Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Greatest Showman made an inexplicably large amount of money
There's a sucker born every minute after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like for the last five years ive been saying “this is the MCU movie that will finally be good post phase 3” and then it doesn’t happen.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Snooze Cruise posted:

Eh, I really doubt that lol. Like I don't think a Deadpool and Wolverine movie is going to be that huge. I think this will probably do well and review well, but people have moved on. The moment is over. Horror has been on the rise recently and making bank, we have all these bad nostalgia flicks of genre classics. Both herald a move back towards more generalized genre film.

Horror has already peaked and going downhill. Which is not the best time for me to be working on 10 horror films in the next year and a half.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Horror has never peaked nor has it ever gone down hill. Horror is better and will always last longer than any genre ever

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

To be clear, I am talking about box office

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Horror cinema is always biggest in times of economic crisis. I wouldn't expect it to go anywhere yet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Blumhouse is just not doing anything fun right now. Maybe they have other things cooking but night swim and Imaginary didn’t grab me

No offense kiimo, no one could sell me a movie about a spooky pool lol

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

kiimo posted:

To be clear, I am talking about box office

I do think a lot of recent well reviewed underperformers like Immaculate, The First Omen and Abigail are really going pop off on streaming though, so I expect we'll see a rise in investment in the genre from that quarter.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Apr 23, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

the deadpool movies are the only good marvel film content

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

I don't usually get like this but the Deadpool films piss me off to no end. I don't usually go on the internet to hate on poo poo and I can't even explain why I hate it so. Ich.

Something about the brand of humour, the delivery by Ryan Reynolds, and it being so loving satisfied with itself just doesn't sit right with me.

If anyone has a good article / video about why the humour in it sucks, maybe seeing that I'm not alone in this world will quiet my need to shitpost about this all day.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
He knows he’s in a movie!

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Blumhouse is just not doing anything fun right now. Maybe they have other things cooking but night swim and Imaginary didn’t grab me

No offense kiimo, no one could sell me a movie about a spooky pool lol

I'm not about to be out here defending Night Swim (which was a success if you can believe it).

The saturation of horror year-round is just beginning though. As for Blumhouse, on the horizon is Speak No Evil with James McAvoy, the Wolf Man reboot which isn't a reboot at all and more like, I dunno, The Fly. Then Woman in the Yard which is so small it could be a play.

M3GAN 2.0 and FNAF are in the works though, among several others.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

High Warlord Zog posted:

Reynolds's streaming films have budgets of hundreds of millions of dollars and mimic movies that people go to see in theatres.

Yeah his streaming stuff does very well, apparently people loved that Christmas musical movie he did with Farrell last year.

kiminewt posted:

I don't usually get like this but the Deadpool films piss me off to no end. I don't usually go on the internet to hate on poo poo and I can't even explain why I hate it so. Ich.

Something about the brand of humour, the delivery by Ryan Reynolds, and it being so loving satisfied with itself just doesn't sit right with me.

If anyone has a good article / video about why the humour in it sucks, maybe seeing that I'm not alone in this world will quiet my need to shitpost about this all day.

Part of it is probably the fact that Reynolds has been doing the same schtick for like 20 years now, part of it is probably that a lot of the humor in the DP films feels like outdated "EPIC LULZ" stuff.

Honestly it's fine (and probably healthy) to be a hater about some things, you don't have to rationalize it. I don't love the DP movies but they are entertaining enough and they get some stuff right enough (i.e. most of the action sequences and pitch perfect casting for Cable, Domino, Negasonic whatever) that I can ignore the annoying smugness that radiates off of them.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I feel like the Deadpool character/franchise is supposed to come off as mildly irritating in its humor and self indulgence. Like all the other characters can barely tolerate him. It’s pretty on brand that way.

Honestly it’d come off as lame but I feel like Reynolds has had so much invested in doing the character over the years that it’s hard not to buy into it. Especially if it culminates in roping Hugh into the role one more time.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's all lead up to this anyways with getting Wolverine/Hugh Jackman back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

kiimo posted:

I'm not about to be out here defending Night Swim (which was a success if you can believe it).

The saturation of horror year-round is just beginning though. As for Blumhouse, on the horizon is Speak No Evil with James McAvoy, the Wolf Man reboot which isn't a reboot at all and more like, I dunno, The Fly. Then Woman in the Yard which is so small it could be a play.

I didn’t know about The Fly but I am for sure looking forward too M3GAN 2.0

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It isn't The Fly, it's just like The Fly. Wolf Man is way more about the transition and going from protector of his family to threat of his family and takes place in a cabin.

But it's creepy as hell so far (it just started filming)

We showed a short teaser thingy at CinemaCon

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh hell yeah. I’m into that honestly.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah his streaming stuff does very well, apparently people loved that Christmas musical movie he did with Farrell last year.

The Disney+ Marvel shows do very well too. But they've undercut Marvel at the box office because they're too much like the movies most of their audience goes out to see in the cinema. And sending so many Disney/Pixar animated releases to steaming (where they also do very well) has severely impacted their performance in theatres.

The sweet spot for star fronted streaming projects are the kind of films that modern audiences are going to stay home for anyway (example: Marriage Story) or long-form shows and miniseries aping the kinds of movies that used to be Box Office draws but haven't been for decades (example: Jack Ryan)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Apr 24, 2024

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the deadpool movies rule because they treat the mcu with a proper lack of reverence yet still shout out hard to anyone who enjoys silver/bronze age deep cuts

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Deadpool 3 is an MCU movie

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

kiimo posted:

It isn't The Fly, it's just like The Fly. Wolf Man is way more about the transition and going from protector of his family to threat of his family and takes place in a cabin.

But it's creepy as hell so far (it just started filming)

We showed a short teaser thingy at CinemaCon

Are Abbott and Costello in it?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

the deadpool movies rule because they treat the mcu with a proper lack of reverence yet still shout out hard to anyone who enjoys silver/bronze age deep cuts

It's funny how they have kind of a sidelong continuity. Like, Negasonic or Cable haven't appeared in anything aside from Deadpool.

I feel like much about Reynolds' Deadpool should make me hate it... but Deadpool 2's the last time I was laughing out loud in a movie theater. I've skipped watching the trailer for 3 because I know I'm gonna enjoy it anyway.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

The Greatest Showman made an inexplicably large amount of money

The Front Runner, Bad Education, Reminiscence, and The Son didn't. And Greatest Showman came out the same year as Logan so change it to post-2017.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Colonel Whitey posted:

Deadpool 3 is an MCU movie

and drat it for that

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

kiimo posted:

Man, I'm surprised they're remaking Speak No Evil. A good movie that I don't ever want to watch again. Are they keeping the original ending? That poo poo was nihilistic as gently caress.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

davidspackage posted:

It's funny how they have kind of a sidelong continuity. Like, Negasonic or Cable haven't appeared in anything aside from Deadpool.

They're in the James McAvoy X-Men universe, and those films are all set in the past and there haven't been many new anyway. The only new one that's been filmed since Deadpool 1 is Apocalypse, and that was set in 1992.

Who knows, maybe we'll see them pop up with the X-Men/MCU merger that started with The Marvels that everyone collectively went 'meh' about. I wouldn't be surprised if Negasonic, at least, shows up there.

But yeah in general I think they prefer them to be a side thing where they're set in the 'serious' superhero movie universe but from the point of view of those movies Deadpool doesn't happen because it's got too much silly stuff and time machines. Floaty existence.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 24, 2024

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

anatomi posted:

Man, I'm surprised they're remaking Speak No Evil. A good movie that I don't ever want to watch again. Are they keeping the original ending? That poo poo was nihilistic as gently caress.

The ending is different and from screenings people were cheering and yelling at the screen, it's a more event-experience when they fight back as opposed to that original ending which nobody liked except the true dead-inside people haha

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So it’s like the martyrs remake?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

MikeJF posted:

They're in the James McAvoy X-Men universe, and those films are all set in the past and there haven't been many new anyway. The only new one that's been filmed since Deadpool 1 is Apocalypse, and that was set in 1992.

Nah they don't show up in any of them, and the last one was actually Dark Pheonix (I'm probably the only person who likes or remembers it)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The D in Detroit posted:

Nah they don't show up in any of them, and the last one was actually Dark Pheonix (I'm probably the only person who likes or remembers it)

They have a brief cameo in 2, where they're closing the door behind Deadpool in the mansion. But really the timeline doesn't work out that way, what with technology and references, it's just a funny joke, like Deadpool knowing about McAvoy and Patrick Stewart. Deadpool is in his own little pocket universe.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I also enjoyed Dark Phoenix and thought Sophie Turner caught some undeserved strays for her performance

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The D in Detroit posted:

Oh derp yeah dark phoenix was what I meant to say. Apocalypse was filmed before deadpool came out anyway I think.

But yeah it's meant to be that they're in the 2010s/2020s of the new fox x-men world, I think, at least roughly. (Although deadpool does actually ask in the first movie if he's in the Patrick Stewart version or the James McAvoy one.)

Or at least, the x-men movies are (roughly) canonical to deadpool, but deadpool probably isn't canonical to the x-men movie universe.

At least that's how they've treated it so far but with Deadpool 3 apparently being part of the MCU multiverse who knows what the poo poo they're doing now.

Eh I'm overthinking it anyway.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Apr 24, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

kiimo posted:

The ending is different and from screenings people were cheering and yelling at the screen, it's a more event-experience when they fight back as opposed to that original ending which nobody liked except the true dead-inside people haha

That actually makes giving away almost the entire movie in the trailer kind of clever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Ragnarok/Infinity War double feature was a perfect ending to the MCU for me and I haven't really cared about anything since. Yeah, Endgame was fun as a victory lap for actually pulling off the whole ten year multi-movie thing, and I'm always down for some Spidey action even if the plot sucks, but ehh...

It's like The Snap released all the interest and buildup and tension and now every poke of "don't you wanna see [the FF/Xmen/SheHulk/multiverse poo poo]" just hits a wall of don't care, even though I am a big Marvel fan who reads comics and likes those characters.

Although I also really hate Deadpool, so that doesn't help.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Another trailer for Longlegs. I must admit, I really like how I have no clue what is going to happen in this film even after seeing all of them.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Ron Howard made a documentary about Jim Henson. Can't wait for this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyGFV6VIxkI

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Don't think I've seen this posted, but it's a fun trailer for a fun film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-EixOUCTpY

(That first quote is overselling it though.)

Samovar posted:

Another trailer for Longlegs. I must admit, I really like how I have no clue what is going to happen in this film even after seeing all of them.

Yeah, how long are these legs anyway.

Gonna be pretty pissed off when they're not that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Again I say
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsXyRVQN70U