Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Huh. Tried to leave work, Zoe is stone dead. Won't even light the dash up.

I had to use the little emergency key hidden in the remote to get in it, but there's no ignition switch as such, and it's not recognising the keyless fob. About the only thing that's working is the release button for the charge port.

Currently sat waiting for the recovery people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sorry about the triple post, but my company took Monday off (instead of Good Friday) so I went to the nearly-deserted theater and saw Ready Player One and Pacific Rim 2.
I knew Ready Player One was aiming to mine my nostalgia, and I was OK with that. I am absolutely square in the target demographic age group for what they were dishing out. I loved it. Story was nothing world shaking, but it was gorgeous, and I had a ball noting all the references. Still missed a pile, like where the outfit Parcival was wearing in the nightclub scene came from, though I think that was mainly because I had to go pee when they apparently did the costume change scene.
I was gratified to note not only the Delorean, Akira's bike, and Bigfoot in the initial race, but also the '66 Batmobile, and the Mad Max Interceptor. I missed that there was also Christine, the A-Team van, and a variation on the Mach 5 in there as well. Also, the Delorean has a KITT scanner on the front.
SO MANY movie and video game characters, weapons, and vehicles in the climactic battle. Others just wandering around in the lobby areas of the world.
I won't lie - I want to live in Oasis. They are absolutely correct in how it will go down if such a thing ever actually exists.
The hosed up thing is that, logically, he should have hit the big red button and shut it all down, to force people to address problems in the real world.
I will, in all likelihood, buy a Blu-Ray of this.

Pacific Rim 2 was a solid sequel. Again, fairly standard story. Absolutely beautiful. Some nice twists on the bad guys, and, of course, giant robots fighting. No real complaints.

I got exactly what I expected out of both - action, adventure, eye candy hung on a fairly simple/conventional story. Definitely worth the matinee price.

Still need to see Black Panther, and I think I'll actually see Wrinkle In Time on matinee as well.

InitialDave posted:

I had to use the little emergency key hidden in the remote to get in it, but there's no ignition switch as such, and it's not recognising the keyless fob. About the only thing that's working is the release button for the charge port.

There's *no* manual key slot anywhere? That's stupid.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I also enjoyed both films, especially the huge number of references in RPO. Though Pacific Rim 2 had a few nods to anime stuff in there as well.

Darchangel posted:

There's *no* manual key slot anywhere? That's stupid.
Yeah, it's annoying. Though I'm not sure having a key switch would do anything in this instance. My suspicion is the 12v battery has died.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Yeah it is. Part of the reason it's used where it's used is its slippery nature.
Polypropylene plastics in cars are also a pain in the dick when it comes to paint and adhesives.

I watched a video a few years ago by the Applied Science, he talked about this adhesives and polypropylene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQp04glQqc

If you can't watch the video, he mentiones that the 3M Scotchweld 8005 is the only one he's found that really works for him for that plastic

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotch-Weld-Structural-Adhesive-Cartridge/dp/B007UULM6O/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

E: Fixed the product link, had the wrong one.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 4, 2018

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Dags? You like dags?
We foster dags

Catte ain't got time for dags bullshit...

Catte likes sitting and watching catte stories on the tv.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

InitialDave posted:

This is why I don't like cars to have people's names. Out of context, your conversations sound creepy:

'Zoe's dead'
'I can't turn Zoe on anymore'
'Zoe doesn't have a slot I can use'
'Let's go a party. Zoe can fit you in the rear'

etc, etc

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Darchangel posted:

I knew Ready Player One was aiming to mine my nostalgia, and I was OK with that. I am absolutely square in the target demographic age group for what they were dishing out. I loved it. Story was nothing world shaking, but it was gorgeous, and I had a ball noting all the references. Still missed a pile, like where the outfit Parcival was wearing in the nightclub scene came from, though I think that was mainly because I had to go pee when they apparently did the costume change scene.
I was gratified to note not only the Delorean, Akira's bike, and Bigfoot in the initial race, but also the '66 Batmobile, and the Mad Max Interceptor. I missed that there was also Christine, the A-Team van, and a variation on the Mach 5 in there as well. Also, the Delorean has a KITT scanner on the front.
SO MANY movie and video game characters, weapons, and vehicles in the climactic battle. Others just wandering around in the lobby areas of the world.
I won't lie - I want to live in Oasis. They are absolutely correct in how it will go down if such a thing ever actually exists.
The hosed up thing is that, logically, he should have hit the big red button and shut it all down, to force people to address problems in the real world.
I will, in all likelihood, buy a Blu-Ray of this.
I saw RP1 on Saturday and also quite liked it. I know a lot of the references I missed, being a smidge too young for it, but loved the ones I did get.

Also they shut it down Tuesday and Thursday specifically do people could enjoy the real world a bit.

Also I like how they changed the challenges from the books. The new ones made sense and saved a lot of tedium time wasting that existed in the books that would not have translated well.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Still need to see Black Panther, and I think I'll actually see Wrinkle In Time on matinee as well.

Black Panther loving owns. Wrinkle In Time... ehhhh. It's not bad but it's also not all that good either.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

I also enjoyed both films, especially the huge number of references in RPO. Though Pacific Rim 2 had a few nods to anime stuff in there as well.

Yeah, it's annoying. Though I'm not sure having a key switch would do anything in this instance. My suspicion is the 12v battery has died.

I assume push button start? Obviously if the 12v is dead you're boned, but if it's the fob battery that's dead, you might be able to actually touch it against the start button and have it start. That's how it is in my Mazda, anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I assume push button start? Obviously if the 12v is dead you're boned, but if it's the fob battery that's dead, you might be able to actually touch it against the start button and have it start. That's how it is in my Mazda, anyway.
It's an EV, the 'start' button is just to activate it.

I don't think it's the fob battery, as the central locking doesn't work, nor does anything else like the dash lock/unlock button.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Well, yeah. I mean, how could you make a Giant Robot Movie without doing so, even inadvertently? :)

quote:

OK, but what about in the case of the car being fine, but your fob being poo?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I watched a video a few years ago by the Applied Science, he talked about this adhesives and polypropylene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQp04glQqc

If you can't watch the video, he mentiones that the Devcon "Cream" colored plastic welder is the only one he's found that really works for him for that plastic

https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-22045-Plastic-Welder-Dev-Tube/dp/B003NUGL9S/

Oo, thanks for that.

Also, zip tie guns are v. handy. I have a cheap one that works fine. No tension adjustment, though.

edit: actually, the application instructions for Devcon specifically state that "does not bond to Polyethylene or Polypropylene Plastics."
He says the 3M Scotchweld 8005 is for polyethylene, though. One of the comments says "you can buy a super glue activator/etch product that enables normal cyanoacrylate to bond to polyolefins like polyethylene and polypropylene, much more cost effective."

ilkhan posted:

I saw RP1 on Saturday and also quite liked it. I know a lot of the references I missed, being a smidge too young for it, but loved the ones I did get.

Also they shut it down Tuesday and Thursday specifically do people could enjoy the real world a bit.

Oh, I know, but a YT vid made the case he really should have done it the other way, and logically, was not wrong.

quote:

Also I like how they changed the challenges from the books. The new ones made sense and saved a lot of tedium time wasting that existed in the books that would not have translated well.

Haven't read the book. It's on my list.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Black Panther loving owns. Wrinkle In Time... ehhhh. It's not bad but it's also not all that good either.

So I hear. My brother in law is a WIT fanatic, and really wouldn't be happy if the script wasn't exactly like the book, but he... didn't hate it. For reference, he absolutely hated the previous attempt, which of course anyone who ever read the book would. This attempt was light years better, according to him.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 4, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just watched the Last Jedi on blu ray the other night :v:

It was good, but I guess I was expecting some earth shattering revelations that some people were implying, nothing really surprising :shrug:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It was good, but I guess I was expecting some earth shattering revelations that some people were implying, nothing really surprising :shrug:

Ditto - just watched it the first time not too long ago. I read somewhere that the experience is a little better if you do TFA and TLJ back to back as it removes some of the speculation/theories from your head prior that were floating prior to release. I might have to give that a go.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Prior to TLJ you had to be a super special white boy in order to become a magical Jedi master. TLJ made it so literal garbage people (and GIRLZ) can become one and that's what pissed so many douchenerds off.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
New star wars makes more sense when you realize that Kylo Ren is every die-hard star wars fanboy ever.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fermented Tinal posted:

New star wars makes more sense when you realize that Kylo Ren is every die-hard star wars fanboy ever.

lol, ok this just improved my perception of it a lot

one of the engineers i work with...i just can't pin it down exactly why but every single time he talks to me I wish I was having a stroke...holy loving poo poo give me a stroke right now so this conversation ends

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Like, TLJ completely confirmed it when Mark Hammil shrugged off all of their hopes and dreams. That moment Kylo screamed it was as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced.

I laughed in the theatre. I am enjoying the new movies and I don't give a gently caress if they are just rehashes and side stories that are outside the EU. They're certainly better than the prequels.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

I loved TLJ because it is a very aggressive deconstruction of Star Wars and its fandom, while still being an alright Star Wars movie. It's like The Watchmen or Starship Troopers

The editing makes its contempt a little too obvious in places, though

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Darchangel posted:

Oh, I know, but a YT vid made the case he really should have done it the other way, and logically, was not wrong.
Yes, let's fight like maniacs to save the super powerful virtual world system just to irreversibly turn it off. Brilliant plan!

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've heard mixed reviews of Black Panther, I'm going to catch it tomorrow night since I finally got my moviepass in the mail. I've heard everything from it was amazing to if I'm going to see it for a superhero movie, I'll be disappointed since Black Panther in the Captain America: Civil War was a superhero and in his movie, it's basically an origin story with very little superhero content, however it was a better political space movie than Phantom Menace. I'm going to watch it in the same mindset as I watched The Beach in and I'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I laughed in the theatre. I am enjoying the new movies and I don't give a gently caress if they are just rehashes and side stories that are outside the EU. They're certainly better than the prequels.

Absolutely this, and TLJ essentially reprises Benicio Del Toro's role of Franky loving Four Fingers in space! =D

keykey fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 4, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
TLJ was a great homage to Empire, the best movie, and it was also a huge middle finger to the worst of us.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ilkhan posted:

Yes, let's fight like maniacs to save the super powerful virtual world system just to irreversibly turn it off. Brilliant plan!

Like you could stare at that button and say no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is absolutely true.

Fermented Tinal posted:

TLJ was a great homage to Empire, the best movie, and it was also a huge middle finger to the worst of us.

So is this.

But I still thought it was a crappy flick.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You are completely allowed to have that opinion.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

But still not as bad as the prequels!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Recently I have been going through the expanse with the missis and we are both enjoying it a lot- should be about caught up in time for season 3.

Any good horror recently?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

InitialDave posted:

It's an EV, the 'start' button is just to activate it.

I don't think it's the fob battery, as the central locking doesn't work, nor does anything else like the dash lock/unlock button.

Oh. Yeah, sounds like your poo poo's dead, then. Hopefully you're not still waiting on the service dudes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Holy poo poo. That's brilliant.

ilkhan posted:

Well, there's that, yes, but arguably they were sticking their collective heads in the sand and giving up. The Tuesday Friday thing was a decent compromise, I guess. Also, I actually forgot that it would be permanent.

Rhyno posted:

This is absolutely true.

So is this.

But I still thought it was a crappy flick.

You also didn't like Ready Player One, so your opinions are suspect. Though that could be because of your very close proximity to the worst members of the target audience, until recently, maybe.

edit: just to be clear,

Fermented Tinal posted:

This is true as well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DesperateDan posted:

Recently I have been going through the expanse with the missis and we are both enjoying it a lot- should be about caught up in time for season 3.

Any good horror recently?

Travelers is very good "Light-Fi."

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

iwentdoodie posted:

That loving blows, man. Dash cam catch it at least?

Cam caught it all (plate #, truck #, company name, company phone #, etc). I've already started receiving threatening phone calls from "managers" at this company saying I ran their truck off the road, and mentioning how many cameras they have on their trucks. So please tell me how a 2900 pound Saturn can run a ~60,000 pound trash truck off the road again, you guys. :allears:

pr0craztinazn posted:

Here’s hoping your neck pain doesn’t stick around long term. You’ve done quite a job keeping that car alive, but this might be its time. May the dash cam come in handy for getting the most you can out of the garbage company.

Geico (my insurance) was out here an hour ago. It's very much a writeoff, but after BSing with the guy a bit, he told me "you'd be loving stupid not to buy it back and fix it, it's all cosmetic aside from the wheel and MAYBE the control arm". They're giving me nearly double what I expected, the buyback is only $450, and I have a rental with unlimited mileage for 5 days. He also told me it will NOT be reported as a total to Carfax/Autocheck/etc. Obviously, whenever I do sell it, I'll disclose this stuff; Geico will have the VIN internally as "NOTHING MORE THAN LIABILITY AND COMPREHENSIVE" anyway.

I'm really impressed with Geico on this one though. They knocked this poo poo out super quick, I'm just waiting on the check so I can go buy parts. I have a rental for 5 days, hopefully that's enough to at least get a headlight, headlight bucket, corner lamp, and some wiring. I don't mind using some duct tape for the bumper until I find another bumper (it'd be real nice to find another bumper with cutouts for fog lights, but apparently I have the unicorn bumper).

I still haven't been able to loving sleep, I've been awake over 24 hours now... :sigh:

And if you think the car is ready to be put out to pasture.. :fuckoff: drat thing still runs great aside from a timing chain rattle at startup (supposedly fixed with a $35 tensioner that screws into the block).

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

STR may i interest you in my redline? i will literally drive it down to u :3:

Will trade wrecked Ion 3 for Redline. :3: I'll even provide a comfy couch for a day or two!

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

I know its not a good idea to share the video at this time, but drat I'd love to see it.

gently caress that bullshit company and their dangerous drivers.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

dddddouble post.

Just got a call from a manager at the trash company that smacked my car (same manager I've been dealing with, the one who was verbally threatening physical harm at one point). It was much less hostile, but they were asking for a copy of my ID, VIN, license plate, and car insurance, "to speed everything along".

Told him "I'm sorry sir, but my attorney has strongly recommended I not speak with you". Goi a "this is just basic information, we need this for our own insurance". Got an email address out of him. Seems the ambulance chaser lawyer I hired is out to lunch, but I'm just gonna go out on a limb here and guess providing this stuff is A Bad Idea, especially when they kept saying "we don't need no lawyer for this". My own insurance has already ruled in my favor (based on dashcam), totaled my car (based on both photos and physical examination), and procured a rental for me. I kept telling the guy "my attorney has recommended I not speak to you".

nm, you wanna start playing the "how many violations" game?

epic bird guy posted:

I know its not a good idea to share the video at this time, but drat I'd love to see it.

gently caress that bullshit company and their dangerous drivers.

Unfortunately, this may be a video that never gets shared - it very, very clearly shows company names, truck numbers, even the driver. Legal counsel has advised me to make multiple copies of said video, but not to share it.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 5, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
STR's getting him some settlement money.

Someday.

Maybe.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

In 30 or 40 years.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Yeah, you don't need to tell them anything, if they want information they can go through your lawyer. What a bunch of shady cunts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm gonna hold out hope that they hush money you.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

STR is about to move from Sewage Street to McMansion Street :3:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
back up a copy of that video to a few copies of physical media and get it stored in a safe deposit box

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Oh. Yeah, sounds like your poo poo's dead, then. Hopefully you're not still waiting on the service dudes.
Yep, as suspected, it was the 12v battery. Which was deciding to be a 4.6v battery. Once the recovery guy got to me, all it needed was a hit with a booster pack and it was back to life.

The problem is that the 12v is only charged when the car is "running", just as with an alternator, so short uses and cold weather does a similar number on them to a regular car, and the main charger when you plug the car in doesn't charge the 12v battery. I've put one of my CTEKs on it tonight, and stuck a spare battery and jump leads in the boot so I can rescue it myself if it does it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

If they wanted that info turn the driver should have stopped and recorded it. Jackasses :colbert:

• Locked thread