Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's a new Lupin III anime! Directly following from 2016's Part IV, this incarnation of the gentleman thief's adventures sees Lupin heading to France, and facing his greatest enemy yet: THE INTERNET!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpKfjD2Gqb4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK9aXTnzOt8

I very much doubt you need me to tell you who the characters are, but here they are.

Lupin III! He's the brains! Claims to be descended from the great thief Arsène Lupin, but those claims have never been proven.

Daisuke Jigen! He's the gun! Usually acts as Lupin's voice of reason. In this house, we love and appreciate Daisuke Jigen.

Goemon Ishikawa XIII! He's the samurai! He can cut pretty much anything. He even cut the film the anime was printed on once.

Fujiko Mine! She's the babe! She's as often working against Lupin as with him. Had her own spinoff a few years ago with a lot of boobies.

Koichi Zenigata! He's the detective! He'd probably be the best investigator in the world if he wasn't so obsessed with Lupin.

Amlita! She's the hacker! A programming genius, she's responsible for designing the security system of the online bank Lupin has his eye on.

Lupin III streams each Tuesday at 2:30 Eastern on Crunchyroll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Gorgeous first ep. Thought it was a bit oddly paced at first, but then it closed on a fuckin clever hook. Can't wait for more.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Pootybutt posted:

Gorgeous first ep. Thought it was a bit oddly paced at first, but then it closed on a fuckin clever hook. Can't wait for more.

Yeah this is going to be interesting.

In the age of people being able to locate flags in the middle of deserts via overhead airplanes and a few car horns in the distance it is an interesting question to think about. "How would lupin hide from the internet/social media?"

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

some sort of funny wig id imagine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

some sort of funny wig id imagine.

I believe the end actually showed that there's facial recognition stuff going on that can see through his disguises.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The tech in Lupin is slightly ahead of our own so while, I don't think it's possible for facial recognition to beat rather simple disguises, I'd imagine it could definitely get to the point where it could. One of the funny little questions I've always had is where Lupin gets his more complex computerized tech. He makes all of his gadgets, but idk if it's ever really been acknowledged that he's also programming some of devices too like the AR monocle he had in this episode.

Lupin and his gang are a bit of a relic from the 70s, so a series focusing on how much the world has or will change with the advent of crowdsourcing, AR, and the internet. Their Silk Road parallel is so much more interesting than the RL version and I'm sure the founder of their version is much more interesting than the pathetic schlub we got who even had a doc on his computer that was essentially "mycrimes.txt"

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I like how this episode acknowledged the strangeness of Goemon being a modern-day samurai; it feels like the Lupin franchise sometimes gets so accustomed to Goemon that it forgets how bizarre he is.

Shouldn't Rebecca (and maybe Nyx) be in this thread's OP, since she was shown connected to Lupin in the app diagram alongside Jigen, Fujiko, Goemon, and Zenigata?

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 4, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

If they actually show up, I will.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

What a great first episode. Its goofy and fun and with a final good hook at the end.

I'm excited to watch more

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I'm in so far. Stealing one bullet just so they come up empty just when you swagger up is the good stuff.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

poo poo, I never finished part 4!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
Everyone's a cop!

I'm excited for more Lupin, I haven't really actively watched it since Part 2. Exciting first episode and a good refresher on the cast.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
After so much goofy Lupin cartoonish tech I think they found the right hook for this season focusing on tech that's ultimately just as cartoony but is built on modern stuff like AR, hacking, and social media. I'm looking forward to Amlita's inevitable Fujiko-style betrayal of Lupin and how he overcomes that or has planned for that eventuality. If the series abandons its core identity and has a female character that isn't entirely "sneaky betrayer of Lupin" or "damsel rescued by Lupin" then I'd be totally in to that too. There's no way they get away from that concept entirely, heck he's already rescued Amlita and post-rescue she's been entirely helpless, but it'd be nice to see some nuance and growth to a female character that doesn't fit neatly into one of those two roles.

I'm also calling it now that there's going to be a heist that has Lupin and co. diving into a game or mainframe VRMMO style, basically like in animes like sword art online, and they'll throw out a different animation style for it. Lots of fun gag chances there too, so it feels like a missed opportunity if they don't go all-in on the "10 minutes into the future" tech focus. Then you end the season with them coming out on top because they used their old school roots to their fullest and some gadget from like 30 years ago is vital to their success.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Killing the Fiat was a dramatic statement, and I'm not ok with it

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I hope he gets a new electric Fiat that's kitted out with more ridiculous gadgets like an even more bonkers Mark 5

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It's time to bring Lupin's yellow Mercedes Benz back.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

NowonSA posted:

If the series abandons its core identity and has a female character that isn't entirely "sneaky betrayer of Lupin" or "damsel rescued by Lupin" then I'd be totally in to that too. There's no way they get away from that concept entirely, heck he's already rescued Amlita and post-rescue she's been entirely helpless, but it'd be nice to see some nuance and growth to a female character that doesn't fit neatly into one of those two roles.

There was the retired female mafia boss in that one Part I episode. And Part IV had that media mogul's widow who was a damsel in distress for Zenigata to rescue. :v: But yeah, female characters in Lupin seem to fit into one of those two roles, even if the better-written storylines add some nuance to it.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Car in the preview looks kinda like an Aston Martin.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Over/under on Lupin getting big into crypto this part?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Lupin only like to steal valuables so no, I doubt he steals crypto

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he has stolen a bunch of stuff that turned out to be worthless, though.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I love Lupin and Jigen's little safehouse at the start, just lazing about cooking eggs and watching football :3:

The OP/ED are really nice this season, think I prefer the energy of Part Four's ED but Adieu is pretty lovely too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sjBVC4nfWw

Knorth fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 5, 2018

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Yeah but those were at least cool or presented some sort of challenge otherwise.

Stealing crypto is worthlessly easy. Just set up a "Steal yo poo poo" ICO and name it exactly that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

That would actually be a fun gag for me to see him pull off the purely digital version of stealing a fake piece of art of face jewelry or something, just puts in a ton of work but through no fault of his own the currency he stole became worthless overnight, or maybe that could be a thing the Silk Road people do to screw him since they hate his guts.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Seeing a new Lupin series really makes me want to check out more Lupin stuff that isn't just Castle of Cagliostro. Which series parts/films are particularly good?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
You can't really go wrong with any of the TV series.

You've seen the best of the movies already.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Zerilan posted:

Seeing a new Lupin series really makes me want to check out more Lupin stuff that isn't just Castle of Cagliostro. Which series parts/films are particularly good?

Lupin the Third Part 4 for another modern Lupin with similar style and story structure.
The Woman Called Fujiko Mine for a darker series that centers around Fujiko and her run-ins with the Lupin crew.
Lupin the Third Part 1 has more of an edge than later parts so isn't necessarily the definitive Lupin, but there are some classic episodes and it's a very manageable two-cour series.

for movies you can't go wrong with Secret of Mamo, Jigen's Gravestone, and Fuma Conspiracy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lupin 1 is also the most bizarre and funny of the series, lots of great goofy episodes yhere.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the things that most immediately impressed me about Part 1 were the technical detail used when drawing cars and guns, and also how well it used limited animation tricks. i have a bit of a bias for stuff that old but there's definitely plenty to recommend it, like the time traveler episode is so iconic that Part 4 referenced it more than 40 years later.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

dogsicle posted:

the things that most immediately impressed me about Part 1 were the technical detail used when drawing cars and guns, and also how well it used limited animation tricks. i have a bit of a bias for stuff that old but there's definitely plenty to recommend it, like the time traveler episode is so iconic that Part 4 referenced it more than 40 years later.

The time traveler episode is Part I's second-worst, IMO. ("Farewell, My Beloved Witch" being the worst.) It's just too silly for me.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I am definitely here for "Lupin steals a bunch of bitcoins then gets tracked down by Reddit". What a good way to use the modern setting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'm not up to date on Lupin stuff. Can I jump straight into this, or should I go watch through Part IV first?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

You should be fine.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Yeah even if this series has a big throughline, the start of it is just as episodic as any past Lupin material.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
What’s the best way to watch former parts? Are they streaming?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

What’s the best way to watch former parts? Are they streaming?

CR has most if not all of the TV series.

Funimation has them dubbed (as well as subbed) and possibly in more regions.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I should rewatch Fujiko Mine, that show was great

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Lupin only like to steal valuables so no, I doubt he steals crypto

Ironically Lupin's interest will make crypto skyrocket after he throws it away thinking it's stupid.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Mercury Hat posted:

I am definitely here for "Lupin steals a bunch of bitcoins then gets tracked down by Reddit". What a good way to use the modern setting.

ADTRW > Lupin III Part V: Lupin steals a bunch of bitcoins then gets tracked down by Reddit

holy poo poo what a thread title, mods plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I can see where this is going, towards "everyone in the world is a thief" when Lupin repurposes the Lupin Game to make random people into his accomplices, and it's going to be great.

• Locked thread