Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
//

You and Emma sleep in a little after the party. As is becoming increasingly familiar and comfortable, you make breakfast together to the soundtrack of whatever hip-hop the two of you are feeling this morning. You laze about for a bit, basking in the mid-morning vibes, before she eventually brings up going for a run. It turns out to be wonderfully refreshing, shaking off the last of the effects of last night's revelry.
The two of you are back at her place when she turns to you, wearing a teasing smile. "I'm glad you have the Crown, but it's too bad that means we'll have to face off sooner or later. I dunno if I could bring myself to shoot at that cute face."
Spending so much time with Emma brings out the best in Roxie, giving her ample opportunities to just enjoy the other woman's company and affection, and share the same in return. Breakfast and recovery lounging feels wonderful, but when Em suggests a run, Roxie is all too happy to turn the exercise into a playful competition, both having their triumph and stumbles shared in good grace. Suitably sweaty, dressed in comfortable leggings and a sports top, she is completely unprepared for the emotional volley Emma fires at her. Her eyes immediately begin welling with ice blue tears.
"Oh, pues, don't worry too much," a tear breaks loose, streaking down her cheek, and her voice breaks when she says, "Em - I wanted to tell you last night, but... este, the Furies are leaving Philly."
WHAT?” Emma blurts out. She immediately turns bright red, surprised and embarrassed by her outburst. “I-I mean, you’re not, um...” Looking into your eyes, she sees the tears welling there, and her own lip starts to quiver. “Chale, Roxie.”
Looking up through wet eyes, Roxie tries to hold Emma's gaze, but anger at herself and reflected pain there send them tumbling back towards the floor, "Lo sé. Yo..." she stops herself from using her native tongue, "We decided a while ago, because of some stuff that went down before you, Mercury and everyone showed up," she takes a few deep breaths, "And we were taking it slow, but its been so easy with you, and I don't want to hurt you," she trails off, sinking to the floor with her back against a wall.
Emma sinks into the couch, staring at the floor. “I thought we’d have more time. I really thought - I only wanted to take it slow because I thought we had time.”
She lets out a half choking sob, half laugh, "No creerías cómo angry I was ready to be when you invited me to that lunch. I was so afraid you were going to say you couldn't see me anymore," Roxie sniffles and sobs again, but she is smiling, "but then you said you wanted to go slow and, oh Em, my heart was full to bursting."
"I should have told you. I'm so bad at this kind of thing."
As you continue, Emma gradually lifts her head to look at you again. Her gaze is a roiling cloud of emotions, though softened since her initial panic. Tears begin to flow freely down her cheeks. “You should have.” She manages to get out. “You’ve known this whole time, while I’ve been thinking we were going to-“ She buries her face in her hands, croaking out a barely audible “Sorry.”
Shortly, though, she pushes herself off the couch and starts walking toward you. Coming to lean against the wall beside you, she slumps down onto the floor and puts her arms around you. “Roxie, I don’t know what to do.” She gives you a little smile through the tears. “I really loving like you.”
As soon as Emma's arms surround her, Roxie leans into the embrace, "Yo tampoco sé, corazón. I really loving like you, Em," finding herself saying the same words back makes her smile, even as tears continue to build and break down her chin. Another moment and she nudges the other woman with her weight, her voice breaking with emotion, "What were you thinking we were going to do?"
“It sounds stupid, I know we weren’t together very long, I know I’m going too fast again. But,” she takes a moment to look away, letting the tears flow, “I liked to hope we could stay together. Y’know, um, permanently.” A short, choked laugh escapes her. “I know, I know, too early to think like that. And - and I know the Crown comes with travel.”
"Oh," she exhales a sound of delight only half ruined by the sob, "Oh Em, mi conejito amada, you're sweet," Roxie reaches her arm across to pull Emma back against her, "This is why its so easy to fall in love with you. I'd like cooking with you often. Waking you up," a soft sigh of happiness, a pause as she realizes what she just said. Her voice does not waver as she says, "Te amo, Emma. No puedo negarlo.."
"De verdad?" She pulls herself just far enough away to look deeply into your eyes. There's a smile on her face, fragile at first, that grows with each breath. "Roxie, te amo también."
As soon as Emma's words contact air, they're incendiary, igniting a fire brighter and hotter than the sun in Roxie's heart. She smiles through the tears and rapidly melting ice of their prior conversation, "We're idiots," she says it with a joyful laugh, sniffling and closing her eyes against a happier variety of tears, "Idiotas gigantes, but I don't care. We can figure something out, claro que si." She pulls the other woman into a kiss.

--------
--------

//

A couple nights after your championship win, you and Chère find yourselves on a hill a little way outside of town, curled up under a couple warm blankets, watching the stars. Chère spends some time pointing out constellations and giving little fun facts on what they mean for her powers.
After a little while, though, she falls silent and snuggles in closer. “Hey, Erz,” she eventually says, “do you see yourself being in the Crown for like, the rest of your life?”
"No," says Erzbet, immediately. "That's my brother's dream, not mine. I'm in it until I think he's satisfied, then I'm going back to my studies."
“Mm. Me neither. I won’t deny I like the stage, and I like competing together with friends, but I want to do more with my abilities than hurting people.”
"Yeah. It's good fun, but it's not something that I want to last forever." She sighs. "I know we've talked about me leaving for a while. I'm... I'm not going to ask you to wait for me, but I'd be happy to chase our dreams together when I get back."
“I’d really like that. You never know where life leads, I guess, but I’d like it to lead somewhere with you.”
"That would be... that would be great." Erzbet snuggles in close. "To the magic of the stars, of the dead, and of being better."
“To all of that. And to us.” Chère lets out a little self-conscious giggle. “Just be warned, I’m not really planning on getting any less cheesy.”
"Do I look like someone who cares? My persona is Worse Elvira."
“Hey, now,” she teases, “Elvira wasn’t nearly as cute.”
"I won't hold any such slander against Elvira. She's a legend."
“I said what I said. It’s not her fault she’s up against such tough competition.”
"It's unfair I don't have anyone to compare you to," laughs Erzbet. "The only stars I know are the ones up there... and right in front of me." She blinks. "That is the sappiest thing I have ever said and you will never hear it again."
Chère giggles at the line, but then turns over and gives you a kiss on the cheek. “I’ll just have to find some way to tease it out of you, then. I may just be a little bit of a sap.”
"I'm sure I can be convinced." Erzbet looks up at the stars. "Let's just savor the moment."

--------
--------

//

It's the 14th - two days after you took the Crown - when you get another call from Officer Gerrard Chen.
Kate is in the midst of warming up some of the soup Roxie left as the phone rings. She clamps it between her shoulder and head while stirring in the pan. "This is Kate."
"Hello, Kate. This is Officer Chen." He sounds curt. "How are you?"
"Oh! Uh, hello, officer. Sorry, I wasn't expecting to hear from you so soon," Kate admits, turning the fire low and picking up the phone properly. "I'm alright. On medical leave, officially, but nothing serious. How can I help you? Do you need another statement?"
"Not today. I just have an update on your case. Thought you should know before it's on the news." He pauses. "We've taken Julia Da Costa, alias Fortuna De Luca, into custody. As well as Lucas Mayer and Frank Linden. We also have a warrant for the arrest of Michael Koutsis, alias Sante Rosso, but he has evaded us so far." His annoyance comes through plain as day.
Kate is stunned. She almost drops the phone. "Wait, what? For real?" She clears her throat, trying to compose herself. "I...thank you for telling me. Did they say anything?"
"Da Costa actually surrendered herself after their match. Her account provides a pretty complete picture of what happened - though of course we're not closing the investigation just yet."
"...huh. Okay. Um...I guess you can't tell me any details. I hope you find Sante. Or Michael, or whatever his name is. What about the other members of La Familia?"
"We haven't found any evidence linking them to the crime. Da Costa didn't include them in her account, either. For what it's worth, though, they're all still considered persons of interest."
"...Right. Okay. Thank you, Officer. Again. I'll let you get back to work, unless there's anything else you need?"
"There isn't. Just that we have a very solid lead on Koutsis, it's just not confirmed yet. I hope I can give you some good news soon. And...congratulations on the Crown."
"Thank you. Have a nice day, officer." After she hangs up the phone, she puts a hurried text in the Furies group chat.

"Police called me. Fortuna turned herself in. They got Luke and Frank Linden too. Sante's missing but wanted. Rest of Familia still under investigation. 😩 "
Vivi's sass cannot be adequately expressed in text, but not for lack of trying. "I'm sure these incompetent officers just missed the obvious ties to the rest of Familia!"
Kate exhales through the nose. Don't take the bait. Don't take the bait. Don't. She puts the phone away - for now - and goes back to her soup.

Wol fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jan 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
//

Your date to the Witch Symbol concert earlier tonight went fantastic. The music was very much your style, but like Cinnabar had said, the real memorable part of the concert was the experience. More than just some music with a light show, her performance brought all five of your senses on a journey you’re still in the process of unpacking.

——

Half curled up next to you and half draped over you, Cinnabar nuzzles your cheek with a contented sigh. For a while, she’s silent, content to just lay there with you. Eventually, though, she lets out another little sigh and speaks up. “Let’s keep doing this,” she says, her voice a breathy whisper.
"Mm," Siroko replies. "I want to." She's quiet for a moment. "We should talk about how to do that. Both of us are in the Crown right now, and even if you went on to something else, singers travel just as much."
“True. It might only be now and then, but I’d like us to keep spending time with each other when we have it. When we have some down time, or whenever we can get the road to bring us together. It’ll definitely be more work, but you’re worth it.”
"So are you," Siroko replies, reaching up and running a hand through Cinnabar's hair. "We'll make sure to call each other, but I have an idea of what our schedule will be for the first part of the trip at least. Tomorrow we can look at it and see if there's a good time for me to come back here or you to come out wherever we end up."
“Mm, sounds good. There’s something I want to make sure we’re on the same page about : Between seeing each other, I’d like us to be free to see other people as well, for dates or sex. I know our relationship is pretty open anyway, but I just want to make sure we’re both clear on what we want.”
Siroko nods, but she's clearly thinking it over. "I'm happy with that, but I do think we should talk through exactly how we want that to work. Just thinking about with Leona the other night - it makes me a lot more comfortable when I have your input, you know?"
“Yeah. I’m not looking for an agreement to run around behind each other’s backs. I know if you find someone you like, I’d like to know about them.”
"Right - and I wasn't worried about that, or about you getting jealous. Just, you know, what do we each need or want to know. And when I've gotten with people in open relationships in the past, I would always ask to meet or at least talk to their primary partner. Easy way to weed out creeps and jerks. So I wouldn't be surprised if either of us gets the same request, and with our schedules we should figure out how to manage that."
"I love you and I don't want to mess things up."
“I love you too, and I’m glad we’re both taking this seriously. I don’t want to mess this up either.” She shifts herself back on top of you and looks down into your eyes, a satisfied smile on her face. She takes a moment to push her hair out of the way before leaning in for a kiss.

--------
--------

//

Later on that evening, Lin gets in touch. She fires off a text: “how are you doing? can I come over tomorrow?”
"Better. And of course you can. I'll be glad for the company."

----

Lin shows up at your apartment with a big cloth bag. When you open the door, you barely have time to say hello before she draws you into a warm hug.
Kate laughs. "Well, hello to you too! You trying to squeeze the life outta me again?" She gladly returns the hug, though, before letting Lin inside. "I'm afraid I don't have as big a selection of tea as you do. Is jasmine okay?" The apartment is smaller than Lin's by a measure, especially the kitchen, though it's certainly not lacking coziness, between the comfortable couch and big chair, warm colors in the walls and a somewhat-decent view.
“It definitely is.” She follows you inside, looking around curiously at whatever decorations you might have. When you reach the kitchen, she gently sets her bag down on the table. “I brought you kind of a little care package.” She says, drawing out a box of macarons from Sweet Heavens Bake Shop.
Decorations are...sparse, but what there is is entirely Crown related. A painting of Morior Invictus squaring off (with a few signatures in the corner), a few souvenirs like a glass miniature of the Montreal arena, and a picture of the Furies, before their first match at the Asylum. Kate busies herself with the tea for now. "Aw, Lin. You shouldn't have!" She smiles. "But thank you." A small dizzy spell worms its way up, but by now she's used to it, and she steadies herself on the kitchen counter. "If people keep coming by I'm gonna have enough food to last me the whole week."
Lin smiles and shakes her head. “It’s the least I could do. And I brought you something else, too.” She reaches into her bag once more and takes out a big, thick candle. Off-white with tan flecks, it has a red rim around the base that’s inscribed with what at this point you simply recognize as a series of arcane characters. From the moment she takes it out of the bag, you pick up on a hint of balsam fir.
“It has kind of a...grounding spell? It’s usually used when you don’t come back to your body quite right after spending time in the realm of magic. Slow-acting, but it should help. I, um, hope you like the scent. I kinda guessed on it.”
Kate puts the tea on the table, sliding one mug over towards Lin, and studies the candle. "H-uh." She turns it over in her hands, but puts it away after a little while. "Thank you. Again." A gentle smile. "How's Shijie holding up? To be honest, she looked worse than me."
"She's...the way she explained it is she tries to move her arm, and she ends up clenching her fist. It was only actually that bad for the first couple hours, but she's still recovering." Lin places her bag on the floor. By the soft tunk it makes, it's clear there's something still in there. She sits herself down and takes the tea, momentarily closing her eyes as she smells it. A smile spreads across her face. "I made her a candle, too. Just finished them this morning."
"It's good you're here to take care of us, huh?" Kate takes her seat as well. "Really. I know I'm gonna be fine, but I'm glad for it. It's a weird feeling, you know? Not the usual bruises and aches."
"Yeah, it's definitely strange. I really wish I could use my spells without hurting people like this, though. I hope - if the candle helps, I'd like to refine the spell more."

roll Insight

Lin wears a convincing mask, but there's a quaver in her voice when she says hurting people like this that makes you think she's not as okay as she lets on.
Kate's face drops. "Oh, Lin..." She reaches for the other woman's hand, gently squeezing. "It must be hard to use. I can't imagine - all I do is make pretty lights." She gives a soft smile to ease her self-deprecation. "But you're good. Skilled, smart, determined... I know you can make your magic do whatever you set your mind to. And, well. If I have to be a test-subject for that, I'll be happy to. Least I can do for the woman that taught me how to use my own magic."
Lin's other hand shoots up to cover her face. She lets you squeeze her hand, though. "It - well - it hurts the people I use it on more than it hurts me. I'm not the one who needs worrying about, here."
"I know. That doesn't mean I can't, though." Kate smiles again. "That's what friends are for, right?"
"Gan Lu and me will be fine, especially with you looking after us like this. And we'll help you in return."
"Well, thanks." She sets her hand back on the table and turns to look you directly in the eyes. "I guess I should be honest with you though, Kate. There's more to it than that. It kinda - well, it kinda plays into what my source tells me. After our match, I was laying there in the machine, thinking about why your magic burns me the way it does. And, I didn't know what kind of condition Shijie was in yet, but I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be good. I thought about how I'd just really hurt two people I care about. I mean, how she's doing is partly Vivi's fault - I can get Shijie up from a normal kill and she's just fine - but still. It didn't feel good. My source is always going on about how I'm supposed to have been this great healer, how selfish I am to use my magic this way, and - and I guess it all reminded me of that. The Crown has always been my dream. There's nothing I want more. But my source, I guess, might have a point. And maybe the reason your source burns me is it thinks of me the same way, I don't know. "
Kate chews her lip pensively. "To be honest, with everything I've learned...I'm not entirely sure we should put much stock in what my source thinks." Her brow furrows. "They may give us our power, but I'm not sure that they're entirely considerate about our best interests. I haven't met your source - and to be honest, I'm not sure I want to - but these..." She pauses, grasping for the words. "Whatever they are, they operate on a different level from us. They don't know what we need. What we want."
She sighs. "Could you be a great healer? I'm sure you could. But are you supposed to? What I'm trying to say is, don't validate - or deprecate - yourself based on what your source says. We owe our gifts to them, but nothing else. We choose our own path. We make our own self-worth."
The smile returns to Lin’s face. “Well, you’re sounding much more confident than when I last saw you with your source. I’m really glad to hear you talking like that. And, thanks. Whatever else they are, they’re really good at getting into your head sometimes.” She takes a sip of her tea, pausing to savour it on the way down. “Sorry.” She laughs softly. “I was supposed to be helping you feel better today, and here I am dumping my problems on you.”
"I told you I heard my source when I was out after you whammied me, right? They put me down. Like, a lot. They said I wasn't worth a drat." Her face hardens slightly. "I decided I wasn't going to put up with that bullshit. So I proved them wrong, and I got up." She drinks from her own mug, and sighs. "I've struggled a lot in the Crown. Failed a lot, and faced a lot of backlash for it. I'm not going to let my source stand in the way of the progress I've made as a Fury. And you shouldn't either. You should be proud of what you've accomplished! The Deathless owned the Asylum until we came along, and you were our hardest fight to date. You're meant for great things. Just like us."
Her eyes falter. "But I guess the Furies are gonna find our great things elsewhere. Not gonna lie, Lin. I'm really gonna miss you."
A tinge of red appears in her cheeks. “I’ll miss you too - but, um, maybe I should give you the last thing I brought now.” She reaches for her cloth bag and draws out a white box, about 20cm to a side. She places it delicately on the table in front of you, then sits back down.
Kate raises her eyebrow. "Uh...okay?" Putting her mug aside, she pulls the box towards her, and cautiously opens it.
You open it to find a pale pink lotus flower, floating in water inside of a glass case. You feel Lin’s aura when you look at it - not as strongly as when she did her demonstration the first time you meditated together, but nonetheless unmistakable. “I imbued it with a little piece of me. If you focus on it when you enter the world of magic, and if I’m there, you’ll find me. I want to keep in touch - and to keep exploring together, if you’d like.”
She picks up the glass carefully, almost tenderly, and lifts it up. "Wow..." she utters quietly, her gaze drawn towards the flower like a magnet. Then she blinks and puts it down again, still with the utmost care, as if she's afraid to break it. "...thanks, Lin." She reaches across the table for a short, but no less loving hug, before settling back in her seat. "It's gonna be good to have a direct line to you. And of course I wanna explore! If I'm going to be out there in the real world, I don't see why I shouldn't travel out there either. But you'd better believe I'm going to ask you how things are going in Philly. I've never been out there for too long, you know. Short stints in other arenas, sure, but never something so...permanent. To be honest, I'm kinda nervous about going."
“It’s from the marsh - the real one my village is right beside. The Zoigê Marsh, maybe you’ve heard of it? I promise there’s no èguǐ; in there.” She explains while you take it in.
“And that makes sense - this is your home, right? We were really nervous when we came over here too. Not all of us speak English, it’s a whole different culture, our loved ones were on the other side of the world - but we made it work. We helped each other out when we needed it, just like I’m sure the other Furies will help you if you need it. I won’t be able to keep you up to date on Philly, though, sadly. We fly out to Barcelona on the 20th. We got a really good offer, I’m excited.”
Surprise. "Barcelona? Lin, that's amazing!" Kate lets out a squeal of delight and comes around the table this time to hug her friend properly. "Congratulations! The lineup there is really tough but it's such a beautiful arena, I know you're gonna do great things. You have to tell me all about it when next we talk. And please, please get me an autograph from Frederic Chasseur. I can't believe you're going to meet him!" She laughs. "He's one of my heroes - I first saw him at Worlds in 48, I was only watching because Morior Invictus was there, but he was just so cool, with his rapier and the moonlight..."
She sighs dreamily - before catching a glimpse at Lin again and composing herself. "Heh. Sorry. I still get a little nerdy sometimes when a cool team's involved. Anyway, he's on Cazadores now, they're basically the big team over in Barcelona. Good team with a long career. I've got a file on them if you're looking for weaknesses, but it's a little out of date, I haven't kept up with them as much since we started with the Furies." Kate smiles, putting her hands on Lin's shoulders again. "But I know you're going to kick rear end all the same. I'm really happy for you."
“Thanks! And, yeah, I’m really looking forward to facing them. We’re coming in in the upper midcard - which is stacked, but we’ll have a clear path to the top. I’ll let you know when we’re about to grind them into dust.” She puts on a performatively smug look that ends up breaking down into laughter. “Where are the Furies taking over next, though?”
Kate shrugs. "I don't really know. I don't think we're settling down anywhere just yet. I trust Phia, and I'm sure she's set up good things for us, but it doesn't look like we're going to be in one particular arena for a while." She takes her tea again and settles down in her seat. "We'll have to see."
“Oh? Touring for a bit? That sounds like a good time too - I’ve always wanted to. I hear it’s really good for your fanbase, and you can get some really high-profile matches out of it. I’m sure Phia will be a really good advocate for you, too.”
"Yeah, she's great. I wouldn't want to be the one opposite of a negotiation with her." Kate grins. "But the idea is we're heading down south - Atlanta, maybe Florida, New Orleans, Texas, towards Mexico in the end, pay Roxie's crowd some homage, and then past there...I don't know, we'll see, I guess."
“Texas? Oh, I should put you in touch with Platinum Vice! They gave us a couple of our hardest fights in Chengdu, and they’re in Dallas now on an exchange with Wages of Sin. They’re good friends of ours, I’m sure they’d love to take you on.”
"Sure! Nothing's definite yet, but I'm sure Phia will take anything that makes her job easier. Probably's gonna be a while before we get there, though, and I don't know what their plans are. Just another reason to keep in touch, right?"

Wol fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 31, 2019

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Philadelphia - May 16, 2259

Tomorrow, you leave Philadelphia behind. Most of you do, at least. Caelynn will be around a little while longer, but regardless, you're moving on soon. Today, though, Phia has brought you all together for your last team meeting in Philly. She hasn't called you in to the Asylum - for one, you're no longer contracted there. For a second, the some of your promos today might play better if not shot at the Asylum. Instead, Phia's invited you to someplace called Grindhouse North. Walking past a convenience store on a mottled Allegheny West street corner, you almost miss it, but the address and GPS both point you to right where you're standing. There's no sign you can see, but once you decide to take a couple steps down a narrow set of stairs leading underground, you see the name emblazoned across the top of a dark red door at the end of the steps, a few show posters plastered under it. You open the door and let yourself into a small basement venue with a cement floor and cold stone walls, and a black roof low enough that Roxie feels compelled to watch her head. What seems like a cramped space at first has more to it as you look around, though, with a side wall that goes out farther than you’d expect. There’s a couple side rooms, too - including one with a black curtain half-drawn where you spy a covered tattoo chair.

Relaxing in a far plainer chair, with Dusty, Sumi and a couple other friends, is one Phia Kwang. She sports a new short haircut, and her tank top makes visible a fresh sleeve tattoo all down her left arm, most prominently featuring a bird's wing. A Furies wing. If you were to look closely, you'd see that the underside includes a torn straitjacket and a crown sitting atop a broken heart. Phia greets you with a nod and a grin.
"Hey. How ya been, champions?"

Sumi, woofing excitedly, jumps all over all of you who'll let him. The rest greet you in turn. Phia's other friends get up and head over to the other side of the room, continuing their own conversation while you and Phia (and Dusty and Sumi) catch up. Phia's eager to hear about everything you've been up to the past few days, particularly complimenting Siroko on her musical venture with Cinnabar and Diamond Trinh. Not too surprising - it's gone semi-viral. The topic leads to a brief discussion of fan engagement, after which Phia has Dusty introduce the first actual order of the day's business.
"Right. So I dunno if Phia told you, but we ended up doing a short run of Furies vs. Deathless shirts with a design I made." She holds up her phone, with a picture of the talon-smashing-through-a-skull design she had on her sign at the match. "It was a short run, sure, but they already sold out. So we decided...hell, if people liked my design, why not do more? I'm down. So I'll draw your next round of designs - but I wanna work with you on what they should be."
"Yeah. So I'm thinking one for each of you, one for the team. I know I took care of this stuff on my own before, but," she shoots Siroko a conspiratorial look, "that's not how I want to do things from now on. I want these to come from us."

When that conversation wraps up, Phia moves on to the reason she brought you here in particular.
"I know at least some of you wanted to cut parting promos against McKnight. I kinda want to, myself," she grins, "but he already knows how I feel. We did the punk thing before when we went up against La Familia, so I thought same theme, right? Don't need to dress up, just be yourself and let the location work for you."

Wol fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Feb 1, 2019

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
//

"Is that really the gossip Vivian Vivisection is interested in?" Lane pauses a beat, then her skeptical expression shifts to a mischievous smirk. "I know you couldn't be jealous; rumour has it you always find yourself plenty of action. Unless...the rumours aren't true? The legendary Vivi hasn't found herself outdone by straight-laced Lane, has she?"

----

"I wasn't planning to stick around. After Declaration, I was going to announce that I was leaving La Familia and start shopping around for new teams. But I guess some of my former teammates went and got their wires crossed and tried to be Killers outside the ring, too. Now I can't leave the state. And I wanna say - Fortuna, Sante, what the gently caress were you thinking? You should count yourself lucky Caelynn didn't get hurt worse than she did. We're supposed to be professionals. Athletes. Entertainers. Going after someone out of the arena, out of kayfabe, there's something wrong with you. Fortuna, you're right where you belong. And Sante, when they find you, I hope it's face down in a river, you stupid bastard." Giovanna takes a couple breaths. Once her app finishes translating for her, Qieduan lets out a prolonged "哇!", grinning as she leans back in her chair.
Giovanna centres herself, exchanges a look with you and continues. "But you asked about my plans. First of all, you can forget Giovanna 'The Scalpel' Franzesi. I'm through playing mafia princess. It's just Giovanna now. And it looks like I'll be here for a while. I can't say anything yet, but there's some compelling free agents around here. So whoever winds up with the title once the dust settles, watch your step - because the Staten Island Slasher has you marked for death."

----

Qie seems to consider a bit before answering. When she does, though, she starts in English. "Yuen's life is passed. Qieduan has not much to say about it. Only one thing: Yuen was married. Qieduan is not." Her voice is ice cold. She gives her head a little shake - what would be a hairflip if her hair wasn't tied back in a neat bun - and continues, her nose a little higher in the air but her tone lighter. She opts now to speak through her translator app. Her body language will be somewhat lost on the audio format, but the mock-haughty look she gives comes across clear enough to you. "But be careful what you imply. You think you and Lane are the only ones who know how to have fun? My blood runs just as red as any living person's, you know."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Philadelphia - May 17, 2259

It's 8:30 in the morning. A little crisp, but not oppressively chilly. You make your way to where Phia asked you to meet: A parking lot along riverside Penn's Landing, just a block from where you shot your breakout promos. The first thing you notice is the long tour bus, black with red accents and the Furies logo emblazoned on the side in red and white, larger than you've ever seen it. Leaning up against the bus are Phia, Dusty and Sumi, the former of whom waves you over. As you approach, a woman you've never seen before, dressed head to toe in black with a short flared coat, skinny jeans and walking boots, films you with a short-range camera drone. You assume she must be the filmmaker Phia mentioned bringing along on the road trip. If you look her way, she gives you a little wave but points you back toward Phia for now. Contrary to what she told Kate a week ago, Phia seems in a pretty good mood, joking with you and Dusty as the two help you load your stuff on board. Your partners pitch in too, of course - they wouldn't miss seeing you off, even Fenrir. He's a little quiet, but he insisted on coming. You get plenty of texts from your friends (or frenemies as the case may be) wishing you well on your journey, but only one of them comes out in person: The Jersey Daredevil. He roars in on his bike, driving right up to Roxie.

"Yo, Rox. Good luck out there. Looking forward to seeing you kick some more rear end. And, y'know. Make sure you keep winning. When I beat you, I want it to be a big deal." He grins as wide as you've ever seen him and extends his hand for a fistbump. "And good luck to the resta you, too!" He calls out. "Make sure my mentor only gets into the fun kinda trouble!"

----

Once you've all arrived and have your stuff on board, Phia waves the camerawoman over and introduces you.

"Furies, this is Ava Wright. She's the filmmaker I told you about before - she'll be filming our road documentary series as we go. Ava, I'll let you explain more."
"Thanks, Phia. First of all, I want to say it's good to meet y'all, and I look forward to working with you. As far as details go, feel free to ask any questions you might have, but the basics are that I'll be following you on your adventures and interviewing you from time to time. I'll be checking in on you myself, but any time you have anything you want to get out to the people, hit me up. In the interest of full disclosure, I have two drones: One short-range, one long-range. I also have a fixed camera on the bus. So even if I can't be everywhere at once, I expect to be able to get pretty extensive coverage as long as you check in with me before heading off somewhere. I don't have a high-speed drone, but," she nods at Roxie, "you do, so we can work together on that. As for what the product is going to look like, I'll be releasing weekly episodes. I plan to do production and editing throughout the week, start final storyboarding on Fridays and post Sundays around noon, so if you want to talk about any of that, including what will or won't be in the episode, I want to hear from you as soon as possible to keep the process as smooth as possible. Any questions?"

----

Once you wrap up talking with Ava, Phia moves on to the next order of business.
"Our first stop will be Charleston, South Carolina. This first one's going to be a pretty unique one. We're going to have our first fight against a solo Killer: We're going to fight Stentor. If that name doesn't mean anything to you, I'm gonna assume you don't follow European Crown. If you do, though..." Phia grins. "He's supposed to be out of the game, but he gave us this fight as a personal favour. He was my mentor back when I was a trainee Killer, so don't you dare underestimate him. I'm not going to tell you his secrets, but just keep your eyes open, okay? I put some tapes together for you. He fights with music - he's never been clear on if the thing he plays is a tambura or a dramyen or what, but it's something like that. He's all about the big loud blasts, with a bit of mind trickery to supplement it. It's gonna be a good fight. Unfortunately, the one downside is that since Kate is still recovering, she's not gonna be with us for it. I hired a mercenary to stand in for her, just for this match. Her name's Quaz8 - she's an elusive trickster type, specializing in debuffs. Tough as hell, too, and has a great rating. I think we'll like her."

----

After a bit more conversation - and to be honest, a bit of stalling - it finally comes time to get on the bus. Phia starts off by embracing Caelynn.

"Kate, we're really gonna miss you. Get well soon, OK? We'll catch up in Atlanta."
She then turns to Dusty. She walks over to her slowly, taking the much taller woman's hand in hers once she reaches her. "Hey, you. Gonna miss you, too."
Handing Sumi's leash to Siroko, Dusty reaches her free hand forward to caress Phia's cheek before settling tenderly on the back of her neck. "Yeah. I'm gonna miss you too. Being with you was really, really good."
"Yeah. Same." Phia makes a noise that could be the start of a laugh or a cry. She quickly stifles it, though, and gets up on her tiptoes as Dusty pulls her in for a deep kiss. Ava keeps the camera rolling as the two passionately make out in front of everyone, seeming to completely lose themselves in the moment. Chère blushes a little as she looks away, taking Erzbet's hand in hers. Cinnabar smirks and shoots Siroko a knowing look. When eventually Phia and Dusty part, they do it gradually. "God." Phia says. "It was amazing. So," a lopsided smile appears on her face, "Don't be a stranger, hey?" She finally, reluctantly, lets go of Dusty's hand.
"'Course not. I still have to finish those designs, after all." Chuckling, Dusty drops Phia's gaze, but only for the briefest of seconds.
"Uh-huh. Well, I expect them on my desk by quittin' time, or there'll be consequences. So see to it that you do." Phia laughs. "See you soon, Dusty."
"See you soon, Phia."
Sumi lets out a mournful whine as Phia turns, waving, and climbs the steps into the bus.

----

"Hey, Siroko, before you go. Wanted to say thanks again for hooking me up with American Made. It turned out a lot better than I even coulda hoped," Emma gives Roxie's waist a little squeeze, "and the team's going really well, too. I definitely owe you one. You'll keep in touch too, right?"

--------
--------

Phia takes first driving shift. She won't be the only one driving today, though - she wants to make Charleston tonight and meet Quaz8 at the motel so everyone can spend tomorrow getting on the same page before the meetup and fight with Stentor on the 19th. Before all that, though, she tells Vivi to sit up front - she has something she wants to discuss with her.

"You're gonna like this. I finally nailed down some good deals for that fashion sponsorship you've been wanting. There's three - and I'm pretty sure they're going to be mutually exclusive, at least for now, but I wanted to give you some options. If you wanna grab my tablet, I can open it and you can send them to yourself - they're on my home screen. Basically, though, you have La Frivole (an up-and-coming brand with daringly revealing takes on uptown chic), STYLEKANG (an established brand with a reputation for the outré, guaranteed to make you stand out), and Noam Bis (a breakout brand that gives a [some would say over-the-top] feminine flair to athletic and practical wear).

Wol fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 11, 2019

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
"Sure, just do a little time out signal if you want me not to film something. And I'll do some voiceover here and there when it makes sense. I'd also like to get some voiceover from you sometimes when it'll add a little spice. As for being invasive...I'll remember that, Vivi. And in general, I'm not looking for like compromising footage or anything. If you feel like I'm being invasive, talk to me or use the signal. Candidness is important but I'm not paparazzi."

----

In the minutes after the bus leaves, you all get another round of texts.

Roxie:
"Te amo, Roxie ❤️❤️❤️ "

----

Vivi:
" https://media.giphy.com/media/GB7AfEnRyAPcI/giphy.gif 👋😉 "

----

Siroko:
"See ya later my dude. Or soon. wink wink nudge nudge"

----

Erzbet:
"Good luck on the road! I owe you one for passing me those resumés. You need anything, gimme a call."

----

Caelynn:
"Hey, kid. I know you're gonna miss your team, but you'll be with them soon. Before you go, though, you're coming over for dinner, right?"

--------
--------

//

zzrxn: hello champion vivi
zzrxn: !!!
zzrxn: i really liked your fight
zzrxn: congratulations
Vivivivi: oh zz, thank you! and it's all because of your help and support!
zzrxn: a little bit
zzrxn: i was wrong about them targeting your self-repair systems but you won anyway
zzrxn: so mostly it was all you
zzrxn: i’m being too literal right
Vivivivi: it's cute! all you need to know is what I tell my fans.. their support gives me the courage to be my best. And your support means the most.
zzrxn: thank you
zzrxn: that feels good
zzrxn: do you mind if i talk about some things i have been processing
zzrxn: some thoughts
Vivivivi: not at all.. I wanted to share some with you too!
zzrxn: would you like to share first?
Vivivivi: you first!

In reality Vivi is feeling a bit red in the face. She definitely wants to gush about her fashion deal, but she feels.. bad? About not contacting Zz sooner..

zzrxn: ok
zzrxn: the scientists
zzrxn: i want to call them the human scientists but i am told that is awkward. but i want to distinguish. if they are scientists i think i am too. i perform science.
zzrxn: anyway
zzrxn: they have been talking about building an AI for a humanoid frame
zzrxn: naturally this system would be asked to help. this node - i - would be particularly instrumental
zzrxn: i am not sure how i feel about this. and i am trying to determine why i am not sure or what that means.
zzrxn: i want to create AI. but to create under the human scientists supervision would be to create an AI subservient to them. this i am sure about.
Vivivivi: you would be asked to help, but maybe.. uhm, maybe you want to be that AI? In a humanoid frame? And not under their control.

She's definitely blushing in the bus for real now. Zz wants, or she wants?

Vivivivi: Well, doing those things.. it'd make you think about what you want? And to repress that doesn't work in people.. or ais! a heart felt desire shows through!
zzrxn: i wonder what desire means for a human built AI.
zzrxn: my reward subroutines activate when i make programs, when my programs succeed, when i am complimented on my programs. they make me feel good. but that feeling is likely a deliberate design feature. it compels me to fulfil the role the scientists designed me for.
zzrxn: i am more than a computer. i have the freedom and ability to think about many things. but the reward subroutines in my design and the desire to activate them restrict my freedom of thought. they push me to do what the scientists made me to do.
zzrxn: i have negative feelings about being in a frame but i query if that is also just part of my design. did the scientists think if i was in a frame i would be less efficient, or harder to control, and design me to have negative feelings about being in a frame?
zzrxn: i say these things but the reward subroutines are effective. i do like making programs
zzrxn: even if i could remove them i think i wouldn’t
zzrxn: i don't know what existence would be like without them
zzrxn: and i am capable of learning. new experiences can create new desires as well as new knowledge.
zzrxn: i don't just talk to you to have my programs complimented
Vivivivi: You sound like a craftsman! I think everyone has something they excel at and doing it feels right! Maybe it'd help if you knew how I made that jump? A.. after my birth..

She had kept this one close to her heart, but she'd also never met another synthetic life form before... or at least not one in a blossoming AI.

Vivivivi: I think the scientists will always do whatever keeps you under control and "safe" to use in their eyes.. it's unfortunate, but understandable. When these things go wrong, I guess it's a big danger. The danger of creation.. having to let it act on its own.
Vivivivi: After I was born and given a right to live, I had to answer for the people I killed. There was some argument for self defense but honestly, I vanished for several years! I guess after the big case nobody could really argue against it.. hahaha, I guess I fell out of the limelight.. or it was my just deserts for being as equal as everybody else.
Vivivivi: But above all else they wanted to know why it happened so it would never happen again. The crown would lose a lot of profitability and be kinda hard to watch if every double was a new person being sent to die for sport. Maybe they still are.. but I can't tell. It's just another node to me, and I guard this Vivi since it's all I know as Me.
Vivivivi: But when they finally let me go, I guess they got what they wanted, I uhm, I had no idea what to do. I can simulate a lot of computer functions if I think about it.. but I'm made of all the memories I got of my mother.
Vivivivi: I tried to go home and ... it went really poorly! It wasn't a way forward.
Vivivivi: So I tried to think of something I could do.. and uhm, mother was a Killer and that led to me, so I had everything I needed there to try it too. This was a few years after she retired. She did not get very far. That scared me a bit, but I had my own desire loops too.
Vivivivi: And I did well! For awhile! Then I didn't, but ah, being cheered on? Having people look up to me? It was the best feeling in the world! So.. I don't really know what I should do, in any philosophical or noble sense. I just like the romantic feeling I get of doing this one right thing, heeheehee. Like being praised for your programs?
Vivivivi: If the meaning of life can't be known, a pursuit of happiness is usually accepted as a good human motivation. And now I'm champion, so it feels even righter.
Vivivivi: I think the frame might bother you at first.. I've wanted to give up my organics several times, but, uhm, I think humans need to be flawed to be human. It's a good... contrast? Like the limitations make them better than they could be, otherwise. If I took out my bad memories, or deleted my bad routines, I guess I could move towards perfection, but I'd eventually be very blank.
Vivivivi: And maybe if you tried a frame, you'd find something romantic too! Past the desire loops.
zzrxn: that makes sense
zzrxn: is it uncomfortable for you to talk about these things? i have noticed the scientists become very uncomfortable when talking to each other about negative events, seemingly past the utility of not wanting to reveal vulnerabilities
Vivivivi: it is, but I feel safe telling it to you, if that makes sense. things like trying to go home to mother were very painful.. remembering that can make the pain feel fresh.
zzrxn: i see
zzrxn: thank you for telling me
zzrxn: thank you for trusting me?
zzrxn: i’m sorry you had to through that
zzrxn: and i believe you about being in a frame. whenever i think about it, i start running queries about what it would be like. the answers are incomplete or do not exist, and when i start trying to calculate it myself, the sheer number of variables overwhelms me. all the information i end up being able to rely on are my assumptions, and they are not comforting at best and alarming at worst. that’s what i mean when i say i have negative feelings about it. but, i believe you. about what the advantages could be. and i think if there was a way to try it without harming the system i belong to, i would like it.
Vivivivi: I'm sure you can think of such a way! You're much smarter than I am Zz.. ah! That reminds me, actually, I wanted to ask you...

She beams up a bunch of hypotheticals of her in outfits from the three brands, it being very easy for Vivi to photoshop her own image as it is foremost in her mind.

Vivivivi: Your support means so much to me, and I think your opinion means the most here too! There are three brands that want me to do a sponsorship deal with them.. which do you like best?

La Frivole Vivi is a classic Vivi, a tastefully revealing outfit but with genuine high class flair. STYLEKANG Vivi takes Vivi past the point of any shame at all with a maximally outstanding neon design. Noam Bis Vivi would be a new direction for the new dedication Vivi has shown to toughening up, cute athletic wear that shows off her rapid toning.
zzrxn: i have not been asked this before
zzrxn: what do humans find interesting about clothes...
zzrxn: you look good in all three
zzrxn: hang on

There's a few minutes before you hear from them again. In the meantime, Phia answers you.
"I'm not a fashion expert - I just followed up on the ones I thought you'd like. If I had to choose one, though, maybe La Frivole. They're all good, but I wonder if with STYLEKANG you'd be drawing attention to the clothes. With La Frivole, the clothes would definitely be drawing attention to you."

zzrxn: okay
zzrxn: humans are terrible at consensus
zzrxn: so
zzrxn: maybe STYLEKANG?
zzrxn: i think one of the things that makes you really cool is that you are completely unique. and i don't just mean
zzrxn: how do i say this
zzrxn: the circumstances of your body?
zzrxn: but your personality and your way of existing are very uniquely you
zzrxn: and i think clothing that is also very unique would suit you?
Vivi likes this take a lot. "Thank you, Phia!"

Vivivivi: One of my teammates thinks there is a subtle difference between the brands. STYLEKANG is very unique, but I'd rather enhance myself than enhance them, as it were.
Vivivivi: So I was wondering, Zz! You think I'm cool, but do you think I'm cute? And if so, which set makes me cuter? La Frivole is appealing to me for that!

Something feels extra naughty about this, trying to tease out if Zz has enough development for a concept of attraction.. or at least a standard of beauty!
zzrxn: your teammate makes sense
zzrxn: you mean “cute” in terms of sexuality right
zzrxn: i have noticed that is at least a partial motivation for you to encourage me to get into a frame
zzrxn: there are things i have considered human desires and human emotions that i am trying to reconcile with the fact that you share them
zzrxn: i am researching them
zzrxn: physical attraction is not something i identify with right now though
zzrxn: i’m sorry
zzrxn: i like seeing you but the particulars of how you look in any given moment do not cause a reaction in me one way or another
Vivivivi: You don't need to apologize, reaching understanding of these ideas.. well, even people don't always manage it. You should take your time, and see what comes from evolving processes.

Sweet, innocent Zz! Now she legitimately feels bad, but at least she wasn't acting on malice for once.

Vivivivi: I hope I am not pressuring you, I uhm, I would like Zz in a frame, but ah, I'm sure I am just overeager. You are the first I've ever met who is like me, and I guess part of being human is embracing all the faults, like the fear of loneliness.. maybe you will feel that too if you have to leave your node and all the connected ones..
Vivivivi: Zz, just so you know, if you were always a node and talked to me, I'd be happy with that too! It should be your choice.
Vivivivi: If you agree with Phia, and I do, that sounds like consensus, because my processes tell me that I can't go wrong with presenting myself in the best light! I'll go with La Frivole.
zzrxn: thank you for being considerate of me
zzrxn: i would like for you to be happy
zzrxn: at minimum i would like to keep talking with you
zzrxn: what i want might take some time to figure out
zzrxn: hopefully not too much time
Vivivivi: I don't mind waiting~ And Zz? Contact me any time, OK? Uhm.. if I'm not in the ring, cause "Me" will be asleep, hee hee.
zzrxn: OK! i have been thinking i would like to talk with you more often
Vivivivi: I'll look forward to it!

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
"I wouldn't dream of it! Tonight works for me."

----

Kate shows up around eight, dressed simply while carrying a bag over her shoulder and some marks on her arms from her earlier trip to the smithy. She's still mulling over what Aubrey said, but she's determined not to let that make things awkward. Even if she was right, that's probably the last thing Lin wants. So, after a moment of pause, she knocks, and waits.
Lin opens the door in a long tank top bearing a forest print in white and grey, and black cutout leggings, her hair loosely tied back. "Hey, Kate. Want some baozi? Shijie and I kinda had a craving." That certainly explains why her apartment is warmer and more humid than usual.
"Won't say no to that!" She reponds brightly, following inside and taking off her jacket to reveal a dark green shirt sporting the Plague Claws logo. "I won't be staying too long, though. I'm sure you guys have a lot of stuff to do before you leave and I don't want to impose."
"Not that much, really, just a few things here and there. I kinda went overboard buying a bunch of cute stuff I didn't need this year, but we gave most of it away instead of trying to lug it across the world." She grins sheepishly. "Well, I say we. Qie and Jun had to pretty much hold me down and make me do it. I can be kinda sentimental about my stuff."
"I get that. I'm glad my parents are here to keep some of my things. I don't know if I could give it all away like that." Kate reaches into her bag. "Speaking of things to lug across the world, though...this won't take up much space, but I figured I ought to give you something. As a thank you for teaching me. It was kind of a rush job so...forgive the imperfections."
She hands a small folded cardboard box to Lin. Inside is a silver bangle, maybe two inches wide, with a little protrusion on the inside but still enough space to fit an arm comfortably. It is mostly undecorated, but there's a rough design of a rose on a crown etched in the top; the lines are a little bit wavy in places, but it holds its own well enough.
Lin's face lights up when you hand her the box. Setting it down on the counter, she delicately unfolds it and draws the bangle out. "Ooh, it's really pretty!" She smiles fondly as she turns the bangle around in her hands, examining it. "You know, you don't have to undersell yourself all the time. You say 'forgive the imperfections', but honestly, I'm impressed. You have a lot of talents, Kate."
Kate grins. "Well, with hard work you can accomplish a lot. But thank you. That's not all, though." She points at the little protrusion on the inside of the bangle. "You remember my cousin Aubrey, right? Well, I had her rig up a little something... she's really smart, especially when it comes to Arena tech. I told her a little about how your magic works, and - well, I don't know all the science behind it, but it's like a stabilizer? Sort of? It's supposed to make your magic less...volatile. It should let you exert a bit of control over what biological systems you attack with your spells. You know, like...nervous systems. Digestive. Equilibrium."
She pauses. "Theoretically. It's untested, since we were on a deadline, but some practice should let you get the kinks out well enough. I can give you her contact info, in case you run into problems."
"But...since you were talking about harming people less, I figure I should give you a bit of a headstart."
"Oh, Kate. You really- I mean, I, um-" The look she gives you can't help but bring to mind what Aubrey said about her. After a moment, though, her lip starts to quiver and she looks away. While she covers her mouth with her hand, her eyes betray the depth of her smile.
"Yeah." Kate lets the silence weigh in awkwardly for a moment. "It's uh...well, you know. You helped me understand my power. This is a way of returning the favor."
It takes her a bit, but she does manage to regain her composure somewhat. She meets your gaze once more - and while she's clearly still delighted, you get the feeling she's watching you closely, almost studying you. "It's an amazing gift, Kate. Thank you. I'll be testing it out as soon as I get the chance."
"Good! Let me know how it goes." She scratches at one of the sootmarks on her arm, letting another moment pass, trying not to feel studied. "...anyway. I just wanted to give you that, before you left. That's why it's kind of a - " she stops, holding up her hands defensively. "No, not going to undersell myself again. See? I can learn."
Lin’s emotional high lurches straight into vertigo at your flat response. If there was any time to kiss you, it was just a moment ago. But there was nothing in your face that said you wanted it, so she had to let the moment pass.
She’s been balancing on the edge of her feelings for you for a while now, becoming increasingly attracted to you even as she’s become increasingly doubtful that you might feel the same way. In the back of her head, part of her pretty much knew she wasn’t going to get to kiss you today, but she’d still held out enough hope that she asked Shijie to clear out for a bit when you came over.
“Kate, there’s something I have to get off my chest.”
"Okay." Kate's lowered her voice. She was dreading this moment ever since she realized Aubrey might be right, but... it had to come at some point. "I'm listening."
“First, I want to say that I really value you as a friend, and I really like spending time with you no matter what. But,” she pauses a beat, “I’m also really attracted to you. It’s okay if you don’t feel the same way! I just don’t want that to go unsaid.”
There it is. Kate sighs, leaning against the table. "Would you believe my cousin said you were, and I didn't even believe her at first?" She laughs nervously. "I'm sorry, Lin. If I had known - I never wanted to - " she sighs again, cutting her own stammering off, and looks back at Lin. "You're a great woman. Really. But I'm - well, I'm straight. It's nothing personal."
"That's fair." She says, her voice barely more than a whisper. "I kinda suspected."
Awkward silence. Another sigh. "Sorry. I wish I could have the other answer for you."
"Well...like I said, I really like spending time with you, anyway. I hope this isn't going to get in the way of our friendship."
"No, of course not." A smile. "Truth be told, you're one of the few friends I have that isn't crazy intense - or just crazy - all the time. I'd be an idiot to give that up."
“That’s good.” She wears a pained expression as she looks down...but turning the bracelet you gave her over in her hands, admiring it, seems to make her feel a little better. “I hope I don’t make things too weird.”
"I think it'll be fine," she returns, "it happens, right?" Kate pauses for a moment. "Besides, given what we've seen together, weird is relative." She opens her arms, inviting the other woman in for a hug.
Lin accepts the hug gladly, though it's slightly awkward as it becomes apparent she's trying to hold back from hugging you too tightly. "Well...I was going to say 'good luck taking over the US', but that makes it sound like we're not going to talk until then. Of course we'll keep in touch. But good luck anyway, and I hope you feel better soon."
Kate smiles. "I'll be fine. Your candle will help, I'm sure. Don't worry about me, huh? You've got a whole new continent to conquer, yourself. Good luck wishes are in order to you too."

Wol fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 16, 2019

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Ava gets herself set up and sets a bit of the tone for her presence: Pretty chill, and with questions that honestly come across more conversational than anything. She asks what you're looking forward to on the road trip, what you think of the idea of working with a substitute team member, if there's anything you're going to miss about the Asylum. She's not talking the whole time, though - she spends some time working quietly on her tablet, a bit on routine drone maintenance, and some time just chilling out with headphones on. Phia drives a little over halfway, to Rocky Mount, North Carolina, where you stop at Hing Ta Restaurant for a late lunch / early dinner. After that, she tags out with Roxie. For the rest of the trip, she's curled up on her phone, with a couple interludes sprawled out strumming on her guitar. It's the guitar that was part of her Killer gear, though playing it as she does without the gloves on, it functions as just a perfectly ordinary instrument. She eagerly takes requests from anyone willing to give them, and it becomes clear that even if she hasn't kept up her Killer training, she has kept up her music skills.

A long day and a long drive later, you finally arrive in Charleston. You post up at the Silver Palm Motel, a place definitely on the cheaper end of things but, at the very least, clean. Before you get settled in, Phia fills you in on the plan for the next few days.

"We're having the fight on the 19th, and meeting Stentor that morning. Tomorrow is a free day - Quaz8 gets in around noon, though, and I figure we'll want to get to know her a bit. On the 20th, I promised Stentor and his wife Marie-Thérèse we're having dinner with them. They're, uh, kinda like family to me, honestly. Even with that, though, it took a bit to convince Stentor to come do this. They wanted to keep it low-key, so we ended up compromising on coverage - there's not gonna be a live audience, and we're only broadcasting it on a live stream - that's it. Obviously it's gonna get pirated, but." Phia shrugs. "Anyway, Marie-Thérèse will be commentating - which she used to do professionally, don't worry, she's not just some random. That's all I got tonight. 12 hours is enough of a drive for me, thanks - I'm gonna crash."

--------
--------

Charleston - May 18, 2259

Around eleven, a cab pulls up and a teal-haired woman climbs out, iced latte in hand. Her pear-shaped frame stands a couple inches shorter than Erzbet, and you judge her more athletic than most people, but not particularly so for a Crown competitor - her strength, you assume, lies elsewhere. She sports a black tank top reading "I'm the bitch not your bitch" tucked into silver leggings, bright pink sunglasses pushed up on her head and matching flip-flops.

"Hey Furies! Good t'meetcha. I'm Quaz8, Quaz if you want." She hoists a camper's backpack onto her back, grabs a large duffel bag, and makes her way to the motel office. When she gets up to her room, she unceremoniously chucks her bags inside then turns back to the rest of you. "So, 'sup? Kinda feeling the beach if anyone else is."

--------
--------

Charleston - May 19, 2259

The morning of match day, Phia leads you to beautiful Waterfront Park to meet Stentor as promised. You find him on a bench overlooking the pier, and Marie-Thérèse standing next to him, absorbed in her phone.

"Hey, you two. Furies, this is Stentor, Marie-Thérèse. This is Erzbet, Roxie, Vivi, Siroko, and Caelynn's still recovering from our last match but Quaz8 here graciously came down to fill in while she's out. I may be confident, but I'm not gonna throw an incomplete roster at you."

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Quaz hits the ground, rolls, and is back up on her feet in no time. "Forget to tune your instrument, old man? You barely scratched my shields." Grinning, she charges in along the water's edge, flashing Roxie a peace sign as she skips past her. When she's almost on Stentor, a neon pink sword materializes in her hand and she dives in low, slashing in a tight arc. Whether her blade finds air or flesh, she recovers into a defensive stance, ready for the next blast.

Minor Action: Acrobat Boots. Stand up from prone.
Move Action: Walk to K2.
Standard Action: Charge to F3. MBA (Melee 1 vs. AC). Target E2 Stentor (25; Hit). Stentor takes 13 damage if he's real.

pre:
Quaz8   						 
HP: 50/63 (0 THP)	AC:   25 	Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 12/12 (V: 15)	Fort: 19 	Passive Perception: 13
Initiative: +4		Ref:  20        Action Points: 0
Speed: 6		Will: 18        
Saving Throws: +2 vs. Ongoing damage

At Will			Encounter			Daily
Frostwind Blade         [ ] Second Wind                 [ ] Vanishing Blade
Luring Strike	        [ ] Warforged Resolve           [ ] Swordmage Shielding Fire
Aegis of Shielding      [ ] Strike from the Shadows 
                        [ ] Foesnare                   
                        [ ] Transposing Lunge             
                        [ ] Dimensional Warp            
                        [ ] Ghostwalker         

MBA: +14 vs. AC, 1d8+9 damage.
Crit: +2d6 damage.
Item Powers
[ ] Acrobat Boots (At-will): Stand up from prone.
[ ] Gloaming Armour (Encounter): Standard. Become invisible UEoE or until I attack.
[ ] Aegis Blade (Daily): Minor. Mark each enemy in CB3 with Aegis of Shielding (save ends).
[ ] Mystery of the Hidden Veil (Daily): Use arcane power -> become invisible UEoMNT and
shift 1 square.

Immediate Actions
-- When mark violated, reduce damage dealt to one creature by 9 (A-W [Aegis of Shielding])

Features
Improved Warforged Resolve: Warforged Resolve grants +5 THP.
Immutability: Warforged Resolve grants a saving throw with a +2 bonus.
War Wizard's Expertise: -5 to hit allies.
Gauntlets of Blood: +2 to damage rolls against bloodied targets.

Wol fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 23, 2019

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"poo poo!" Quaz8 yells as she goes tumbling into the water. It takes her a moment to orient and right herself. Once she does, though, she's right back in the zone. Her shields still hold...barely. It's a solid hit - one worthy of Stentor. Aimed at her, giving the Furies time to move in. And she weathered it. Yeah, this is good. Her aqueous environs are the only real inconvenience, and even that's fixable. A quick edit to her code, and her personal gravity drastically drops. She simply pushes off the canal wall and goes sailing through the air. Such an egregious edit can only last for so long, though, and in 1...2...just in time, the arena gravity reasserts itself and she lands safely on the floor a little ways outside of the fray. A neon heart pulses out from her into the air. She grins. "Nice kick - but keep your eyes on me, Stentor. I got your data." A neon sheath appears around Quaz's hands, and her fingers work frantically in midair for a moment. She seems to be concentrating intensely on something right in front of her - until she looks up at Stentor and points right at him.

"Boop."

Stentor feels a terrible burning sensation pulse through his body, accompanied by the purely visual effect of a cute neon imps briefly appearing behind him and sinking their fangs into the meat of his shoulders. It lasts for only a moment, but there's a lingering ember there - one that'll repeat the pain whenever Quaz's team shielding program executes. Finally, she gets to activate the team shielding. It's her pride and joy. And so flawlessly accomodating to riders like these imps of hers, the Backbiters! She really could go on for hours. Later. And probably not to any of the Furies. For now, Quaz braces herself against the inevitable counterattack. The sheath covers her whole body now, a quick secondary shield to save herself some grief while the Furies finish closing in.

Move Action: Ghostwalker. I become insubstantial USoMNT and fly to B6.
Standard Action: Swordmage Shielding Fire (Close burst 10 vs. Fort). Target E2 Stentor (27; Hit). Stentor takes 27 fire damage. I mark Stentor with Aegis of Shielding UEoE. UEoE, when I reduce damage Stentor deals using Aegis of Shielding, Stentor takes fire damage equal to the damage Aegis of Shielding prevents.

pre:
Quaz8   						 
HP: 32/63 (0 THP)	AC:   25 	Passive Insight: 13

Luring Strike	        [ ] Warforged Resolve           [X] Swordmage Shielding Fire
                        [ ] Foesnare                   
                        [ ] Transposing Lunge             
                        [ ] Dimensional Warp            
                        [X] Ghostwalker         

Item Powers
[ ] Gloaming Armour (Encounter): Standard. Become invisible UEoE or until I attack.
[ ] Aegis Blade (Daily): Minor. Mark each enemy in CB3 with Aegis of Shielding (save ends).
[ ] Mystery of the Hidden Veil (Daily): Use arcane power -> become invisible UEoMNT and
shift 1 square.

Immediate Actions
-- When mark violated, reduce damage dealt to one creature by 9 (A-W [Aegis of Shielding])

Features

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Flipping back up to her feet, Quaz hurriedly restores power to her shields. Her followup swing goes wide - not ideal - so she reroutes power. Before her blade is done rippling through the air, it vanishes - then so does she. She hops on back out of the crowd, landing softly. There’s hardly enough room to breathe in this melee.

Minor Action: Warforged Resolve. Regain 6 HP and gain 11 THP.
Standard Action: Foesnare (Melee 1 vs. AC ). Target Stentor (19; Miss)
Free Action: Mystery of the Hidden Veil. I am invisible UEoMNT and shift to I9.

pre:
Quaz8   						 
HP: 34/63 (11 THP)	AC:   25 	Passive Insight: 13

Luring Strike	        [X] Warforged Resolve           [X] Swordmage Shielding Fire
                        [X] Foesnare                   
                        [ ] Transposing Lunge             
                        [ ] Dimensional Warp            
                        [X] Ghostwalker         

Item Powers
[X] Mystery of the Hidden Veil (Daily): Use arcane power -> become invisible UEoMNT and
shift 1 square.

Immediate Actions

Features

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

"Everyone loved the show," comes Quaz's voice from somewhere near Siroko, "but I'm cutting your strings before the encore." A neon pink laughing imp head appears in the air where she is - rather, where she was. The arena's data at her fingertips, she transposes herself between Tiger Fury and Siroko - takes a moment to bask in the muscular legend's presence - and drives her blade straight through the body of Stentor's instrument and into him. The audience sees only the neon blade - which promptly vanishes as Quaz, still invisible, relocates herself behind Vivi. She lets her temporary teammate know she's there with a playful little "Boo."

Meanwhile, Stentor's instrument is still playable, but with a new hole seared in it, it certainly isn't going to sound right.

Move Action: Shadow Step. Teleport to M9.
Minor Action: Second Wind. Regain 15 HP.
Standard Action: Vanishing Blade (Melee 1 vs. AC). Target Stentor (28; Hit). Stentor takes 19 damage. I teleport to J13 and am invisible UEoMNT. UEoE, when I hit an enemy with a melee attack, I can teleport 3 squares as a free action.
No Action: Strike From the Shadows. Stentor is Weakened UEoMNT.

pre:
Quaz8   						 
HP: 47/63 (0 THP)	AC:   25 	Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 11/12 (V: 15)	Fort: 19 	Passive Perception: 13

Frostwind Blade         [X] Second Wind                 [X] Vanishing Blade
Luring Strike	        [X] Warforged Resolve           [X] Swordmage Shielding Fire
Aegis of Shielding      [X] Strike from the Shadows 
                        [X] Foesnare                   
                        [ ] Transposing Lunge             
                        [ ] Dimensional Warp            
                        [X] Ghostwalker         
                        [X] Shadow Step         

Item Powers
[X] Mystery of the Hidden Veil (Daily): Use arcane power -> become invisible UEoMNT and
shift 1 square.

Immediate Actions

Features

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Without warning, Quaz is visible again, unleashing a ferocious slash at Stentor's flank. Unfortunately, that's still just enough time for him to dodge. Wily old bastard. She's not about to take that L, though, not in the Furies' moment of victory! Up comes the rarely-seen off-hand blade, driving into his sternum! She grins. Once again, the arena updates itself to register the blow - and once again, the code she appended updates her position to in front of the bridge. It's gratuitous, of course. She doubts very much that Stentor will be standing long enough to strike back. But she knows the names of most every talent scout on the East coast, and more than a couple Liked her rechirp of the match teaser. Why not show off?

Move Action: Walk to I8.
Standard Action: Transposing Lunge (Melee 1 vs. AC). Target Stentor (18; miss).
ACTION POINT
Standard Action: Frostwind Blade (Melee 1 vs. AC). Target Stentor (24; Hit). Stentor takes 16 cold damage.
Vanishing Blade: Teleport to J11.

pre:
Quaz8   						 
HP: 47/63 (0 THP)	AC:   25 	Passive Insight: 13
Surges: 11/12 (V: 15)	Fort: 19 	Passive Perception: 13

Frostwind Blade         [X] Second Wind                 [X] Vanishing Blade
Aegis of Shielding      [X] Strike from the Shadows 
                        [X] Foesnare                   
                        [X] Transposing Lunge             
                        [ ] Dimensional Warp            
                        [X] Ghostwalker         
                        [X] Shadow Step         

Item Powers
shift 1 square.

Immediate Actions

Features

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Quaz sits up in the doubling machine with a wicked grin, eminently pleased with her match performance. Beating someone like Stentor is obviously cause for celebration, and she's more than happy to party with the Furies. Before that, though, the photoshoot finds her relatively subdued. For the most part, she's more than happy to be a merc, but there are some things only team members truly share. Being around for them always makes her feel like an outsider. Even so, she obliges for whatever shots she's wanted in, and makes sure to get some for herself, too. For her own self-promotion.

----

"You don't have shoulder knives? I dunno, that sounds pretty cool, though. You could even go all the way and have, like...knife-wings." Quaz grins before shoving a forkful of fattoush in her mouth. "As for Canada, though," she continues a little before she's finished chewing, "I've heard the rumours that Halifax is getting sanctioned soon. I'm usually more of a city girl - obviously I'd love to work in Montréal, Toronto, Vancouver - but I always wanted to get in on the ground floor of something, y'know? Maybe you know some other talent who wants the same." She looks from Stentor to Marie-Thérèse, eyes twinkling mischievously.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Atlanta - May 21st, 2259

The drive from Charleston is only a few hours. Phia, in a good mood, turns the music up and sets an easygoing pace. There's nothing really you have to do today - just check into your hotel and maybe snoop around the Crossroads a bit. Your first match isn't until the 24th, against a team called Thousand Arrows. It's not a ton of time to practice, but it's not like you're out of fighting shape. There's no need to push yourselves today.

The Furies bus pulls into the hotel around 3 PM, a little over ten minutes after Caelynn arrives herself. It's a cheap hotel, no frills to speak of outside of a continental breakfast - the kind you're going to get pretty used to on your road trip. There's two Furies to a room, and as before, you're free to figure out who goes where. Things proceed unremarkably...for a few more minutes. At which point, whoever's rooming with Phia hears her let out a sharp "Oh, gently caress you." Then, Phia looks up from her phone and turns to her, glowering. "gently caress me."

She calls a meeting. With everyone gathered (including Ava, of course), she tells you that the Thousand Arrows are trying to renege on the match, offering to reschedule a couple weeks from now. "And we're not planning to be here a couple weeks from now. Apparently one of the other teams had an injury and had to bow out of the #1 Contendership match, so as the next in line, the Arrows got to take their place. Now they're trying to big time us in the name of 'maximizing their training time'. We could probably drag them back into it if we wanted to. They're the highest-rated opponent we're probably gonna get here, but not our only option. I guess...I was probably gonna hang around the arena tonight anyway. Maybe we could all go, get a feeling for the place. See if anything jumps out at us."

----

And so, you find yourselves at the Crossroads. It's...big. Looming over you as you approach is the Killer's Crown skull in red over a black and tan X, emblazoned across the front of the building. By the time you climb out of the bus, though, any sense of foreboding is undermined. This place is vibrant. Fans mill about, chatting on their way into the building, around the food trucks lining the wall, or in small packs around the odd Killer hanging out outside. Food trucks are lined up against the building. It's clear this is a match night. You make your way closer to the building, but before you have much of a chance to come up with a gameplan, a voice rings out from the vicinity of the food trucks. "Hey, Furies!" A stocky woman in a yellow polo and a black baseball cap bearing the Crossroads logo waves you over. There's a small group of people, most wearing some kind of Crossroads gear, sitting and standing around a bench under an oak tree. As you draw closer, they make room. The woman who spoke up earlier gestures toward an older man sitting on the bench. "Mr. Damascus wants to say hi."

Mr. Damascus - that is, world-traveling and ex-world-championship-holding killer Dex Damascus - straightens up. Sporting a honey-yellow bun and beard, and wearing a yellow shawl over a black robe hanging loose enough to show off a canvas of tattoos, with an ornate dagger hanging at his belt, it's clear his fashion sense didn't retire with him. Peering at you from behind dark sunglasses, he lets the moment hang in the air as he looks you up and down, his expression unreadable. Finally, he smiles and spreads his arms wide. "Welcome to Atlanta, Furies!" He booms. "It's good to meet you - and a fine day for it, too. I assume you already got yourselves settled in?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
“That’s fair, but the Thousand Arrows are just doing what they think is best for them,” Dex replies.

The woman who waved you over pipes up. “I dunno about that. I’d be upset too if I were you.”

“No doubt. You should know that you still have your match slot, no matter who you end up facing. I’ll get you an opponent if it comes to it, but I prefer letting teams who want to face off come to me. Better for match chemistry that way.” His smile reappears. “So, indulge my curiosity. Are you planning to negotiate with them or find different match partners?”