Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will win the Main Event of Wrestlemania?
This poll is closed.
Brock Lesnar 4 4.04%
Shinsuke Nakamura 22 22.22%
:lol: Stephanie 32 32.32%
THE BIG DOG! 41 41.41%
Total: 99 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

boar guy posted:

i think if you watch the crowd in the background at the end of the show as thunderous cheers erupted for Roman you'll notice that almost no one was making any noise and anything you heard was 80% piped in

I was there. It wasn't piped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Little Mac posted:

i dont think 13 thousand people can make that much noise as it sounded like the la coliseum packed to the rafters and cheering for roman

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Little Mac posted:

Or it was piped in very skillfully.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

how do you know how it sounded on tv, lol

the loudest pop i ever saw was edge and vickie guerrero doing some champagne celebration the night after a ppv. it literally drowned out the PA. that's how loud roman's cheers sounded on TV tonight and that was 21k at staples

edit: fun fact, the butterfly belt also debuted that night, on a pole :science:

boar guy fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 3, 2018

checksin
Nov 23, 2006

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...
Are the writers already working on the breakup feud for Braun and Brains Strowman

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Joe and Braun is gonna be tight

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

VJeff posted:

I am extremely hosed off that the Cruiserweights got pre-showed.

Had to be somebody

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
John Cena asking the crowd to clap to summon the Undertaker like he was loving Tinkerbell or something is one of the worst things I have ever seen in all my years of watching professional wrestling.

And I watched Vince McMahon vs. Bret Hart live.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm just not sure why they didn't do Roman coming in from the crowd and attacking Brock and ending on a wild brawl to get people hyped for Mania. I guess the Superman punch bit wasn't too bad but it was framed by the dumb bit beforehand too.

Also I'm done with Heyman and hope he doesn't manage either Rhonda or Roman after Mania.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm just not sure why they didn't do Roman coming in from the crowd and attacking Brock and ending on a wild brawl to get people hyped for Mania. I guess the Superman punch bit wasn't too bad but it was framed by the dumb bit beforehand too.

Also I'm done with Heyman and hope he doesn't manage either Rhonda or Roman after Mania.

Pretty sure if Lesnar goes back to UFC Heyman is gone for a while as well.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

So wow, Taker never showed up? I figured they'd have him at least on the go-home show for Mania. Are they really going to run with an "unannounced" match for Cena/Taker? That seems dumber than doing the match in the first place.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

I really hope there is no Taker/Cena match and they just occasionally cut to John in the crowd having a good time enjoying Wrestlemania as a fan.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Professor Funk posted:

This feels like WM31 going in, which seemed like it was going to be absolute dogshit. Lets hope it similarly exceeds expectations (it won't).

Also...no Demon?

Dale Torborg never had a run in wwe

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dimebags Brain posted:

I really hope there is no Taker/Cena match and they just occasionally cut to John in the crowd having a good time enjoying Wrestlemania as a fan.

Unironically same, I hope it's like MitB 2011 where you could see Colt Cabana and Mama Punk reacting to poo poo but it's John and whichever Bella he's engaged to being like dam look at that, shinsuke and AJ are sick

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
This show sounds awful. Why is this company so loving bad that they can't even get it together for Wrestlemania season anymore?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

well That's what happens when you go deep in the pizza with your big ole dick

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Even Bray Wyatt got a lightning bolt to answer his taker challenge

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

DeepDickPizza posted:

This show sounds awful. Why is this company so loving bad that they can't even get it together for Wrestlemania season anymore?

People are gonna be there and it gets lots of media coverage so why put any effort in?

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I think it would be cool if Roman reigns like, died or suffered a career ending injury or stopped being in wwe or something.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Please refer to him as The Powerhouse Roman Reigns

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I think it would be cool if Roman reigns like, died or suffered a career ending injury or stopped being in wwe or something.

Vince McMahon has one sure-fire way to make an eternally-loved top babyface, and it's giving a wrestler a gun to shoot Roman Reigns in the back of the head.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

The only thing that i'm even vaguely interested in a the WM main card is Braun and Nak/AJ. How is this company so bad at booking a PPV with the talent pool they have?

I guess the pre-show Battle Royale and the Flipman Final might be fun as well but that's still just 4 matches in 7 loving hours of wrestling.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I think the card looks good and that it will be a fun show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'm certainly far more enthusiastic about the show than I was at the end of the last PPV, and I'm hoping it is gonna be really good even if it will be incredibly long.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I hope Undertaker takes Cenas challenge, but it’s Biker Taker.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hope Mean Mark Callous answers the challenge

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I just remembered Brock put more effort into selling those 5 Superman Punches from The Big Dog than he put into the entire Dean feud

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Corey selling for Brains Strowman has made my day and it's only 11am.

Wrestlemania is going to be fun, you guys spend way too much time ruining wrestling for yourselves.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Having not followed wrestling for 4 years, the Wrestlemania card just looks like the most batshit-insane fantasy booking fan-fic imaginable, and the absolute best time for me to check out wrestling again!

... But then I checked out the thread, and everyone seems completely apathetic about all the guys that the forum was in love with 4 years ago, so maybe that's not a great idea? :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Tyma posted:

... But then I checked out the thread, and everyone seems completely apathetic about all the guys that the forum was in love with 4 years ago, so maybe that's not a great idea? :ohdear:

Always remember to never assume a consensus opinion on anything related to anybody in wrestling outside of maybe Dolph Ziggler. Personally speaking, the roster is pretty tremendous at the moment and most of the issues are as usual a problem with the way WWE books them. Based on the card (outside of the Battle Royals which include the excellent Matt Hardy):

Cedric Alexander = Great
Mustafa Ali = Great
Brock Lesnar = A compelling trainwreck
Roman Reigns = Bad booking has poisoned the well
AJ Styles = Great
Shinsuke Nakamura = Great
The Miz = Fun heel/mediocre wrestler
Seth Rollins = Great
Finn Bálor = Greater
Randy Orton = Eh
Bobby Roode = Eh
Jinder Mahal = :gonk:
Rusev = Great
Alexa Bliss = wasted talent
Nia Jax = Not particularly good, in a terrible storyline
Charlotte Flair = Okay
Asuka = Great
Cesaro = Great
Sheamus = Good (better with Cesaro)
Braun Strowman = Great
The Usos = Great
The New Day = Great
The Bludgeon Brothers = Luke Harper real good, Rowan completely forgettable
Kurt Angle = Great but old and broken down
Ronda Rousey = Fascinating
Triple H = Triple H
Stephanie McMahon = Amazing heel, completely frustrating in that she never gets comeuppance, may actually get it this time!
Kevin Owens = Great
Sami Zayn = Great
Shane McMahon = Please go home Shane
Daniel Bryan = Absolutely the top and best guy in the entire promotion and arguably the world

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tyma posted:

Having not followed wrestling for 4 years, the Wrestlemania card just looks like the most batshit-insane fantasy booking fan-fic imaginable, and the absolute best time for me to check out wrestling again!

Hey buddy! :3:

Don't forget the #1 rule of SA, goons are terrible. Miz/Finn/Seth is going to be amazing, Rusev might get to win the US title on Rusev Day, AJ/Nakamura is dream match level, Asuka/Charlotte will be real good, Cedric/Ali will be flippy as gently caress, the Bar are gonna get Braun's hands, the Usos and the New Day are legit the two best tag teams in the world, Cena/Taker might be good I guess and Daniel loving Bryan is back. There's loads to be excited about (and also Roman/Brock and Ronda Rousey)

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Jerusalem posted:

Triple H = The Game, The Cerebral Assassin, The King of Kings, The Asskicker Triple H
fixed for accuracy

Speaking of Triple H, I was reading Gavok's 100 Worst Wrestlemania Moments article which mentions that Booker T was supposed to win at Mania XIX but WWE decided to have Triple H retain because they wanted to build towards HHH vs. Goldberg. I don't see why they couldn't have had Booker win and get his Mania moment and then drop the belt at Backlash or something, but I guess they didn't really care that much and/or Triple H made sure he'd loving go over. *hhhshovel.gif*

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Rarity posted:

Corey selling for Brains Strowman has made my day and it's only 11am.

Wrestlemania is going to be fun, you guys spend way too much time ruining wrestling for yourselves.

Eat the garbage, it good

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tyma posted:

Raw-wise, the build for the card has included:
Cena/Taker finally happening, and the build entirely being "Cena complains for a full month about old man not wanting to show up to fight him or to accept or decline the challenge because he's retired". Worse than the Bray/Taker build in that at least a chair got struck by lightning to signify the challenge was accepted
Women's battle royal focused around Bayley/Sasha, which could have gotten its own match but I guess they didn't think it was a Mania-caliber match on its own without a belt, so it's getting a uterus trophy for the winner. At least it's not named after Moolah anymore
Women's champ who overcame eating disorder bullies former friend mercilessly for being considered overweight, is assisted in this by returning wrestler whose last feud in previous run was being bullied mercilessly for being considered overweight
Ronda Rousey Match ft Steph looking strong, HHH looking bored, and Kurt looking concussed
Reigns/Brock happening again, and over half of the build being "Reigns complains for a full month about part-timer not wanting to show up to defend belt or have match". Better than the Cena/Taker build in that for the last few weeks Brock actually showed up to fight. Reigns' 4th straight Mania main event, will be his third straight coronation attempt

Andre Battle Royal is the Andre Battle Royal, you'll either enjoy it or skip it, can't say much about the build for that either way. Miz/Seth/Finn has numerous interesting possibilities in the aftermath of the result. Braun might win the tag titles all by himself, but it might not be the worst the division's ever looked because while it's definitely the biggest burial the division's had in a long time, it's in the favor of someone fans like, and it gets him out of the world title scene where he's obviously not winning anytime soon.

205 Cruiserweight match will be great, had the best build of the whole show so far with Ali's promos and the in-ring work in the tournament, but should be on the main card and won't and that sucks.

SD-wise, the build for the card has included:
US title match featuring three of the most boring people in the company, but no longer completely bad because they like Rusev's merch sales, they decided to add him to this instead of the Andre Battle Royal. Most likely to eat the pin from one of said three boring people
Asuka, sick of dominating just NXT and Raw, about to dominate SD too
New Day vs Usos part 12, this time with the addition of Harper and his friend. I think this is getting a TLC stipulation or something added to it, so it'll be fun
Owens and Zayn vs Shane. Shane wasn't getting cheered and fans wouldn't like him winning in the end, so now he's got Bryan as his partner. Bryan getting the hot tag will be the biggest cheer of the night aside from maybe him hitting The Knee Plus

Nakamura/Styles is Nakamura/Styles, the build didn't matter either way

Basically it seems like a card that has potential to be one of the company's standout shows of the year, especially talent-wise, which makes it baffling that with 7 or 8 weeks to work with, this was what they came up with in terms of build/hype material for most of it. Especially for stuff like Cena/Taker and Reigns/Brock, matchups that were teased or hyped up literally for years. Taker randomly tombstoned Cena to close an MSG Raw in one of the biggest crowd pops of 2009, and 9 years later they couldn't come up with anything more interesting than Cena shouting "DO SOMETHING" for 4 weeks to promote the actual match between them

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Its a 7 hour event for 2 to 4 matches that I will end up enjoying a lot and another big dog main event. And its the night after one of the best Takeover cards

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Rarity posted:

Hey buddy! :3:

I think context is as weird as goons are terrible! From the perspective of a time traveler from 2014, the standout matches for me were :

Daniel Bryan & Shane McMahon vs Steen & Generico - I assumed this was the main event. I know about the long Bryan injury, and I remember these being four of the most beloved guys in Punchsport Pagoda. How is this not the biggest match, especially with Bryan returning from injury?

Miz vs Tyler Black vs Prince Devitt - This looks like someone's Fire Pro dream match, between the best 3 Scumbag Heels on the planet? I don't actually know which of them are heels right now, but I want a perpetual cycle of eye-gouging and backstabbing.

AJ Styles vs Shinsuke Nakamura - How the gently caress?

Randy Orton vs Bobby Roode vs Jinder vs Rusev - I remember Mahal and Rusev being Santino-level cartoon characters. I remember Orton and Roode being the WWE and TNA equivelants of each other. I imagine this match will consist entirely of chin-locks.

Claudio & Sheamus vs That Massive Guy - From the few clips I've seen, this looks like it will be the most fun bump-athon of all time.

I admittedly don't don't know most of the people in the other matches, and don't want to watch either Leakee or Undertaker wrestle, but if Jerusalem sings their praises, and so many of the matches are potential 5-star classics, why is everyone so apathetic about the possibility of this being awesome?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Is the preshow seriously 3 hours long with only 3 matches

Neurotic Roleplay
May 20, 2005

I'm excited to watch wrestlemania this year, and every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

All the wrestling nerds and most people know Cena Taker is happening so why waste the Biker surprise on the Raw before hand when they can hopefully entice you to buy to see it Sunday? Unless he's gonna appear on smackdown.

• Locked thread