Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«6 »
Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

When the promoter isn't telling you about how the arena works, it pays to be a super-fan. Kate remembers watching matches in this very arena, and while it does change from time to time, she bets whatever McKnight paid for the turning-everyone-to-ash magic precludes him also having paid to remodel it again since last time she watched. The secret entrance, then, is in the eastern thicket of brush, an open hole with stone steps leading underground. Itís well-hidden if you donít know where it is, but Kate knows itís at the foot of a tree with a large burl at about waist height.

----

Within that selfsame thicket, Giovanna grabs on to the back of Vivi's neck as she falls.
"Thanks," she manages to say, blood oozing from her mouth. "That helped." Then, the rest of her strength gone, she collapses.

----

A short ways away, Siroko's taunt is answered with a gunshot. She turns toward the temple to find its source, and the next two shots hit her right in the stomach. Gritting her teeth through the pain, her assailant - and target - comes into focus. Zio Massimo is crouching by the inner eastern temple wall with a revolver, still half-behind the gargoyle's jutting pillar. Though his scarf and tracksuit perfectly match the wall behind him, their pattern shifting with the observer's perspective, Siroko can still see the look of frustration in Massimo's good eye. He knows he revealed himself too early. Still, he's an old pro. He's not about to let the fans know he made a mistake.
"You got guts, kid. See if you can make it over here without those guts getting sprayed all over the cobblestone." He spits on the ground. You see a little globule of saliva get hung up on a wire about a foot off the ground, too fine for you to have noticed before - and still too fine for you to see where it leads. You may know where he is now, but his traps are still waiting for you to make a single wrong move.

Wol fucked around with this message at Aug 13, 2018 around 06:51

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortify
Feb 4, 2005

PDF | Orokos | Entrance Music

In the Arena - 27th

It would be a lie to say that Roxie had never been strangled by piano wire. After a certain point you don't even panic anymore, you just disable the assailant, but to do that, you needed leverage. Turning her body to her left, despite the damage the wire causes her neck, she jams her mechanical arm into Fortuna's solar plexus, disabling the worst of the wire's contact with her trachea, then circles the arm around the woman's shoulder, resting it against Fortuna's ear, decked in street puta jewelry. Her left leg, unencumbered by armor or heavy boots, comes up to rest against the smaller woman's knee and with a sickening audible noise she drops her weight into it, braced as it was to exert leverage on Roxie. Hand still pressed against Fortuna's temple, Roxie guides the other woman's weight down, adding hers on top, and when cheap makeup and empty dreams meet unforgiving earth, Roxie doesn't stop. Fortuna's skull cracks as it hits pay dirt, and whatever spark her automaton body has is gone in an instant.

Dusting herself off as she regains her feet, she moves a hand up to the obvious neck wound, testing the blood flow - bleeding but not instantly fatal - and nods to Caelynn. She doesn't trust her windpipe very far right now.

Full Action: Acrobatics: 1d20+14 26 - Also invoking Shadowdance Armor's daily to land the kill.
Move towards the hidden entrance with Caelynn

K Prime
Nov 4, 2009

PDFII Entrance Music

"There's a problem with traps, you know," says Erzbet, leaning casually as she can against another pillar. She's keeping her bleeding arm clutched carefully out of sight. Ruins the image.

She looks at the Massimo staredown, then gestures. "Unless you really, really get specific, they only work on things that have a physical body."

Tiger contemptuously strides through whatever nonsense he's tried to pull, walks up to Massimo, and despite several attempts at shooting, picks the man up by the throat.

"There's a spirit to this all that makes it worthwhile, you know." says Erzbet. "Fair play, big fights, and keeping it in the arena. Being the best of what you are. That's what makes some fighters great, and others forgettable trash with inflated egos." She sighs. "Like you, making plays outside the ring. Maybe some of you didn't know. I don't really care. You tried to hurt my friend." Her face turns vicious and cold. "Did you forget how my brother died?! I'm going to make sure none of you ever work in this business again. From top to bottom. That's a promise."

She turns away. "Hey, big cat. I know you wanna do this your way."

Tiger nods. He roars a roar. All his fans know what's coming now.

"TIGER! GENOCIDE!"

Massimo's broken body is hurled through a pillar, and it's over.

Arcana: 1d20+11 27
Expending Spirits of Grief's Shadow to end this and Massimo.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"The Furies are making a statement here tonight! They're saying to La Familia - you're not in our league, and this is what you get for coming at us!"

After you take care of the last of La Familia, Caelynn lets the rest of you know where the secret entrance is. You make it inside just in time, even if the less nature-wise end up needing a helping hand. The crowd cheers - not quite as much as when Vivi and Siroko dispatched Pietro, or when Tiger Fury finished off Massimo, but they're happy to see you get the technical win on top of the moral victory you clearly already earned.

--------
--------

After the match, you're greeted by a focused yet satisfied Phia. She hands Roxie her phone back.
"We're foot-loose and fuckery free. For now." She falls in step as you head out. You hear congratulations from friendly faces on the way - the Jersey Daredevil, TC Bright, Lane and Diamond Trinh among them. Trinh makes a call me gesture at Siroko as you pass, and Lane gives Vivi a middle finger that turns into a wave and a wry smirk. While today's match wasn't super high profile, the hardcore fans are still around, and you wind up stopping briefly to chat with them before taking off. Robin Selik is also there, talking to a fan, and when you leave the room, they dash after you.

"Hey. Furies!" They catch up with you outside of the room, out of the fans' earshot. "poo poo got a little real in there today. This whole 'Familia hosed with Caelynn's car' thing kayfabe or not, 'cuz no-one told me anything."

--------
--------

The next time Caelynn checks her phone after speaking with Robin, she finds the expected text from Minhua.

@蔡敏華 W I T C H: "really clean work out there! i'm impressed. how's your night looking?"

A few minutes later, Erzbet hears from someone she hasn't heard much from since becoming a Crown fighter: Dorian, her ex from university.

@lordofmondays "hi, erz. sorry i haven't been good at keeping in touch. how're you, also, there's a journalist in my DMs trying to get me to talk about us"

Wahad
May 19, 2011

Everything by design.

@CaelynnRose

"Don't know yet. Have to stop by the station at 7. I'll call you."

--

"It's real." Now that the fans are gone, Caelynn's attitude has gone from cheerful winner back to grim determination. "Nobody told you anything 'cause it just happened this morning." Putting her phone away, she sighs, and leans her head back. At least they'd won. It was a victory, if a small one. Truth be told, she wasn't quite sure what she felt. The Rose Knight takes off her armor slowly. Killing La Familia without mercy had felt right, but it didn't stop the problem. They were still out there, thanks to the body double technology. They'd still gotten away with an attempt on her life. And somehow, she felt like they wouldn't stop. Especially now that the Furies had struck back.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

PDF

Coming out of the post-combat low of her sense of self trading bodies and entering into the post-match high of victory Vivi springs out of her chair with an enthusiastic cheer, dancing between her teammates and asking if they saw that and taking a second to hang off Siroko's flexed bicep, assuring her that the live burial was perfect!!

Strolling through the arena and alert for any attention to soak, Vivi throws out exaggerated posing and cheers for herself, the truth being that for her painstaking and rare victories, it's never truly an exaggeration. She's actually surprised and soon utterly delighted to see Lane, her gasp of surprise easily doubling as mock outrage at the offered gesture. Grinning maniacally Vivi returns it with a two-finger salute of her own, dainty fingers framing her smile before she brings all of her fingers up for a delicate friendly wave. Once they're at the locker room Vivi gives Robin the coyest, smuggest little smirk of a smile. "Don't you know that everything in the Crown is real? ... But I'm sure you can feel it. This one was personal. And that's. all. I'll. say. For now!"

Fluttering her eyelashes to suit an exceptionally good mood, Vivi keeps chatting with Robin without the stage persona. Or all of it, at least. "Have you seen La Familia do it before, maybe? Anything.. suspicious? Odd? Coincidental? Real lucky? Heh. Honestly, bow-outs and accidents are pretty rare these days. The benefits of modern tech, hmm? But, ah.. the real question, Robin... were you able to see me and Giovanna in that bush?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"I see everything in the arena, Vivi." A mischievous twinkle dances in their eyes, though it quickly fades, replaced by a dour expression as they're forced to face your claims about La Familia. "But. poo poo. I thought teams attacking each other on the outside only happened in unsanctioned arenas or, like, really rare circumstances. I never heard of La Familia doing anything like that before. Sure, they play into it in their promos, but that's kayfabe, it's part of the gimmick. It's not something they actually go out and do. I mean, maybe I wouldn't know? A killer does get hurt from time to time. Sometimes it's right before a match, which, yeah, I guess I don't have to tell you that it sucks. But I haven't noticed, like, people getting hurt more than normal before Familia matches."

«6 »