Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

McNally posted:

Well that's certainly a thing.

Uhhhh that kinda seems like it could be super illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You'd think a guy who is going to need all the friends in the judiciary that he can get would be more careful.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Part of the problem is that weed is still illegal there. Another part of the problem is drug testing. People who smoke spice are usually trying to beat a piss test at some point, or dodging randoms like I did in the army. There are plenty of countermeasures to beat drug tests, but randoms are impossible to predict (outside of the military).

I'm not sure what part of this is supposed to change my mind.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Imagine SCOTUS as that "I Love Lucy" episode and the Trump administration as the conveyer belt of chocolates.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea but why would I leave a few grand that can never be contributed to alone rather than rolling that over into a growing fund?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Laranzu posted:

The poor stock holders are everyone with a 401k FYI.

The actual rich people don't even notice when your parents have their retirement accounts wiped out.

Edit: dammit it was PCM I responded to

oh no the people that have hosed tens of millions over for their greed will have to endure watching their paper wealth fluctuate a bit before resuming their vacation. gently caress em. this poo poo isn't sustainable at all.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Third World Reggin posted:

In case people missed it, lowtax had bonitis surgery

A good thread.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853177

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Guys, can we all just cool it on Trump? It's not like he's calling Lou Dobbs and putting him on speakerphone during meetings in the Oval Office.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Its worse: Its completely legal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fB0GBwJ2QA

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea but why would I leave a few grand that can never be contributed to alone rather than rolling that over into a growing fund?

I mean, for a couple grand it probably doesn't really matter no matter what. Even for a larger amount, if it was between fees of .13 and .19 or something, also doesn't really matter, as pointed out. That said, if it was more money and it was the difference between no index funds in your 401k and all options with a fee around 3% vs a TSP fund (which tend to be REALLY low fee) then it makes sense to leave money where it's earning more returns even if you can't contribute any more to it.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Here's a PBS Frontline episode on how lovely some company 401ks can be:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/retirement-gamble/

And corresponding Jim Collins post breaking down one specific person's lovely 401k options, and tools to see how well your 401k compares:

http://jlcollinsnh.com/2013/06/28/stocks-part-viii-b-should-you-avoid-your-companys-401k/

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 3, 2018

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

McNally posted:

Well that's certainly a thing.

Your loving home screen

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Soulex posted:

Your loving home screen

is a goddamn national treasure :thurman:

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

oh no the people that have hosed tens of millions over for their greed will have to endure watching their paper wealth fluctuate a bit before resuming their vacation. gently caress em. this poo poo isn't sustainable at all.

Correct, not sustainable, incorrect, the people getting hurt are the ones loving over tens of millions.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Woodchip posted:

is a goddamn national treasure :thurman:

boy do I wish you had the private messaging option

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

"Barron keeps playing these crazy Swedish games, so smart, he's a bigly genius like his father, and he tells me, all you need to beat 'the EU' are some 'CBs' and that you guys can totally help me with that!"

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/980824220207927298

https://twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/980788668532252672

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

lmao at this. lmao at everything

Godholio posted:

I'm not sure what part of this is supposed to change my mind.

Not everyone has the luxury of working at a job where they can unwind with a j after work without fear of getting shitcanned you dolt

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 3, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Crakkerjakk posted:

401ks are pretty infamous for being loaded with high fee funds. Some companies will have low fee index funds as an option, but a lot of companies load up 2-3% fee options and don't make any effort to make it clear that's what you're signing up for.

Oh for sure, and this goes back to the financial education issue. It would be ideal if people would read a prospectus but they probably don't know it exists.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Oh for sure, and this goes back to the financial education issue. It would be ideal if people would read a prospectus but they probably don't know it exists.

Fair enough. I agree more education would be great. Beyond that though, I think a lot of times 401ks intentionally inflate the number of funds available in order to induce paralysis in the less informed specifically to funnel them into the default choices (which are often not great, and I am sure the majority of 401ks are getting kickbacks on.)

Also my girlfriend says to tell my other girlfriend that I'm out with friends and to shut the gently caress up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

For the last couple of years I've been actively pushing the business department at my school to implement a personal finance course as a requirement. I spent the first half of my 20s royally loving my finances because I had no idea what I was doing, and even a one day seminar in high school would've probably prevented that just by teaching me the basics. Instead I had to dig my way out of a mound of debt and accounts in collections.

I doubt anything will change though. They just redid the curriculum because of budget cuts and there's still nothing about personal finance.

Sending kids out into the world with sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt without an inkling of what their rear end or elbow is just seems irresponsible to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fortune is reporting Trump might be pissed about Amazon because they are directly impacting his net worth. This is my shocked face...

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
So in a "normal" democracy, if a billionaire with a bunch of businesses (for the sake of argument lets say successful businesses) gets elected to be president, and then divests his/her interests in his/her businesses, how does that impact their net worth?

Like if you are worth $10 billion, but let's say $9 billion of your net worth is directly tied to your businesses, shouldn't your net worth theoretically be reduced to $1 billion upon getting elected and divesting?

I'm not sure how that works.

I know Trump's net worth is based on his mood, but let's pretend the billionaire I'm talking about is relatively normal.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

CommieGIR posted:

Fortune is reporting Trump might be pissed about Amazon because they are directly impacting his net worth. This is my shocked face...

Because of what? Book sales?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Divesting implies selling any holdings that could result in potential conflicts at fair market value, not just dissolving the company. If $9 billion of your net worth is legitimately tied up in a company, that company can be sold and the proceeds invested into a broad portfolio managed in a blind trust.

Now if your company isn't actually worth anything and has piles of debt hanging over it, that gets trickier.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Divesting implies selling any holdings that could result in potential conflicts at fair market value, not just dissolving the company. If $9 billion of your net worth is legitimately tied up in a company, that company can be sold and the proceeds invested into a broad portfolio managed in a blind trust.

Now if your company isn't actually worth anything and has piles of debt hanging over it, that gets trickier.

Makes sense. What about a blind trust, which I guess was what Trump was originally supposed to do? Do you still retain the net worth that is tied up in that business?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Getting locked in to 401k plans with absurd fees because the HR dipshit needs his kickbacks is bad, but I can't get too worked up about it when the bigger problem is that probably 50+% of average people are uninformed enough to cash out their entire plan in a panic at the very bottom of a post crash market and THEN find out they owe 35% early withdraw penalties as if they hadn't just dicked themselves in the rear end enough.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Getting locked in to 401k plans with absurd fees because the HR dipshit needs his kickbacks is bad, but I can't get too worked up about it when the bigger problem is that probably 50+% of average people are uninformed enough to cash out their entire plan in a panic at the very bottom of a post crash market and THEN find out they owe 35% early withdraw penalties as if they hadn't just dicked themselves in the rear end enough.

True but in a crash, people could also be facing unemployment with a sudden need for cash hence the early withdrawal. Not saying this isnt also due to poor financial planning but it might not be that dumb

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

Makes sense. What about a blind trust, which I guess was what Trump was originally supposed to do? Do you still retain the net worth that is tied up in that business?

I think Trump originally proposed somethig like this but he never did it and rapidly moved on to promise something else. I don't remember the evolution of his divestiture plan though. Generally it's complete divestiture with proceeds going to a blind trust.

It all depends on the structure of the trust. There can be a mechanism to access that capital, it doesn't just dissappear for however many years. A blind trust would mean you just have no knowledge of where that money is invested.

Suicide Watch posted:

True but in a crash, people could also be facing unemployment with a sudden need for cash hence the early withdrawal. Not saying this isnt also due to poor financial planning but it might not be that dumb

Seconding this. In a crash or during a financial crisis, the people that are really hurt are going to be those that require short term cash flows, generally the poor. They will have to make adverse financial decisions simply to survive.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Apr 3, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

This came up on the onion scroll

Teen on birthright trip to Israel hadn’t expected to see so many dead Palestinians

In case anyone needed a weekly reminder of how hosed it all is

Dead Reckoning posted:

You'd think a guy who is going to need all the friends in the judiciary that he can get would be more careful.

Immigration courts fall under the department of justice and the executive branch. Non-citizens do not have to be promised an attorney, or even be of age while being forced to self-represent without their parents in the room.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not everyone has the luxury of working at a job where they can unwind with a j after work without fear of getting shitcanned you dolt

I don't either. gently caress off.

Idiots did dumb thing and died. :geno:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

So in a "normal" democracy, if a billionaire with a bunch of businesses (for the sake of argument lets say successful businesses) gets elected to be president, and then divests his/her interests in his/her businesses, how does that impact their net worth?

Like if you are worth $10 billion, but let's say $9 billion of your net worth is directly tied to your businesses, shouldn't your net worth theoretically be reduced to $1 billion upon getting elected and divesting?

I'm not sure how that works.

I know Trump's net worth is based on his mood, but let's pretend the billionaire I'm talking about is relatively normal.
what the gently caress? What exactly do you think they would do with that 9 billion? Sell their stock then light the cash on fire?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Terrifying Effigies posted:

"Barron keeps playing these crazy Swedish games, so smart, he's a bigly genius like his father, and he tells me, all you need to beat 'the EU' are some 'CBs' and that you guys can totally help me with that!"

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/980824220207927298

https://twitter.com/fahrenthold/status/980788668532252672

Wait, Barron Trump plays Paradox games? I don't know how I feel about that, EUIV and CK2 are great games :confused:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

holocaust bloopers posted:

Because of what? Book sales?

This is really good.

Godholio posted:

I don't either. gently caress off.

Idiots did dumb thing and died. :geno:

This isn't. gently caress you

Caufman
May 7, 2007

That Works posted:

Yeah, if you can't get decent weed in Austin and smoke dangerous poo poo instead you're just loving stupid and lazy not an unfortunate victim.

Yo, A Scanner Darkly, my brethren. The stupid and unresourceful are like children playing in the street, punished entirely too much for what they do. And even as every person inevitably suffers after making poor choices, we got people in power keeping this drug war going which (among other less-than-desirable consequences) victimizes the vulnerable population of dumb people with limited means and otherwise painful existences. I pity them and throw shade at those who benefit from the suffering of idiots.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Get yo goddamn babies out the street!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Torrannor posted:

Wait, Barron Trump plays Paradox games? I don't know how I feel about that, EUIV and CK2 are great games :confused:

Current Events Thread 2030: Junior Dies in Poaching Accident, Barron Inherits Freedom Throne

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/pwnallthethings/status/981019141787340800

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

what the gently caress? What exactly do you think they would do with that 9 billion? Sell their stock then light the cash on fire?

well no. obviously they just set the stock market on fire instead.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Get hosed Manafort.

• Locked thread