Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
too relaxed to pay perfect attention is a joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
put me in a sensory deprivation tank and beam the movie into my mind

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I can’t enjoy a bucket of popcorn in a sensory deprivation tank

thats right. you can only enjoy the movie

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Clipperton posted:

If David Lynch had a three year old right now he would be watching movies on his phone in two-minute chunks during toilet breaks and he'd be thankful for it

he would probabky just not watch movies i think

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

buddhanc posted:

Pretty sure this thread is the highest concentration of autism on these forums with the pecker person leading the way

Jesus

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

you must not read much of these forums

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno man, these composites always get me, and I don't even have kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m367at4eGso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQGbqoWJ9Lc

Together I'd say they're probably the single most evocative demonstration of childhood in all of cinema, regarding the interplay of nurture+authority

lol that shits retarded, the first five minutes of where the wild things are is a million times more evocative

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiimo posted:

I was in the thread where they were made, getting a rise out of people or any kind of other lofty goals were invented after the fact. It was strictly for twisted comedy from sick people on these here dying forums.

those twisted, sick motherfuckers that put yakety sax over disaster footage.......they were real monsters.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

porfiria posted:

Oof I didn't realize Krampus man was directing. I wasn't a big fan of that one.

krampus rules

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Open your tiny human eyes to the new Alita trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pYhpJaJW8

looks surprisingly faithful but not violent enough (needs more bare brains getting hosed up and eaten and poo poo)

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
alita rules and that movie is gonna be just like gits but with fewer rear end nerds getting mad bc alita never got an adult swim show ten yrs ago lol

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
just like gits because gits was a solid movie all in all.....stylish & memorable. hopefully this will be more faithful (gits only used iconic imagery from the og gits movie w/o the good context that made it work) gits is ghost in the shell btw. also alita is only really a manga so theres less to brazenly rob

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

Why are you mad about this poo poo? It's a loving superhero, their entire job is to beat up mentally-ill people and minorities.

captain marvel beats up aliens

e: outer space aliens

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Peanut President posted:

so she's an imperialist

shes a space pinkerton

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ya lets see unforgiven but w eastwood in the hackman role

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

porfiria posted:

The cynicism is entirely on the side of those who use your childhood associations to sell you flavor water.

a setting is a setting. if people just liked it because it has 80s references they wouldnt reference the plot nearly as much when talking about it. think about what people say when they reference the show in conversation: they talk about the upside-down, or eleven, or the christmas lights or the sheriff. they usually dont talk about how 80s it is, because the only way its 80s is in its setting

and your comparison is disingenuous as flavor water costs a buck a bottle and stranger things is part of an ubiquitous package subscription at no additional cost. its like if buying one bottle of water let you drink everything else in the cooler too

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
also producers being greedy has sometimes had a positive effect on shows with large budgets because producers like to gamble and hiring true believer artist directors is a big gamble with potentially huge payout. one pitfall is that sometimes true believers are not artists and direct awful garbage like heroes that fails horribly and has to be micromanaged to eke out a profit before completely falling apart

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Aww, man. This is the movie people were guessing was an adaptation of the Grant Morrison comic, Nameless.
Compare the symbol in the movie (which Gunn had previously posted as a teaser) to this one in the comic:

Actually, in looking up Nameless, I found this interview with Morrison and Gunn in the lead-up to the comic where they talk about possibly adapting We3 (another GM comic.)
https://comicbook.com/2014/10/14/grant-morrison-and-james-gunn-discuss-nameless-and-a-possible-we/
So maybe it's still be a stealth Nameless thing.
In the comic, the symbol was a rune on an evil satan asteroid that turned people crazy and homicidal. The kid could have a chunk of it as a stand-in for kryptonite or some poo poo.

edit:
https://twitter.com/MinovskyArticle/status/1019384549221027840

The whole thing is obviously 'what if superman was a creepy evil kid', so why not?

lol i cant believe its just the brand of sacrifice from berserk

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm adding that to the list of "authors/estates with bad opinions about adaptations". it's called the Roald Dahl Has Terrible Taste list because he hated the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie so much that his estate forced that godawful Tim Burton/Johnny Depp one upon all of us.

but there are plenty of other authors on the list too. Stephen King for not liking The Shining, the Tolkein estate for being annoyed with the Peter Jackson trilogy, etc etc.

fwiw the gdt hellboy movies are not faithful to the character at all outside of surface details, hellboy is more of an experienced and well schooled witcher than precocious new york cop

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol the premise is extremely obscure, theres no way any of u can qualify calling it dumb

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
someone try summarizing the premise qnd explain why its dumb

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
goons confused by actors ability to manipulate facial expression

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
but obviously evil ernest was played by a different actor

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Proteus Jones posted:

Blomhack. That's clever. You're a clever person.

hes still mad about halo

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

kiimo posted:

I can qualify it by saying the scariest part of horror movies for me is the fear of the unknown. I have no idea why these people are being stalked by themselves or what motivations the entity portraying themselves might have but the fact that it IS themselves is inherently less scary because of it.

I loved Get Out and will watch this. I'm just saying that the premise looks less scary because how scared should one be about themselves? Maybe they'll work out why that is MORE scary? Because it knows what you're thinking or whatever? I could get behind that but on first watch Bad Me is not topping any of my Most Terrifying lists.

you just said “dumb premise” before but i guess u saw bird box between then and now and finally found a perspective u think isnt fatuous. but it is

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Lou stayed in the past and used his knowledge of Google existing to somehow beat them to the post (which doesn't make any actual sense, but hey). This promptly sets up the sequel that was utter garbage.

lou also starts motley crue which is probably what hes referring to

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i want to edit that trailer so the songs hes playing are wild honey pie, glass onion, birthday, etc

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
james corden: i want you to write a song, right here, right now.
guy: uhh, ok. [starts slamming harpsichord] desmond has a barrow in the marketplace, molly is the singer in a band

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
[screeching voice]: honey piiiee. honey piiiee
[awestruck onlookers]: thats beautiful....when did you write that?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

I remember the guy in the British series Goodnight Sweetheart doing the Pass Off The Beatles As Your Own in a pub in WWII

https://twitter.com/seanoneal/status/1095703685504614403

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGj-atRlTk0

this guy stole my joke.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
is that an adaptation of the oneill play

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
first blood is an extremely good movie though

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Venuz Patrol posted:

are there any whodunnit movies in the past thirty years other than Clue?

A Perfect Getaway

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

so is Mulan straight out not even bothering to pretend she's a guy? Or are they doing the finale scene in the battlefield instead of that whole thing with the emperor

think thats a fantasy sequence

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Gotta say that the weird inflatable plastic aesthetic of all pixar and pixar-influenced animation from the last 20 years looks extemely crap, and I think the supplanting of cel-animation techniques by grotesque CG homogenaeity is a loving shame. An entire generation lost to lovely animation.

its actually all shreks fault

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
tree of life is boring rich white guy crap and im embarrassed to have thought it would be interesting because it had dinosaurs and metaphysical universe stuff in it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Looking forward to not watching the incredibly lovely looking film about Fox News from the director of Meet The Fockers.

Reminds me of another pile of poo poo from last year, Vice, a film that gave a pass to a war criminal.

vice is absolutely damning to everyone involved

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i seee that this subject has been covered......but i still feel that i have to point out that bales line at the end is clearly intended to be ironic and the movie spends a lot of time showing you that he cares about nothing but power.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Vice is shallow, incoherent, and maddeningly glib; the topic (and the deceased) deserve a better effort if one is to be made at all. To claim that it's somehow representative of competent satire is disingenuous, at best. gently caress that movie and the people who shill for it for no other reason than to gain internet prestige.

lol u are dumb as rocks

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Unfortunately I did watch Vice.

I never said it was intentional.

what did u think of the scene where the movie literally explains to u that dick cheney is responsible for isis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Peccadillo posted:

Why on earth has there been a new Stephen King adaptation every three seconds for the last couple years across a bunch of different studios?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I03MAkQ_OyM

there werent any at all in 2018