Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Fortnite is a game created by Epic that has 2 different games built into it Battle Royale (PVP) and Save the World (PVE).

:siren: as soon as you create an Epic account, set up 2 factor authentication :siren:
Server status link: https://status.epicgames.com/
Patch notes: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news
Stats and Mission DB: https://stormshield.one/
Official development trello
https://trello.com/b/Bs7hgkma/fortnite-community-issues

Battle Royale is FREE TO PLAY for everyone on just about every platform (PC, PS4, Xbox, Switch & iOS -- Android coming soon) and can cross play between the platforms without any need for PS+ or XboxLive.

This 100 player mode is broken into solo, duo, and 4 person squad queues where you drop onto the island, gather guns, build and try to be the last one standing.
There are also limited time modes like 50vs50, Explosives, 20v20v20v20v20, Sniper Shootout, Blitz, and Silencers which rotate in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URc-c8Rio7M

What the hell is the "battle pass" and what progression is there?

Every 10 week season has level progression with daily challenges to complete. At each tier/level there are cosmetics you can earn, like emotes, backpacks, skins, and more.
The battle pass is a :10bux: pass for the season that enables you to get significantly faster XP and significantly more of the cool skins and cosmetics for that season. Each pass contains enough vbux (the game's micro currency) to buy the next season's pass if you reach tier 97.

When you start out in BR, your character skin rotates between several base ones until you change it to one of the battle pass or item shop skins

Where can I play this game with other goons?
Most popular and active group is Serious Overchill - https://discord.gg/srsoc

There are several other much much less active discords to try your luck:
Original PVE Fortnite - https://discord.gg/qC4Qjtf
#PCGaming - https://discord.gg/MCQvh79

I've got my squad, now what?

Drop on in!

Hottest/Fastest shoot and loot locations will be the first place the bus flies over, Tilted Towers, and whatever the weekly season pass chest and kill locations are.
Loot comes from chests, supply drops, or on the floor. Best loot comes from supply drops, with some exclusive to them.

There are a variety of weapons under each archetype. The "quality" progression is grey -> green -> blue -> purple -> gold/orange
Some weapons only have marginal gains between each quality tier (purple SCAR and gold are near identical), so don't worry too much about it's quality as you are clicking on the person's head.

More tips on getting good:

Duct Tape posted:

Learn to pick your fights. Remember, you don't win by racking up the kills. The sole victory condition is being the last one left alive, so do everything you can to make that happen. Engage when you have no choice, can guarantee a kill, or it's otherwise really advantageous to kill that specific person. Once a fight starts, it's usually better to see it through than run away, unless you feel confident you'll be able to lose them.

Get a handful of chests early, and arrange your inventory to be in the same order each game (for me, 1 is always Shotgun, 2 is assault rifle, 3 is misc, 4 is sniper, 5 is health item). Accidentally pulling out the wrong item can lose you a fight.

Gather at least 300 wood as soon as you can, and make sure to replenish it when you drop below that level. More resources is always better, so keep look for more even if you already have a ton. Also, if you are in a precarious place, don't give away your position by destroying a tree. Leave 1 hit left on it and move on (it still shakes when you hit it, but that's not as obvious as a tree disappearing).

Skirt the edges of the storm, but be sure to give yourself a couple minutes clearance for the next storm (in case you get stuck in a fight on your way to the circle). Approach inner circles from the safest side, usually the one closest to the edge of the map.

Venuz Patrol posted:

also get used to rapidly switching weapons during fights. reloading without cover is a death sentence, so it's better to switch to a new weapon even if it's slightly less effective for the situation if it lets you keep firing

the more important factor imo is the proximity to the high density locations, primarily tilted towers and retail row, but also including pleasant park, salty springs, and greasy grove. as a result, the northeast area of the map tends to be safer even closer to the center, whereas west and east can be extremely dangerous

Where can I watch some good streams?
Kraftyy (thread favorite)
Dr Lupo
Ninja
Dakotaz
CDN the 3rd

AAB fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Save The World Mode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlaOaHvabH0

Stolen from the previous thread

quote:

First announced by Epic Games 6+ years ago Fortnite is finally coming out. The gist is that 98% of the worlds population suddenly disappeared, and to make things worse bizarre purple eldritch storms started sweeping across the planet depositing waves of various monsters to kill the people that are left. You play stylised survivors in a stylised world trying to stay alive.

You play in third person with each character having three abilities, similar to the Mass Effect multiplayers. Each mission has your group dropped into a randomly generated map based on rural/suburban/city etc biomes. You run around scavenging building supplies, searching for crafting materials, rescuing survivors and doing various other mini missions before doing the main objective. This objective pretty much always involves building a base to withstand waves of attacks but sometimes is a little more complicated, like building tracks to shuttle supplies from one point on the map to another while also withstanding waves of attacks, or a little simpler like just rescuing enough survivors or merking enough enemy spawns.

Building is quick and simple, you can whip up a wooden stairway to reach the top of a skyscraper or a set of fences around an objective in seconds. You can also get fancy with arches, complex stairways, ramparts of stone and metal etc for something more stable and protective.

Besides missions each region also has you building an outpost. These are permanent buildings that you have to periodically protect to advance through the game, these are the games toughest challenges and where proper building is most important. Traps, chokepoints, sniping towers, ways to move quickly around the fort, upgraded walls, it all matters way more here than on field missions.

It's also a loot game. There are tons of different weapons, characters, survivors, traps, skills etc that you can unlock and just about everything can be upgraded. Weapons, resources and ammo can be dropped and shared with other players but weapons will eventually break. Unlocking a weapon also unlocks the schematic for it so you can build new ones though.

I don't have any friends - Pick up group play with randoms is perfectly possible but a group of players with headsets is probably needed to do the very toughest missions. You can place AI Defenders on the map to help defend, and with a few levels and a decent weapon they are actually pretty handy. The weapon you give them and any leftover ammo gets put back into your inventory after the mission so go wild with them but keep in mind they can die and may need to be picked up now and then.

Characters - There are tons of characters, all one of four classes with various different looks and randomly chosen abilities and skills. Rarer characters have more of these abilities and skills but it's possible to take any character to max with enough time.

Tei posted:

Generic advice for new players:

Save The World.
- Build a list of people you have fun playing with. Its a better game when you play with like minded people. Even another warm body you know you can trust is better than be left to the randomness of randoms.
- Don't build the stop the husk. Thats the wrong mindset. And don't build with torret defense games in mind. This is not a torret defense game. Build so that defenders are happy defending. You are building fortress, and the players are the ones defending it. Make their work easy.
- If somebody build something that seems stupid. Wait to see how it works in actual combat. Some people have weird building styles that do work. If it don't work, fix with your resources. Getting into a fight to build "right" will just waste everyone mats.

Father Wendigo posted:

- When starting out, don't worry about building the cool new Blue/Purple/Gold weapon you just got, because you can coast pretty far on Grey/Green weapons in the first Biome. Blue+ weapons tend to use resources that are harder to come by. Conversely, traps have a flatter resource sink.
-You may notice people in chat asking to trade. Ignore them.
-Recycle Worn-Out Weapons! Recycling weapons gets you back valuable resources that you'd otherwise have to waste time on a mission to get. If the weapon breaks, you get nothing. The higher the rarity, the more and better materials you'll get for recycling. And don't worry about recycling the awesome Purple/Gold rear end-scratcher you just found, there's always another dragon to chase. Speaking of which...
-You'll get a lot of gear when out on missions. You might want to save traps for your Base if they're Blue+. Conversely, you'll find a ton of weapons that are usually worn to the point of breaking. Feel free to use those for the mission, then recycle them for materials.
-In the far North of the Stonewood Stormshield is a soccer field. You're a terrible person if you don't preserve it like the treasure it is.
-When you max out your wood/brick/steel after a mission, it never hurts to place or upgrade some new floors around your Base Stormshield.

AAB fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 3, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

:siren: HOW TO GET THE TWITCH PRIME SKINS :siren:

STEP 1

STEP 2
go here: https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/twitch-prime-pack
scroll down and click this

STEP 3
sign in to your epic account
TAKE THIS MOMENT TO ENABLE 2FA IF YOU HAVEN'T YET

STEP 4
once you have seen this screen

sign into fortnite and check for the skins in your BR locker

if you do not see that screen, you need to go through the process again

AAB fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 5, 2018

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Seditiar posted:

:siren: BR and STW will get mode-specific keybindings. Targeted 4.5. :siren:

RE: STW blog

https://www.epicgames.com/fortnite/en-US/news/save-the-world-state-of-development---june-2018

Canny Valley biome coming fairly short after next season with part 1 of the CV campaign. (5.0).

Hero recruiting and schematic creating from collection book coming. With some restrictions (like Founder's stuff, I'm assuming event stuff too). Slated for 4.5, so next week?

Collection Book unslotting with 4.5 as well. Cost: 20 VBucks. In case you stamped a good one in there.

Builder Pro coming. Aimed to be in 4.5.

2 new flyer units (of which 1 is a steroid shielder), the other is the Zapper. Won't be here for another few months.

:siren: HORDE BASH CHALLENGE THE HORDE IS COMING BACK. 5.0 :siren:

It's by far the best event they've released.

AAB fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jun 22, 2018

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

FAT32 SHAMER EASILY CLAIMS FIRST POST

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Curious which weapons the vending machines will give.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I've seen both the blue tac shotty and the purple blue mini gun from when the servers were glitching people into the PTR.

AAB fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 3, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Save The World.
- Build a list of people you have fun playing with. Its a better game when you play with like minded people. Even another warm body you know you can trust is better than be left to the randomness of randoms.
- Don't build the stop the husk. Thats the wrong mindset. And don't build with torret defense games in mind. This is not a torret defense game. Build so that defenders are happy defending. You are building fortress, and the players are the ones defending it. Make their work easy.
- If somebody build something that seems stupid. Wait to see how it works in actual combat. Some people have weird building styles that do work. If it don't work, fix with your resources. Getting into a fight to build "right" will just waste everyone mats.

Battle Royale.
- Stay in the borders of the circle.
- If you don't have shields, your priority #1 is getting shields.
- Asume somebody is camping somewhere with a sniper rifle, so don't relax in the open in the middle a field.
- Learn when be aggressive and when to rat around.
- Camping is a valid strategy
- Play to beat your own records. Most of the game is luck based, not skill based, so don't get too angry if you get killed in a unfair way. It happens even for high skill players.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Played this a while back and dropped it, picked it up again yesterday and had a blast, even managed to win a game somehow, so I've got that going for me. Need to learn to build more though, I very rarely build anything except to access stuff or a ramp to get some height over an enemy.

Regarding the battle pass, is it worth buying one if you're starting playing mid-season, or should you hold out until the next season starts? When even did the current season start and when does it end?

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've been thinking of playing this game for awhile now. People play the PvE mode right? From what I've seen it got shafted by the battle royale takeover.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Cluncho McChunk posted:

Regarding the battle pass, is it worth buying one if you're starting playing mid-season, or should you hold out until the next season starts? When even did the current season start and when does it end?

If you're playing 2-3 times per week, I'd say it's worth it even if you can only get half of the rewards. You still get to do all the previous weeks challenges (week 7 starts April 5th) all the way through the end of the season, which is expected May 3rd.
You may not make it to John Wick (tier 100) but Dark Voyager (tier 70, ez pz) and Rust Lord (27?) are both super good skins.

Putty posted:

I've been thinking of playing this game for awhile now. People play the PvE mode right? From what I've seen it got shafted by the battle royale takeover.

It's been mostly backburnered for sure, but the recent patches have shown that they're starting to listen to the community re: what to do with it again. Now when it becomes super servicable or F2P is still tbd.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Putty posted:

They did get shafted. I was extra salty after reading that they started development of BR 5 loving days after PvE's launch. They're slooooooooowly making it slightly better as of late, but bringing in new major bugs with every patch as well.

They haven't done a single environmental upgrade in the 9 months it's been live. area 2, 3 and 4 are still the same as 1.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Battle pass chat - developers state that full completion is aimed on average of 75-100 hours if I remember correctly, but it seems to be going rather fast for me.

If you do all challenges, you also break even with cost of it as there are 100 vbucks as a reward for each 7 tiers.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the whole in-game tutorial locked behind the paid PvE mode?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Battle pass chat - developers state that full completion is aimed on average of 75-100 hours if I remember correctly, but it seems to be going rather fast for me.

If you do all challenges, you also break even with cost of it as there are 100 vbucks as a reward for each 7 tiers.

It's a lot faster if you play with friends for the bonus there.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

yeah, for the most part any tutorial is in PVE. for PVP, there's no better "tutorial" than just hot dropping on a location and going for it. Things and situations aren't very predictable so you gotta make due with whatever works best for you.

that said, I do wish there was a sandbox or shooting range other than the loading island thing

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

AAB posted:

that said, I do wish there was a sandbox or shooting range other than the loading island thing

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to play around with building materials and guns without dropping into a game.

I was watching a building edit mode tutorial on YouTube, and the guy kept getting interrupted by the circle and other players. He was good enough that he won the game, all while walking through how to make the pyramid into a ramp, etc.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

oh! pro fuckin tip right here :siren: rebind your build keys to something other than the F# keys.

I use:
Q for wall
X for floow
C for ramp
M4 for palate swap

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

AAB posted:

oh! pro fuckin tip right here :siren: rebind your build keys to something other than the F# keys.

I use:
Q for wall
X for floow
C for ramp
M4 for palate swap

Real pro tip: put them on your mouse thumb buttons so you can freely move while switching between them.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Neon Belly posted:

It's a lot faster if you play with friends for the bonus there.

Wait, is experience bonus cumulative for party? Say, buddy has 60% and I have 70% - do we both get 130%?

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Real pro tip: put them on your mouse thumb buttons so you can freely move while switching between them.

I dont have that many mouse buttons :negative:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Wait, is experience bonus cumulative for party? Say, buddy has 60% and I have 70% - do we both get 130%?

you get your personal +70% and then whatever your buddys's (yes some for each other person) which is a different number. I think the MAX bonus is around 200%

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

AAB posted:

I dont have that many mouse buttons :negative:

you get your personal +70% and then whatever your buddys's (yes some for each other person) which is a different number. I think the MAX bonus is around 200%

Oh, nice!

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
I see the old thread died, does anyone still play PvE?

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

wjs5 posted:

I do! Add SiDeath on PC (cross-platform play should still work) - I love playing Save the World mode.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

wjs5 posted:

What old thread?

It must not be named

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
The most fun I've had playing this game is a tie between:
Blowing AAB out of his sky penis tower thing while we were in a squad together
Getting to top 3 in a solo match and then building myself into a corner. With stairs. On the side of a cliff.

Ben Smash fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 3, 2018

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
Jumped into pve to see what had changed...not much. Looks like they nerfed the soldier with the war cry that prevented weapon durability loss, no more grenade launcher spam.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
That also reminds me of my third favorite time in this game. I was playing one of the "expand your sheild" PvE missions and I decided before I went searching for other players, I would harvest the entire area and build walls along my borders, all of them, every inch. When I brought people in to finish the mission, they were very confused. I basically got to sit and do nothing for two and a half minutes and watch some bewildered pubbies run around for 100 Vbucks.

GOTY 2018

Here's a couple screenshots.

Ben Smash fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Apr 3, 2018

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Ben Me Lowtax posted:

That also reminds me of my third favorite time in this game. I was playing one of the "expand your sheild" PvE missions and I decided before I went searching for other players, I would harvest the entire area and build walls along my borders, all of them, every inch. When I brought people in to finish the mission, they were very confused. I basically got to sit and do nothing for two and a half minutes and watch some bewildered pubbies run around for 100 Vbucks.

GOTY 2018

The game don't have glass, but you can somewhat make something like glass by making metal walls and weakening them.
With this idea you can build a box around the spawn, and without edit rights, they will not escape this.... terrarium.

If thats your thing. I would prefer them trying to help, even if they die every few seconds.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

santanotreal posted:

Agreed. It would be nice to be able to play around with building materials and guns without dropping into a game.

I was watching a building edit mode tutorial on YouTube, and the guy kept getting interrupted by the circle and other players. He was good enough that he won the game, all while walking through how to make the pyramid into a ramp, etc.

I said it in the old thread but I'll say it here because it helped me.

The new Sniper mode is perfect for a noob to learn how to build. I would know, as I am green as gently caress in this game.

Land far away, harvest, and practice building. Odds are you won't run into anyone, and if you do they won't have 4 shotguns to spam you with.

The engagements happen slower, so you'll have time to actually plan what you want to build. That said, spamming stairs is always effective.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Bottom Liner posted:

This is terrible imo. I find it much easier to keep track of others/my crosshair when I don't have to use my thumb to press buttons instead of stabilizing my mouse. Even the most die hard streamers/players usually only use 1 maybe 2 buttons from their mouse (excluding Fire/ADS).

E: It's not really stabilizing I guess, it just feels weird to me. I'm sure it can be accurate as well but I'd much rather just press a button on my keyboard (and isn't somewhere around the F keys either).

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 3, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've was trying to train myself to use the two thumb buttons on my mouse but it really wasn't working for me. Setting the build buttons to closer to WASD really worked for me though and improved my play a lot.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Seditiar posted:

This is terrible imo. I find it much easier to keep track of others/my crosshair when I don't have to use my thumb to press buttons instead of stabilizing my mouse. Even the most die hard streamers/players usually only use 1 maybe 2 buttons from their mouse (excluding Fire/ADS).

E: It's not really stabilizing I guess, it just feels weird to me. I'm sure it can be accurate as well but I'd much rather just press a button on my keyboard (and isn't somewhere around the F keys either).

My hand is too spazzy in most situations that I’ll end up hitting those side mouse buttons by accident, getting me killed. Much better for me to remap to around WASD

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
I wish they released a new map for BR already.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Tei posted:

Save The World.

- When starting out, don't worry about building the cool new Blue/Purple/Gold weapon you just got, because you can coast pretty far on Grey/Green weapons in the first Biome. Blue+ weapons tend to use resources that are harder to come by. Conversely, traps have a flatter resource sink.
-You may notice people in chat asking to trade. Ignore them.
-Recycle Worn-Out Weapons! Recycling weapons gets you back valuable resources that you'd otherwise have to waste time on a mission to get. If the weapon breaks, you get nothing. The higher the rarity, the more and better materials you'll get for recycling. And don't worry about recycling the awesome Purple/Gold rear end-scratcher you just found, there's always another dragon to chase. Speaking of which...
-You'll get a lot of gear when out on missions. You might want to save traps for your Base if they're Blue+. Conversely, you'll find a ton of weapons that are usually worn to the point of breaking. Feel free to use those for the mission, then recycle them for materials.
-In the far North of the Stonewood Stormshield is a soccer field. You're a terrible person if you don't preserve it like the treasure it is.
-When you max out your wood/brick/steel after a mission, it never hurts to place or upgrade some new floors around your Base Stormshield.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
what happens if you can't unlock some of the rewards in the battle pass before the season ends?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

keyframe posted:

I wish they released a new map for BR already.

No. Please no new map ever. New maps is where BR games go to die.

all the ladies say I
Aug 24, 2005

Acción de Espionaje Táctico
Give us a special (are they weekly?) mode with a small map that's just tilted towers copy pasted to be bigger. It's fun to fight there even if I'm not usually good enough to make it out.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Veritas posted:

what happens if you can't unlock some of the rewards in the battle pass before the season ends?

You don’t get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Veritas posted:

Don't worry, you buy your way to the end for only $1 per level!