Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Dik Hz posted:

Passed the PMP this afternoon.

Congrats! I’d pretty much say that your feedback mirrors mine. Irony now is that I’m seeing a lot of PM jobs that don’t even ask for a PMP cert even though they clearly should. Regardless, I still apply but just bump up what I think the salary should be a little bit to try and compensate 🤷🏾‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I'm an IT Engineer slowly finding myself heading towards PM world.

I report to a Head of IT and we got an IT Director maybe 18-24 months ago.

IT Director was a senior project manager for the wider business before coming to us - and because of that, he is "formalising" the way we work to follow the wider businesses PM processes, because that's how he has always done things.

Head of IT does not care for this much and finds it a chore. I think using the PM process is quite logical and it also means the IT Director takes an interest and signs things off so it's an effective way of getting things done.

So IT Director says to me can I be PM bitch on behalf of HoIT (because he doesnt do what he is supposed to)

At first I thought this was going to be a fairly admin kinda task, but never the less a way to get my foot in the door...
I'm going to be blunt about HoIT to make a point, he basically rides the wave of me and my 4 counter parts doing the work and sitting pretty saying "yeah I'm sure that's being done" and lucky for him, it usually is.

The good news for us both is I can carve a niche for myself by talking to my colleagues and doing all the PM work. Its thin ice because I am not my colleagues boss and I have to tell our boss if stuff needs attention, but I'm fine balancing that sort of stuff. I can report in to HoIT and Director and say "look at all this stuff" and we all have clear assurance of what good and bad in our little world.

Ultimately my aim is to move into the wider business as a PM, so given that I also have to report all this stuff to the program manager who would be the hiring manager, hopefully I can impres enough to get a move

Its noted that experience is needed for a PMP cert so I think I'll read up there and make sure my current work applies, I think it should.

No questions at the moment - I just like to post in threads like this as a sort of journal so I can look in 3 months time and go I've progressed from A to B (or not) and reflect, I find that helpful.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

angry armadillo posted:

Its thin ice because I am not my colleagues boss and I have to tell our boss if stuff needs attention,

Ultimately my aim is to move into the wider business as a PM,

This is how most people get in to PM roles in my limited experience. You tend to get the responsibility without the title first.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

CarForumPoster posted:

This is how most people get in to PM roles in my limited experience. You tend to get the responsibility without the title first.
This has been my experience.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I got my existing role in the same way - I was an engineer at one site, we won a contract to run another site, I volunteered to mobilize the contract, didn't ask for temporary pay uplift or anything formal, just happy for the opportunity to prove myself at a higher level and now I am the manager so I got something out of it by doing it that way - loads of people said 'you should be getting paid more for running a mobilisation' but I think the proof is in the pudding and I'm ok with that.

I have just received an email from our Programme Director complimenting my Project Charter - it's the first one I've done total on my own so I am very chuffed to receive his compliments... step one of the plan is working :)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm a PM, with a small team, without the title (yet). I'm cleared to have said title in my email signature etc but it's not updated in our HR systems etc yet. This admittedly is more to do with general neglect of IT titles and such over the last few years by a previous management team, and to be frank, I'd have liked the new one to have somehow sorted this out faster, but I'm glad it's happening at all. I've also not had the salary bump but I have had support for training and conference attendance (oh wait...)

Anyway, I actually got to write my own job description, which worked well as I have a mixed Technical and PM role (although I try to keep the two seperate). That was pretty valuable.

However, it should be noted that over most of the period this was carried out, I've grown in PM experience.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

I am 1.5 classes away from getting my Master's degree (paid through my company). Did I just waste my time?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Knight2m posted:

I am 1.5 classes away from getting my Master's degree (paid through my company). Did I just waste my time?

What’s the degree in?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Knight2m posted:

Paid for by your company? No you did not waste your time.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

CarForumPoster posted:

What’s the degree in?

PM. I haven't done much of it professionally in my job history, but I just stared a new role as an ops manager with a staff, and my director has plans to implement some process improvements, so I'm hoping to flex this new muscle a bit. Prior to this position (which I've had for all of one week) I had hopes of just working projects, with the direct reports, but my team is pretty small.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Dik Hz posted:

This has been my experience.

same as well

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Hey BFC goons, I'm currently a project manager for an MSP (Information Technology outsourcing company basically) and I'm about to start searching for a new job.

The question I'm trying to answer is, is project management even the field I want to be in, or should I look at other career paths.

The reason I'm not sure is because my current position's responsibilities have changed drastically from what they were when I was hired.

Originally my tasks were to manage the administrative overhead associated with our projects. This was stuff such as doing all the opening data entry in our PM software, scheduling meetings to get projects started, or cadence calls as they were ongoing, monitoring the budget and schedule throughout, running our daily scrum meetings and then any paperwork and administrative tasks as the project closed.

That is a very big-picture overview of the job responsibilities initially. I also worked alongside a team lead, who had a thorough understanding of the actual technical work being done, did the project scoping and estimating, and also managed the employees on the team. I would help develop and monitor team KPI's, but when it came time to manage the team members, 1 on 1s, etc, that fell to the team lead.

Then that team lead left, and all of the team personnel management tasks have fallen to me, and I am not happy with that work. I'm a numbers and data person, but I'm not a disciplinarian, nor am I a particularly great motivator. I'm happy to track metrics to show everyone how much work needs doing, and what our deadlines are, but I don't like having to coach the individuals, do 1 on 1s, hire/fire, or other tasks associated with personnel management.

So my question is, if I like the administrative work, data analytics, and meeting scheduling/coordination parts of my role as a project manager, but do not have the desire to be a leader of employees, is project management the right field for me?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Korwen posted:

So my question is, if I like the administrative work, data analytics, and meeting scheduling/coordination parts of my role as a project manager, but do not have the desire to be a leader of employees, is project management the right field for me?
Yes. Project management is not a leadership role. And if you like all the communication and administration that comes along with making a project successful without wanting a leadership role, project management is absolutely for you.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You sound just like a PM to me.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Korwen posted:

Hey BFC goons, I'm currently a project manager for an MSP (Information Technology outsourcing company basically) and I'm about to start searching for a new job.

The question I'm trying to answer is, is project management even the field I want to be in, or should I look at other career paths.

The reason I'm not sure is because my current position's responsibilities have changed drastically from what they were when I was hired.

Originally my tasks were to manage the administrative overhead associated with our projects. This was stuff such as doing all the opening data entry in our PM software, scheduling meetings to get projects started, or cadence calls as they were ongoing, monitoring the budget and schedule throughout, running our daily scrum meetings and then any paperwork and administrative tasks as the project closed.

That is a very big-picture overview of the job responsibilities initially. I also worked alongside a team lead, who had a thorough understanding of the actual technical work being done, did the project scoping and estimating, and also managed the employees on the team. I would help develop and monitor team KPI's, but when it came time to manage the team members, 1 on 1s, etc, that fell to the team lead.

Then that team lead left, and all of the team personnel management tasks have fallen to me, and I am not happy with that work. I'm a numbers and data person, but I'm not a disciplinarian, nor am I a particularly great motivator. I'm happy to track metrics to show everyone how much work needs doing, and what our deadlines are, but I don't like having to coach the individuals, do 1 on 1s, hire/fire, or other tasks associated with personnel management.

Just make sure that you get a good sense in your interviews of what the companies themselves believe their project managers are supposed to be. Best possible situation is always gonna be to find a company that agrees with your definition, regardless of what you feel that definition is.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

What you describe my company calls "Project Engineers," while the leader/face/ultimately responsible party of the program is the "Project Manager". Like the above though, the titles vary between companies so make sure you are upfront about what you want. Our Project Engineers are employees with no reports, while the Project Managers are management and have direct reports, either their Project Engineers or other mangers of smaller projects if they run an umbrella.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 26, 2020

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Pryce posted:

Just make sure that you get a good sense in your interviews of what the companies themselves believe their project managers are supposed to be. Best possible situation is always gonna be to find a company that agrees with your definition, regardless of what you feel that definition is.

I think this is an important distinction to make. My last 2 places I were closer to this/what Xenoborg described.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
A question about the PMP application process. My supervisors and managers at work are a mixed bag. Often we'll work under a different supervisor, rather than our direct manager, for some time. Other times, we'll be left to our own initiative and just report back to stakeholders and keep our direct manager informed, sometimes we'll do that but with a supervisor.

Now, when it comes to filling in the application and defending it should it ever be audited, I'm getting mixed answers from the PMI on who I can use for that:
* The PMP Handbook (most practical guide to the application process) says " your supervisor(s) or manager(s) from the project(s) recorded in the experience verification section of the application".
* However, an audit requirements page says "A manager, supervisor, or colleague who has firsthand knowledge of the experience on your application isrequired to review and then complete the Project Management Experience Audit Report."

The latter is easier to obtain because I still work with people I've had on projects, whereas managers in the last few years get shuffled around.

My question is how much I should be ready for in case an audit does come, and if so, are there any tips for whom I should pre-ask to be a reference if needed.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rooted Vegetable posted:

A question about the PMP application process. My supervisors and managers at work are a mixed bag. Often we'll work under a different supervisor, rather than our direct manager, for some time. Other times, we'll be left to our own initiative and just report back to stakeholders and keep our direct manager informed, sometimes we'll do that but with a supervisor.

Now, when it comes to filling in the application and defending it should it ever be audited, I'm getting mixed answers from the PMI on who I can use for that:
* The PMP Handbook (most practical guide to the application process) says " your supervisor(s) or manager(s) from the project(s) recorded in the experience verification section of the application".
* However, an audit requirements page says "A manager, supervisor, or colleague who has firsthand knowledge of the experience on your application isrequired to review and then complete the Project Management Experience Audit Report."

The latter is easier to obtain because I still work with people I've had on projects, whereas managers in the last few years get shuffled around.

My question is how much I should be ready for in case an audit does come, and if so, are there any tips for whom I should pre-ask to be a reference if needed.
They leave it vague on purpose, but the test prep instructor for the course I took told the class that you really shouldn't worry about it. They'll work with you to help you get them what they need.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Ok perfect.

Further question: my work tends to have multiple smaller projects taking place over many months due to availability of people. It can artificially lengthen a short project to a year even though the active time was a few months. I also have plenty of overlap, but is this a problem?

Furthermore, I was two-hatting for a while (Technical resource and PM). Also not a big deal?

I've got projects going back to 2017 on my history.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Ok perfect.

Further question: my work tends to have multiple smaller projects taking place over many months due to availability of people. It can artificially lengthen a short project to a year even though the active time was a few months. I also have plenty of overlap, but is this a problem?

Furthermore, I was two-hatting for a while (Technical resource and PM). Also not a big deal?

They just want your money. As long as some one will vouch for you don't really give it much thought.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Ok perfect.

Nope. All of these issues are exceedingly common. If you worked on projects for 10 hours a week over 3 years, put that on the worksheet as ~1500 hours of experience. If you worked on multiple projects concurrently, they go as separate projects on the worksheet.

spwrozek knows what's up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Why are 95% of PMs just warm bodies that make my life miserable?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

spwrozek posted:

Why are 95% of PMs just warm bodies that make my life miserable?

In my experience good PM'ing is an art not a science. The industry and certs treat it as a very complicated if/then statement and it really isn't. Most PMs aren't actually good at the art of it.

The other big thing is in a lot of places the PMs are so hamstrung by processes/procedure and poo poo management above them they can't do the things they want to/know are the better option.

A good PM exists to make your job easier and clear obstacles out of your way as well as interface with everybody outside the main project team with your interests in mind. That only works with competent resources, however, and a few bad apples that require a lot of PM handholding and micromanagement tend to turn a PM into just that and make everyone's life miserable.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

D-Pad posted:

In my experience good PM'ing is an art not a science. The industry and certs treat it as a very complicated if/then statement and it really isn't. Most PMs aren't actually good at the art of it.

The other big thing is in a lot of places the PMs are so hamstrung by processes/procedure and poo poo management above them they can't do the things they want to/know are the better option.

A good PM exists to make your job easier and clear obstacles out of your way as well as interface with everybody outside the main project team with your interests in mind. That only works with competent resources, however, and a few bad apples that require a lot of PM handholding and micromanagement tend to turn a PM into just that and make everyone's life miserable.

Oh I know all that. I am mostly just bitching. It is always engineering management (me) resolving all the issues our PMs love to make.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Any PM's with an opinion on the new google proffesional certificate? https://www.coursera.org/profession...zRoCdLcQAvD_BwE

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Firstly, PMP application is accepted and I just need to schedule the exam.

I'm studying my PMP Preparation Course Book now. Kind of a lot to take in... As is the PMBOK... As are my extensive notes. Kind of seems like PMTraining.com (who I'm doing practice exams with) would like you to know the Agile Practice Guide too.

In terms of remembering all of this during the stress of job, kid and covid, any hints?

Adjacent question, did anyone use Anki for making flashcards and if so, any quick guides on making effective cards?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Rooted Vegetable posted:

Firstly, PMP application is accepted and I just need to schedule the exam.

I'm studying my PMP Preparation Course Book now. Kind of a lot to take in... As is the PMBOK... As are my extensive notes. Kind of seems like PMTraining.com (who I'm doing practice exams with) would like you to know the Agile Practice Guide too.

In terms of remembering all of this during the stress of job, kid and covid, any hints?

Adjacent question, did anyone use Anki for making flashcards and if so, any quick guides on making effective cards?

The best advice for the test is the correct answer is not what any sane reasonable person would actually do, the correct answer is what the PMBOK says to do.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

D-Pad posted:

The best advice for the test is the correct answer is not what any sane reasonable person would actually do, the correct answer is what the PMBOK says to do.

Sound advice that is consistent with my instructor. However, cramming all those answers into my head is the issue... Especially when I've got to do the sane answers day to day

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The test format has changed recently, so previous experience might not translate.

Dik Hz posted:

Passed the PMP this afternoon. My test prep course simultaneously gave me the tools necessary to pass the exam and completely failed to prepare me for what the test would actually be like. My advice for test takers would be to scrutinize every question for which phase you're in, identify which process is appropriate, assume you have more power than God, assume you have no decision-making authority whatsoever, and pick the most proactive answer that aligns with the process you've identified.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Fromy experience with the current practice questions, that's still valid.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I recently got a promotion into a kind of engineering management position. I'm taking some things off of my boss's plate but I want to do them differently. I don't have the software on hand to do what I want, though.

Basically one of my roles is going to be managing the workload of a couple of guys.

I want a program that can just track a block of work and an estimated completion date. If I have a block of work (say, 40 hours of work) and two guys that will be putting 30 hours a week into it, I want to be able to have a start date on this and an estimated completion date. Critical to this is being able to move stuff around, in front of other blocks of work, marking stuff as complete sooner than anticipated (or that it's taking longer) and knowing how that affects not only that project but anything behind it.

There has to be something out there. I'm not familiar with Microsoft Planner but I think I have access to it, but if there's something free-r and better I'm all ears. I can do it in excel if I have to.

Right now my boss just pulls estimated completion dates out of his rear end (and refuses to believe that estimating engineering hours is possible) but I think it's not only possible but easy for what we do.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

You want scheduling software so Microsoft Project or Primavera 6. Those both may be too costly and overpowered for what you are looking to do. You can set to-do tasks in Teams but a bit harder to move those around or resource load them with people and hours.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

You want MS Project and you can get a key for it for like $20 through a goon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368&perpage=40&noseen=1

I grabbed it along with Office and Win 10 when so built my recent PC.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

LawfulWaffle posted:

You want MS Project and you can get a key for it for like $20 through a goon: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368&perpage=40&noseen=1

I grabbed it along with Office and Win 10 when so built my recent PC.

It looks like I have Microsoft Project (through 365) but I don't have a license to do the roadmap portion. Is what I'm looking to do achievable through Project alone or would I need to get the roadmap portion of it?

edit: nevermind, I don't have a license to create a project either. Gonna see if I can get one.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 18, 2021

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Project would be a good fit for that.

Planner (a seperate product) might be but I'm not sure it'll do the shuffling and percentage completeness you're looking for. It's more for pull based scheduling when I last used it.

Giganticon
Mar 10, 2010

Pillbug
My company uses float.com. I like it quite a bit and they add features often.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Taking the PMP exam tomorrow yayay currently not sleeping because I keep recreating fuggin page 25 in my head. You know the one.
Edit: WHAT A GREAT NIGHT FOR MY DAUGHTER TO NOT SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TEN MONTHS

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jun 1, 2021

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

SgtScruffy posted:

Taking the PMP exam tomorrow yayay currently not sleeping because I keep recreating fuggin page 25 in my head. You know the one.
Edit: WHAT A GREAT NIGHT FOR MY DAUGHTER TO NOT SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TEN MONTHS

Good luck! Report back when you recover from your post-test bender. That fucker is draining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Dik Hz posted:

Good luck! Report back when you recover from your post-test bender. That fucker is draining.

PASSED!!! Jesus, draining is absolutely correct. My coworker took it right before me and we're about to go get DOUBLE CELEBRATION BEERS