Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What'd you just finish? Was it good?

Hi, I'm stealing an idea from the bookbarn! They finish books, we finish anime.

I'll start: I just finished The Skull Man, the 2007 anime that was a slow-paced but actually pretty good conspiracy/murder mystery/thriller. I'd describe it as watching a Kamen Rider from the outsider's POV - it's about a tabloid reporter who heads to a city in order to find out who the mysterious Skull Man is, and it takes him most of the series to find out why not-Kamen Rider is fighting horrific monsters.

Ending spoiler: I felt that the Cyborg 009 tie-ins were too out of context to fully enjoy, and the ultimate twist could have been handled better, but hell. A good spooky note to end the series on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I literally today just binged Yuru Camp. One of the favourites of last season, it was a highly enjoyable yet honestly pointless series. It didn't feel like it worked itself to any satisfying conclusion, there was no payoff of any form, just nothing after the midpoint but for a holding pattern. Still, it was a wonderful look at people that just dig camping warts and all, especially during the first half.

I think it's my first time actually binging a show in one sitting. Something about its atmosphere just clicked.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just finished Hunter x Hunter 2011. And well. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen I think.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the skullman had a good OP

i could have picked something more obscure i just finished to look cool but i will be honest and say kokkoku, which had an interesting setting but lacking execution

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

marchen madchen had two really funny episodes and a few good characters but had horrible production issues (natch) and even without the production issues it had some weird fanservice and the main characters weren't really appealing. when the best characters in the show are the one-off gag villains and the main character's gyaru sister who has maybe twenty lines, it's kinda weird.

Also there were some weird lines like 'america has no culture of its own' which, like, kinda, but what about native american folktales and stuff. also paul bunyan, johnny appleseed. rosie the riveter? idk i feel like working with that stuff would have been more interesting than just two random christmas powers, zombies, and star wars

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Last week I finished AKB0048, an idol show from 2012/2013. I picked it up thanks to images in the idol thread, and I'm glad I did.

It's idols in the future, where man has spread across the planets, but entertainment is banned. So idols, who are the successors to the real-life idol group AKB48, travel from place to place, giving hope via guerrilla concerts. A new group of potential idols have been selected... who will survive to become a chosen successor, to sing and dance and battle the oppressors?

Yet another step down the long stairwell to idol hell. 'Tis a pleasant place, though.

Belgian Waffle
Jul 31, 2006
I marathoned ACCA: 13 over the weekend because it seemed to get a lot of acclaim in the Best of Anime 2017 thread.

It's about a guy named Jean, who is a part of the eponymous ACCA organization that oversees the 13 district-nation-states that make up the Kingdom of Dowa. His particular job is to travel to each of the districts so that he can do audits (mostly on their food?). There's also some political shenanigans going on in the background, it's barely worth paying attention to.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. The writing is easily its strongest point. The characters behave intelligently and logically. The pacing is excellent. The setting is very cool (well, it appeals to me as a tabletop gamer) with each district being these distinct things with their own schtick and it makes me sad that we won't see more of it.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
ACCA-13 was the last anime I finished (a while ago, lol) and uhhhhhh idk I love hot guys smoking and eating cake

and mom

I wanna know more about the gossipy gal trio from the office. And the lady who had a crush on Jean but ended up dating that old guy. I want more ACCA!!!!

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i didn't care for skull man at all cause it just reminded me of mouryou no hako but less good

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Davincie posted:

i didn't care for skull man at all cause it just reminded me of mouryou no hako but less good

How so? From the two eps of Mouryou no Hako I saw, they weren't very alike at all?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

both stories are set in versions of postwar japan, and have a news reporter investigate a series of mysterious killings. in this they are assisted, among others by a journalist girl with the exact same design and a detective. the murders are both related to biological science experiments and the modification of humans. both are heavily steeped in japanese religion and myths and have a horror atmosphere etc etc

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Davincie posted:

both stories are set in versions of postwar japan, and have a news reporter investigate a series of mysterious killings. in this they are assisted, among others by a journalist girl with the exact same design and a detective. the murders are both related to biological science experiments and the modification of humans. both are heavily steeped in japanese religion and myths and have a horror atmosphere etc etc

Oh! .... Oh!

I need to revisit it and watch all of it this time!

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
I just watched Orange with a friend. It's a show about a girl in high school who gets a letter from her future self telling her she will make and lose a friend in her life over the course of the year and how to live that year without regrets. Her future self puts it on her shoulder's to save said friend and the show is about how somebody can actually deal with that weight.

The first half of the show didn't do much for me, but as it goes on the side cast gets more involved and we learn more about why these people care about each other. It ends up telling a very real story of trauma, regret and friendship, and how much responsibility you can really put on yourself for what happens to those around you. It flashes forwards to the main cast meeting up ten years in the future to help layer revelations in a way that was really effective for me, and by the last episode I was just about crying alongside the characters.

Just a really well told, affecting story that hit me a lot harder and more personally than I thought it would.

Also:

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just finished Hunter x Hunter 2011. And well. It was one of the best shows I've ever seen I think.

I agree with this.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
Glad to see that The Skull Man is still remembered. Bones did an incredible job with it.

I recently did a real deep dig and watched 1986's 'Project A-ko' in which Superman and Wonder Woman's daughter A-ko beats up a bunch of robots sent after her by rich snobby ojou type B-ko, all because of a crush she has on proto-Mako C-ko who is overly attached to A-ko. (And then aliens show up) It's an absolute delight and great example of that era of anime in general. It also does the meta thing of having more than a few references and asides to other popular anime of the era, which is really fun. I'm sitting on the 3 sequels and the 2-part spinoff and will hopefully get around to watching those as well. That is if I don't get distracted by this Patlabor stuff I also have.

Amstrad fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 5, 2018

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I just finished Inuyashiki. I wouldn't necessarily say it was artful, but it manipulated my emotions very well. I also liked that the protagonist was an old man, which is something you don't see often in anime. I looked at the Inuyashiki thread here, and it seems a lot of people didn't like it, though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i watched Traveling Daru

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I finished Osamu Dezaki's Takarajima. It was a really fun series with a big heart for adventurers of all ages. The real star of the show is Dezaki's larger than life vision of Long John Silver, a true man whonis probably the best version of the character from any adaptation. Even though the character has a perpetual poker face things like lighting and color are used to show his mood, along with the voice actor's excellent performance. My only complaint is that it's just barely too long, and some scenes, especially in the stretch before they reach Treasure Island, are clearly dragged out to meet the runtime. Also there's only like six tracks they use for music which gets tiring after awhile. Other than that it's fun all the way through and the ending will stick with me for a long time.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I watched the first season of Symphogear a few weeks ago after checking out the first 2 episodes when it first started airing but then dropping off for whatever reason. Awhile back I saw some stuff that made me think "wait did this get super awesome and I didn't know about it??" and it turns out yes, it did.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Today I finished Hakumei and Mikochi. The two title characters didn't win me over as easily as Rin and Nadeshiko from Yurucamp, but I really enjoyed the art style - they're little walking marshmallow people, and that's just spiffy. The beautiful, colorful world they inhabit is pretty fascinating as well, and the show expresses a certain faith in human goodness that I find myself needing from time to time.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I finished Killing Bites because Amazon finally got off their lazy asses and put up the last episode. AOTS.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Finally got around to finishing Garo Vanishing Line. Won't go into it much to avoid spoiling it, but I really enjoyed it. Also liked the ending quite a bit, even if some didn't. A surprisingly consistent show with a good cast.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I finished Killing Bites because Amazon finally got off their lazy asses and put up the last episode. AOTS.

Same. I've had little free time so my the only things I've finished watching recently is Killing Bites and the first cour of Clear Card

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

El Burbo posted:

Same. I've had little free time so my the only things I've finished watching recently is Killing Bites and the first cour of Clear Card

What is Killing Bites?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
its when the sharper fangs wins

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

What is Killing Bites?

The one with the sharpest fangs wins thats what killing bites is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nebrilos posted:

What is Killing Bites?

Mediocre college student Yūya Nomoto encounters a mysterious girl named Hitomi. At an abandoned waste facility, Yūya is shocked to see her transform into a beast and battle a lion monster. These strange people are "Brutes," fighters that combine the brains of humans and the fangs of beasts. Hitomi has the strongest fighting instinct, called "Rattle." These "Killing Bites" battles have been the decisive turning points in the Japanese economy since ancient times, and Hitomi is the latest to be swallowed up in the fierce skirmishes.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

lol "rattle"

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I just finished re-watching The Big O and once again just as I thought I had almost figured out the plot, the last fifteen minutes happened.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Mediocre college student Yūya Nomoto encounters a mysterious girl named Hitomi. At an abandoned waste facility, Yūya is shocked to see her transform into a beast and battle a lion monster. These strange people are "Brutes," fighters that combine the brains of humans and the fangs of beasts. Hitomi has the strongest fighting instinct, called "Rattle." These "Killing Bites" battles have been the decisive turning points in the Japanese economy since ancient times, and Hitomi is the latest to be swallowed up in the fierce skirmishes.

That's what killing bites is.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I just finished re-watching The Big O and once again just as I thought I had almost figured out the plot, the last fifteen minutes happened.

Roger Smith negotiated a world without Bigs or violence and now everybody can be friends.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Just finished KonoSuba.
Blessings on this anime.

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

I watched Angel Beats after a friend told me it was his favorite anime. I still don't know if he was kidding or not. It wasn't a bad show, but there's a lot of shows that do its schtick better. It takes an adequate premise, then does basically nothing with it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I finished GATE. The main characters and storyline was whatever, but boy did I sure enjoy watching a modern military blow the hell out of some medieval aged armies.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Finished Soul Eater. Liked it for the most part, fun supporting cast and pretty decent fighting stuff for shonen. Couldn't get myself to find Maka interesting as a protagonist and thought the resolution of the final fight to be way too corny.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

TriffTshngo posted:

I watched the first season of Symphogear a few weeks ago after checking out the first 2 episodes when it first started airing but then dropping off for whatever reason. Awhile back I saw some stuff that made me think "wait did this get super awesome and I didn't know about it??" and it turns out yes, it did.

:yeah:

I finished A Place Further Than The Universe. It's easily one of the best anime I have ever seen. It's gorgeously shot and animated, the characters are incredible, the music is excellent, and best of all, the writing is solid the whole way through - everything leads up to a powerful conclusion. It's simultaneously a deeply personal story & a really broad, epic adventure that anyone can see themselves in. My best comparisons are to the better Pixar or Miyazaki films.

I also finished Memnosyne. It is loving terrible. It squanders a potentially interesting premise (a pair of immortal private detectives taking cases as society evolves around them)) on a parade of pointless murder, torture, rape, and cannibalism. It's ugly and unpleasant, poorly written, and occasionally hillarious, though sometimes I wonder if the parts i was laughing at were meant to be funny it looks bad, too: the while thing is dark and muddy and washed out, and some of the digital effects, especially the ones they use for flashbacks, are horrible. Even the OP is bad; its the edgiest metalcore bullshit.

There is a part where the bad guy turns the tables on our protagonists shows by bringing out an angel rape squad, no, I'm not kidding. Jesus. It is an Anime Death Rape Tentacle Whorehouse of a show.

Why did I watch it? One of my very best friends loves it, and he was willing to watch Symphogear in exchange, so fair enough. I feel better now that I've gotten this out.

Do not watch Memnosyne.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 8, 2018

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Finished Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood a couple days ago.

While I was left a bit dissapointed after my friend hyped it for a long time and also by the very well done plot setup that lead to a somewhat average finale, I still find it very enjoyable.

The first thing that I liked a lot is how characters, even minor ones, remain relevant to the story (well except Cheska who I think the authors forgot about) and even relevant to the fights without gaining any asspull powerups. Their strengths and weaknesses are established early on and their success or failure at fights depends on how they adapt to their opponent and how creatively they used their powers. This is something very few animes do because it's just so much easier to pull a new power out of the character's rear end.

The comedy was also really good without undermining the tone of the story or completely ruining tense moments, but rather providing a good breather.

The character designs were all georgeous and their expressions and voice actors transmitted their emotions well ( mostly notably on Selmy's whose whole mannerism and way it's drawn changes when it's revealed that he is Pride)

I guess the main problem is that I just didn't feel much for the brothers and their struggle to get their bodies back when the stakes had already risen from political conspiracy to WORLD TURNS INTO FANTA level of cataclysm.

Also the fact that most plot twists they couldn't keep it in their pants and gave them away way too early and in an anticlimatic way, and the fact that the studio definitely operated under the assumption that you've watched 03 first and fastforwarded over some of the early arcs, leading to some "Uh?" moments near the end of the series when a character would call back to one of these early arcs and how big of an impact it had on them when it definitely wasn't depicted as such namely talking about the Tucker/Nina incident

I started to watch the 03 version for comparison and I'm 4 episodes in, and I can already tell I'm probably gonna like Brotherhood more cause 03 seems to lean a bit too heavily on the dark and gloomy cane.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 8, 2018

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Zerilan posted:

Finished Soul Eater. Liked it for the most part, fun supporting cast and pretty decent fighting stuff for shonen. Couldn't get myself to find Maka interesting as a protagonist and thought the resolution of the final fight to be way too corny.

Yeah Soul Eater was good, but it suffered the same problem as FMA in which the Anime caught up with the manga so they improvised.

The manga ending is good, but the story kinda dragged on a bit from where the anime departed (like 2 and a half full arcs), so that's probably why it never got the Brotherhood treatment.

Also the problem with Maka is that the anime for some reason made her the one true protagonist despite the prologue making it pretty clear that it was a shared protagonism between her/Black Star/Death the kid.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 8, 2018

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

lezard_valeth posted:

Also the problem with Maka is that the anime for some reason made her the one true protagonist despite the prologue making it pretty clear that it was a shared protagonism between her/Black Star/Death the kid.

This plus at the start it also felt more like there was going to be a lot more focus on Meister/Weapon as partners, which it got progressively away from.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite thing about the courage punch is that maka was never particularly courageous. throughout the story she dealt with her occasionally crippling fear by seeking power, which is the exact same thing the kishin did except he was way better at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I finally got around to finishing New Game!! It was good and kinda makes me want to rewatch from the start. Now to wait for a third season.

• Locked thread