Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
July 18-22

The old thread died. Does the ridiculously long OP need to be revived?

Anyway, hotels tomorrow, April 4 at 8am PT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Reserved just in case.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Oh thank god. I was fearing no one else would join me in my misery of missing out on a downtown hotel tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/AceParking/status/980894336949788672
Also parking lottery has started. They're requiring a credit card with each entry, my guess is they're hoping to limit shill entries. Little do they know, I'm irresponsible with money and have many credit cards.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Got in almost immediately so we'll see how that goes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Lucky. I didnt finish until 9:14. My friend finished at 9:06, hopefully he got in.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Lucky. I didnt finish until 9:14. My friend finished at 9:06, hopefully he got in.

Supposedly they go by form access time now rather than completion time. I got super lucky last year and didn't participate in hotelpocalypse so I can't say. I took forever filling out the form this year because I recently moved so I kept loving up my address so fingers crossed they really are going by access time.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
aaaaand I missed the hotel sale.

Just realized it.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I did the earlybird sale. I'm always a bit worried I won't get a spot in the hotel sale proper. What were the rates like? Was it swamped? Were things in walking distance available?

Edit: Found the flyer with rates and locations. Still curious if everyone gets in or if you risk being poo poo outta luck if you don't get in and didn't earlybird it.

Erev fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 5, 2018

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Erev posted:

I did the earlybird sale. I'm always a bit worried I won't get a spot in the hotel sale proper.

Same here. It's a lot less stress, and to be honest I don't mind getting away from downtown in the evening (I'm getting old and need some down time).

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Was part of the first group in for hotels. Took my time on the form, got my first choice.....outside of downtown. WTF???? So lollll, gonna stay with some friends and uber in. Just don't loving care about it this year I guess.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

We're a little more than two months away from Preview Night. I'm coming back to SDCC from a three year hiatus.

1. It's a long shot, but does anyone know the name of the little basement bar in Downtown SD near the TGI Friday's that had a progressive happy hour starting at $0.25 beers on Saturday? Are they still around?

2. Any word on the best downtown promotional freebie attractions this year?

I love the panels and the floor with my whole heart but it's the random boozy cheapo stuff which adds that extra charm.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar
Reviving as I'm hoping somebody can hook me up.

NECA's going to release this SDCC because they don't have the license to sell them individually or at stores:

7" TMNT movie turtles. Anybody here going to SDCC or can hook me up with a set? I'll make it worth your while. Sex acts included.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Nerd HQ won't be back: https://sdccblog.com/2018/06/nerdhq-not-returning-to-san-diego-comic-con-2018-san-diego-future-uncertain/

This is a bummer. I went to Nerd HQ almost every year and loved the panels, which were a lot more intimate than the usual SDCC ones. It was a victim of its own success though; tickets for panels became real bitch to get in the later years.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Hijinks Ensue posted:

Nerd HQ won't be back: https://sdccblog.com/2018/06/nerdhq-not-returning-to-san-diego-comic-con-2018-san-diego-future-uncertain/

This is a bummer. I went to Nerd HQ almost every year and loved the panels, which were a lot more intimate than the usual SDCC ones. It was a victim of its own success though; tickets for panels became real bitch to get in the later years.

I was thinking about this the other day. I feel like SDCC is leveraging their studio contracts to clamp down on the cottage industry of mini-cons popping up around it. It sucks but to a degree it's for the better. As much as you can have a good time outside con w/o having passes, CCI i'm sure would prefer you not be able to go almost a whole other con at the same time as them.

Edit: Also, checking the toy thread, it looks like Louisgod doesn't need a goon to pickup.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Trolley passes are on sale now.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

I know this thread doesn't see much action this year but I was thinking about it, I haven't heard much about what is actually showing up this year. I hear a lot of things about what's not gonna be there but little about what is. And when I do see things about what's going on, it's poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/CBSTVStudios/status/1013875232321429504

6A is 1000+ person room. To put a marathon in it for a whole day seems like a waste of resources. I suspect that either a) there's a lot of people who really dig old episode of twilight zone and are willing to spend all day in a room with a lovely chair to watch old black and white episodes you can netflix or (more likely) b) CCI is severely lacking programming this year.

I'm not gonna pine for the glory of yesteryear, but I will say I'm happy I just have Sunday this year.

Edit: Ugh, I just realized it's not all day, but the point still stands, that's a huge room for this kind of thing, even if it is generally considered "after hours"

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
If I didn't have anything else going on, I'd probably pop in to the Twilight Zone marathon. I love the show and it might be a nice way to relax and chill out.

So far my top things are the Breaking Bad reunion and the Twin Peaks panel (I missed last year's because I had to cancel going to the con because of spouse recovering from surgery). But this con is more about business than pleasure for me - going to be doing as much networking and handing out business cards as I can.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
This must be the least prepared for a con I've ever been. The schedules are out and I haven't even looked.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm waiting for the autograph schedule. Hoping that's up in the next day or two.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

This thread stands a good shot of not making it past page 1 by the time of the show for the first time ever I think.

Is SDCC just not as exciting for everyone else or is this dead comedy forum too dead and comedy for people? I know I've been a bit in the whatever club this year since I only have Sunday but even last year the shine was pretty much gone on the whole show. But I'm looking at stuff being planned and offsites and such and it's just like "meh" all over.

Maybe it's just finding out everyone's favorite nerd moderator was a sex pest and a whole bunch of other famous 'nerd' celebs are enablers that's brought everyone else down.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

I think it's just everyone who's wanted to go to sdcc in the past and seen what a gigantic loving hassle it is just saying nah gently caress that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Old Man Pants posted:

I think it's just everyone who's wanted to go to sdcc in the past and seen what a gigantic loving hassle it is just saying nah gently caress that.

Basically. I’ve wanted to go for a few years now, but it seems like I’d be spending ridiculous amounts of money to make it happen, and ehhh. Nah.

Plus several of the major companies aren’t doing it any more. No HBO and no Marvel Studios remove a lot of hype.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even if tickets were easy to get, it's too expensive if you have to fly.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Aphrodite posted:

Even if tickets were easy to get, it's too expensive if you have to fly.

And then hotel, and shopping, and meals out..

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm lucky in that I'm a pro and can write off the ticket, hotel, meals, etc. But I just had to change my kid's school to one with tuition, and this SDCC may be my last for a while. (Plus my best friend I used to go to cons with passed away a few years ago.)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Old Man Pants posted:

Losing the hypetrain from Marvel et al is kind of helpful since you won't have to worry about 9000 Whovians camping out for 8 days.
The slow ramping down of offsites also hurts since sometimes you want to just walk around a giant CN bouncehouse or visit a Hello Kitty festival or whatever other random party things are going on in the breweries.

But yeah, it's hard to get interested for something that is just a series of lotteries and gatekeeping actions built on a shoddy ground.
Maybe it'll start collapsing in on itself and being more feasible in a few years.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The_Doctor posted:

Well, for me I do that anyway but usually just Toronto. Train, stay a couple of nights, then come back.

I always feel like with the cost difference of a plane ticket though it's a waste if you don't stay all 3 or 4 days of a con, which is what really raises costs.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

FilthyImp posted:

Losing the hypetrain from Marvel et al is kind of helpful since you won't have to worry about 9000 Whovians camping out for 8 days.
The slow ramping down of offsites also hurts since sometimes you want to just walk around a giant CN bouncehouse or visit a Hello Kitty festival or whatever other random party things are going on in the breweries.

But yeah, it's hard to get interested for something that is just a series of lotteries and gatekeeping actions built on a shoddy ground.
Maybe it'll start collapsing in on itself and being more feasible in a few years.

The lotteries and gatekeeping is what're wearing at me at this point too. It's stops being a fun event when your entire year revolves around submitting lottery entries and stressing about whether you'll win said lottery or not.

And it didn't used to be all lotteries. They just slowly started implementing it for everything. Hell, they've basically implemented it twice for hotels at this point (once to fill out the form and then again after you submit the form). It just becomes too much anxiety for not enough pay off. Sure, it's great that now I can basically one-click my way to a chance at a WB autograph session but there's something to be said for the people who used to camp overnight for that chance (I never did but I respect the hustle).

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
Looking over the panels this year, there seemed to be a lot more focus on comics and related stuff. I wonder if there's an attempt to scale things back and help the event get back to its original intent.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

The_Doctor posted:

Exactly. Stay at some lovely hotel that's 30 minutes away for 150 a night because even the garbage hotels jack their prices through the roof during this event. Maybe get a parking pass if you win the lottery (sold separately), it's like planning a Disney vacation with no one to really help you navigate it. Oh you haven't been before? Then enter this lottery to maybe be able to buy a ticket, but book the travel insurance, cause no one knows if you'll actually be able to attend! I'd rather go to Hawaii or something for what it costs to go to sdcc. I've gone to DCC almost every year, and it mostly seemed like people wandering around in really good costumes looking at merch booths and paying celebrities for autographs/pictures with them. Paying someone to take a picture with them seems like such a scam.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Adult Swim is bringing their A game to con this year.

quote:

FRIDAY, JULY 20 (open 4PM – 2AM)
8:00 p.m. – AS Cosplay Competition Hosted by Henry Zebrowski – We invite cosplayers to show off their inspired creations, don their best Adult Swim themed garb and strut their stuff! Awards will be passed out and bragging rights will last a lifetime.
8:30 p.m. – The Venture Bros. Fan Event – Fans will watch two episodes from the new season of The Venture Bros. Creators Doc Hammer and Jackson Public on hand to reveal secrets of the new season in a special Q&A session.

I'm a huge fan of Last Podcast on the Left and Your pretty Face is Going to Hell, so I'm looking forward to anything Zebrowski. And two new VBros episodes!

quote:

SATURDAY, JULY 22 (open 4PM – 2AM)
10P-12A | Rick and Morty*

We get it! Were all excited! But bear in mind, admission is extremely limited and based on a lottery system. We're kind of winging this, so anything can happen. Your wildest dreams? Our worst nightmares? A little bit of both? Sign up below to find out. Instructions on how to enter will be sent on Tues. July 17th. Ticket recipients will be notified by 8P PST on Fri. July 20th.

gently caress it, I know everyone is sick of lotteries, but I'd rather play the lotto and lose than burn Saturday just to get into this thing.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Anybody going willing to buy me this shirt and send it to me? 100% willing to paypal money. I don't have PM's but if I get a taker, I can paypal and spoiler an e-mail address

https://twitter.com/AwesomestBen/status/1016734792082223105

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Schedule has been updated with movies, games, and anime if that's your jazz. Though I would love to be a fly on the wall of the Diplomacy table....

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm not into the games, but every time I walk past the gaming section I smile. It's the eye of the hurricane that is SDCC.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Do people play RPGs at SDCC? Seems dumb if so, like going to GenCon to see comics artists and not gaming.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
There are like little 30 minute demo games. Timekillers mostly.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

MadJackal posted:

Adult Swim is bringing their A game to con this year.

I'm a huge fan of Last Podcast on the Left and Your pretty Face is Going to Hell, so I'm looking forward to anything Zebrowski. And two new VBros episodes!

gently caress it, I know everyone is sick of lotteries, but I'd rather play the lotto and lose than burn Saturday just to get into this thing.

Has anyone gotten lottery link yet

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

Has anyone gotten lottery link yet

Looks like there’s an electric wristband you get when entering the outdoor [AS] area, and every time you do one of their events you get another lottery chance.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Gotta get at least one activation going before 7PM Friday for entry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Anyone doing hasbro line

Had a friend want transformers gorilla
Whatever that is

I can trade swag or line place somewhere else

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jul 18, 2018