Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hello, this thread is for the Netflix crew that just got their hands on Season 3 of Better Call Saul, which was released and aired last year.

The Better Call Saul Season 3 Thread has sadly fallen into the archives, so I am shamelessly reopening it and also shamelessly stealing the OP's OP from that thread.

It's a good television series and deserves an active thread anyway. Especially since Season 4 won't even air until the fall!

The story thus far of the backalley-grifter-gone-legit-lawyer-gone-meth-money-laundering-fixer from Breaking Bad, Saul Goodman nee Jimmy McGill, has left Jimmy confessing to his brother Chuck to having tampered with the documents on which Chuck's recent maneuver to secure the business of clients Mesa Verde depended, making it look like Chuck and HHM were incompetent and losing them the business in favor of Jimmy and Kim Wexler—but Chuck was secretly recording Jimmy's confession the whole time, so even though Chuck still seems pretty crazy, he's crazy like a fox. (deep breath) Also, decrepit but badass ex-cop Mike Ehrmantraut was all set to put a bullet through drug kingpin Hector Salamanca from a bluff across the way from his desert hideout, but he got warned off by a mysterious someone who left a note on the windshield saying DON'T.

IT'S REALLY GOOD YOU GUYS, IT'S TOTALLY NOT A BORING LAW TALKING SOAP OPERA SHOW.

So where to next with Chuck's scheming ways and Mike's underworld assassinations? Who knows, because the big news for this season hinges on the reveal that Gus Fring is going to be in it

Here's a Forbes story that discusses AMC's marketing stunt centering around this reveal, which hardly qualifies as a spoiler with them drawing this much attention to it.

NOT appearing in the new season is Walter White, so get that out of your heads right now. But he's in the behind-the-scenes 3-minute teaser that just recently dropped. It looks like they're having lots of fun recreating Los Pollos Hermanos and getting the old gang back together for another fun filled season of legal intrigue, dramatic tension, violent standoffs, protracted anticipation of characters' evolution, cocobolo desks, foil-covered walls, and beautifully shot views of scenic Albuquerque!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I'm assuming it will probably be acceptable to post spoilers since most people likely already watched the season a year ago. So I will anyway.

I look forward to season 4 and hope they do a nice farewell for Chuck and look forward to seeing the aftermath of the Salamaca heart attack.

I am also a little curious how long they are hoping to run the show for? I mean, it would seem weird for the prequel / spin off to have more seasons than it's predecessor would it not?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I won't go throwing around a lot of spoilers for the nextflix crew (Come on, Slick Goku, this is for people who are just watching it.. not that what you said is that big of a spoiler if you watched BB). But I will say I loved this season. It had some great moments. A lot of people are split on the Mike stuff but I love the Mike stuff, some of the things he does are absolutely classic Mike.

All in all: Great season and can't wait for 4.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Yep, season 3 was absolute enjoyment. This is pretty much the only series I'm looking forward to.

Allow me to repost this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Blazing Ownager posted:

I won't go throwing around a lot of spoilers for the nextflix crew (Come on, Slick Goku, this is for people who are just watching it.. not that what you said is that big of a spoiler if you watched BB). But I will say I loved this season. It had some great moments. A lot of people are split on the Mike stuff but I love the Mike stuff, some of the things he does are absolutely classic Mike.

All in all: Great season and can't wait for 4.

It's been released for a week though... But yea okay, I'll spoiler anything else in the future :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm definitely planning on rewatching this season now, it was hella good

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This show is phenomenal and so was this season. I envy those getting to watch it for the first time, and pity them for not seeing it before now.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Negrostrike posted:

Yep, season 3 was absolute enjoyment. This is pretty much the only series I'm looking forward to.

Allow me to repost this gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yum0MSXWltc

The whole scene in general was phenomenal.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I'm not sure how much darker this show can get after the end of season 3 but I'm looking forward to it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Well the whole house was on fire so it got WAY less dark.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I started watching from the start again since it’s been so long since I saw it I totally forgot what the hell is going on. Man, it’s impressive how high quality this show is. Better than 90 percent of Breaking Bad IMO.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I've rewatched most of season 3 after it's addition to Netflix, man this show's so good. By the end of season 4 we're definitely seeing Mike and Saul be very close to where they are at in Breaking Bad, I think we get right up to Mike fully working for Fring and Saul making the proper transition into Saul Goodman: Criminal Lawyer, and then hopefully we get a season 5 showing the early days of both of those lifestyles and ending maybe a little bit past Saul's introduction to Breaking Bad.

My wild twist speculations for where Mike and Saul end the season are that Mike has progressed to complete willingness to kill dudes when it's the straightest path to what he or Fring want to accomplish and they're "in the game" and Kim is actually still with Jimmy when he does the full name change and starts representing drug dealers and such, and that relationship doesn't fall apart until season 5. Probably not the wildest twists though, so I expect the show to surprise me, man this wait is gonna be awful though.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I started watching from the start again since it’s been so long since I saw it I totally forgot what the hell is going on. Man, it’s impressive how high quality this show is. Better than 90 percent of Breaking Bad IMO.

Differently equally great flavors is an apt comparison here

Cherry candy or Raspberry candy, it's still drat good

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

NowonSA posted:

I've rewatched most of season 3 after it's addition to Netflix, man this show's so good. By the end of season 4 we're definitely seeing Mike and Saul be very close to where they are at in Breaking Bad, I think we get right up to Mike fully working for Fring and Saul making the proper transition into Saul Goodman: Criminal Lawyer, and then hopefully we get a season 5 showing the early days of both of those lifestyles and ending maybe a little bit past Saul's introduction to Breaking Bad.

Pretty sure season 4 will mostly be the transition to Saul Goodman. As the end of season 3 set it up for that with no old people wanting to work with Jimmy again and he's going to have to find a new demographic when he gets his license back. Also with his brother gone, he won't have anyone holding him back, except maybe Kim.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Pretty sure season 4 will mostly be the transition to Saul Goodman. As the end of season 3 set it up for that with no old people wanting to work with Jimmy again and he's going to have to find a new demographic when he gets his license back. Also with his brother gone, he won't have anyone holding him back, except maybe Kim.

Kim swings between holding him back and egging him on. Who didn't cheer at all the Slippin' Kimmy moments? Which makes me terrified how her plot is going to end :ohdear:

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Kim swings between holding him back and egging him on. Who didn't cheer at all the Slippin' Kimmy moments? Which makes me terrified how her plot is going to end :ohdear:
Kim knows about the poo poo that Jimmy pulled with Irene (the Sandpiper lawsuit old lady for those who don't remember) and is still 100% in his corner. From what I can recall, the worst thing that Saul suggests of his own volition in Breaking Bad is getting a bunch of undocumented workers deported from Bogdan's car wash so Walt and Skyler can get it. He doesn't really have that much lower to go ethically speaking.
I also think it's so much more interesting if Jimmy actually has people in his life that he cares about while being Saul, and especially while Walt fucks everything up for him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Kim knows about the poo poo that Jimmy pulled with Irene (the Sandpiper lawsuit old lady for those who don't remember) and is still 100% in his corner. From what I can recall, the worst thing that Saul suggests of his own volition in Breaking Bad is getting a bunch of undocumented workers deported from Bogdan's car wash so Walt and Skyler can get it. He doesn't really have that much lower to go ethically speaking.
I also think it's so much more interesting if Jimmy actually has people in his life that he cares about while being Saul, and especially while Walt fucks everything up for him.

He suggests assassination multiple times over the course of the series, people really seem to gloss over just how evil Saul actually was.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

He suggests assassination multiple times over the course of the series, people really seem to gloss over just how evil Saul actually was.
"Why don't you just kill Badger?" was him legitimately asking why these people who kidnapped him and had guns pointed at him weren't cool with offing some dumbass who got caught. "Send him to Belize" and "Old Yeller" are him basically going "Walt you stupid rear end in a top hat you tricked me into helping you poison a child and you paid neo-nazis to kill eight people in two minutes why are you forcing me to help you while pretending there's any line you won't cross?"

When he tries to break things off with Walt at the start of Season 5 he is absolutely being 100% sincere with no ulterior motive.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Strom Cuzewon posted:

There's gotta be a point where he crosses the line and she doesn't want to put her reputation in with Jimmy. Maybe the point where she realizes it's too much will be what drives Jimmy to go from being a criminal lawyer to being a criminal lawyer.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Kim shows up in last shot of last episode and the fanbase goes bananers

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

Kim shows up in last shot of last episode and the fanbase goes bananers

I'm thinking Gene has to be desperate enough for human connection, probably spurred on by health issues, that he gets Kim to come see him in Nebraska, or goes to see her himself. She'll have moved on and has kids with some other nice and normal guy, but they go out and do one last minor con together before they part.

For maximum symmetry, they run the heart attack con that Marco died doing or a variant thereof that involves Gene having a health scare, only Kim leads the guy to him and Saul/Gene actually dies doing it filling the Marco role, but he does it with a smile on his face.

Hire me Gilligan.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rip chuck

https://twitter.com/MJMcKean/status/983330247188742146

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

If anyone knows how to deliver sick burns it's Michael McKean

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Since season 1 I figured that eventually Chuck’s firm will want to retain his last name and suppress Jimmy from using it. He’ll get some kind of payout. Other side is he doesn’t use it out of shame.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Kim developing an opioid addiction after her car accident ("always the good stuff") is probably Jimmy's gateway to the drug trade and more overlap with the Mike/Gus/Nacho plotlines.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the promotional Gus stuff for Season 3 was actually kind of dumb but this is viral marketing I can get behind
https://twitter.com/ZachFB/status/985969001728626688

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ok, I'm behind everyone here, only on episode 3

and jesus christ gently caress chuck

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I just hit the end of season 3 and had netflix go to a full screen trailer park boys ad and man was that some tonal whiplash

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Well... The only people he ever suggests killing are Jesse twice and Hank once. One of the two times it's Jesse is right after Jesse assault Saul, nearly shoots him, and is running around town on meth leaving threatening voicemails and trying to burn down houses ("an old yeller situation"). Hank and the other time with Jesse are when he thinks they're about to turn Walt over to the DEA.

All three times, he's visibly uncomfortable making the suggestion and drops it immediately.

He also was horrified and tried to cut ties with Walt after he found out that he poisoned a child and made Saul an unwitting accomplice.

So he's certainly evil in a cowardly, greedy sense, but he only suggests violence in pretty extreme and defensive situations. That pales pretty hard in comparison to what half the rest of the cast is up to.

Blind Pineapple posted:

Kim developing an opioid addiction after her car accident ("always the good stuff") is probably Jimmy's gateway to the drug trade and more overlap with the Mike/Gus/Nacho plotlines.

You actually might really be on to something here. Nacho's side business with the squat cobbler guy was Oxycontin, and there's that whole thing about Nacho having more dealings with Saul and then getting killed.

Am I the only one who's really bored with the Gus/Mike stuff, despite liking the characters? Mike's season 3 was this really weird mix of jumping between hammering the audience with callbacks to Breaking Bad and hammering the audience with the intriguing, suspenseful 'mystery' of who's following him and why.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 7, 2018

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
The Gus/Mike stuff does strike me as a bit... self-important? It's incredibly fascinating to watch, from a creative standpoint, but in terms of what it accomplishes as far as story goes, yes, the Mike/Gus scenes have this deliberate pacing that feels more nostalgic for the gentle but steady descent of Walter White as opposed to the deep-end plunge that is Jimmy McGill. It's very much trying to have their cake and eat it too, but these people are the best in the business and what they produce is entrancing, if only for meta reasons. I do hope they tone it down a little in Season 4 to give, for want of a better metaphor, more getting to the loving, but for a season that centered around the complete destruction of the main antagonist and an introduction of Gus Motherfucking Fring, build up is only natural.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
They should figure out how to end this show soon, the plot is a complete drag now.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Can't wait for another 10 weeks of that awful take.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like to watch Mike meticulously plan crimes, and I hope he plans many more

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Pedro De Heredia posted:

They should figure out how to end this show soon, the plot is a complete drag now.

lmao i've never seen a wronger take about a piece of media and we have a whole subforum that defends the star wars prequels.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pedro De Heredia posted:

This is a thread for Better Call Saul. This isn't the Breaking Bad thread from 2013. Hope the helps.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I gotta' tell ya': I have an older sibling that's just like Chuck. And this poo poo is so true-to-life it gets crazy hard to watch.

I mean, it's a little different because Jimmy is a con artist and deserves to be mistrusted, but still. All that familial poo poo is just... whoa.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I didn't realize this was up on Netflix until last week, just finished getting caught up. Holy poo poo, this show is amazing. Stray thoughts in no particular order:
Vince Gilligan is an amazing director, in addition to being a world class showrunner.
I love Nacho.
Odenkirk deserves all the praise he gets.
Michael McKean is out of this world good.
Howard Hamlin is the best dressed man on TV.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Season 4 start date is August 6th.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

:toot: I am so loving pumped.

Also, Balki Bulky, seeing you post reminds me of how we don't have any more Leftovers to watch, unlike last year, when we had it, BCS, AND Twin Peaks.

2017 for tv was incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Which means by October something interesting will happen on screen!

• Locked thread