Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Catching up on the last couple episodes and man

This safe episode sure is 80s. I feel like they even tweaked the art style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Catching up on the last couple episodes and man

This safe episode sure is 80s. I feel like they even tweaked the art style.

They did. It's total Pink Jacket.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
More Crazy assassins this episode. Though we only got a good look at one, there were two more with unique designs.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I was already enjoying the series, but I think the second story arc is off to a strong start. Especially with the recent complications introduced in the newest episode. I also smiled more than necessary at the Goemon scenes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Children are friends to Goemon.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't believe Lupin is dead and the series is over forever.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

I can't believe Lupin is dead and the series is over forever.

Well, they killed him back in episode 4. We should be used to the Zenigata show by now.

Edit: Slightly more seriously, I finally looked up the details people had been going "Ah! Ah!" over vis a vis Albert, and it clarified a lot in a hurry, I think.

So, although the translation on a lot of sites is Dandridge, there's another localization going around.

D'Andresy.

As in Lupin's great granny's maiden name, which she went back to when her husband went into the thieving game.

Add in an episode titled "The Man Who Abandoned 'Lupin'", and it adds up to explain things. Al's family who didn't like the trade. Went in for being a crooked cop instead of a thief with a heart of gold, and left behind the name in the bargain.

Nobody you can hate quite like family, after all.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 23, 2018

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
v good show

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I really dig how the show throws in Albert's boyfriend like it's no big deal. The gossips at the police station don't make the usual "it's too bad he's gay" jokes, and even Lupin's dig at him is about the fact that Albert has a type.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I think it might the most tasteful representation of gay men in anime?

I was pretty drat surprised by it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's a good little bit but let's not get carried away

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

yeah sorry I went too far, I just have low expectations of media treating LGBT people with respect in general

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Lupin was just happy it was somewhat easier to impersonate a target's lover than usual.

That full body Fujiko suit has got to be uncomfortable

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Pretty sure that upon hearing about the Fujiko disguise, Ami would just nod wisely and change a couple of sentences in her fanfic.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I have never felt so identified with an anime character as I have felt about Goemon this episode.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

GimmickMan posted:

I have never felt so identified with an anime character as I have felt about Goemon this episode.
Yeah the wet cell phone gag was great to begin with and seeing his cracked screen later on killed me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

I really dig how the show throws in Albert's boyfriend like it's no big deal. The gossips at the police station don't make the usual "it's too bad he's gay" jokes, and even Lupin's dig at him is about the fact that Albert has a type.

It's also another parallel for Lupin, giving the guy a monogamous relationship to contrast Lupin's tendency to hit on every woman in sight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I quite like Jose and his batch of assassins. I think Revenant as his name suggests be immortal in some way. As he has appeared to die three times so far, and the next episode preview shows he is back again.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
The "I'll be taking the title of 'The Third,' then" line made me wonder whether Lupin III's first name is actually Arsene. Is he ever even called "Arsene Lupin III" in any official Japanese-language source? It's always just "Lupin III" (even in situations where a full name would normally be expected) and "your grandfather, Arsene Lupin."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

The "I'll be taking the title of 'The Third,' then" line made me wonder whether Lupin III's first name is actually Arsene. Is he ever even called "Arsene Lupin III" in any official Japanese-language source? It's always just "Lupin III" (even in situations where a full name would normally be expected) and "your grandfather, Arsene Lupin."

Let’s be real here - he was totally Albert’s Fujiko.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Let’s be real here - he was totally Albert’s Fujiko.

Suggesting a Les Cousins Dangereux route, eh?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Suggesting a Les Cousins Dangereux route, eh?

Let’s be fair, we don’t know that the Lupin family is any more blood-related than the Bat Family. But yeah, pretty much every interaction those two have had screams ‘spectacularly bad breakup’, and I couldn’t help but notice that Albert’s current boyfriend looks kind of like a prettier version of Lupin, which gives that comment about how he ‘has a type’ a lot more weight.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Razor Girl is cool and good

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"I'm going to steal France" isn't a bad crime, but in this case it seems kind of like trying to word around the fact that you've gone vaguely* respectable.

* actual vagueness may vary

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

"I'm going to steal France" isn't a bad crime, but in this case it seems kind of like trying to word around the fact that you've gone vaguely* respectable.

* actual vagueness may vary

It's a kind of a thing for pro thieves when they go legit. Can't just say you're dropping out. Have to gussy it up.

"I'm stealing 50K per annum, medical, AND dental!"

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
The villain being a right-wing candidate funding terrorism to win on an anti-immigrant platform is veeeeeery on the nose but I can dig it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it at least has more to it than "lol bitcoin" so i'm on board

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
I think they'll end up tying together a lot of stuff from the various arcs for the finale.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Next episode is a Red Jacket episode.

Also man they slaughtered Jose and his assassins. Though I kind of expect Revenant to show up again, despite the Iron maiden.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And yes. The jacket is very, very red.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Jigen be all "This is my summer suit." :smug:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Next episode is a Red Jacket episode.

Also man they slaughtered Jose and his assassins. Though I kind of expect Revenant to show up again, despite the Iron maiden.

The episode after is also a Red Jacket episode.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And yes. The jacket is very, very red.

Yep. Including some of the aspects of some episodes of Part II I'm not so fond of, like Lupin's obnoxious horniness, Fujiko's uselessness, and supernatural elements introduced out of nowhere mid-episode.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

dogsicle posted:

it's a good little bit but let's not get carried away

what's the most tasteful representation of gay men in anime?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
You're not allowed to say Scarlet Beriko's Jealousy because that's my answer

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Yep. Including some of the aspects of some episodes of Part II I'm not so fond of, like Lupin's obnoxious horniness, Fujiko's uselessness, and supernatural elements introduced out of nowhere mid-episode.

Yeah, the other two things made me think of Red Jacket, but "Also ghosts for some reason, moving on" pretty much sealed it.

There's been less Fujiko and Zenigata than I'd like this season, but we can hope for more later, I suppose.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

You're not allowed to say Scarlet Beriko's Jealousy because that's my answer

my answer is i'm too hosed up from 20 years of resonating with queer villains and stereotypes to properly appreciate and center good gay fiction/characters in my life. and the most seen i've felt in anime was relating to a lesbian character so truly i am at a loss

when talking lupin gays you can't skip oscar though.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
The Fujiko ep where Oskar seduces Fujiko as a girl ftw

quelle lesbian did you resonate with

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Speaking of Fujiko, I actually recently finished it for the first time and I fuckin love the double twist.

"Your life of crime and sex is just my escapist fantasy of a better life."

"Sike, bitch. I was ALWAYS like this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Personally I heavily relate to LukaMiku doujins because I'm over six feet tall and I exclusively get hit on by short girls

• Locked thread