Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
don't people know all music is free?!?

good on them for saying no to underwriting fees tho. 6% lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Opened at 167, I got in at 149. I plan on losing all of my money. Thats my story thanks for reading.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

good on them for saying no to underwriting fees tho. 6% lmao.

apparently they paid pretty much the same in advisor fees instead, nice.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MrMoo posted:

apparently they paid pretty much the same in advisor fees instead, nice.

lmao gently caress. "should i ipo?" "yes. that'll be 35 million."

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
for 30 billion dollars you could buy the entire music industry

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

The Management posted:

for 30 billion dollars you could buy the entire music industry

Edit: I get it

pram
Jun 10, 2001

WalletBeef posted:

Opened at 167, I got in at 149. I plan on losing all of my money. Thats my story thanks for reading.

lol

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

imagine payola

but with computers

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
what bubble

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
apparently only 3% of the float was traded yesterday, which means 97% of owners think it has upside at 135 lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

apparently only 3% of the float was traded yesterday, which means 97% of owners think it has upside at 135 lmao

haha holy poo poo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

or they’re employees that can’t sell because they’re locked out

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
that's the cool part of the placement model. no lockout at all for anyone.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ad blocking needs more word of mouth. has it been spreading

Relin fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 5, 2018

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

for Spotify it’s unknown to people at large, but other premium features and low cost make it worth it. it’s dead simple but prolly too technical. like a step harder but still easy, if a collective of paid users who use the service primarily to listen to the tracks they grew up with (as opposed to discovering new music) found out you could easily record all of the music as it plays to files, or circumvent the DRM of downloaded tracks, that too would be a problem

e. somehow read opposite of intended meaning. still,

OldAlias fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Apr 5, 2018

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I just pay for it because it seems good

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i pay for it because i forget to cancel it

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

pram posted:

i pay for it because i forget to cancel it

ahhh yes, the netflix strategy ...

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

WalletBeef posted:

ahhh yes, the Xbox live strategy ...

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

WalletBeef posted:

ahhh yes, the gym strategy ...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i still think its intensely user hostile for ms to charge gam3rs just to play online lol. esp in this day and age of microtransaction poo poo that they could easily dive into

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park
Let's hope no one does this 30,000 more times:

https://qz.com/1212330/a-bulgarian-scheme-scammed-spotify-for-1-million-without-breaking-a-single-law/

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

actually i‘m hoping people do it

lazercunt
Oct 26, 2007

It was a narcotics raid, not a Fritos raid.

prefer google play music imo :corsair:

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Spotify is certified A Good Program

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

lazercunt posted:

prefer google play music imo :corsair:

um, yeah, about that... https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/24/youtube-remix-google-play-music/

i'm hoping it will be more like a rebrand than anything else but i fully expect them to cut features and just overall gently caress everything up

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

abigserve posted:

Spotify has good music but the app is a mess

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

don't people know all music is free?!?
LOL if you don't get Spotify for free via the family plan through a bartering network with your family and friends and also get access to every major streaming service by sharing the logins of the 2 services you actually pay for, one of which is Amazon prime, so you basically come out ahead of everyone and win at life and crush puss.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

abigserve posted:

even iTunes doesn't dare to put itself as a startup item without asking

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've been on apple music because of how well it integrates with stuff but itunes is such hot dog poo poo it's making me seriously consider dropping it for spotify

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also i'm not bothering to check their statements or anything but how the gently caress are they justifying this valuation? or are they not even trying to do that? they have all the risk & exposure of netflix with none of the ability to pivot into inhousing everything

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

is amazon's music thingy any good on phones, i have prime for the shipping but i've never actually used the music

i'd want to use it for playing randomly picked songs from <genre> or songs similar to <that one song i really like> rather than browsing albums or records or labels or whatever

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

like there's definitely a business model where you could run spotify at a profit while forcing a stalemate with the labels. i don't see how you do that with such insane profit that it justifies 23 billion. the very second you start pulling in any significant amount of money you're going to be ripped to shreds by the labels

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

is amazon's music thingy any good on phones, i have prime for the shipping but i've never actually used the music

I've tried to use it cause it's free with it and it's garbage, but last time I tried was a couple of years ago so maybe (definitely not) it's better

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

um, yeah, about that... https://www.droid-life.com/2018/04/24/youtube-remix-google-play-music/

i'm hoping it will be more like a rebrand than anything else but i fully expect them to cut features and just overall gently caress everything up

im surprised the gmusic free music locker thing has lasted as long as it has

pram
Jun 10, 2001

~Coxy posted:

even iTunes doesn't dare to put itself as a startup item without asking

it does on osx

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

spotify set for a 10% tumble in opening today, quarterly report was pretty decent; YoY: +45% paying users, +26% revenue (+37% adjusting for unfavorable forex changes), loss fell from 15.4% to 3.2%; but as this thread correctly points out, the valuation sets pretty high expectations. i suspect it is the revenue growth not being quicker that is spooking investors

in more yospos news my desktop client has started to occassionally refuse to start playing when i double-click songs or press the play button, but can play them just fine if i put them in the queue and hit next song. so 10% decline is fully motivated by that annoyance alone

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pram posted:

it does on osx

nope

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Rex-Goliath posted:

also i'm not bothering to check their statements or anything but how the gently caress are they justifying this valuation? or are they not even trying to do that? they have all the risk & exposure of netflix with none of the ability to pivot into inhousing everything

Why couldn't spotify start offering label deals just like any other record label the way netflix is funding its own shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ADINSX posted:

Why couldn't spotify start offering label deals just like any other record label the way netflix is funding its own shows?

the whole point of spotify is their selection

it's like all those failed online music stores before itunes that would have like 4/6 major labels [lol there's only 3 now], if you don't have all the big labels there's no way you can maintain the paying users you need to stay in business

• Locked thread