Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Bifauxnen posted:

holy poo poo, fantastic job, Nep-Nep

I was CERTAIN it was snail!

pretty much this!

great work i'm jealous of your skills. mafia gods granted me one good vote, i should have asked for two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Oh and Atomic Soda! I wasn't lying when I defended you on day 1 over your sleep schedule. I don't like the idea of someone getting voted out just because they have to sleep or work or do anything else in the world.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
haha it was a great scum tactic either way, i appreciated it and you looked considered/actually scum hunting. the call out of flerp over that dbz mafia stuff was also great distancing.

lando also did amazingly this game.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Atomic Soda posted:

lando also did amazingly this game.

Yes he did. I was so annoyed at him for still being alive at the start of d3!

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

Nep-Nep posted:

Thanks for the praise, it was a very hard game you all had me on edge the whole time! I was telling the truth about my reason for d3 inactivity btw, I don't like lying about stuff outside the game. Oh, I also want to share, I scumslipped:

This was after Lando's doctor claim and I'm the kind of person who would at least consider Bowmore and Atomic Soda as possible doctors with Lando taking a gambit, but I slipped and said this because I knew he was town! If you ever see me do this again just turbo me.

tbf, nobody counterclaimed doctor, so it wasn't a huge slip IMO.
Actually, i just reread the end of d2. I bet the game would have ended differently if snail was lynched instead of me.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
sorry bmins :(

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

b-minus1 posted:

Actually, i just reread the end of d2. I bet the game would have ended differently if snail was lynched instead of me.

I believe that too. Just another instance of us being incredibly lucky.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Booo did you know I was a PR or just saw me leading town?

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
yep, you did amazingly well nep. I was bouncing between soda and nat20 for days not considering you at all.

really sorry again for having to abandon the thread at a few points. multiple 24h+ work days and a near heart attack last night was not what I expected when I told asiina I could replace in.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...

Nep-Nep posted:

This was my first time playing scum and I have to say I didn't think I'd feel so guilty going in. Arguing in bad faith all the time is stressful! We were so lucky too flipping the town roles when they did. Should've bought a lottery ticket.

Noooo you bastard! You had me so fooled. I doctored you Night 1! Well played Nep-Nep, you came off super towny to me and I never had a chance. You deserved that win. I'm just glad I tricked one of you trying to kill me Night 2

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Also I protected Nat 20 N3, so if you were going to attack him instead XD

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Sandwolf posted:

Booo did you know I was a PR or just saw me leading town?

I felt that you were intuitively sensing something off about my posting and if that trend continued we were screwed. That aside no PR read, but you made a strong town impression on me, my scum knowledge aside. I felt that was too dangerous.

And Lando that was the right call protecting nat20- if flerp didn't tell me how it wasn't likely you would be able to protect yourself twice in a row I would have gone for him.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Also shoutout to the people I failed this game. At the end of day 1 I was actually pretty sure Shark was town, but the only other option was me and I was the doctor. I also felt pretty bad for thinking b-minus1's usual personality was a scum challenge to town daring us to lynch him. I think in a bigger game that would have been fine, but with so few mislynches losing the game I should have been more objective and less emotional.

It's actually amazing how bad I am at this game. Actually being involved absolutely destroys my ability to read people compared to when I'm just following along lurking.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Oh right if there's one thing I hope this game teaches people, it's that setup talk in an open setup game is not scummy. It's actually very towny. You want every town member with a power role to know exactly how to use it and how their results can or cannot find scum/verify town. I'm just not nearly as good/objective as Lumpen when discussing this stuff.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before
Lando, I thought you played really well. This was the second game I've played with you, and I couldn't help but notice similarities between your posting style in the westworld game and this one. plus that self-protect bluff was awesome

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

I identify as Vanilla Town. Pretend I continued that as a joke based on the 'Attack Helicopter' meme.

That's how I want to play regardless of what I am. I think playing my first game in years as scum threw me for a loop though, because in Westworld I initially had a very hard time making cases on town members because knowing they were town made it easy to read everything as frustrated town. I generally don't lie very much unless I think there's a major benefit to it- see making sure not to get lynched because I was one of 3 town power roles, and then lying about who I protected as a gambit.

I'm considering whether I should change it up though. It's enjoyable to play this way but it seems it's not as effective as I'd like at actually winning. If Nat 20 hadn't put his case on Flerp there wouldn't have been a day 4, we'd have mislynched Snail and it'd be GG that night.

Honestly looking back on it binus I think I have a better read on you now. Your activity level was a much bigger indicator of your alignment than how scummy your posts sound/feel. I felt bad when you got mislynched in two games one after another and I hope you don't let it get to you and keep playing.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Also it just occurred to me how accurate my avatar is for this game. Nep-Nep is Kylo Ren.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
i was so mad at bminus because he was actually right about me being scum but then he never put out a case and so he didnt ever get me lynched. like if u had put pressure on me, i prob wouldve crumbled. there was even a moment d1 where bminus said, "we should lynch flerp" and i said in scum chat, "im not worried, bminus calls out names all the time but doesnt do any casing" and then i asked you to make a case on me and you didnt and i lol'd in scumchat.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Lando131 posted:

I identify as Vanilla Town.

Funny you should say that, I thought you were vanilla town because of your setup spec on day 1. It seemed aimed at newer or less aware players, and so my thinking was "if he's writing this, maybe he doesn't have a power role and is therefore more concerned that a player who doesn't know their stuff received one."

I wrote a long mess of words about my mental approach to the game. It has more to do with playstyle and less specific strategy though I do relate to specific things that happened in the game as examples. Rather than make a huge cluttered post I just made a pastebin. Feel free to click if you're curious or move on if you're not:

https://pastebin.com/veTYT67x

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Nep-Nep posted:

I wrote a long mess of words about my mental approach to the game.

This was fun to read, I'm really looking forward to playing a Mafia game with you sometime :dance:

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Nep-Nep you're a terrifyingly thoughtful scum player. I think that thoghtfulness about the 'story' your play tells and the poker reasoning helped you a lot. You legit had me fooled. My bias towards wordier and more frequent posters played here pretty hard. You were so thoughtful in your statements and cases I thought you had to be town, whereas b-minus1 just throwing poo poo out there reads naturally scummy to me.

Personally I tend to play more in the moment than with any coherent strategy. As scum in Westworld Mafia there honestly was no strategy involved in how we posted in thread. There was only a single time I actually changed how I'd have been playing as town because I was scum, which might be why b-minus1 thought my posting was so similar. I'm not sure if that'll be a net positive or negative.

Though actually I decided not to breadcrumb this game on purpose because the open setup would make it easier to find, but also because I didn't want to have to create fake breadcrumbs in potential future scum games. :v:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Good game!

On the train so this will be brief.

I considered Nep as possibly scum, but my stance was that if he was, I was hosed. The same thing happened with Sal when he first got scum, I just have a complete blind spot for newbie scum.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nep-Nep, you kicked rear end this game. Well done, please play more Mafia!

PS, #3 on your list is one of the core points of how I play Mafia and it’s super cool that you picked up on it as a strategic element.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Podima posted:

Well done, please play more Mafia!

I definitely will once my plate is a little less full! (I ended up being much more into the hype of the Zelda spring tournament than I thought I would be as several of my friends entered and I want to watch their matches as well as prepare for my own)

• Locked thread