Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope that we move out of the faux 80s nostalgia stuff, with like Stranger Things, and into faux 90s nostalgia. Because then the'll be able to make a X-Statix movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

JordanKai posted:

X-Statix first appeared in 2001. 2k nostalgia is still a long ways off, I'm afraid.

2001 is basically the nineties. Every decade culturally extends a couple years into the next one

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Archyduke posted:

I suppose so broadly, but as far as I'm concerned that precise moment in Marvel comics-- X-Statix, Morrisson's X-Men, Bendis on Daredevil, etc.-- was deliberately and pretty effectively a break with what came before it. If you compare the first page of New X-Men to the last page of Lobdell's brief fill-in run it's like falling asleep in one century and waking up in another. Say what you will about Joe Quesada's stewardship but he cleared a lot of brush, and the best of Marvel's 2000/2001 stuff (I'm including here Ultimate Spidey) feels much more like a tone-setting for the next decade rather than the dying throes of the previous one.

But that's your perspective from knowing about comics. From the perspective of a general person, MTV, Big Brother, Spice Girls, skateboarding, all that culture that X-Statix was drawing from, was the 90s. So if they make an X-Statix movie general audiences are gonna see it as a 90s throwback.

Lurdiak posted:

Everyone knows the 90s ended on 9/11.

yeah

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

I was hoping for actual trenchant analysis of LGBT issues in Archie comics, especially focusing on Jughead's long hinted-at homosexuality/asexuality and Kevin Keller, but nope it is some high-larious out of context panels that may or may not have been photoshopped instead. Oh well.

Yeah but that's everyday for you. Every day you wake up hoping for actual trenchant analysis of social issues in Archie comics. Sometimes you get it, but you still have to be expecting disappointment by now.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anybody have a link to that video where Alan Moore is speaking Spanish or Italian or something, and he's in a comic shop and talks about using pages of Green Lantern as rolling papers?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/UweBollRaw/status/982400865850961920

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are they doing more movies in the DCCU?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Covok posted:

Yes, Aquaman is planned for this year or next, they're doing a cyborg movie, Wonder Woman 2 is confirmed.

Well, gotta give them points for tenacity

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

Shazam's gonna be so good.

Oh my god, that costume. It's not covered in pointless lines or strangely textured! They did a good superhero costume!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teenage Fansub posted:

It's got the modern Superman suit type texture.

but also Tawky Tawny cape clasps :)

That looks like cloth to me, while the Man of Steel suit looked like rubber

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the first volume of Laid-Back Camp came out recently, check if your newsstand has that

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finally got around to watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Relies too much on dick jokes, but otherwise really good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

I carded a woman who ended up being in her 50s once. I did, like, a quadruple-take and told her she was probably gonna get carded until the day she died.

Did you say it spooky, like a prophecy?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's the African comic scene like? They must do comics, everybdoy does, but you never hear about comics coming out of Africa

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skwirl posted:

I think comic stores will always exist, but the amount will probably shrink in the short term at least.

It's notable that while Amazon annihilated Borders and Barnes and Noble, the number of independent bookstores increased by 35% between 2009 and 2015

Also, while trying to find a hard number for that I discovered tomorrow is Independent Bookstore Day, so check that out if you can.

Amazon didn't annihilate Borders or Barnes and Noble. Borders was killed by corporate malfeasance, the same thing that's currently killing Barnes and Noble.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CapnAndy posted:

I mean, you're not entirely wrong, but Amazon is still at least a proximate cause; Borders went down because they ignored digital sales and e-readers entirely and Barnes and Noble is dropping because even though they didn't, the Nook simply can't hang against the Kindle.

Like, if I made you boss of Barnes and Noble with magic powers to transform it in any way you see fit, so long as they still sell books and Amazon is still Amazon, what exactly do you do to make yourself a viable business? I don't see a path.

No, dude. Barnes and Noble is currently being intentionally killed by executives. They're selling the long term survival of the company for short term gains for themselves.

http://audreyii-fic.tumblr.com/post/170886347853/the-entirely-unnecessary-demise-of-barnes-noble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think we probably have enough superhero comics about superhero comics at this point.

• Locked thread