Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Jesus loving christ

What a good thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Wild Wild Country is, uh... :stonk:

Yeah holy poo poo

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Still the best car forum in existence :colbert:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Who the gently caress is this divincenzo kid

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

When you know you're right and you're ready to fight for it, well that's a particular level of fun. I just turned a lab grade from a 64 to a 74 to a 90 in much the same manner.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Oh God, here we go again. :rolleyes:

I read a reddit deadbedroom jank about a dude thay hadnt had sex with his wife in 17 years and whenever he brought it up shed say "here we go again..." and so now that's like ingrained in my head.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Of course my fuckin hard grad class assigns a lab due the 13th, same day I'm taking the PE. Coupled with the 12 hour days I'm working during an outage at a power station and, well, this is gonna be a fun few weeks.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Seminal Flu posted:

My 8 year old just got a cast on her broken arm yesterday and I'll tell you the same thing I told her -- you can do anything for a couple weeks. Focus, push, know that it's a short-term crush and you'll get through it.

Thanks bud. I'll be in my nerd hole if anyone needs me.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

fridge corn posted:

not much u?

Oh hello

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Everyone should get Pulsar, btw

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Got this fuckin surprise lab done and submitted today. It was due the day of my PE license test.

NOW NOTHING STANDS IN MY WAY OF THE WEEK LONG STUDY GAUNTLET LETS loving DO THIS

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Also welcome back AI!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

iwentdoodie posted:

So Porsche got out of WEC, so now they're just going around destroying lap records in a totally uncorked 919.

Set a new lap at Spa of 1:41.770, previous was 1:42.553 set by Hamilton in F1 qualifying last year. loving ridiculous.

gently caress

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Thank gently caress that's over.

I have no idea if I passed or not, but I don't find out for like 10 weeks so time to put it completely out of my mind I guess.

First thing on the agenda: nap.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Man, when it rains it pours.

Taxes due, didn't withhold enough - $2500 federal, haven't done state yet.
Turbo blew in my V70R, just bought a used one for $375
Yesterday I noticed the front tires on my daughter's car are showing belts. I might be able to keep running the rears as they look fairly new but it's AWD so I may have to replace all 4. $300 minimum.
Woke up to a dead furnace this morning. It's 24 years old so fixing it would be pointless. I almost replaced it last year but I was and still am digging out of my unemployment hole from 2016. $3000 minimum.
On top of that a buddy talked me in to a $1600 vacation before any of this happened and I haven't paid him back for it yet. It's next month.

Welp, at least I have good credit. I guess I'll start by buying a couple space heaters so my kid and I don't freeze to death tonight. Also my gas fireplace still works.

Hope it gets better my dude. Might be too late but if you talk to a tax person they're pretty good at getting that number down. Mine did wonders this year.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Some classless gently caress stole the ezpass transponder from my car last night.

I just found out because I went through a toll, the bells went off, and a state trooper nicked me. I'm now late as hell to work. Great.

Hahaha what the gently caress

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Congrats, it's over at least. I bet you're more professional now.

I feel more professional.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It's a lot like the fascism commentary in Starship Troopers. I love me some Kubrick.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Geoj posted:

Job chat: just verbally accepted a systems admin position with a startup metal fabrication company.

Its going to mean an immediate 20% raise ($42,500 to $52,000/annually), 50% decrease in daily commute and most importantly, a substantial bump in title. This will be the first meaningful raise to my base pay that I've had since 2010.

Going to be working with another admin from the parent company in Detroit for the first six months, then after that I'll be running all things IT with guidance/direction from the home office. I'm still in the "pinch me, I'm dreaming" phase - currently working tech support for a small industrial printer company that could best be described as a struggling business in a dying industry. I've read the writing on the wall here and assuming the place doesn't go under in the next year or two it'll just be more of the same "raises aren't in the budget this year" bullshit I've been putting up with since 2010.

Congrats dude! That's exciting news.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

How's everyone doing this fine Tuesday morning? Everybody get their taxes done?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Snowing on April 17th and people are losing their minds over it.

ReasonsILeftTheMidwest.txt

McTinkerson posted:

Doing just fine! Taxes are done and my refund is going towards paying off the wife's tax bill since her employer didn't deduct enough. Good bye car parts.

Are you officially done with crunch time? Or is there another push coming up?

Easy come easy go, yeah?

The 8 hour test is behind me, hopefully for good. Still have these two grad classes to finish up but that's much less mental stress. Appreciate you asking.

Larrymer posted:

I swapped back to all season tires and it froze/snowed last night. I barely made it up the one large hill on my drive to work. Too soon, JR. Otherwise I think on the rebound from the flu, so things are looking up.

How are you, fella?

Dude my friends are all getting this weird flu thing. Glad it's getting better for ya.

I'm great! Have a trip to Jamaica in May I'm looking forward to.

iwentdoodie posted:

Been done for months.

I'm fine other than I had to spend my night last night swapping a header into the Civic because the #4 tube on the stock manifold was cracked almost 360°.

So now I just need to find an obd2 reader and get it ordered, finish up a spreadsheet (sum is not countif) and I'm good :v:

Dang you just reminded me - I didn't get pictures, but I helped a buddy out with his car last night. He has an LL Bean Outback 3.0R and knows 0 about cars, so he got this lazy mutual friend of ours to swap plugs on it. Dude took like 7 weeks and brought it back with engine noise. I thought it was rod knock when I was riding around in the back seat, but we brought it into the garage during a party on Saturday (MEAT MEET) and it was definitely compression coming from the passenger rear spark plug hole. The fuckin plug was loose, since Mr. Lazybones didn't unbolt the two mounts to lift the engine up for better access, and got frustrated and said "gently caress it". I'm talking not even finger tight, still 5 or 6 rotations to go. Thank god those plugs have a shitload of threads.

You ever use VBA with excel? Most diehard programmers I talk to think it's child's play, but there's some seriously cool stuff you can do with it. I need to dig up my old turbo sizing calculator sometime.

slurry_curry posted:

gently caress yea. Well not finished, but our accountant was done enough to know we will be getting a return this year(instead of the $$$$ bill we got last year), but she also had to file an extension. Won't see the refund for a while, but just knowing we don't have to write a huge check to the IRS really helps with the anxiety of our first kid being on its way.

I am just happy Seattle is having our normal spring weather(alternating between beautiful sunny skies to pouring rain and back every 30 minutes or so), instead of being snowed in like the rest of the country.

Tho I did just hear that a new team is being spun up in my job, which is a team I have been trying to get going for a while. The problem is, I was supposed to be running/building the team(part of the new role I moved into at the start of the year), but I only heard about all of this when one of my coworkers asked why I wasn't on a meeting invite. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out, I really don't want to change jobs right now, but running that team was the main reason I took the new role. That team will be responsible for all the interesting engineering work part of my job, which just leaves me all the bullshit meetings and poo poo. The joys of working for a startup.....

+1 for awesome accountants. Mine saved my rear end. I'm claiming rental income but didn't deduct anything, and she had me grab anything related to the house and made a shitload of deductions to where my entire discrepancy is like $500.

poo poo man that sucks they didn't even say anything to you. If I were in that boat I'd 1. act super excited about everything to do with the new team, and just feed a dickload of positive energy towards it in conversation to show you're obviously supposed to be there, and 2. lowkey talk to recruiters about finding a place that cares. These co's aint loyal.

Enourmo posted:

I'm in week 2 of my sprint to the finish for my degree, everything's on fire and i'm lowkey panicking nonstop.

So you know, comparatively not bad.

Yo, you got this. It's always hosed around the end of the semester but, like Seminal Flu / meatpimp said, you can do ANYthing for a couple of weeks. I'm rooting for you, bud.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Yes I filed last day. The IRS sucked my account dry this morning. The state will be taking theirs via check. My estimations were...under from my normal withholding amount. It makes me sad because while I don't usually expect a refund I don't expect owing an amount anywhere near what I did. I had my eye on a couple of toys I was hoping to pick up and this made me responsible up and put those on hold.

My job is pretty cyclical through the week with Mondays being full :kingsley: and they just wipe me out. I barely have much left to help out with the kids etc when I get home at night.

Fuuuuuuuuck. Hope that poo poo improves for you. I cannot even begin to imagine how much of an energy drain kids are.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Ah, right. Forgot he'd said it was an L03 earlier. Plus I wanted to post V8 hand signs.

Real question, because I know you guys know everything, or at least someone knows something:
How do I edit my thread's title, or is that just something only mods can do? I'm not seeing anything obvious, and the internet is being surprisingly unhelpful in SA-related things.

Hit me up babygirl.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Moped chat: that one NEAI party in CT where we raced around the property on mopeds, and Kastein and Slow is Fast and chrisgt resurrected some tank from a shed, and we got the holdbrooks warboy video. Ugh. That was a good day.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Geoj posted:

Job chat: current employer pulled the "you can't quit because you're fired" routine when I went in to work today - a stunning display of professionalism that is no less than I would expect out of them.

Already been in contact with my new employer, they have to confirm it but they're pretty sure they can start me next week :toot:

Fortunately we have just enough in the bank to cover all the bills through the end of the month in the event of a worst-case scenario.

Enjoy your inter-work impromptu vacation!

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Just don't. You want to avoid drama and dumb poo poo in your life? Then don't invite it.

Yeah holy poo poo this.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Wait hold on. A fitbit themed versa, or is there a new fitbit called the versa?

e: just looked it up... thank god there's no fitbit themed nissan yet.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

I'm definitely enjoying watching it between binges of Breaking Bad second run.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

dee eight posted:

Mrs d8 binged the entirety of lost in space and liked it. I'm almost done with better call saul. We both watched all 6 or 7 seasons of death in paradise and it's a fun show with a fair to middlin' ensemble cast and decent writing/dialouge.

I couldn't get into Better Call Saul until I treated it as its own thing, and then it was amazing and I binged it hardcore.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

It really gets into its stride in the last season currently out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Larrymer posted:

How are you not a doctor at this point? That's eleven years.

Took me 7 and a half. A degree's a degree.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Enourmo posted:

Drug problems, brain problems, indecision about my major, hanging out with bad dudes; it took me a long time to purge my social circle of bad influences to the point I could realize how much they were hurting me, both directly and in terms of saying "gently caress college we'll go be pot judges in Amsterdam lol". Then I decided to change careers after finally going back and getting my first associate's degree (in mechanicking, lol sears auto) only to find out exactly 0 schools outside the Great Lakes area offer a bachelor's degree that follows on from an A.A.S. in Automotive Technology, so I basically had to go back and start my A.A. from scratch before I could get a bachelor's in anything.

Plus, the core class flowchart has a lot of really long prerequisite chains, to where if you fail any single one it pushes back completion; there's one that goes from College Algebra to Senior Design 2 that's about 11 semesters long best case. I laugh when people in other majors go "Oh I'm considering taking summer courses to get a little ahead"; for us it's not optional, the department presumes you to be taking summer classes every year until your senior year, and actually has a mandatory minimum summer credit requirement. Also some cases of multiple parallel prereqs, some of which were offered at my state college and some not, so I got into a state where I could only take a couple classes when I first transferred to the big school, so that threw me even farther off the "optimized course path" and made it take even longer.

Trust me when I say I am acutely aware of how long it's been.

And yet after all the trouble and strife and roadblocks, you're getting a BSME. Congratulations my dude. I can't speak for everyone, but I'm super proud you made it through. Almost time to celebrate!

Just remember when you're applying for jobs, that you're willing to learn. The biggest mis-step with recent engineering grads is thinking they know everything when, in fact, they know mostly nothing about an entry level engineering job. Don't argue too much on salary at this point, but make sure a place is offering a decent wage. 60k seems to be the sweet spot for entry-level in any area not racked by COL adjustments.

All the managers are looking for from an entry-level engineer is a willingness to learn and a passion for the subject. Be that dude.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

mekilljoydammit posted:

Yeah, I'm way ahead of you... I think being in R&D roles means I don't fit into normal HR boxes though, or something. I'm having a weird time trying to get anywhere with new jobs.

Regional headhunters are great about this. Aerotek or similar will get you in front of the right people, and they want to because the employer hiring you pays them a finder's fee.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

You can come walk my dogs too while you're at it.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Electric Shaver Malaise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Sometimes I think I have IBS but then I remember all the beer I drink and all the spicy food I eat.

• Locked thread