Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Champion for March, 2018?
This poll is closed.
:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) 28 29.47%
:haw: Chuck Taylor (FORMER PWG Champion) 17 17.89%
:worship: Keith Lee (PWG Champion) 13 13.68%
:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Champion) 6 6.32%
:corsair: Masaaki Mochizuki (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 1 1.05%
:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) 8 8.42%
:troll: Charlotte (Smackdown Women's Champion) 0 0%
:killdozer: Joe Doering (FORMER Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 0 0%
:love: Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) 7 7.37%
Dalton Castle (ROH World Champion) 1 1.05%
:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (Impact Global Champion) 0 0%
Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) 4 4.21%
:siren: I'm Still Not Happy (None of the Above) 10 10.53%
Total: 95 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Kazuchika Okada's winning ways continued through February, and this time the poll result was all his. It seems many of the None of the Above voters were sated by the return of Alexa Bliss, Charlotte and Masaaki Mochizuki. That said, None of the Above still managed to rank in 2nd place, though this time with less than half the votes of Okada. Will March be any different? Okada/ZSJ was set up all through March but the match doesn't happen till the 1st of April, so will the build be enough or will somebody else win?

Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc (such as PWG/Lucha Underground) those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. NXT is still at this current time a Development Brand only, and neither of its top Champions are included on the monthly poll for that reason. The monthly "None of the Above" option is a valid potential "winner" as shown as recently as last month, so feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you might in this thread.

:homebrew: Kazuchika Okada (IWGP Heavyweight Champion) - Okada had no title defenses this month, but the entire month was devoted to setting up his upcoming match against Zack Sabre Jr. As ZSJ made his way through the New Japan Cup submitting top star after top star, Okada worked through multi-man matches where he invariably one with the Cobra Clutch he has been attempting to get over as his new Submission Finisher. With ZSJ's victory at the New Japan Cup Final, he called out Okada who answered the call. Both wrestlers' hype-men (Gedo and TAKA) took turns talking up their guy, but it was ZSJ who looked on the ascendent the next time they met in the ring in a multi-man match in which Okada's team lost. Afterwards, ZSJ took pleasure in stomping on Okada's arm and warned him that like so many other top stars before him, Okada wasn't anything compared to ZSJ when it came to submissions. The question of whether Okada can prove him wrong is for next month, for March we can only vote based on the build to that match. As noted, many suggest it was more ZSJ's month than Okada's, and that may affect your vote if you were considering Okada like most apparently do each month.

:haw: Chuck Taylor (FORMER PWG Champion) - Chuck Taylor, reveling in his newfound Japanese stardom, took his title to PWG's big time theater show Time Is A Flat Circle....

:worship: Keith Lee (PWG Champion) - ....unfortunately for Chuck, his challenger Keith Lee had the power of God and anime on his side, and just like Universe 7 in the Tournament of Power, he managed to defeat the undefeatable and walk away with his first PWG World Championship. Thanks to Beef Jerky Robot.

:alexa: Alexa Bliss (Raw Women's Champion) - Alexa was hugely relieved when Asuka declared her intention to face Charlotte Flair at Wrestlemania. Unable to resist talking poo poo, it all backfired for Alexa when her backstage shittalking of Nia Jax was captured by the clearly visible cameraperson and microphone present in the room. Suffering a countout loss to Asuka and facing the rage of Nia, Alexa realized she'd gotten out of the frying pan and into the fire as Nia was announced as her new opponent for Wrestlemania.

:corsair: Masaaki Mochizuki (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - Mochizuki continued to defy age as he successfully defended his title for the 5th time, this time against Big R Shimizu at the Dragon Gate Memorial Gate show in Wakayama.

:human being: AJ Styles (WWE Champion) - AJ's frustrations with Shane, Bryan, Owens and Sami came to a head at the Fatal Fiveway at Fastlane. Despite the impossible odds against him, AJ triumphed and got the win, though not without the interference of Shane McMahon yet against casting a shadow over what should be a triumphant title reign for AJ. But if he thought that was the end of his troubles, he was wrong. His dream opponent of Shinsuke Nakamura is turning into a nightmare, as Shinsuke takes great delight in playing mindgames with him, taunting him and demonstrating his own ability to fight his way out of situations that AJ couldn't. March ended with a frustrated AJ and a smug Nakamura, but for now at least AJ is still the WWE Champion.

:troll: Charlotte (Smackdown Women's Champion) - Charlotte was excited at the prospect of facing Asuka at Wrestlemania, but her month has been a rough one as she has had to deal with Nattie and the ever present threat of Carmella and her Money in the Bank briefcase. Losing to Nattie after preventing Carmella from cashing in, Charlotte also took a brief break to get some dental work done, in preparation for arguably the biggest match of her career at Wrestlemania.

:killdozer: Joe Doering (FORMER Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Let it never be said that Joe Doering isn't as stubborn as a loving mule. When he says 'come on motherfucker show me power yeahhhhhh', he means it, and he won't take your poo poo lying down. This is literally what happened when Doering planted Kento Miyahara with a massive powerbomb on the floor of the Saitama Super Arena and left him loving dead for a ten-count that was only stopped when he thought 'I won't settle for a countout victory', stopped referee Kyohei Wada's count at eight and dragged Kento back into the ring to cover him for a two-count. This could've all been avoided if he'd just taken the easy win, but he just couldn't bring himself to do that, and it cost him both his momentum in the match and ultimately his second Triple Crown reign at 155 days. He's due to face Kento again in the A Block of the Champion Carnival next month though, so he'll definitely want revenge. Thanks to Venomous.

:love: Kento Miyahara (Triple Crown Heavyweight Champion) - Coming with the best dropkicks of the month and the smartest tree chopping of 2018 so far, the ace of AJPW picked up his third Triple Crown reign just in time for the Champion Carnival. Kento first won the Triple Crown in 2016, at the age of 26, and during his reign he became so astronomically over that he held the title for 464 days and successfully defended it eight times. His second reign came after he defeated the man who defeated him in his ninth defence, Shuji Ishikawa, but that was short-lived as 43 days later he'd lose the title to Suwama. (Joe Doering won the title in Suwama's first defence though, bringing us to where we are today.) Barring another unforeseen title loss, Kento has said he wants to beat Toshiaki Kawada's record of ten consecutive title defences, and at the rate he's going, I've no doubt he'll get there someday. Thanks to Venomous.

Dalton Castle (ROH World Champion) - At ROH's 16th Anniversary show, Castle successfully defended his title in a match against the excellent Jay Lethal. Despite a long show filled with great matches, Castle and Lethal had no problem ending things with a bang and Castle proved his pedigree by defeating one of ROH's most highly regarded former champions.

:mmmsmug: Austin Aries (Impact Global Champion) - After successfully defending his title against Kongo Kong and Matt Sydal, Aries had an intense chew-off with Alberto El Patron and then ended the month defeating Matt Sydal to add the Grand Championship to his collection of titles.

Brock Lesnar (WWE Universal Champion) - Roman Reigns had some stuff to say about Brock Lesnar, like the fact he was lazy and entitled and greedy and not a loyal company many who does everything he is told and instead dares to work as little as he can for as much money as he can. He pointed out how Brock is never there and gets to do what he wants and that isn't fair, and insisted that Brock was in fact a bitch. For a couple of weeks there was no answer from Brock, then he finally showed up when Roman was suspended. But Roman showed up through the crowd and... Brock beat the complete poo poo out of him to the point he needed an ambulance. The next week, Roman showed up to fight some more and... Brock beat the complete poo poo out of him again and stood posing and laughing with the belt over Roman's groaning, prone form. This is one of your last chances to vote for Brock, probably, because next week at Wrestlemania he's probably getting beaten by Roman!

:siren: I'm Still Not Happy (None of the Above) - If you want to make sure everybody knows that you don't like any of these options, please vote for this to mark your disapproval!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I have no idea who to vote for this month, I dug the Okada/ZSJ build but it felt more like ZSJ's story than Okada's. I checked out Doering/Miyahara and Kento Miyahara was pretty great but I felt the match was lacking a little something and I'm still mostly unfamiliar with him. AJ and Nakamura's build is cool, but AJ spent a couple weeks on light duty because of his injury and the start of the month was overshadowed by all that Shane nonsense. Brock murdered Roman which was fun but there was no title defense and only a few minutes of footage. I think Chuck Taylor is great but I didn't see his PWG stuff, only him in New Japan (which ruled), and the best part of all the WWE Women's builds has been Asuka who is NOT the Champion. I can't vote for Aries based purely on that El Patron chew-off being so stupid. I have no idea how to even go about seeing Dragon Gate stuff.

I guess I better watch Lethal/Castle and try to make up my mind!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 1, 2018

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I voted for Keith Lee because I like the guy

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

When in doubt, vote for Okada

SCOOBY DOOBY DOO!

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh I liked the story of Doering/Miyahara but I kinda have reservations about giving Kento the vote, mainly because the crowd was so loving dead for the most part

I’m going for Keith Lee this month, because the dude’s a loving monster and Dustin hurt his best friend Craig so karma got what was coming to him.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jerusalem posted:

I have no idea how to even go about seeing Dragon Gate stuff.

The good news is that Dragon Gate launched their streaming service today so it'll be way easier to watch them. Also I believe the show they are running today is available for free for 24 hours so worth looking into.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Bask in Keith Lee's glory and the power of video games and anime

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Jenkem Delivery posted:

Bask in Keith Lee's glory and the power of video games and anime

This Keith Lee sounds a lot like Kenny Omega.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Beautiful Ninja posted:

This Keith Lee sounds a lot like Kenny Omega.

Gimmick wise he is.....otherwise, not so much. He's a 300lb black dude, and his offence is very power oriented.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Gimmick wise he is.....otherwise, not so much. He's a 300lb black dude, and his offence is very power oriented.

That actually sounds like that otaku lineman that WWE signed then.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2018

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Beautiful Ninja posted:

That actually sounds like that otaku lineman that WWE signed then.

Just watch one of his matches https://youtu.be/RNsAgC2meuU

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I voted for Chuckie T because he defended his title last month AND the effect of his presence on Okada.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Keith Lee is a big strong boy and deserves a vote.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I went with my heart and love of games and anime and voted for Keith Lee. Okada's going to win most months, and when he doesn't it's usually someone from WWE because they have an exciting new champ or an interesting story, so I say we give an indie guy some rare love on the PWC chart.

That's my sales pitch anyway.

By the way, why is Omega's face crossed out in the monthly winner breakdown in the OP? I'm curious and intrigued by this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NowonSA posted:

By the way, why is Omega's face crossed out in the monthly winner breakdown in the OP? I'm curious and intrigued by this.

You mean Okada's?

He drew that month with "None of the Above", which also happened in a previous year with Jay Lethal. If you click the picture, it'll actually show you the voting results for that month.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Ah okay, I saw that there was an imgur link but I thought it was just a link to the same picture just larger. I should've known better with you at the helm J-ru.

And yes I meant Okada, thank goodness you've quoted me so I can't go in and edit my tiny fuckups like usual :negative:.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
For the record, most of those "None of the Above" votes were really people voting for Almas

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

For the record, most of those "None of the Above" votes were really people voting for Almas

That's impossible because he's a minor leaguer and this is for World Champions.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Maybe we could get Keith Lee in the G1 and in the same bracket as Okada to find out who the best is

Actually Keith Lee in any G1 bracket would be pretty great

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I voted for the guy who defended/had a world title match in the month of march

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

Congrats Brock voter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KungFu Grip posted:

I remember the good 'ol days where that was a requirement to actually show up on the poll.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

I remember the good 'ol days where that was a requirement to actually show up on the poll.

That would make it a lot more difficult to fix things for Okada.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Aphrodite posted:

That would make it a lot more difficult to fix things for Okada.

*puts the NJPW IC title on the poll for years*

*takes it off as soon as Nakamura leaves*

seems legit :hai:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mods please change my vote to Lesnar too, he's the only valid candidate.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

IcePhoenix posted:

Nobody cares Jay

Edit: i confused the ic with us titles but leaving it anyway

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I voted for Brock, because I hate school and I love rock n roll! (That's a Terry Funk and also Jimmy Hart Song) I do think him being the champ and not being around is boring, and I like Austin Ares and met him once so you'd think I'd vote for him, but I dunno blame Vince! Brock destroying Cena in 2014 was one of the most mark out moments to me, blame 100 years of WWE booking for me being a Brock mark I suppose is my belabored point here folks.

And also being too busy playing 100s of hours of Yakuza games this month to get into other wrestling feds at the moment. Though famous Japanese wrestlers are in Yakuza 6 I hear which is cool. I had caffeine that's why I'm posting this!

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Maybe we could get Keith Lee in the G1 and in the same bracket as Okada to find out who the best is

Actually Keith Lee in any G1 bracket would be pretty great

This, and also WALTER.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

IcePhoenix posted:

J-Ru is too scared of Suzuki to put it on the poll in case he loses.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
mods p;ease change the 10 votes from the multiple accounts i have to chuck taylor

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
real reason to not vote for okada: that awful cobra clutch he was using to win matches last month

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
when is the other poll going up

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GenericMartini posted:

Does Okada really need to win two polls again?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

Does Okada really need to win two polls again?

okada won't be on that one because he didn't defend his title last month

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

GenericMartini posted:

hello friend https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853366

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

There is still roughly a day to vote, and though Okada holds the lead it is far from insurmountable.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

There is still roughly a day to vote, and though Okada holds the lead it is far from insurmountable.

[Gedo voice] That's just what Rainmaker wants you to think. But as always he will succeed! Because he is on a different level!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I gassed the other poll thread because I didn't realize Super No Vacancy had openly dumped a shitload of Lucha Underground spoilers into the OP, which was a seriously dumb thing to do. He can feel free the make the poll again when he gets off probation, just without the spoilers this time.

Dammit Super No Vacancy :sigh:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

Sucks about the PWG spoilers in this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

PWG isn’t a TV show, they are current to whatever happened live.

• Locked thread