Leonardo De Montreal closes his eyes and spreads his hands. Back at his main lab in Horizon, inside the Abhorrent Sun-Sustaining Superconductor, his heart beats. He opens his eyes and looks at Jasper. Every motion she makes seems to tell him something, with more volume than mere words. She stares back at him, and is startled by a warm feeling inside her.

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 5 Quest XP for 'Someone's in Trouble' for having Jasper open up to him!)

Seizhi shifts from one foot to the other awkwardly.

(Jasper's Connection: Nightmare's Angel increases from 1 to 2!)

"Okay!" says Leonardo abruptly. "I know what to do." He strides over to the door. "You two follow me. We're going to the Bleak Academy. That's where answers shall be found." He hesistates. "You- you will follow, right?"

"Yes!" says Jasper, beaming. "Of course!"

"Yeah, okay." says Seizhi, a little confused.

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Quest XP for 'Relearning Friendship'!)
(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Bonus XP for a 'Decisive Action'!)

For a while there's been no noise except for the rustle of paper and scratching of lead. The two of them pass notes back and forth.

(Miramie Mesmer is now Innocent and OK. Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Art Shop and Garden'!)
(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Peaceful Moments'!)

"Mhm!" Miramie puts down her pencil. "It's no use, I can't decide!"

"Perhaps we do need more information after all." suggests Natalia. "Why don't we try and answer a different question?"

What's the next question that needs answering?

A: What happened to all the other pieces of the Glass Dragon?
B: Why did Melanie Malakh help Natalia Koutolika and her family?
C: How can the shard of glass inside Chuubo be removed?
D: What is the Bleak Academy up to?

"How are you going to do that when you can't even keep your shoelaces tied!"

The man glances down in confusion, and Rinley is past him in a moment.

"Ha, ha, silly fool! Oof!"

She's stopped by a vine reaching out to snag her arm. "Hey! HEY!" More vines close in from all directions, holding her tightly.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Being in Trouble'!)

Chuubo finally has to stop himself pacing. It's no use, I can't work out what to do. Who could have thought that having a machine that granted wishes could worry someone so much. I think I need to talk to someone else about this...

Who does Chuubo seek out for help?

Z: Leonardo De Montreal!
Y: Rinley Yatskaya!
X: Miramie Mesmer!
W: Seizhi Schwan!
V: Jasper Irinka!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

B > D
W > Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B X
C
D

Z
Y
X
W X
V

"All right-" says Miramie. "-we need to investigate why Melanie Malakh helped your family. That's somewhat at odds with what I've seen of her." She pauses as she hears noises outside the room.

"-confound it! I'm sure that there was a doorway around here somewhere!"

Natalia tilts her head. "I believe that is Leonardo De Montreal speaking."

Startled, Miramie walks over to the door and pushes it open. "What are you doing here?" she calls down the corrior. She can see Leonardo standing with Jasper Irinka and someone with red hair who she doesn't recognise. He's examining his surroundings with his eyes.

Leonardo doesn't turn, but Jasper does. She brightens. "Miramie! You've gotten better!"

Miramie can't help but feel embarassed. "Yes... I didn't cause too much trouble did I?"

"Oh, don't worry about that! We're going on a trip to the Bleak Academy. Want to come?"

Hmm...

Behind Miramie Natalia starts to step out of the Hidden Room, spots Jasper, and hurridly retreats back out of sight.

"Hi guys!"

Miramie spins around to see Chuubo coming up the stairs.

"Hey Seizhi! Hey Leonardo! Hey Jasper! Hey Miramie!"

Leonardo finally abandons his search and turns to glare at Chuubo. "How are you doing with my project?"

"...Not too well. I was going to come and ask Seizhi if he had any ideas."

"Oh, the pen-pal. Why not me?"

"Um, well-"

"Never mind, just come with us and make yourself useful."

Jasper claps her hands with delight. "Five people! What's the name for that, Monty?"

Leonardo looks puzzled. "Name?"

"Isn't there a name for a group of five people? A 'pentangle', or something like that?"

"...No? Maybe?"

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'A Mortal Life'!)

Miramie taps her lips. Well, perhaps I might find something new with more people to help look for clues. She casts a look back at Natalia. She closes her eyes for a moment, and then steps into view.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Wincing'!)

"Or even six people!" Jasper continues. "How did the business with Typhon pan out?"

"...I'm not too sure." replies Natalia quietly.

Seizhi looks around. Is this really okay? I'm pretty sure that the Bleak Academy's dangerous.

Chuubo grins. This is going to be fun!

(Chuubo gains 1 Quest XP for 'Precious Memories'!)

Chapter 7
Scene 2

Miramie locates the right door, and they're able to reach the Bleak Academy as planned. While Miramie and Leonardo are familiar with it, it's new to everyone else. The buildings are brooding, the gates are gothic and there's a air of transgressions and menace. And they haven't even walked onto the campus grounds yet.

Miramie addresses the others. "The last time I was here, I was able to conceal my appearance with magic, but what will the rest of-" She stops, suddenly noticing that Seizhi has somehow acquired a school uniform. "How did you get that?" But it's not just the uniform, he seems to have the right air of 'blasphemous genius' as well.

He shrugs. "Just a knack."

(Seizhi Schwan gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Thumbs-Up'!)

Miramie shakes her head in confusion. "Can you do that to the rest of us?"

"Ah, no, it's not that much of a knack."

"What is our objective?" says Natalia suddenly.

"We have to reach the House of the Sun." explains Leonardo. "It's a new building on campus."

"Why do we need to reach it?"

Leonardo hesitates, and looks at Jasper. She speaks up: "It's difficult to explain."

Natalia looks irritated. "Miramie, is this really the best course of action?"

"Mmm. Chuubo, what do you think?"

"Umm... Seizhi, what do you think?"

"Hm." Seizhi looks at everyone else, and then towards the academy. He thinks about his dream. "I think we should all stick together until such a time as we've all found what we need here. Now, how are we going to infiltrate the grounds?"

A: Natalia leads everyone through the buildings towards the House of the Sun employing advanced group stealth techniques. (The Prodigy)
B: Miramie unmakes their visibility and they sneak into the House of the Sun. (The World-Breaker's Hand, one free use per chapter)
C: Chuubo summons a dragon and they fly onto the roof of the House of the Sun, hoping that no-one will have time to intervene. (Summon Dragon, one free use per chapter)
D: They walk through the gates casually, with Seizhi ready to deflect any questions with his charm and wit. (Is This My Destiny?)

Entropy is still watching the logs burn when he hears a cat *meow* behind him. He twists his head round to look at it. Its eyes burn a bright green.

"Do you wish to tell me something?"

The cat continues to stare at him.

"How did you get in here? I presume someone left a window open?"

The silence drags on. And then the cat turns and leaves the room.

Z: Entropy follows the cat.
Y: Entropy calls one of his ogres and orders it to follow the cat.
X: Entropy calls one of his ogres and orders it to catch and eat the cat.
W: Entropy refuses to react to this, it seems suspicious.

Twiler fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 2, 2018

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A
W
I want Entropy to not interfere.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A
Z

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

D > A
Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XXX
B
C
D X

Z XXX
Y
X
W X

Directed by Natalia, the group rapidly moves from one carefully chosen position to another, using short bursts of speed. The various students milling around fail to notice them. As they journey in what Leonardo believes must be the right direction, they pass a parade of robots performing drills, graffiti depicting circles that are also squares, and lanterns sucking up the light from their surroundings.

The buildings loom around them. The signposts make no sense, indicating that the same location can be simultaneously reached by two mutually exclusive routes.

Jasper shakes her head. "I always wondered, do people set up the signposts first, or the buildings?"

(Jasper Irinka gains 1 Quest XP for 'A Mortal Life'!)

Chuubo scratches his head. "How does anyone manage to get to class on time?"

"Oh, it's not so bad when you get used to it." says Seizhi. "After all, the short-cuts aren't constrained by space and time."

Chuubo looks puzzled. "I was asking Leonardo... What's up with you?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

Jasper looks at him carefully. "Seizhi, you do know that you're not really a student here, right? You're just wearing the uniform as a disguise."

Seizhi looks puzzled, then shakes himself. "...Ah, yes, of course."

Miramie nudges Natalia gently, when whispers in her ear. "I have to say, I can't help but miss this place a little."

(Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Fascination'!)

Leonardo starts wringing his hands in faint agitation. His lips work silently.

The six of them reach the entrance to the House of the Sun, situated where Leonardo suspected it would be. It's built from blocks of black stone, with a massive dome shaped roof. Inside the gates, there's a group of people talking.

"All right." whispers Natalia to Leonardo. "What is our precise objective?"

"Why should I tell you my-" He quails as she glares at him. "-we need to reach the central chamber."

Jasper gives him a puzzled look. Monty seems out of sorts...

"All right. How can this best be achieved?"

A: Have Seizhi walk in wearing the uniform and see what's inside. (Is This My Destiny?)
B: Jasper shifts into Kaiju form and starts tearing the building open. (Kaiju Form, spend 8 Will)
C: Leonardo De Montreal supercharges his Vent of Villainy and divines the purpose of this building! (Supreme Invocation, one free use per book)
D: Miramie casts a spell to assume the appearance of a student and walks inside. (Spend 1 Will with Changeling 2)
E: Natalia just walks in claiming to be a new student who's looking around campus.
F: This isn't the right time for this, they should go and try and find out more about Melanie's history instead.

When it becomes apparent that the cat is going to take him quite a distance, Entropy picks it up, gets on his motorcycle and explains to it how to signal directions.

One ride later, he arrives at a dark forest near the district of Fortitude.

I don't think this has always been here. "Well, what now?"

The cat indicates the forest.

"Yes. What about it?"

"So, that's all you have for me?"

"You understand that you're walking home, yes? No more bike rides for you."

Z: Entropy starts to methodically search the forest. (A Map in your Head 2)
Y: Entropy calls up a set of forest rangers to explore the place. (Spend 4 Will with I Know Somebody 0)
X: Entropy calls up a set of ogres to tear the place apart. (Spend 2 Will with I Know Somebody 0)

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

C > A
Z > Y

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

yes

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C XX
D
E
F

Z XX
Y
X

Leonardo De Montreal releases the full power of his Vent of Villainy, sucking up disparate facts and putting them together into an elegant jigsaw. The picture grows clear in his mind. He raises his arms.

"I see it! By the means of my genius, all is known! A lesser intellect could never have achieved so much! Tremble at my magnificence! Fear he who knows all! Can such facts be fathomed by any but I?"

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Speechlessness'!)

Natalia's arm shoots out like a viper and she takes hold of Leonardo's collar. She shakes him gently.

"De Montreal, you need to tell us what you have discovered."

He blinks at her in confusion for a moment. He lowers his arms.

"Oh, of course. It's... Ah, it's a building to hold Jade Irinka. Jasper's mother."

"WHAT?" Jasper steps forwards Leonardo, gaping. "Mother's in there?"

Seizhi looks puzzled. "I thought she was de- Ah, no longer with us?"

"Hmm." says Chuubo. "I didn't know you had a mother Jasper!"

(Chuubo gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Face-Palming'!)

Hmm. thinks Miramie. A prisoner, or something else?

"Hey!" Quite suddenly, someone wearing an academy uniform is walking up to them from inside the building, scowling. "Who are you lot?"

"Ah!" says Seizhi hurriedly. "Nice day isn't it? I was just giving a tour of campus to two former students-" He indicates Leonardo and Miramie. "-and three more prospective students." He indicates Chuubo, Natalia and Jasper.

The newcomer frowns.

A: Chuubo tries to charm him into dropping the matter. (Spend 2 Will with Good Smile 2)
B: Chuubo tries really hard to charm him into dropping the matter. (Spend 4 Will with Good Smile 2)
C: Miramie unmakes his suspicions. (The World-Breaker's Hand, one free use per chapter)
D: Seizhi carries on insisting that this is all completely normal.

Entropy begins the search, carrying the cat. As he moves through the trees, he wonders how this place was constructed. He's fairly sure that it wasn't here before.

Some time later, he discovers a clearing. A young man sits cross-legged, leafing through a notebook. As Entropy suddenly emerges from the shadows in front of him, he jumps to his feet, startled.

Entropy clears his throat. "You seem have made something of your own in the vicinity of one of my gardens. You should know that I consider pleading ignorance to be a crime punishable by pointing and laughing, and that I am well-known for being unpredictable and vindictive."

Z: Entropy induces terror in him. (Spend 2 Will with Superior Magister 1)
Y: Entropy induces more terror in him. (Spend 4 Will with Superior Magister 1)
X: Entropy induces a lot of terror in him. (Spend 8 Will with Superior Magister 1)
W: Entropy decides to just try questioning him.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

C
X > Y > Z

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D
X

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C X
D X

Combining C and D.

Z
Y
X XX
W

Seizhi indicates Chuubo. "This one wants to create an icecream without limit!"

He indicates Natalia. "This one refuses to abide by the plausible limits of what a young lady can achieve!"

He indicates Jasper. "Um... She's got more limbs than usual!"

Putting him out of his misery, Miramie gestures at the scholar. He looks dazed for a moment, and then nods. "Yes, that all makes sense."

As he turns and starts to walk away, Natalia quickly indicates that everyone should retreat at a fast but unhurried pace.

Later, as they shelter in a blind spot, she speaks. "I am not convinced that it is wise to continue to pursue this avenue of inquiry."

"Huh?" says Chuubo.

"She means that we shouldn't keep trying to get into that building." explains Seizhi.

"Unacceptable!" barks Leonardo De Montreal. "We must succeed, especially now that we know what we're trying to accomplish!"

Natalia shakes her head. "Our own mission will be compromised by putting the campus on alert. The only acceptable course of action for us is to part ways." She puts her hand on Miramie's arm. "We will continue our investigation separately."

Miramie hesitates, then nods. "We can't get side-tracked by some crazy rescue mission."

Leonardo snorts. "I for one, will happily embrace any crazy rescue mission!"

Chuubo thinks. "Seizhi, Jasper, you're going to go rescue Jade as well, right?"

Jasper nods. "Definitely! I can't imagine how she ended up there!"

"Well, I'd better go with Miramie then. That way we'll have a proper three and three split."

Natalia starts to say something, looks at Miramie, and thinks better of it.

Leonardo scowls. "What are you investigating anyway?"

Miramie shakes her head. "I'll tell Chuubo, but not you." She signals to the other two and they start to walk away, Chuubo making apologetic faces.

"That little-"

"Hush, Monty! It'll be fine!"

What do Seizhi, Leonardo and Jasper do?

A: Retreat to Fortitude and devise a plan.
B: Jasper Irinka calls forth the the sun to guide Leonardo De Montreal to Jade Irinka. (Sun Lights the Path, one free use per chapter)
C: Jasper Irinka calls forth the the sun to guide and protect Leonardo De Montreal as he travels to meet Jade Irinka. (Sun Lights the Path [powered up], one free use per book)
D: Leonardo De Montreal starts to recite his equations against the Outside and walks into the House of the Sun, confident in his power. (Spend 2 Will with Enemy of the Outside 2)

Natalia isn't too interested in explaining her past to Chuubo, but Miramie gives him an outline. "And thus it seems that Melanie Malakh may have committed a good deed after all!"

"Hey Miramie, you seem in a good mood!"

"I should hope so, I've gotten better after being ill for weeks! Now, we'll probably need to go searching somewhere dangerous, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?"

What do Natalia, Miramie and Chuubo do?

M: They head to the Headmaster's office, resolved to face what they find there.
N: They go to question whichever teachers they can locate.
O: They go to search the College of Emptiness and Dream, where Melanie Malakh once studied.

Entropy II focuses and brings forth his ancient, inhuman aspect. He seems to loom taller in a beam of daylight falling through the trees, and all sound momentarily ceases. His victim turns white.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, look I'll give her back right away!"

(Entropy II regains 1 Will for completing the task!)

A vine-wrapped bundle emerges from the shadows. It unravels to reveal a dazed looking Rinley Yatskaya inside.

(Rinley Yatskaya gains 5 Quest XP for 'The Straw-Haired Kid' for being rescued!)

"Kidnapping? Do you know what I might do to someone guilty of that?"

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Shivers'!)

"I didn't have a choice, really! We need her to make our exodus from the Nightmare World! The Blasphemy continues to harry us!"

"The Nightmare World?" Entropy queries. "The Blasphemy?"

"It's a world housing the- Well, the nightmares of all people. We've been having hard times since the loss of our sovereign, and the emergence of a nameless horror like Blasphemy has proven to be too much for us to bear. We need to flee!"

"Ah. I take it that more like you are on the way?"

"Yes... Once the Nightmare Seed sprouts. And then we plan to travel away from here, into the world most similar to ours, the world of dragons! But we don't know the way. And yet, we see inside this one's mind-" He points at Rinley. "-signs of a map emerging. We think that she can solve our problem."

"Your name?"

"Ah, er, Simon Brambles."

Rinley struggles to her feet, pulling off the vines. I can't believe a teacher did something worthwhile!

(Rinley gains 1 Quest XP for 'The World is Changing!')

Z: Entropy offers to fight the Blasphemy.
Y: Entropy offers to help with the exodus.
X: Entropy hauls Simon Brambles off to the Evil World to await trial.
W: Entropy demands that Simon Brambles lead him to the possessor of this Nightmare Seed.

Twiler fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Oct 8, 2018

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

D
O
W>Z

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D
M
W

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A
B
C
D XXXX

M X
N
O XXX

Z
Y
X
W XXXX

"Watch and learn!" Leonardo starts to recite his equations. With her Outside Sensitive Retinas Jasper perceives the shape of the space around him buckle. Electrical discharges start to spark down from the sky, and winds start blowing in all directions.

Seizhi takes a step back. "Whatever happened to stealth?"

"Stealth is for the fearful!" replies Leonardo. The effect is now self-perpetuating. While Seizhi and Jasper are unaffected, the buildings of the Bleak Academy tremble in reaction to Leonardo's power!

Smirking, he breaks out of cover and begins to stride towards the House of the Sun. Students avert their eyes in confusion as he approaches-

-but two students emerge from the building, shielding their eyes with their arms. The one on the left is a boy with short, black, shiny hair. The one on the right is a girl with long blond hair. They both wear the Bleak Academy uniforms associated with graduates.

"Stand aside!" Leonardo shouts. "I will not be stopped!"

The boy lowers his arm to reveal piercing blue eyes-

-and Jasper sees a great force emerge from him. She saw something similar with her special eyes earlier, when Miramie used the World-Breaker Hand.

The force sweeps away the power of Leonardo's equations. He barely has time to register his surprise before it steals away his heat, freezing him solid.

"You may have your mortal trickery-" proclaims the student. "-but that is nothing to one who has completed a thesis and committed themselves to standing in judgement of mortal frailties!"

(Leonardo De Montreal gains 1 Bonus XP for 'Suffering Trauma'!)
(Leonardo De Montreal gains a point of Sickness!)
(Leonardo De Montreal loses one Tough Health Level!)
(Leonardo De Montreal gains the wound 'Affliction: Frozen: 1'!)

The student shakes his head. "Mortals huddle round stars for heat and light. Thus is their unworthiness demonstrated, by their inability to achieve independence!"

Jasper narrows her eyes. I'll give you heat and light! She starts to call down the sun's heat on Leonardo. It's not working! That's miraculous ice! Prosaic heat won't melt it!

A: Jasper rushes out and starts licking all the ice away from Leonardo with the Outside-Diminishing Tongue.
B: Jasper rushes out and starts to negotiate with the students with the help of her Conversation Tree HUD.
C: Jasper plunges the area into sudden darkness, giving Seizhi a distraction so that he can run out, grab Leonardo and flee. (Jasper spends 8 Will with Incarnation of the Sun 2, Seizhi spends 4 Will with Do Stuff 1)

Miramie leads the other two into the college. Compared to the other areas of the academy, this place is surprisingly quiet.

"Around here-" Miramie whispers. "-students generally prefer to keep to their rooms as much as possible. Each one of them has their own curse to struggle with. It's the natural result of trying to exist inside a quasi-real environment while holding their World-Breaker Hands. They'd be affected even more strongly were they to travel into Town."

"Where should we go?" asks Chuubo.

Natalia thinks for a moment. "Will Melanie's room still have her things inside?"

Miramie shakes her head. "No. But-" She stops and considers. "Her thesis will still be stored in the records." She leads them through the corridors. "How should we ask for it?"

M: Miramie asks for the thesis and unmakes any objections the record keeper might have. (The World-Breaker's Hand, spend 4 MP)
N: Miramie casts a spell to take on the appearance of Melanie Malakh and requests the thesis. (Spend 2 Will with Changeling 2)
O: Chuubo and Miramie engage the record keeper in conversation, and Natalia slips into the offices to search them. (Natalia uses 'The Prodigy')
P: Miramie asks the record keeper about the correct procedure for viewing a thesis.

(It's difficult for Miramie to use the World Breaker's Hand so soon after using it already.)

"Tell me more about this Nightmare Seed."

"Ah, we, ah, planted it inside the nightmares of a little boy in Fortitude. Eventually, it should grow into a gateway that we can use to leave the Nightmare World."

"Oh dear. You'd better hope he's not been harmed by what you've done." Entropy points at Simon. "Lead me to him!"

"But I don't know wher-"

"Try. And remember, this finger is loaded."

Rinley watches all this in fascination.

Z: Rinley decides to follow Entropy.
Y: Rinley decides to search the forest.
X: Rinley immediately gets into more trouble. (Frantic, regain 1 MP)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

A > C
N > O
Y > Z

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

dont be mean to me posted:

A > C
N > O
Y > Z

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

A > C
O > P
Y > Z

Twiler
Oct 23, 2010
A XXX
B
C

M
N XX
O X
P

Z
Y XXX
X

Jasper dashes out of cover and runs towards Leonardo's position. Please don't be hurt too badly!

The two graduates look at her in surprise. She stops next to Leonardo's frozen form and extends her second tongue. She rapidly swipes it over his outer surfaces. Is it working? She tries again, and the ice starts to retreat. Yes! Wait, no, it's just sinking inside! Jasper scrubs Leonardo all over. All signs of the frost vanish, and he drops into a crouch, shivering.

(Leonardo's wound changes to 'Affliction: Frozen Inside: 1'!)

Oh dear. But at least he can move. Jasper starts to help Leonardo to his feet. The girl gestures- And Jasper vanishes. Watching from his position, Seizhi shakes his head in puzzlement.

Jasper finds herself- Somewhere she can't describe. Leonardo is there as well.

"The lie has been subtracted!"

Jasper tries to look around, but any type of movement seems to be impossible.

"In truth, all places are as one place! This place! There is no distance, there are no directions!"

Jasper attempts to scry, looking through the sun's rays.

"Behold the-"

The 'one place' buckles, and then breaks into pieces.

Seizhi watches in disbelief as the dimensions of the area go wild. A tiny point expands into Jasper, hauling Leonardo De Montreal along with her. The House of the Sun retreats until it's miles away. Some of nearby buildings expand up into the sky, while others shrink down into squat bungalows. The number of directions somehow increases until their surroundings have bearings running through 0 degrees to 540 degrees.

Jasper looks around in disbelief. "But I hardly did anything!"

Seizhi switches on his Seizhi-Sense and makes a quick assessment of his surroundings. Things become more real... that way! "Jasper! Follow me!"

Miramie Mesmer mutters some words and makes a few hand passes. A mask appears over her face, and her eyes fill up with falling stars. In a matter of moments, she looks just like the iteration of Melanie Malakh that Chuubo encountered inside the Glass Labyrinth. Natalia takes a step back, gaping.

"Nice trick, isn't it?" says Miramie happily.

(Miramie Mesmer is now Suspicious and OK. Miramie Mesmer gains 1 Quest XP for 'Art Shop and Garden'!)

Natalia stares at her. "Truly, you are Malakh!"

Miramie frowns. "Oh, don't say that. I'm not really that fond of her." She turns and enters the records office, leaving Chuubo and Natalia alone.

There's a few moments of silence.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Peaceful Moments'!)

Natalia flaps her hand at one of Chuubo's drifting daydreams (depicting a dragon), and feels moved to speak. "As strange as Town may be, this place is stranger. I do not remember seeing these things prior to this trip."

"Oh no, they're mine."

"Yours?"

"Yes, they leak out of me. They're my dreams. At least, that's what I've been told."

Miramie reappears, waving a folder. "Got it!" She opens it up and rummages through the pages. "Looks interesting!"

(Miramie Mesmer regains 1 Will for completing the task!)
(Miramie Mesmer gains 5 Quest XP for 'Fascination' for expressing fascination with something dangerous!)

"Now-" She gestures, and her disguise evaporates. Natalia feels a twinge of sorrow.

(Natalia Koutolika gains 1 Quest XP for 'Thaw Your Heart'!)

Pushing Simon ahead of him, Entropy walks away, passing the cat to Rinley en-route Rinley recognises him as the elder from before.

**Hello!**

**Hello. You should be thankful you didn't get yourself into an even worse mess.**

**Oh, I see. You brought the principal?**

**Yes. I had to get a lift from the Prince of Cats.**

**Really?**

Rinley turns and walks off into the depths of the trees. **Tell me all about it.**

Chapter 7
Scene 3

With some 'encouragement' from Entropy, Simon manages to remember some more things about the boy, whose name turns out to be Keiichi Shichida. They eventually manage to find his home in Fortitude. It's a simple matter for Entropy to get into the house to talk to his mother.

"Yes, he was suffering from nightmares until recently, but we went to visit the Sun Goddess, and she was able to cure him."

"Ah? Did she remove something from him?"

"Why, yes. And then, she.. ate it."

Entropy slowly turns to Simon. "You've dragged the Child of the Sun into this business?"

(Entropy II gains 1 Bonus XP for invoking 'Shivers'!)

A: Entropy spends a couple of minutes transporting himself to Jasper's location, leaving Simon Brambles to his own devices. (Appear, one free use per chapter)
B: Entropy spends some time embedding Simon Brambles into a stone wall, then spends a couple of minutes transporting himself to Jasper's location. ('The World, Like Clay', spend 2 Will, then Appear, one free use per chapter)
C: Entropy goes looking for Jasper, dragging Simon along. (Spend 2 Will with Connection: The Child of the Sun: 1)
D: Entropy spends some time loudly explaining to Simon why it was a bad idea for him to be part of such an endeavour as this.

As Rinley walks through the trees, she notices a place here and a place there that seem familar. Still, this forest is somewhat foreboding...

She pauses. Three snakes are suddenly rearing up from the grass in front of her. She casts a glance to her left, and sees more snakes approaching. In the dim light, it's hard to see what types of snakes they are. Although she doesn't know much about snakes anyway.

Z: Rinley asserts that snakes do not act in such a fashion as this. (The World Doesn't Work Like That!, spend 2 MP)
Y: Rinley speaks into the hearts of the snakes, insisting that she means them no harm. (Heart-Speaker)
X: Rinley turns away and starts running. (Spend 2 Will)
W: Rinley remembers a story that explains the secret of this forest. (A Little More to Any Tale, spend 2 MP)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

C
W