Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I really wonder how Soros is simultaneously at the heart of every single thing. Like dang, does that guy sleep? Does he have like his own private Shark Tank-esq thing where people just pitch him various components of the gay agenda and he gives a thumbs up/down like some sort of ultra leftist emperor? Is it like speed dating?

I suppose maybe since he's old as gently caress he just manages things and bankrolls it. Kinda like setting up a franchise maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Hexyflexy posted:

That is making GBS threads amazing.

Soooo, are they using "Fake News" like Trump is, or are they warning about actual fake news? I can't loving tell

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Soooo, are they using "Fake News" like Trump is, or are they warning about actual fake news? I can't loving tell

Like how Trump is. Think of Sinclair being like the equivalent of local Fox News, just not branded as such. Sinclair news stations present general coverage of local events like normal, with sprinkled-in pro-Trump propaganda pieces mandated in the newscasts by the network overlords.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Vasudus posted:

I really wonder how Soros is simultaneously at the heart of every single thing. Like dang, does that guy sleep? Does he have like his own private Shark Tank-esq thing where people just pitch him various components of the gay agenda and he gives a thumbs up/down like some sort of ultra leftist emperor? Is it like speed dating?

I suppose maybe since he's old as gently caress he just manages things and bankrolls it. Kinda like setting up a franchise maybe.

Friend of mine used to always put off his sort of girlfriend by telling her he had to work and finally our other friend blurts out "does she think you work 100 hours a week or something?" I guess what I'm saying is that some people are stupid.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Vasudus posted:

Soros is Emmanuel Goldstein.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I haven’t truly felt like there could be a civil war until now. That’s not just being broadcast on rigtwing type news stations. I thought I saw CBS and other on there too.

I loving told everyone that the telecommunications act of 1996 was the root of this and that video is loving evidence.

poo poo is for real scary. Sorry about not it being a joke.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Soulex posted:

I haven’t truly felt like there could be a civil war until now. That’s not just being broadcast on rigtwing type news stations. I thought I saw CBS and other on there too.

I loving told everyone that the telecommunications act of 1996 was the root of this and that video is loving evidence.

poo poo is for real scary. Sorry about not it being a joke.

Dude I can't say I'm shocked that a bunch of broadcasters from the same broadcast group are using the same pre-written verbal diarrhea.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Considering the message and it reaching up to 40% of the population, I do.

Don’t forget, I was a propaganda machine for the loving military. I fully know what a bad message looks like.

This is one.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
i don't think it's any worse than anything else that was going on in the right-wing media prior to that video being released.

facebook reaches a lot more than 40% of the population of the US, and what was going on there was way more egregious in my opinion.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Recognized one of my local affiliates in there. Good poo poo.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Arrath posted:

Recognized one of my local affiliates in there. Good poo poo.

I didn't. By some miracle Minnesota has escaped the wrath of Sinclair Broadcasting, but goddamn they are some scummy bastards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinclair_Broadcast_Group#Political_views

quote:

Sinclair often mandates its stations to air specific reports, segments, and editorials, referred to as "must-runs". The practice has been criticized by some of Sinclair's stations' news staff due to the viewpoints they propagate; in 1996, after CEO David Smith was arrested in a prostitution sting, he ordered Sinclair's Baltimore station WBFF to produce reports on a local drug counseling program as part of his community service sentence. The order was criticized by WBFF reporter LuAnne Canipe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_D._Smith

quote:

In a speech to business executives in New York (on December 16, 2016), Jared Kushner said that Donald Trump’s campaign had struck a deal with Sinclair to provide extra access and coverage. Kushner said the agreement gave Sinclair Broadcasting stations special access to Trump during the campaign and in exchange, Sinclair would broadcast their Trump interviews across the country without commentary.

Sinclair Broadcasting has hired Boris Epshteyn as their chief political analyst. Mr. Epshteyn was previously a spokesperson for Donald Trump's campaign. All Sinclair stations are required to air Mr. Epshteyn's commentary nine times per week. He was born in Moscow, Soviet Union and emigrated to the United States as a child.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Is anyone in doubt anymore that Russia has successfully co-opted the GOP at this point? We're sort of lucky in a way, imagine if they'd managed to do this with a competent president.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

boop the snoot posted:

i don't think it's any worse than anything else that was going on in the right-wing media prior to that video being released.

facebook reaches a lot more than 40% of the population of the US, and what was going on there was way more egregious in my opinion.

The largest issue here is the local news is highly trusted by the public. These anchormen and journalists are involved in the community. People know them. They see them live their lives. It’s a massive erosion into a long-built relationship.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

The largest issue here is the local news is highly trusted by the public. These anchormen and journalists are involved in the community. People know them. They see them live their lives. It’s a massive erosion into a long-built relationship.

This, and it's hitting newstations on both sides of the spectrum.

This is why people have a "the worlds on fire but my house isn't so gently caress it" attitude. These messages being mandated.

It's not crazy yet, but this is a definitive warning sign, strictly because it ignores affiliation on political spectrum.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

holocaust bloopers posted:

Fair point

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

sharknado slashfic posted:

Is anyone in doubt anymore that Russia has successfully co-opted the GOP at this point? We're sort of lucky in a way, imagine if they'd managed to do this with a competent president.

Not Romney at least. I still think he would have been real bad but not like this.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

Not Romney at least. I still think he would have been real bad but not like this.

He's an evil rich fucker but he seemed sort of honest at least. We all laughed when he said Russia was our greatest threat :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I remember thinking him being a vulture capitalist was one of the worst things imaginable but somehow Trump is worse in every single way.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Life would be A-OK if Romney were president. The basic functions of governance would go on. I wouldn’t be concerned with State Dept staffing issues or know the name of the deputy AG.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/980529046542077953

Gonna quote my favorite parts of this article:

quote:

In the beginning, when it was obvious that a select few Parkland students could get away with saying anything during media appearances, I wondered, “where are their parents?” The answer has always been, “they’re standing right there, watching events unfold, and basking in the pseudo-celebrity of their children.”

Frankly, it’s gross.

I don’t expect the parents of these kids to chide them on national television. I would hope, however, that they relay the truth to them in private, point out how their growing, and quite bloated, sense of entitlement is unhealthy, and discuss how the problem isn’t weaponry, but internal and a matter of the heart. I would encourage them to chastize their teenagers for unfairly labeling individuals as blood-stained accomplices to a tragedy simply by believing in a long-established right.

While Ingraham should not have remarked on Hogg’s worries about college acceptance, Hogg should not have taken to social media and displayed his emotions there in the first place. His denial letters are not due to the fact that he is involved with a gun control movement. Those decisions were made months before that fateful day in mid-February. They are purely academic in nature. A parent who desires to teach their child a lesson through adversity would remind them of the truth behind the current circumstance.

Do you think you can name most of the dead victims from Parkland? How about 5 of them? Can you name any? Without looking them up, I can only name Alaina Petty, Meadow Pollack, and Peter Wang. The girls’ parents have been in the news, though in quieter ways, seeking to find sensible solutions to gun violence. On the pages of RedState we’ve discussed Peter Wang, the brave young man who held open the door so faculty and students could escape, and who lost his life as a result.

Bolded mine because to me it's the most laughable part of it, but the whole thing is cringe-worthy.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

boop the snoot posted:

Bolded mine because to me it's the most laughable part of it, but the whole thing is cringe-worthy.

These are the kind of articles that show up when all of the usual tricks stop working and they know they're getting beaten by a bunch of high schoolers.

Probably drives them nuts when all the insincere arguments that usually work fall flat like rocks because the kids have way more experience detecting that poo poo and being counter-assholes.

Or it could just be their usual rile-up-the-supporters schtick.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Collectively most of the nation is no longer capable of empathy. To me this is the biggest single problem for the USA now.

Like, sure you might not agree with the kids take on gun control, but it should be pretty simple to realize how someone who had their friends violently murdered might have a different point of view on the topic and feel that they should be able to voice their opinions, concern on that subject.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

That Works posted:

Collectively most of the nation is no longer capable of empathy. To me this is the biggest single problem for the USA now.

To paraphrase Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, when an individual, a community, a nation, or a planet unlocks the energies of love, it will be its greatest discovery since the making of fire.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That Works posted:

Like, sure you might not agree with the kids take on gun control, but it should be pretty simple to realize how someone who had their friends violently murdered might have a different point of view on the topic and feel that they should be able to voice their opinions, concern on that subject.

Imo that's the end result of neoliberal / cyberpunk / whatever it is we're living in social policy. Political and moral authorities just hammer home in every facet of life that the proper response to someone being in trouble / pain is welp sucks to be you. The most powerful country in the world can't be expected to provide welfare or healthcare, firms can't be expected to provide sick leave, billionaires can't be expected to pay taxes so how can a guy be expected to accept restrictions to his gun hobby so school kids maybe don't get shot at as much. Expecting anything but a gently caress you is entitlement.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
I HAVE ARISEN

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
"gently caress YOU GOT MINE"
"NEVER GOT MINE, gently caress GETTING YOU YOURS"
"BOOOOOTSTRAAAAPS"
"INABILITY TO TELL TRUTH FROM WHAT FEELS RIGHT"

:ssj: BY OUR POWERS COMBINED WE ERODE A SOCIETY

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

He is risen, indeed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

boop the snoot posted:

Hot take: I think defeating Fox News would be more beneficial to the world (or at the very least the US) than defeating terrorism.

Was FN always owned Murdoch or was it a later acquisition?

boop the snoot posted:

https://twitter.com/Stallone/status/980461360516513796

I don't care if David Hogg is older than Trump but had surgeries funded by George Soros, poo poo like this makes me a fan of his.

What's this then?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

FN was always owned by Murdoch. He started in Australia (and has had a similar effect on news in Oz) and started FN in '96.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Crakkerjakk posted:

FN was always owned by Murdoch. He started in Australia (and has had a similar effect on news in Oz) and started FN in '96.

More specifically Fox News gets its name from 20th Century Fox which begat the Fox TV channel. From Fox News has sprung Fox Business Channel.

But Rupe is confronting his mortality, and his sons are not as hands off as Rupert was. They’re far more hands on and have a different set of priorities, which why they’re selling the film unit to Disney or Comcast. I’m not sure how the sons will play things going forward, but they were linked to the ouster of Roger Ailes from FN among other things.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

quote:

1 dead as outbreak related to synthetic pot use hits 38 people in Illinois
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-synthetic-pot-outbreak-death-20180401-story.html

Someone died from fake weed because real weed is still illegal.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Someone died from fake weed because real weed is still illegal.

I met a couple from Austin who told me that they had smoked spice because the available weed was brown, impotent dirt weed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
quitting that poo poo was probably the single brightest decision ive ever made. Far as im concerned these people are victims of the drug war since they can't just smoke the real thing

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Last time I smoked spice was back when K2 was breaking news cycles about 9 years ago. Made me super anxious and sketchy feeling. It was awful. Of course, that particular chemical was banned and they're onto the billionth version now.

Just smoke a weed. Even if it's brown, just smoke more.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
If you live in a city as big as Austin and kind find real weed it's your fault

Edit: I smoked spice like 4 times. Each time I was impressed with the potency and the intense feeling that my lungs/veins/heart were all on the verge of vibrating out of my body. After realizing that effect wasnt going anywhere I dumped the rest

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thing is, spice poo poo has killed before. Granted, I think it was the kind of situations where overconfidence and drug use mixed too much and people have fallen off balconies or died doing something physically harmful. Similar to salvia related deaths.

Holy poo poo, it's been ages since I've thought about salvia.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Last time I smoked spice was back when K2 was breaking news cycles about 9 years ago. Made me super anxious and sketchy feeling. It was awful. Of course, that particular chemical was banned and they're onto the billionth version now.

Yeah IIRC "spice"/K2 can be a ton of different things, basically whatever crazy chemical they've come up that has an effect that hasn't been banned yet. So if you smoked some 5 years ago it's almost certainly not the same thing as what's available now, except that maybe they were both sprayed on some oregano or whatever.

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

China's response to US sanctions: They're putting sanctions on 128 imports from the U.S., including pork and fruit. As these tariffs are explicitly a countermeasure to the steel/aluminum tariffs (not the $50 billion from a couple weeks back), the trade war is both officially on and only getting started.

Meanwhile, White House officials "have routinely discounted the likelihood" of the Chinese simply buying stuff from places besides America.

Edit: VVVVV :rimshot:

Beepity Boop fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 2, 2018

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hremsfeld posted:

China's response to US sanctions: They're putting sanctions on 128 imports from the U.S., including pork and fruit. As these tariffs are explicitly a countermeasure to the steel/aluminum tariffs (not the $50 billion from a couple weeks back), the trade war is both officially on and only getting started.

Meanwhile, White House officials "have routinely discounted the likelihood" of the Chinese simply buying stuff from places besides America.

Government pork is gonna make a comeback!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Here is where this gets funny.

A good amount of pork farms in the US are chinese owned.
Chinese trust food with "made in america" more than anything that says "made in china"
Being chinese, they will probably ship it to a nearby area, buy it there, and ship it into china

So it is largely a 15% tarrif on a bunch of nuts, some metal products, then 25% on pork. It is mostly a non thing that is being done to save face.

And here I wanted chaos and destruction, not this weak crap.

• Locked thread