Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

we can't pay teachers more though because we have to spend almost a trillion on defense or else we will all literally die because of mexicans.

It's even stupider than that. Republican-controlled states have basically banned tax increases, so they have no way to raise revenue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Oh and the stock market is going tits up. Dow Jones is down 2.5%, S&P500 down 2.74%, NASDAQ down 3%.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

BigDave posted:

How many documenteries are there about Trump?

In other news, teachers in Oklahoma walked off the job and rallied at the capital to demand a $10,000 pay raise and $200 million increase in education funding. If they don't get it, Oklahoma will be the third state to have a statewide teachers strike, coming soon after West Virginia and Kentucky.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.4019585c35a2

If Oklahoma teachers get that 10k raise, they'll be even with Kentucky.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think the last 2-3 Oklahoma 'Teacher of the Year' award recipients have gotten the award and used the notoriety to land a job in another state the following year.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/homepagel...70c075c2db.html

That's the most recent one.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

BigDave posted:

Oh and the stock market is going tits up. Dow Jones is down 2.5%, S&P500 down 2.74%, NASDAQ down 3%.

My portfolio can't afford trump tweets any more.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

BigDave posted:

It's been doing this, and it gets worse every time the President opens his loving mouth. If you want a fun historical parallel, check out the SMoot-Hawley Tariff act, and the fiscial and trade outcomes it spurned.
Also trade wars in general have been REALLY loving bad, for everyone.
Last time something like this happened, global trade pulled a lemming and dove off a cliff.

Here's a recent NYT primer on the matter
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/business/tariff-trump-trade-wars.html

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Not gonna lie, I love it when the stock market drops

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Though it's hard to get excited if it's not the "may as well kill myself because I've spent my whole life in the meaningless pursuit of money to the detriment of literally everything else, and now its gone" levels of collapse

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mods change my name posted:

Not gonna lie, I love it when the stock market drops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k5aVLi_yhM

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

you know who usually does just fuckin fine when the market tanks?

financial people (in the aggregate)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

or else we will all literally die because of mexicans.

I could probably eat burritos to death so there might be something to this fear.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Though it's hard to get excited if it's not the "may as well kill myself because I've spent my whole life in the meaningless pursuit of money to the detriment of literally everything else, and now its gone" levels of collapse

Those types are just losing their bonuses, you got public school teachers and lifetime public servants getting their savings wiped out in a lot of these corrections because 90% of those cut-rate funds management firms are playing fast and loose with risk distribution and the like.

I mean, look at the head of one of the major Financial Protection watchdogs: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-02/mulvaney-gives-congress-advice-on-stripping-away-his-cfpb-powers

I'm not partisan, but the current GOP pretty much wants to kill us all through sheer buffoonery

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 2, 2018

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Well gently caress it all let's riot

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Need more Black Monday

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Oh no those poor stock holders

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The poor stock holders are everyone with a 401k FYI.

The actual rich people don't even notice when your parents have their retirement accounts wiped out.

Edit: dammit it was PCM I responded to

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Yeah, I mean it's not like the US has been dismantling pensions and other localized retirement schemes for decades and shifting all possible solutions over into a stock-market dependent vehicle that is fully exposed to every risk, correction, and collapse associated with securities and stock trading, or anything. Surely the impact of this poo poo will only effect the dudes in the oxford blue shirts and over-starched white collars. I mean, it's not like anybody wholly relies on their IRA, 401k, 403b, or whatever to wholly sustain them in their retirements.

Forget this edgelord LF nonsense about stock devaluation or market corrections hurting traders or broker-dealers. There are methods to make money no matter what, and those methods are HEAVILY exploited by the Financial class. Stock market dips like this hurt your blue collar, or corporate drone types way, way harder than anyone else. Mutual funds, or ETFs share risk, and they share volatility. If your holdings in EMLP get hit or whatever, so do the 600,000 other people that have it as a major indicator in their retirement savings. Diversification can only protect you so much if the whole market is adjusting.

Speaking of rich fucks: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/02/us/ethan-couch-affluenza-jail.html

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

psydude posted:

It's even stupider than that. Republican-controlled states have basically banned tax increases, so they have no way to raise revenue.

So did California, but only for property taxes, which may be even dumber somehow.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/david_j_roth/status/980834000129417216

https://twitter.com/Eclectablog/status/980904601250656257

Sounds like a good use of an senior officers time (not being sarcastic)

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I don't think some of you understand how the stock market and 401k funds work. Pretty much all lifecycle funds move their money into bonds and other fixed income assets as their constituents approach retirement age; people who are younger will be more exposed to risk, however that also means that there's more time for them to withstand the ebbs and flows. For people invested in index funds and direct stocks, yeah they're probably taking a bit of a beating, the same principles apply: invest for the long term instead of for next week. If you liquidate your positions every time the Cheeto farts on Twitter then you probably deserve to lose whatever money.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

I don't think some of you understand how the stock market and 401k funds work. Pretty much all lifecycle funds move their money into bonds and other fixed income assets as their constituents approach retirement age; people who are younger will be more exposed to risk, however that also means that there's more time for them to withstand the ebbs and flows. For people invested in index funds and direct stocks, yeah they're probably taking a bit of a beating, the same principles apply: invest for the long term instead of for next week. If you liquidate your positions every time the Cheeto farts on Twitter then you probably deserve to lose whatever money.

Yeah but the thing is that with most employer offered 401k plans, the investor isn't empowered to make decisions as quickly, or isn't being educated. I think it was 70% or greater of people using an employer plan hadn't adjusted their target date, or initial investment options. Most of which are set on raw stock aggregates.

These people shouldn't be coddled, but they also shouldn't have the risk exposure they do because they're being actively underinformed.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I should still meet my employer's match on a 401k right?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

boop the snoot posted:

I should still meet my employer's match on a 401k right?

Hell yes. Free money. I bump my 401k contribution up a percent or so every year.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Immanentized posted:

Yeah but the thing is that with most employer offered 401k plans, the investor isn't empowered to make decisions as quickly, or isn't being educated. I think it was 70% or greater of people using an employer plan hadn't adjusted their target date, or initial investment options. Most of which are set on raw stock aggregates.

These people shouldn't be coddled, but they also shouldn't have the risk exposure they do because they're being actively underinformed.

Okay, but again it's not as if money is coming directly out of their pockets. Unless they just dumped their entire life savings into their 401k yesterday and are trying to retire next week, they're probably up on the whole. Even people who had their 401ks take a hit during the recession are up over their pre recession values (and if they invested heavily in the depths of the recession then they're probably doing incredibly well).

The people primarily affected by this are day traders and people wealthy enough to have a 2% market movement cost them a lot of money. It also doesn't have any bearing on the long term pricing of individual stocks, since companies' individual performance will overrule any market dip or rally.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hell yes. Free money. I bump my 401k contribution up a percent or so every year.

I don't know much about 401ks other than the free money aspect. I don't know how tied 401ks are to the stock market volatility, which seems to be pretty Trumpy right now.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

I don't know much about 401ks other than the free money aspect. I don't know how tied 401ks are to the stock market volatility, which seems to be pretty Trumpy right now.

You weren't required to take a personal finance course as an accountant?

OK well a 401k is really just an account that is sheltered from taxation until you begin to withdrawal from it at retirement age. Within that account, you can invest in a variety of different mutual funds (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure 401k accounts are barred from directly investing in the stock market). Mutual funds diversify risk by spreading out the investors' money among different types of securities (stocks, bonds, futures, other funds, whatever). Most brokerages also offer something called a target retirement fund, which adjusts the allocation of money into different types of securities (and different types of companies) depending upon how much risk the investor can stand to take. If you're far from retirement, your chief goal is building up wealth, therefore you're willing to take on more risk by being more heavily invested in equity (stocks), which tend to gain more value over time, but which are also susceptible to stupid poo poo like Donald Trump.

As you move closer to retirement age, most of these lifecycle funds will begin to move your funds from direct equity (stocks) into less risky investments, such as other funds, securities (like mortgages and other secured loans), and bonds (the least risky of them all, but also the lowest payout).

Your goal in a 401k is to make sure not only that you're saving money, but that you're getting the maximum return on your investment. This means that you'll want to beat the rate of inflation, which means you're going to invest in investment vehicles that are slightly riskier than fixed income payments, but which tend to recover over time through different market cycles. A good fund manager will also determine when a stock has reached its potential maximum and then will begin to liquidate the position and then reinvest the capital gains (your profits) into other stocks or investments in order to grow your money.

Always contribute to your 401k, even if you don't have an employer match or even if you want to go above your employer match. My brother bought into the flawed line of thinking that dips in the stock market permanently wipe out money and didn't bother contributing to any retirement fund until he was 35, missing out on 13 years of potential tax free saving and investment.

Personal investments (non-401k investments) are another topic, but the same applies in terms of risk, whether you're buying and holding the stocks and mutual funds yourselves, or you're paying a brokerage/wealth manager to do it for you.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 2, 2018

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
In case people missed it, lowtax had bonitis surgery

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

Okay, but again it's not as if money is coming directly out of their pockets. Unless they just dumped their entire life savings into their 401k yesterday and are trying to retire next week, they're probably up on the whole. Even people who had their 401ks take a hit during the recession are up over their pre recession values (and if they invested heavily in the depths of the recession then they're probably doing incredibly well).

The people primarily affected by this are day traders and people wealthy enough to have a 2% market movement cost them a lot of money. It also doesn't have any bearing on the long term pricing of individual stocks, since companies' individual performance will overrule any market dip or rally

You're absolutely right, my concern is supplementary, more focused on the type who get flighty and do poo poo like earthly cash out, or who wholly divest and try their hands at landlording. I was definitely talking past you there.

Been working on my series licenses so I got caught up in the glib posting.

Oh yeah, and to your reply to Boop the Snoot new hotness is that some 401ks through Empower allow for active buying and limited trading or selling of actual stocks.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I get the points about tax advantages for saving for retirement now, but I think it's pretty optimistic to be thinking anyone around the average age of this forum is going to be retiring at all. People of retirement age *now* are getting turbo hosed. Decades more of capitalism doing it's thing doesn't leave a lot of optimism that it's going to be a likely outcome.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

psydude posted:

You weren't required to take a personal finance course as an accountant?

Nope. One of my biggest complaints about the education system in the US is the lack of focus on personal finance.

Thanks for all of the other info.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

If you want a bunch of in-depth posts on personal finance I highly recommend Jim Collins' Stock Series:

http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I still need to move my TSP into my current 401k

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
My retirement plan is robbing liquor stores. One way or the other I'll be happily retired.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

America: thought of Mexico and died.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

I still need to move my TSP into my current 401k

Check the fees on each. There's a good chance the TSP is cheaper.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Maintenance fees on funds tend to be fairly low. You're not going to notice the difference between .13% and .19%.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Crakkerjakk posted:

Check the fees on each. There's a good chance the TSP is cheaper.

Yea but I can get much more out of combing the two. It’s a small amount in the tsp

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Well that's certainly a thing.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Lol that will go over well, surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Maintenance fees on funds tend to be fairly low. You're not going to notice the difference between .13% and .19%.

401ks are pretty infamous for being loaded with high fee funds. Some companies will have low fee index funds as an option, but a lot of companies load up 2-3% fee options and don't make any effort to make it clear that's what you're signing up for.

• Locked thread