Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Yu-Gi-Oh will soon overtake baseball

good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Now I am curious what the japanese translation calls the prince (and even at this point, they should have known he was a pharaoh already)
Because 'Yami' sure as hell is not his true name.

Also the music is also pretty good for this game

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
you're allowed to input your own name, i just put in "Yami"

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
I actually think you can lose to Seto here and it won't give a game over. I'm not 100% sure, but if they do that it's probably the one shred of mercy you're gonna get, because I've had Seto use a spell card or two, and big ones, too.

Also, I think the reason lethal conflict gets handled with card games is because the card game is just a gameplay representation of the actual conflict. The monsters on the cards are actually real and can be conjured for real in-universe, so when you're playing friendly matches with the villagers, it's just cards, but if you're playing Heishin, he's bringing them out for real and you're fighting back using magic (you both have Millenium items at that point in the story as well, so easy justification.) But the card game is still the interface the player works with in either case. Which is actually a pretty neat detail if that's the intention of the writers. Of course then you have to ask why there are machine monsters if the idea of a machine hasn't been invented yet, and where to fused cards come from, etc.

...but it's still total bullshit to get a game over for losing to a villager.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i doubt anyone on the dev team thought about it as much as you are, ephraim

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Of course ancient egyptians using the trading cards is still 'what'

you're allowed to input your own name, i just put in "Yami"

I stand corrected

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Another thing to complain about here: the translation. It's mostly good, but there's this weird thing when it has to print the player's name, it constantly appears as a different line for some reason, like...

Jono: "Did you see the look on his face?
Yami."

There's no reason for this sentence to print like this, yet it does. It doesn't seem they knew how to properly point to the player's name without breaking a sentence, which is weird since that's not exactly hard programming.

Also, "Fiend Refrection #2". Which isn't even excusable by Engrish since its Japanese name is just Mirage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also, "Fiend Refrection #2". Which isn't even excusable by Engrish since its Japanese name is just Mirage.

i think they were just taking the piss with that one

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

bandit keith is my hero

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So did you get any trap cards in your grinding spree?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

SSNeoman posted:

So did you get any trap cards in your grinding spree?

no, not one

Monk E
May 19, 2009
This video brought up one of the things that I remember bugging me about the game when I tried to play it, none of the enemy decks feel particularly unique most of the time their just random level appropriate stuff with 2 or 3 signature cards so they feel kind of samey which is an issue in a game thats already quite repetitive.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
The computer players in FBM and the first two gameboy games actually have their decks built by taking a pool of cards dependent on the character, and randomly selecting 40 of them, with some cards being more likely to appear than others. This is why a CERTAIN OPPONENT later can potentially get four copies of the same card (impossible for the player). I'm actually shocked Weevil never pulled out a Jirai Gumo for you, though, that card's one of the reasons Weevil is a hurdle for anyone that hasn't used the Flame Cerberus fusion.

Also, I can't claim to know how much forward planning there was, but I doubt Takahashi developed the card game enough to the point that he actually thought out how the duels themselves were to be written, because YGO wasn't originally about cards and cards alone - he even tried to move away from it with that crappy dice game which was dead on arrival because Takahashi is a writer, not a game designer. This is why you hire gaming people for the gaming part of your gaming manga, which has in fact happened in the past.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
That was a pretty great dinosaur Weevil used there.

No really, that model was great for PS1 times.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Ephraim225 posted:

Also, I can't claim to know how much forward planning there was, but I doubt Takahashi developed the card game enough to the point that he actually thought out how the duels themselves were to be written, because YGO wasn't originally about cards and cards alone - he even tried to move away from it with that crappy dice game which was dead on arrival because Takahashi is a writer, not a game designer. This is why you hire gaming people for the gaming part of your gaming manga, which has in fact happened in the past.

I quite liked dungeon dice
even if the way that duel ended was better in the anime than the manga and the HP system was better than another ATK/DEF setup

and whether or not he had help designing the game in the manga (and he certainly took notes from the real life game once battle city started)
he wrote better duels than a lot of the later show writers

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i think the newer shows/manga are far better in terms of consistency in character development and duels, and i don't miss kazuki's direct involvement even a little

the series' post-GX have core themes and interesting characters and all that poo poo, even if they clearly struggle from being an episode-a-week affair that come out well before the card game can catch up

the most complex character in original YGO is kaiba and he's just egotistical and eccentric

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I will admit character wise, the later shows stand out more.
It helps when you have a core group of friends who can all duel.

But I do miss Kazuki's interesting ideas for duels itself. I suppose it helps when you have less duels to write out, but each one felt unique in its own way and there were a lot less filler/onehitwonder cards.
(Though deck consistency was better later on, given that archetypes become more of the norm, but even then the later YGO Protags always end up with bloated decks and you end up with duelists who duel with CURRY CUPS)

regardless both are more interesting to watch than these duels where everyone seems to have whatever monster

But I can see why the animations draw people in.

edit: speaking of which, what even are the traps the enemy gets
if they arent gonna use them?

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Apr 17, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I always thought that the developers missed a trick in marketing - I'd have bought the hell out of a plastic/wooden replica of the Millennium puzzle - it wouldn't even have to be Yu Gi Oh fans buying it - a physical puzzle would need to be designed, certainly, but it has appeal outside the core demographic and could be fun to assemble.

also I personally find it funny how mad you sound all the time during this LP - you can really tell you hate this game with a passion.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 17, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

DeafNote posted:

edit: speaking of which, what even are the traps the enemy gets
if they arent gonna use them?

They're all Fake Traps

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

they have a ton of traps that lower your monsters' atk, but yes, they also have fake traps

BioEnchanted posted:

I always thought that the developers missed a trick in marketing - I'd have bought the hell out of a plastic/wooden replica of the Millennium puzzle - it wouldn't even have to be Yu Gi Oh fans buying it - a physical puzzle would need to be designed, certainly, but it has appeal outside the core demographic and could be fun to assemble.

also I personally find it funny how mad you sound all the time during this LP - you can really tell you hate this game with a passion.

i do everything passionately

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

i'll cut you down to size!

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Oh yeah Shadi sure seems like the guy who'd be up for a cardgame tournament

also dont remind me about Duel Links.
Not that stuff has even infected the shows.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

I like how Maxie's prosthetic eye gets magically ripped out of his skull and his reaction is just "Oh dear." I mean, a glass eye just fills space in the socket, but he can actually see through that Eye. It has to be connected directly to his brain somehow, or at the very least to his ocular nerves. How is he not rolling on the ground screaming in agony? The manga would've totally had him rolling around screaming in agony.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Raitzeno posted:

The manga would've totally had him rolling around screaming in agony.

this sentence is very correct

DeafNote posted:

Oh yeah Shadi sure seems like the guy who'd be up for a cardgame tournament

shadi's all about having fun and chilling out at the schoolyard

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is Legacy of the Duelist that good? It seems like a gigantic rip-off that's far more expensive than it has any right to be due to its extreme, completely unjustifiable amount of paid DLC. And you wanted MORE of that?

Do you work for Konami or something?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is Legacy of the Duelist that good? It seems like a gigantic rip-off that's far more expensive than it has any right to be due to its extreme, completely unjustifiable amount of paid DLC. And you wanted MORE of that?

it's a 1 to 1 simulation with around 6000 cards (pre-DLC), and it pretty much throws said cards at you, so you can forego grinding and have fun making decks

i also played it around 20 hours without the dlc, and it was 20 bucks, so yeah, i'd say it was worth it

when compared to the price of the real life card game, i think it's pretty reasonable

sure, it won't ever receive cards i really like, like Dimension Guardian, but it has enough for me at least

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Blaze Dragon posted:

The dlc is a bunch of little stories for people who really, really like certain parts of the anime or want to run the specific decks they bring to the game and can be safely ignored.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well we have a certain Dueling simulation program that has every goddamn card. Even ones that havent been released yet (just announced) or never reached the TCG.
But I can understand if you want the established game progression of earning your cards.

As for duel links its cool, and the cherry picked card releases means that the game doesnt get as degenerate like the T/OCG gets sometimes.
It's got really slow card progression though, and a hell of a lot of grinding. It's a mobile game though, what can you expect

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now's probably not the best time to tout Duel Links' card pool, given that we might as well be in the second tier 0 format in a row. PVP's close to unplayable because it's 90% Sylvans taking 40 years to take a turn. And the next set brings in Spellbooks searching half a dozen times a turn.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 30, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

if we're playing the YGOPRO card, YGOPRO still has more bugs than Legacy of The Duelist

also the AI in legacy of the duelist can't ragequit on me

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Now's probably not the best time to tout Duel Links' card pool, given that we might as well be in the second tier 0 format in a row. PVP's close to unplayable because it's 90% Sylvans taking 40 years to take a turn. And the next set brings in Spellbooks searching half a dozen times a turn.

Which is why I hang out in the pee-wee tiers (no higher than gold) and any time i get close to platinum, I run a deck dedicated to auto-suiciding and dropping down the ranks quickly. It's also how I get the ranked duels rewards despite not making KoG.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You ever seen an upside-down Golden Pyramid?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

All the yugioh games have amazing goddamn music. The only reason i enjoyed a lot of Konami budget and tie-in games is music.

And there is ritual support. A lot of ritual support.
Generic ritual spell and mosnter search, monsters that give effects if tributed for rituals, and recently a literal one-card ritual enabler.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 5, 2018

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All the yugioh games have amazing goddamn music. The only reason i enjoyed a lot of Konami budget and tie-in games is music.

And there is ritual support. A lot of ritual support.
Generic ritual spell and mosnter search, monsters that give effects if tributed for rituals, and recently a literal one-card ritual enabler.

Something I've noticed about games and fictional media in general is that -no matter how terrible the overall product is- the composers seem to be having an absolute blast.

I play a lot of ritual monsters, and they're my favorite type of card, I was mostly attempting to be self-depreciating. I know the wonders of Advanced Ritual Summon and pre-pre-pre-pre-pre-preparation of rites.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Something I've noticed about games and fictional media in general is that -no matter how terrible the overall product is- the composers seem to be having an absolute blast.

I think it's because the music is very divorced from everything else - the story and gameplay can suffer from each other sucking - a poorly designed bossfight means that the player may stop caring about passing it and not give a poo poo about the rest of the story, or a bad story can make the player totally uninterested in the first place. The music however, is it's own beast. Screw whatever everyone else is doing, the composer is there for one reason - to set a mood.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
yeah the latest Yugioh show was absolute garbage after a while

still got the soundtrack

also useless fusion monsters have some use actually
thanks to Instant Fusion, they can be free fodder for synchro, XYZ or Link Summons! :suicide:

(also using Fusion Weapon on Dark Flare Knight, when Dark Flare Knight's effect is to die. Thats some psychological warfare right there)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

DeafNote posted:

still got the soundtrack

also useless fusion monsters have some use actually
thanks to Instant Fusion, they can be free fodder for synchro, XYZ or Link Summons! :suicide:

(also using Fusion Weapon on Dark Flare Knight, when Dark Flare Knight's effect is to die. Thats some psychological warfare right there)

Mirage Knight's effect banishes him, i think, but you can use dark flare knight for actual battle even if you're not meant to

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

one of my farming decks in duel links uses dark flare knight, though that's really just to have an extra boost with union attack.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Any chance you could get Labyrinth Wall yourself or is that also a 9999999 star chip monster? That seems like the ultimate wall in this game.
Speaking of which I have Labyrinth Wall, Magical Labyrinth and Wall Shadow irl which I like, despite it being a crap monster :(

Apparently you need to win with a TEC style victory against "high level" opponents to get magic and trap cards. Which means you need to get them to bottom out their deck and make sure they fuse only once. So you need to find a deck of monsters with high base stats, bait an opponent into fusing once, then continually destroy their cards to prevent them from fusing more monsters. You also need to make sure to keep your monsters attack power high to discourage AI from fusing while playing ONLY ONE card per turn. GAMEPLAY! :suicide:
Using magic and trap cards apparently also increases the chance?

oh and also you cannot choose to activate trap cards. If you put one down and the condition is met, that poo poo is fired off automatically.

DeafNote posted:

Are you talking about VRAINS? What's wrong with it?

And if OP is cool with it, I wanna hear about people's gimmick decks! Post that poo poo yo!

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

SSNeoman posted:

Are you talking about VRAINS? What's wrong with it?

And if OP is cool with it, I wanna hear about people's gimmick decks! Post that poo poo yo!

I meant ARC-V. VRAINS doesnt even have a soundtrack release scheduled yet (despite it using the same guy from DM)

also I never had much gimmick decks, I only started playing once archetypes started to dominate
Gravekeepers being my old passion

• Locked thread