Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed
This poll is closed.
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 9 12.68%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 10 14.08%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 9 12.68%
Dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed 10 14.08%
gently caress Duke 33 46.48%
Total: 37 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

but players shouldn't be paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Every time you post in here I'm scared to click it because I think the FBI has finally dropped the hammer on KU.

The day has finally come!

...ok not really. I don't expect anything to come out of this but today had some particularly bad looking stuff for Self come out if we're imagining this isn't business as usual everywhere in the sport. And if we're imagining this shouldn't be happening if the NCAA isn't going to do the right thing and pay players.

Plus there's no direct smoking gun, just an awful lot of smoke.

quote:

Last August, as lawyers for Kansas and Adidas were finishing work on a 12-year, $191-million extension of the apparel company’s sponsorship contract with the school, Coach Bill Self got a text message from a friend in Adidas’s youth basketball division.

“Hall of famer. Thank you for help with Getting this extension done. Thx brotha,” wrote T.J. Gassnola, a top consultant for Adidas basketball who traveled the country trying to convince elite teenagers to play for the shoe company’s youth, or grassroots, league.

“I’m happy with adidas,” Self replied. “Just got to get a couple real guys.”

“In my mind it’s KU bill self . . . that’s what’s right for adidas Basketball . . . the more you win, have lottery pics. And you happy,” Gassnola wrote. “I promise you. I got this, I have never let you down Except (Dyondre) lol.”

'Dyondre' is apparently Ayton.

quote:

Gassnola — who has pleaded guilty to wire fraud charges in connection with payments for two Kansas recruits and a North Carolina State recruit — has admitted that Self, and Kansas, held a special place in his recruiting efforts. After Ayton committed to Arizona, for example, Gassnola felt he had “let down” Self and Kansas, he acknowledged on the stand.

I think we already knew this but apparently De Sousa is another Adidas delivered.

quote:

On Aug. 9, 2017, Gassnola texted Self to let him know of a recent conversation with Fenny Falmagne, De Sousa’s legal guardian in Florida. Gassnola has admitted to agreeing to pay Falmagne $20,000 to get De Sousa to attend Kansas.

“I talked to Fennie,” Gassnola wrote.

“We good?” Self texted.

“Always. That’s was light work. Ball is in his court now,” Gassnola replied.

Later that night, according to phone records referenced in court, Gassnola and Self had a five-minute phone call. When asked what they discussed, Gassnola testified he didn’t recall. Gassnola repeatedly has testified he never discussed the specifics of how he was helping Kansas secure top recruits with Self or Kurtis Townsend, a Kansas assistant who also texted the Adidas consultant about De Sousa.

Later last August, after De Sousa publicly announced his decision to attend Kansas, Self made a phone call to Adidas executive Jim Gatto, Gassnola’s boss, to thank him, Gassnola testified.

As far as the actual case goes I pretty much buy this guy's defense, I wouldn't convict him:

quote:

Federal prosecutors are arguing that these payments to families of recruits defrauded Kansas and other universities, by exposing them to possible NCAA sanctions. Gatto’s lawyers have argued he didn’t defraud the universities because he was acting at the behest of coaches, including Self.

While Gatto’s lawyers have not explicitly said Self and other coaches knew the “help” Adidas provided occasionally would involve cash payments, they have suggested such activity is commonplace in elite recruiting in college basketball, and if coaches didn’t know, it was because they didn’t want to know.

Also apparently Kansas is at least a little worried.

quote:

Kansas general counsel Brian White has attended the trial this month, often sitting in the front row and carefully taking notes. When approached by a reporter, White acknowledged he was a lawyer but refused to disclose whom he represented. (His identity was confirmed via a Kansas news release announcing his hire earlier this year, which included a photo.)

Jesus I feel like Petey quoting damned near the whole article. But I thought it was interesting and nothing's happening for a while yet, so you all can scroll past this large post full of quotes.

I want Kansas to suffer but I fully admit that's because I hate Kansas and not because I think any of this is particularly abnormal.

e: Longer text quote from the KC Star for one of those:

quote:

Gassnola responded with a text that said, “In my mind, it’s KU, Bill Self. Everyone else fall into line. Too (expletive) bad. That’s what’s right for Adidas basketball. And I know I’m right. The more you win, have lottery picks and you happy. That’s how it should work in my mind.” Self replied by text, “That’s how ur (sic) works. At UNC and Duke.” Gassnola answered by saying Kentucky as well. “I promise you I got this. I have never let you down. Except (Deandre). Lol. We will get it right.”

Also since Self apparently mentioned Duke, Coach K had some bullshit quote recently about how he's not paying attention to any of this because that's not the college basketball he knows. Everything in his world is happy little student athletes going to class and balling.

So we can also get a gently caress Duke in here which we can all agree with.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Oct 16, 2018

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Check this out: gently caress KU and gently caress Duke

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

everyone says the mighty one-time NCAA Tournament Participant Northwestern Wild Cat will be dogshit this season, but I think they are going to surprise some people and sort of okish, like not NIT okish, but not horrible. Ryan Taylor is going to be really good and they still have Pardon and Law, but they have no discernible point guard.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

R.D. Mangles posted:

everyone says the mighty one-time NCAA Tournament Participant Northwestern Wild Cat will be dogshit this season, but I think they are going to surprise some people and sort of okish, like not NIT okish, but not horrible. Ryan Taylor is going to be really good and they still have Pardon and Law, but they have no discernible point guard.

And then I think to myself "Vic Law is still at Northwestern?!" before remembering this is how I feel about literally every Northwestern quarterback, i.e., they all have roughly seven years of eligibility

Meanwhile, Nebraska's getting a lot of top 4 predicted B1G finish shouts; hell, Katz has us second. I learned all too well in 2014 not to get my hopes up <too much>, though.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

thoughts: not good
solutions: :shrug:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
John Beilein doesn't cheat and rules, also, pay the players

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/Dave_Matter/status/1054155726720065537

:tif:

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jontay nooo :smith:

The Porters became a cursed family the moment they came to Columbia

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Jesus loving Christ.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I feel sick for him, man.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

That is a complete bummer and par for the course for Mizzou athletics

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Braxton Key got a hardship waiver approved and is eligible to play for UVA this season. Provided he can learn the defense, that shores up the one weakness of this year’s squad, frontcourt depth. Virginia is going to be very good again this year, good enough to once again take the ACC from Duke and UNC, maybe even good enough to make it out of the first round of the NCAAs!

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
Maybe Mizzou will get both of their waivers approved then because lol if he got one

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
The AP Top 25 is out:

1. Kansas (37)
2. Kentucky (19)
3. Gonzaga (1)
4. Duke (4)
5. Virginia (2)
6. Tennessee (1)
7. Nevada
8. North Carolina
9. Villanova (1)
10. Michigan State
11. Auburn
12. Kansas State
13. West Virginia
14. Oregon
15. Virginia Tech
16. Syracuse
17. Florida State
18. Mississippi State
19. Michigan
20. TCU
21. UCLA
22. Clemson
23. LSU
24. Purdue
25. Washington

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
UCLA will still finish behind the FBI-Ravaged Arizona in the Pac-12 because it's UCLA.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 34 minutes!
I know Villanova basically lost their entire team, but behind Tennessee?

yowza

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Well they lost their entire team and Tennessee didn't lose anyone so

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I don't know anything about them, did K-State have a great recruiting class or did they just return everyone from a (lucky) Elite 8 team? 12 seems like it's super high.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Grittybeard posted:

I don't know anything about them, did K-State have a great recruiting class or did they just return everyone from a (lucky) Elite 8 team? 12 seems like it's super high.

They returned almost everyone, but yeah it's still way too high. I would think maybe in the 20s at best

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
#30! :woop:

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
It's odd how 1-9 are Clearly Basketball Schools but the rest of the Top 25 could easily pass as the football AP. Throw a Xavier at 22, liven things up!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Coco13 posted:

It's odd how 1-9 are Clearly Basketball Schools but the rest of the Top 25 could easily pass as the football AP. Throw a Xavier at 22, liven things up!

2018 Kentucky football is better than a number of those

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Coco13 posted:

#7 isn't :confused:

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

quote:

The complete preseason top 25 (2017-18 record)

1. Kansas (31-8)
2. Kentucky (26-11)
3. Duke (29-8)
4. Gonzaga (32-5)
5. Virginia (31-3)
6. Tennessee (26-9)
7. North Carolina (26-11)
8. Villanova (36-4)
9. Nevada (29-8)
10. Michigan State (30-5)
11. Kansas State (25-12)
12. Auburn (26-8)
13. West Virginia (26-11)
14. Syracuse (23-14)
15. Florida State (23-12)
16. Oregon (23-13)
17. Virginia Tech (21-12)
18. Michigan (33-8)
19. Mississippi State (25-12)
20. UCLA (21-12)
21. TCU (21-12)
22. Purdue (30-7)
23. Clemson (25-10)
24. Washington (21-13)
25. Nebraska (22-11)

Oh shi

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
I will have a Big XII preview put together for y'all soon.

Also I do a weekly power ranking for Smoking Musket if you're interested in my hot takes about basketball.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

the mean lunch lady posted:

Maybe Mizzou will get both of their waivers approved then because lol if he got one

Mark Smith approved, Dru Smith denied but they're going to appeal?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Henchman of Santa posted:

2018 Kentucky football is better than a number of those

Have they gone undefeated for the past 60 years like Gonzaga's football program has? I didn't think so. :colbert:

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Purdue and WVU had another secret scrimmage this year. Only thing I've read about it is Ryan Cline lit it up from 3. Painter and Huggins seem to be pretty good friends to keep doing these scrimmages, 4 out of the last 5 years I think.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't remember the last time I was excited at the start of a UT basketball season but go Vols and gently caress a *squints* Lenoir-Rhyne Bear :confused:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
last time i was excited for unlv basketball they hired an up and coming coach and then the coach left a week later

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

uwbadgers.com posted:

To review, (Ethan) Happ is in position to top 2,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 300 assists, 200 steals and 100 blocks for his Wisconsin career.
Exactly four players have done that in NCAA history.
Lionel Simmons (La Salle), Danny Manning (Kansas), Ron Harper (Miami, Ohio) and Stacey Augmon (UNLV).
None of those four played in the last 25 years.

yessssssss

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
The season starts in 8 days and I've barely even thought about basketball

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Mike_V posted:

Mark Smith approved, Dru Smith denied but they're going to appeal?

This news would have been pretty exciting a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm just like :geno:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

the season starts tonight friendo get hype

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

This news would have been pretty exciting a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm just like :geno:

Even with Jontay's injury, adding Dru Smith would help out a ton with him being a real point guard and not Jordan Geist. The ceiling would certainly be lower, but the floor would be raised a bit.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Even with Jontay's injury, adding Dru Smith would help out a ton with him being a real point guard and not Jordan Geist. The ceiling would certainly be lower, but the floor would be raised a bit.

If both the Smiths play, I think the Tigers should squeak into the Dance. Also, it sounds like Evansville is being lovely about the transfer? That doesn't seem wise for a mid-major to do if they want to attract quality players.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

No I agree it will do nothing but make the team better, and I agree with Mike_V that they get quite a bit better and maybe on the bubble if both of the Smiths are able to play. Just, Jontay was the biggest chance of the team actually being exciting.

Well, I suppose Tilmon could become a monster--well, a productive monster I mean--while at the same time not fouling out in 10 minutes every night. That would be fun to watch. I just...have to see it happen before I'll believe it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

TheAlmightyFrog posted:

NCAA basketball is really tough to get into the first month. It's lots of games against bad teams with the occasional tournament, that may also involve a lot of bad teams. Plus it's the heart of football season. I barely even pay attention to basketball, pro and college, until Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
I love early season NCAA basketball—new gods announcing their presence, big-name flops wrecking their seasons before Christmas, colleges you've never heard of turning up on live streamed games, occasional D2 or NAIA upsets of D1 teams—but I've come to accept I'm just weird about that and most people won't tune in till February or more likely March.

• Locked thread