Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The date announcement seems to be going....poorly so maybe it'll mean a much more scaled down experience with much fewer people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

Welcome to Ren-Con, we even have turkey legs

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

RevKrule posted:

The date announcement seems to be going....poorly so maybe it'll mean a much more scaled down experience with much fewer people.

Yeah a lot of the industry people who would be there as guests are mad.

Alan Smithee
Jan 3, 2005

people are mad about sac anime too

maybe SDCC guests this year will be James Woods, Rob Schneider, and Gina Carano

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's actually mostly not a pandemic thing directly, it's the Thanksgiving part.

A lot of them expect Thanksgiving to be the first family holiday they can get together again. Plus Thanksgiving is expensive as hell to travel.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah, Sac Anime is a little different because they're shutting down an active vaccination site to hold that. The SDCC blowback is definitely over the fact that it's Thanksgiving which, while not great, is as good a date as any but for some reason people want to see their families. Stupid families.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It also ties the hands of vendors and stuff because they prioritize returns, so if they skip this one that's back of the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Honestly, I'm real interested in seeing how this goes if for no other reason, I think the rona killed megacons. There's no way they can pack people in as tightly so they're gonna absolutely have to scale down and on top of that, I wouldn't doubt if there's serious price increases. Not the normal like $10-20 increase we've seen year over year at SDCC but like $100 or so to cover costs.

On top of that, I'm sure a lot of geeks developed at least some agoraphobia. Mix all that together and I'm curious who can survive.