Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

I figure we should talk about India, as arguably Narendra Modi--not Trump--is the most significant far right force in the world today. For some reason he's even more teflon and immune to things mattering than the Don himself and widely expected to sweep next year's elections

He's most infamous for presiding over a pogrom of thousands of Muslims in Gujarat (where he was chief minister), in which 1,000-2,000 died while young girls and women were raped. This was the result of him blaming Pakistan for a fire which killed over 50 Hindus. A BJP politician reported that Modi gave him three days to do "whatever we could."

Known stalwart advocate of Muslims GWB even suspended Modi's U.S. visa for the riots https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/06/world/asia/modi-gujarat-riots-timeline.html#/%23time287_8543

Since his election as PM, cow protecting vigilante groups have lynched Muslims and Dalits with limited condemnation from Modi https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/attacks-on-muslims-since-mohammed-akhlaqs-lynching-a-timeline/articleshow/61778337.cms

Modi is currently trying to reform India's education system with the quiet help of a committee of scholars, led by R.N. Dikshit. According to the new curriculum, all Indians descend from the original inhabitants of India, who just so happened to be "Hindu." This is despite 1/5th of the populace (240m) not being Hindu https://www.reuters.com/investigates/special-report/india-modi-culture/

This in spite of Modi possibly not having a college degree, in what appears to be India's legitimate? version of the birther controversy https://www.firstpost.com/india/mod...ty-3200994.html

He has a bff relationship with Silicon Valley and has used google hangouts and other social media for campaigning. Zuck!

TRUMP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIioUpF3Btc

Discuss all things India here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metal Cat
Dec 25, 2017
The visa thing is super funny to me because I've learned of it back in 2014 when I was applying for my US tourist visa. That's one way to get around it, I guess.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Praise be to CPI(M)

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
dikshit

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
lmao

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

what's up with the naxalites

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

why are so many world leaders terrible

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

why not?

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
my indian hindu mother hates trump, but likes modi i think

in short, mothers are a land of contrasts.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Panzeh posted:

Praise be to CPI(M)
:hai:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5gTmpHFXI

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Modi is a poo poo head op.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

anyways india is a fascinating place op

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

lmao

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Show bobs

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

of all the terrible, stupid, counterproductive things Modi has done (and there are a lot of them), one of the worst ones was the demonetization scheme. all of the old 500- and 1000-rupee banknotes were replaced with new 500- and 2000-rupee notes, effective pretty much immediately after it was announced

it was ostensibly done to strike a blow to the informal economy, which was said to help fund terrorism within india (islamists, maoist rebels in the northeast, and the like). it didn't do that, but it did cause people to rush to banks, ruined the livelihoods of street vendors, slowed down the economy, and was responsible for the deaths of about 100 people via suicide, refused medical care, and the like

we should be thankful trump is a dipshit with no real ideals

lorn Wayne posted:

my indian hindu mother hates trump, but likes modi i think

in short, mothers are a land of contrasts.
indians in america are overwhelmingly democrats. maybe she still feels a connection to the old country but isn't around to see how much he sucks?

i know a woman from southern india who likes modi, while my first generation american friend despises him

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Apr 1, 2018

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

BJP constantly manipulates twitter hashtags to make Modi, the government, and its policies look good by making spambot-like tweets. their "IT cells" also bribe influential indian facebook pages to get with the program

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:

get that OUT of my face posted:

maybe she still feels a connection to the old country but isn't around to see how much he sucks?

i know a woman from southern india who likes modi

also well done on exactly describing my mother, down to point of origin

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

lorn Wayne posted:

also well done on exactly describing my mother, down to point of origin
kerala is cool because it's been ruled by the communists for decades

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

kerala is cool because it's been ruled by the communists for decades

It's more of a power sharing arrangement with the Indian National Congress where they trade off every 2 or 3 elections. The important thing is that they've locked out BJP.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
I am frkm southern india 🤔

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's more of a power sharing arrangement with the Indian National Congress where they trade off every 2 or 3 elections. The important thing is that they've locked out BJP.
is that gonna last? BJP seems to growing in popularity, presumably because they serve up a healthy dose of nationalism to wash down the bitter medicine of austerity

cargo cult posted:

I am frkm southern india 🤔
https://twitter.com/bigdildo/status/2386102987

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Kohli is a fraud and Ashwin can't do poo poo outside of the subcontinent, Bhuvi Kumar is a good bowler though

(wait, we're talking about Indian government and not their cricket team, damnit)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

is that gonna last? BJP seems to growing in popularity, presumably because they serve up a healthy dose of nationalism to wash down the bitter medicine of austerity

BJP has been doing demonstrations in Kerala and falsely accusing CPI members of being criminals, but I dunno if that translates to real support. in the 2016 elections they only got over a million votes while INC got 5 million and CPI got 3 million. that’s a well established left wing political machine.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

BJP has been doing demonstrations in Kerala and falsely accusing CPI members of being criminals
do they accuse people of being criminals a lot?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

do they accuse people of being criminals a lot?

they're masters of projection, yes

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
I was talking to one of my Indian friends on the weekend

he told me when his dad was younger his friend was driving him in rural India and the friend was drunk

the friend struck someone and killed him

the villagers came out and demanded money for not reporting it

the cops found out anyway and demanded a bribe

they ended up paying $40,000 to get out of it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

they're masters of projection, yes
i read in a different thread about the state of Bihar and how it's comparable to Alabama. first time i searched for it i found a story about a prominent BJP state minister being arrested for drunk driving even though he's a moral puritan in his political life. i just searched for it and it came up with a different party minister being arrested for inciting sectarian violence

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
God bjp sucks so much cock wtf. It owns how liberal indians in the us who love to rant abt trump will cop to liking modi without too much pushing

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

cargo cult posted:

God bjp sucks so much cock wtf. It owns how liberal indians in the us who love to rant abt trump will cop to liking modi without too much pushing
it's similar to how a not-insignificant number of american jews that are committed democrats will also support israel and its illiberal (to put it lightly) policies. distance is a real factor, and it doesn't matter that these two demographics are two of the bluest in america

i'd like to see a breakdown of indian-american support for modi among party lines and age, similar to how they do that with jews vis-a-vis israel. i'd bet the statistics are similar

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:38 on Apr 3, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Uncle Wemus posted:

Politics is set up to reward psychopathy

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

it's similar to how a not-insignificant number of american jews that are committed democrats will also support israel and its illiberal (to put it lightly) policies. distance is a real factor, and it doesn't matter that these two demographics are two of the bluest in america

i'd like to see a breakdown of indian-american support for modi among party lines and age, similar to how they do that with jews vis-a-vis israel. i'd bet the statistics are similar
Yea i think you nailed it

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
liberals have a massive blind spot for nationalism generally.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Luckily for me the Portuguese invaded my family's part of now-India and made 'em all Roman Catholics, which means that I have a built-in aversion to the BJP given they want me and my family dead.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jokes on them tho I want to die for other reasons

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

liberals have a massive blind spot for nationalism generally.
also the fact that it's non-white nationalism, and therefore short-circuits any criticism

turkish expats also like erdogan, so maybe it's a class thing, those well off enough to leave are supportive of any regime that gives their home country ~prestige~ on the world stage, regardless of domestic issues or exploitation, which they don't experience.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 11:00 on Apr 3, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

rudatron posted:

also the fact that it's non-white nationalism, and therefore short-circuits any criticism

it isn’t a non-white thing, it’s rooted in their own self identification. just look at how insane natsec libs get about the United States

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it isn’t a non-white thing, it’s rooted in their own self identification. just look at how insane natsec libs get about the United States

• Locked thread